Register now to get rid of these ads!

What's the strongest epoxy resin available?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hudsoncustom, Jul 13, 2005.

1. Ok, here's the problem. The 62 Olds has a broken turn signal cam, and I spent the better part of a year looking for one. I finally found one out of a junkyard in Texas and bought it, had it shipped....

Fast forward to today, I go to install the damn thing and it has a crack in it! These parts are not the easiest things to find, so I figure I'll try and epoxy the thing.

Is JB weld as strong as they advertise, or is there a better product out there I can get my mitts on?

2. jb weld is the best in my opinion

3. 30roadster

30roadster

Is the cam metal or plastic? before you JB weld the new one with only a crack in it. Take an impression of it. You can impress the piece and make a duplicate. post a picture and lets see what can be done. a piece can be cast in plastic or metal.

4. seymour

seymour
    from PNW

devcon is killer stuff.

5. Try this stuff called Cool Chem. It's this new space age stuff kinda like super glue but much better. Comes with this activator and once glued, it's glued for good. I bought some and tested in several kinds of plastics and rubber materials and can not get it to break at the glue joint. They recently sent me an e-mail about some promotional stuff they have. I bought the promo stuff to as it was all I needed and it's expensive, so a small amount was good. Anyway they may still have the promo stuff.
    On their web site were it says ESPN promo code, type sr5 to get the deal. You won't be disappointed. http://www.coolchem.com/
    BTW, I am in no way affiliated with this co. Just used their product and really liked it.

6. mule

mule

If you know someone in the aviation industry the best resin is a product by HYSOL call ea9394na. This stuff is a boeing approaved resin, it will stick basically anything to anything. You don't want to buy a kit as it costs about $600.00 aus for a 1kg kit. Devcon is a good product also. The main thing is that you clean all traces of grease and oil from the crack. Use acetone or MEK for this. Depending on the part etc . if you sand the surface and lay a very fine (2oz) fibreglass cloth on all sides it will never fall apart.

Hope this helps