Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #1
NealinCA
Alliance Member

Default ***TECH: 32 RPU Project - Making a RPU into an SUV***

Some say Hot Rods dont have rumble seats. That may be the case, but what fun are these old cars with out family and friends.

My brother Mark made a suggestion early on. He said…why don’t you hide some jump seats in the bed for the kids…I’m just not sure if he meant my wife and our 2 kids…or my dad and the three of us “kids”. Anyway, this was when I first hauled the cab home and was just in the planning stages of the build. His idea was to find a floorpan out of a small car…like a Falcon or maybe an import that had fold down rear seats. I started searching the wrecking yards and couldn’t find anything that would fit the space. Then my brother Paul came across a couple of 32 floorpans, one out of a 3W and the other from a Vicky. I was able to borrow the 3W pan for a test fit. It was close to what I wanted, but to fit everything under the floor I would still need to heavily modify the 32 pan. I couldn’t make myself spend the money on something I was going to cut up so much, so I started to make the whole deal from scratch. The plan was to copy the proportions of the 3W pan, just tweak the dimensions to make everything fit. I then made some lucky swapmeet finds, a rear seat pan that had been cut out of a 32 Fordor and the lower rear floor out of what I think is Model A Vicky. I then rounded up a 26-27 T roadster seat riser…thanks to Mild Mitch. With these pieces, I had enough old Ford parts to blend together and end up with something that looked like Henry had made.
Here’s the 32 Fordor Seatpan and Model A Vicky Floorpan in “as found” condition.

And the Model T Roadster Seat Riser as Mitch sent it to me.

Here are the pieces clamped in place for an initial mockup. The square tube clamped across the frame is where the front panel of the bed will sit, so the footwells continue up under the back of the cab.

Now that there was a plan in place for the “rumble seat”…I had to build the rest of the truck around it. The rear suspension had to be set up so nothing would interfere with the floorpan…shocks, exhaust, gas tank, battery, radius rods, etc. ‘36 rear radius rods were Z-d to keep them low. The torque arm was mounted low on the banjo as well. Lever shocks were mounted out board the frame. E-brake cables were run in conduit in order to keep them down low and out of the way. A small gell-cell racecar battery was tucked under the floorboard. Exhaust was kept minimal using a pair of ‘36 driveshaft “lakes pipes” ending under the back of the cab.

With the floorpan extending up under the cab, that lead to making a toe-kick area in the lower section of the cab, behind the seat. The lower section of the cab was cut out. Then a piece of square tube was formed to continue the lower body line up and around the opening. A pocket was formed and welded inside, as well as steel bracing to replace the factory wood.

I had some much needed help along the way...

To ease the space constraints a little, the floor in the bed was raised 2”. A slice was taken out of the middle of the front panel to keep it stock appearing as well.

Once the foundation was all in place, it was time to start on the actual seat part of the project. I decided to form new, deeper bottoms for the seat pans. Even with the floor raised 2 inches, I needed the additional depth to allow for the seat back to fold down below the level of the floor.

Then it was time to start fitting the pieces together in place. The Model a floor piece…once split down the middle became just the right width. I just needed to form a driveshaft tunnel to tie them together.

I formed the tunnel around one of the pipe columns in my shop. It ended up needing a little extra room on the right side for the torque arm…so I made a little kick out using a home-made bull-nose die in the leaf brake.

The Model T seat riser got sliced and diced. I wanted to keep as much of it’s character as possible, so after it was cut down to size, I re-formed the raised panels, which ended up much like the originals, just much smaller.

With the seat riser cut down I had almost all of the puzzle pieces in place..and with some cardboard for lower cushions it actually was starting to look like I had envisioned.

I de-rusted all of the pieces so I could start welding them together.

The driveshaft tunnel was flanged and got plug welded into the floor pans.

Then I needed to come up with some way to hinge the backrest. I made up some hinges from square stock and tack welded some brackets to the center bed cross-member.

Project pics: http://instagram.com/nealinca
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 12:00 AM   #2
NealinCA
Alliance Member

Default Re: ***TECH: 32 RPU Project - Making a RPU into an SUV***

With the hinges in place, I was able to set the location of the seat pan, as it all needed to clear when the back was folded down.

I fabricated four tabs to use as seat belt anchor points. This also gave me a place to bolt the seat pan to, so another piece of the puzzle was fixed in place.

With the seat pan in place, I started the tedious job of filling in the missing pieces.

After everything was tacked together, I pulled the whole floor pan out for finish welding. Since I had recently bought a TIG machine, this was a good opportunity to practice.

I then cut in some pockets for the seat frame to fold down into. Don’t look too close at my welds, I have a lot to learn still.

When the seat pan was finally completed, I gave it an phosphoric acid and Scotchbrite scrub to brighten it up and make it look a little more uniform…like it was supposed to be one piece. Also note here, the flange on the front of the pan bolts to a flange of the cab sub-frame, making it somewhat sealed from the elements on the bottom side.

Moving back to the upper seat frame, I welded in some tabs to mount the seat cushion.

Then cut a piece of plywood to shape. This piece will be used to attach the upholstery, but I wanted it finished off from the backside as well. I was going for a commercial/utilitarian look, kind of like a school bus or a Jeep. So rather than upholstering the backside of the seat cushion, I used the plywood as a hammerform and formed a sheetmetal back with a ¼” flange.

I had my official test fitters try it out again....

I then cut out some 2” high density foam to fit the seat cushion frames, tacked on some temporary canvas seat covers and installed seat belts.

Because this is what this project was all about…

Maybe Hot Rods can have rumble seats after all.

Project pics: http://instagram.com/nealinca
Old 09-09-2011, 12:07 AM   #3
Hitchhiker
Old School HAMBer

Brilliant.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #4
GARY?

nothing short of amazing.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM   #5
cactus1
Alliance Member

I give up.
That rules.

Check out my '34 Chevy truck build thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=371802
Old 09-09-2011, 12:12 AM   #6
mattcrp1

WOW... cant wait to see the next phase.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #7
MR. FORD

The truck rules, and your ideas turned out something really great. Hats off...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:18 AM   #8
scottybaccus
Old School HAMBer

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but this just makes me want to burn down my shop with everything in it. I am a feeble minded wann-be....

And I am so gonna steal this idea!

Tejas Malcontents, Hutto

Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #9
Dyce

That's just plain cool!! Nice work on the floor. What did you use to make the beads? They look really good and finished off nice on the ends. Your welds look fine by the way.

Growing up my Dad had a closed cab model a pickup with 3 kids. It would have been tight, but you back seat would have been better then sitting on the hard wood floor bouncing around with no seatbelts.... I survived

Just drill into your kids heads to keep there hands clear of the tires!!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:20 AM   #10
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Really nice addition to a great truck! It never rains in California so no drain holes are need in the floorpan, not so here on the East Coast.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:24 AM   #11
lil_screamer29
FNG

wow, thats really cool
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #12
40streetrod

i bet it was the cute little helper's idea all along.
great idea - workmanship and just plain amazing
gets my vote for this weeks tech thread winner
Old 09-09-2011, 12:56 AM   #13
coupeHEAD

Wow! Your tech and build threads never cease to amaze me. Great idea and nice execution. That's one way to haul your kids around legally in a truck bed again.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #14
attitudor
Old School HAMBer

We have a winner.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:21 AM   #15
RoadFarmer
Alliance Member

Wow way cool!

"That can't be your car, that must be your Moma's car"
Old 09-09-2011, 02:24 AM   #16
THE_DUDE
Old School HAMBer

Great idea,and Outstandig work
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #17
RocketDaemon

awesome!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:29 AM   #18
HotRod33

That is pretty dam cool..........
Old 09-09-2011, 03:17 AM   #19
woodbox

SpecFrikkentacular!! You my friend are a visionary! Well done!

There is only one sure thing in this life.....and that's doubt.....I think!
Old 09-09-2011, 03:38 AM   #20
striper
Old School HAMBer

My first time on here this week. I haven't checked out the rest of the tech threads but I say you win. That is such a good home grown idea, well executed.

Pete

http://www.readersdigest.com.au/most-trusted-professions-2013