Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-08-2011, 10:52 PM   #1
CRUZN60
Grenade Inspector

Default Barn find or Hoarding!

This is just amazing. I wish it was all mine, or at least everyone on the H.A.M.B. could have something to enjoy.
All three videos are incredible.
Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBJ962eRGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47qCXxoKwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZbDC4BakU
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2011, 10:56 PM   #2
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Barn find or Hoarding!

BARN FIND! Thanks for posting the links, it has been a hot topic on several websites all week long. I really want to know how they can run an auction with that many items in an orderly way. Thanks for saving all that stuff Lee!
Old 09-08-2011, 11:01 PM   #3
cakes

thats a hoarder, sorry, its just a bit excessive. People could use all of those things, Like me and you. All of it will never be touched by one guy. Just my opinion.

Looking for a 1957 GMC front lower filler panel, it goes behind the bumper
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-08-2011, 11:05 PM   #4
bobj49f2

I know a guy with a pole building that looks almost like that. He has newer '50 and '60 cars stored away on the ground floor. He built a mezzine above one row of cars, when that got full of car parts he built another mezzine on the other side. When that got full of car parts he spanned a floor across and now has that filled with car parts. He just keep on buying. His kids are going to have one heck of an auction when he departs our world.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #5
johnny bondo

wow...... just wow.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #6
speedyb

A pretty well known auction house is handling this "COLLECTION"
Old 09-08-2011, 11:26 PM   #7
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

if I had the space and money I'd have a place just like that. spend all my time hunting for cool stuff. sounds like fun to me.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:33 PM   #8
billsill45

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49ratfink View Post
if I had the space and money I'd have a place just like that. spend all my time hunting for cool stuff. sounds like fun to me.
So would I, but then we'd have to listen to others bitch and whine about us being "hoarders". The stuff is out there ... we just have to get off our dead asses and go find it.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:42 PM   #9
funk 49
Grenade Inspector

incredible collection
Old 09-08-2011, 11:46 PM   #10
titus
Old School HAMBer

Very cool collection, i was able to go there a couple of years ago, its was a neat time.

And if someones got the money to buy something all the more power to them, think about it, they probably saved alot of stuff from being scrapped etc etc, hoarders=savers.

jeff
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #11
Don's Hot Rods
Old School HAMBer

While I realize it was his money to do with as he pleased, and we all have our little stashes we won't part with, that one just makes no sense at all. There is no way he could ever get to 1/100 of those cars to do anything with them, and all it did was keep them away from hot rodders or restorers who WOULD have put them on the road and enjoyed them.

I find it very sad on a couple of levels, but maybe now that he is gone lots of cars and parts will make hundreds of people happy instead of just one man. At least he stored them nice and dry, so the new owners will have a pretty good start.

Don
Old 09-08-2011, 11:52 PM   #12
hemi

That's insane...
Old 09-08-2011, 11:58 PM   #13
krooser
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes View Post
thats a hoarder, sorry, its just a bit excessive. People could use all of those things, Like me and you. All of it will never be touched by one guy. Just my opinion.
And now you will have a chance to own them...thanks to the guy who saved them from the crusher when they were worthless...
Old 09-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #14
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Personally I think it is great that a guy can amass a collection of stuff like this, it made him happy, and every item had a story, he enjoyed showing the collection to others I've been told. A car or motorcycle doesn't have to be on the road to be enjoyed, its art and history just sitting there.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:10 AM   #15
49ratfink
Old School HAMBer

I don't see how anyone can condemn that as anything but a very enjoyable passtime. here's a clue for the clueless.. cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection. I guess I should give them to kids so they can play with them.

I think the people who don't get it don't realize the search and discovery of cool old junk is a very big part of it. thats why I loved ebay before they fucked it all up... I could go to a swap meet or antique show and spend the rent money on cool stuff, then sell some morejunk and still pay rent. I enjoyed the search. I sure the fuck didn't do it for the money. could have made more as a clerk at 7-11.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:15 AM   #16
FoMoCoPower
Old School HAMBer

And only a hop skip and jump away from me,guss I`ll go broke at this one......
Old 09-09-2011, 12:31 AM   #17
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

By the way Lee was a junk man by trade, he was paid to clean out peoples garages and estates, thankfully he saw the historical value in this stuff and preserved it.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:36 AM   #18
slddnmatt
Old School HAMBer

maybe ill have some money to play with by then! what an awesome collection, overload of cool stuff.. what the heck is the twin grilled 37 ford looking thing?? or is that what it exactley is?

Matt Townsend
Townsends Customs & Hotrods
951-833-1835
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 AM   #19
Retro Jim
Old School HAMBer

I am totally speechless to what I saw ! I wouldn't call it hoarding because everything had it's own place so you can see what he had . Hoarders just though stuff in piles and have no idea on what they have . They just keep everything from rags to junk . This collection tells you what the man saw in many different things through out his lifetime ! It amazes me how well he had everything in place so you can walk around and see what he collected ! I can't even imagine how many cars , trucks , motorcycles he has in that collection alone . Not to even think about the other things he collected . He didn't collect just one thing either . He collected everything he saw that was worth looking at and saving that he had through his "entire life" in there . It's a life time of memories that that man saw and did and he wanted to save everything he did in his lifetime to enjoy and remember when he got older in his life ! Everything in there has a meaning that only he knew what it meant to him .
That has to be the largest collection of history I have ever seen in one place ! As for the value of everything , that will go into many , many millions of dollars and some of those items are very rare too !
Thanks for posting this for all of us to see the many things we will never see again ! I guess when it does come up to auction , it's going to take a very long time to take inventory of everything in his collection . I will be very curious to see what the total final value of his lifetime of savings is worth !

Retro Jim
Old 09-09-2011, 01:03 AM   #20
FoMoCoPower
Old School HAMBer

November 3-5,2011 Glenview,IL
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 AM   #21
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Retro Jim! There is a thread on this auction on the AACA website, there will be catalogs for the auction at Hershey. How this much stuff can be auctioned in three days just has to be seen to be believed. They can't catalog everything, must just plan to start at the door and sell stuff until the building is empty.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:22 AM   #22
Dyce

About 3 minuits into the first video it looks like a slant windsheild on a stock 30-31 model a coupe?!!

I would love to meat the guy and talk to him about some of the history behind the stuff if he is still around. Is this an estate sale?

You buy stuff and nobody bitches until you sell it for more and make a profit. You buy stuff and keep it and get to a collection like this and people bitch and call it hoarding. He was a caretaker the way I look at it, and he paid the price I'm sure for the responsablity. It looks like he takes or took great care of everthing. Good for him!!
Old 09-09-2011, 01:38 AM   #23
stude_trucks
Old School HAMBer

Awesome. Looks a bit chaotic at first, but then actually fairly well organized if you look at it. Sounds like he literally saved the junk people wanted to toss out. Too bad it can't just be preserved like that.
Old 09-09-2011, 02:04 AM   #24
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

STUNNED!! The dual grill 37inish car was crazy. This sale will last a long time, enjoyed seeing this. The dirt floor was a shame as a lot of stuff has been damaged by dust etc. But thats the way it goes, should be the find of the decade. Thanks for the excellent footage. ~sololobo~
Old 09-09-2011, 02:10 AM   #25
Barn Find T
Alliance Member

He loved it so much he saved it all for the people that show up at the auction.

Some really awesome pieces!! I wish I could come to see it all. Amazing!
Old 09-09-2011, 02:36 AM   #26
n.z.rodder

Holy sweet jeebus christmas !!!!
My wife is saying "no you can't"
I've just given my 18yo son a slapping for saying " he'd sell it all" (where did I go wrong).
That's what I want my shed to look like.

Scotty.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:30 AM   #27
brad chevy
Old School HAMBer

The calling this guy a hoarder is just from flat jealousy that you don"t have the stuff. I say the guy enjoyed what he did in life. Would have been nice to have met him and even nicer to have been with him on the long journey collecting all those things. A hoarder is someone that piles up meaningless shit but this is a well organized collection of stuff. The guys calling him a hoarder are in the same group that give advice like (Just wait till the old guy dies then you can buy it cheap from the kids ).
Old 09-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #28
nefareous
Grenade Inspector

Lee Roy Hartung, may he R.I.P., was a collector Not a hoarder...........
Old 09-09-2011, 05:07 AM   #29
ARTSWRK
Grenade Inspector

Wow!! very cool!
Old 09-09-2011, 05:38 AM   #30
Doc.
Alliance Member

Wow! I would have loved to talk to this guy. Could you imagine the stories he had to tell. It looks like a well organized collection to me,and I'm sure it brought him great joy. I bet he knew where every piece was.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:13 AM   #31
Ray C's son
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc. View Post
Wow! I would have loved to talk to this guy. Could you imagine the stories he had to tell. It looks like a well organized collection to me,and I'm sure it brought him great joy. I bet he knew where every piece was.
And where they came from. Yep, it's a collection not a hoard.

KRH
online   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #32
rodknocker

What an amazing collection!
Old 09-09-2011, 07:06 AM   #33
biggeorge
Alliance Member

That's one great collection!!I wish i was closer, i'd love to see it before it gets split up. It would of been fun to talk to him about it.He did a great job of preserving the past.
1940 Ford Coupe
1932 Ford pick up
1930 Buick coupe
1924/28 Buick speedster
Old 09-09-2011, 07:16 AM   #34
Krash

What an amazing collection! Too bad it couldn't all be kept together for his family or be made into a museum.
It reminds me of the warehouse scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark.
I hope someone at least takes a lot of photos of his collection before it gets broken up!

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ
Old 09-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #35
oldfart36
Alliance Member

Wow, how humbling.

The old saying "The one with the most toys, when he dies, wins" really applies here.

Great stuff, thanks for posting this.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:37 AM   #36
Griznant

Incredible! I would agree this is a collection, not a hoard. He obviously spent some real time putting things together and grouping items, but still being able to actually SEE everything by walking through. A hoarder would just keep throwing shit into the back until it was full, and then work on the next layer, and up and up until you couldn't even get in. I'm grateful for people who collect like this because it gives the next generation some really interesting things to see.

Plus, those hoarding shows are scary. I have a hard time seeing where hoarding is not just full-on laziness.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:40 AM   #37
oj
Alliance Member

Theres a barn not far from me that is almost like that, packed. Old single cyl harleys with the original tires petrified, at least 2 curve dash olds; t's, a's thru the 30's fords a dodge or two, a cadillac tow truck, stacks of license plates, carbs and intakes hanging - it is actually 2 barns and i think there is stuff in a few outbuildings as well. The guy just loves to buy stuff, i've seen him at auctions etc and he'll show me an old toy tractor that he got, excited as if he'd won the lottery, and he knows exactly where he put it in his collection. We call them 'hoarders' with derision but they are really preservers. People like that rarely change what they get, they'll talk about it and what needs to be done etc but decades after the purchase the piece will look just like they bought it. Look at that barn in the video, all that stuff is preserved - he has maintained the building in such a way that the stuff is safe and protected. It may not look like a state of the art climate controlled enclosure, but it is damn close.
Old 09-09-2011, 07:41 AM   #38
STEPHEN FIELDS
Old School HAMBer

whats up with that zephre V12 with the two 37 Ford grills on it?....there was an old picture of it too...anyone catch that?
Old 09-09-2011, 08:07 AM   #39
1stGrumpy
Alliance Member

Amazing! Simply amazing...

http://www.clarksvillecinema.com
Old 09-09-2011, 08:14 AM   #40
Verbal Kint
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don's Hot Rods View Post
While I realize it was his money to do with as he pleased, and we all have our little stashes we won't part with, that one just makes no sense at all. There is no way he could ever get to 1/100 of those cars to do anything with them, and all it did was keep them away from hot rodders or restorers who WOULD have put them on the road and enjoyed them.

I find it very sad on a couple of levels, but maybe now that he is gone lots of cars and parts will make hundreds of people happy instead of just one man. At least he stored them nice and dry, so the new owners will have a pretty good start.

Don
Would you say the same thing about Leno? Ralph Lauren?

Does Leno or Lauren enjoy there "collection" any more or less than Lee did over his 50 years of collecting.

Thanks Lee, blue collar lifestyle.... blue chip collection
Old 09-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #41
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

Just because he didn't pay for a museum quality building and a curator, sure doesn't mean it's not a collection. I can't afford to collect cars like that, but I do collect. Many of my friends that also collect things completely understand and endorse collecting, but those who don't collect anything always look at any collection with a different eye.
Collectors are just caretakers of items until they die and it's spread around to other collectors. We should thank them for preserving the history, not condemn them for hoarding things.
Most of the stuff would be ruined if they didn't preserve it. Even as dusty as this collection is, it's still preserved better than sitting outside rusting. I get mad when I see cool stuff disolving or rotting away, unprotected, and the owner wont care for it, and wont sell it. That's my definition of a hoarder, when they wont take care of it, and wont let someone else do it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:41 AM   #42
htweelz
Grenade Inspector

I'd call it a museum! Some really neat stuff there and it will be nice to see it go to others to enjoy but I collect Hot Wheels and other things and have them on display in the basement and office. Some people don't get it and some do. I just like sitting there looking at the items and remembering where I bought it or if it has a cool story behind it.
Old 09-09-2011, 08:54 AM   #43
haychrishay

Amazing....simply amazing.....but the first 10 seconds of the 1 st video say's it all !
Old 09-09-2011, 08:59 AM   #44
clubcoupe37

anyone see the second video..he pans by a '37 ford with two hoods? whats that about, anymore information on that?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:08 AM   #45
abone1930

Awesome collector. Looks like a collector to me. A guy who lets it rot in a field not selling it or doing anything with it is a Hoarder
When are they auctioning all that stuff off, or have they?
Old 09-09-2011, 09:15 AM   #46
RDP
Grenade Inspector

That is an amazing collection. It makes you wonder how many more are out there like it.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #47
brushape
Grenade Inspector

Nice collection love to have just one of them. At least he has them inside and not on a field rotting
Old 09-09-2011, 09:29 AM   #48
56don
Old School HAMBer

OK, that is not hoarding. That is collecting. It actually looks pretty well arranged but the order may only be known to Lee. If the family were smart, they would take a year or two to auction off that stuff one section at a time. There are lots of small things there that collectors would love to have if given notice well in advance so they could plan to attend. I have been to auctions that were too big and some good stuff went pretty cheap because there weren't enough interested bidders there for that particular niche of property.
Old 09-09-2011, 09:49 AM   #49
Molina

At least for the most part, things are in a neat orderly fashion. I wouldn't consider it hoarding where junk is stacked everywhere and you can't walk around .
Old 09-09-2011, 09:53 AM   #50
CTFuzz
Old School HAMBer

Location: the smallest town in the smallest county in the smallest state

He wins.......................
Old 09-09-2011, 10:02 AM   #51
Slick Willy
Old School HAMBer

Heres more on the the custom 36 Lincoln!
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ellow-machine/
Old 09-09-2011, 10:04 AM   #52
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Hoarding...collecting...arguing about the difference.
There is a mindset today that goes against everything that is free enterprise.
I have had 'visitors' come to my house and say "You're never going to get around to that, why not give someone else a chance to learn?" (Learn?)
I have relatives that lust for things I have found and brought home. One asked for years about a 5 gallon Moon fuel tank complete with tri-bladed cap, and brackets and attached pump. He said he wanted to use it on his roadster. (Chico asked to borrow the cap to have it copied for the Mooneyes stock, as there wasn't one to copy from)
I finally gave in to the relative, he begged for it for so long...a month later, he sold it on EBay.
There are jealous types everywhere, some extreme enough to crash commercial flights full of people into buildings to rid the world of 'capitalistic hoarding infidels'.
My message: Try not to be so judgemental. Go get your own. Mind your own business.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:07 AM   #53
Jake D 56
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Mike View Post
I have had 'visitors' come to my house and say "You're never going to get around to that, why not give someone else a chance to learn?" (Learn?)
I have relatives that lust for things I have found and brought home. One asked for years about a 5 gallon Moon fuel tank complete with tri-bladed cap, and brackets and attached pump. He said he wanted to use it on his roadster. (Chico asked to borrow the cap to have it copied for the Mooneyes stock, as there wasn't one to copy from)
I finally gave in to the relative, he begged for it for so long...a month later, he sold it on EBay.
There are jealous types everywhere, some extreme enough to crash commercial flights full of people into buildings to rid the world of 'capitalistic hoarding infidels'.
My message: Try not to be so judgemental. Go get your own. Mind your own business.

Well Said!!
Old 09-09-2011, 10:10 AM   #54
jipp

that is way cool. iv met guys like this and they love the thrill of the hunt.. and yes, he loved his cars as much as leno.. just did not have the resources to do what leno dose... but hell if you watch leno garage show.. what makes him smile the most.. old cars that have not been touched.. leno would dig a few of the cars in here and then get them on the road and drive them till they break down on the high way.. heh.. this is very well organized once you get past so much stuff.. his job gave him some great deals im sure.. but he was collecting this stuff before people decided they would make as much money off baby boomers as possible.
rock on.. you did good, now there will be lots of new old cars on the roads cause of this one mans collection.
chris.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #55
jipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick Willy View Post
Heres more on the the custom 36 Lincoln!
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...ellow-machine/

heh, i had to do a double take on that.. no photoshop back then so they had to build the stuff to get the results they wanted. im sure no one wanted that car at one point.. but this an saw it for what it was... saved a part of our history.. cool stuff.

i do wish this auction would not happen over such a short period. but i guess thats why people go to auctions to get good deals.

iv watched this three time snow and see something different every time.. out of his whole collection, i would take any of his cars they all seem to be in almost used car dealer ship condition.. its like add some fluids and gas and go for a ride is the feeling i get. heh.. anyhow, minus a car... i want the old RC airplane in the rafters shown in video 1.. man that would be so cool to own/fly.. id probably build a replica of it tho.. but who knows im a decent stick.
chris.

Last edited by jipp; 09-09-2011 at 10:39 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 10:40 AM   #56
Larry T
Old School HAMBer

I'll bet everyone of the folks that bitch about hoarders shows up at the auction and takes something home, right?

I don't think so, Tim. (Al Bourland voice)

Old 09-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #57
jackjohn
FNG

just, think, if it was,nt for hoarders we wouldnt have any of the old stuff to work with, it would been crushed by now. ha ha

john
Old 09-09-2011, 10:49 AM   #58
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
krooser[/B];6937261]And now you will have a chance to own them...thanks to the guy who saved them from the crusher when they were worthless...
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
The37Kid[/I];6937270]Personally I think it is great that a guy can amass a collection of stuff like this, it made him happy, and every item had a story, he enjoyed showing the collection to others I've been told. A car or motorcycle doesn't have to be on the road to be enjoyed, its art and history just sitting there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [I
49ratfink[/I];6937289]I don't see how anyone can condemn that as anything but a very enjoyable passtime. here's a clue for the clueless.. cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection. I guess I should give them to kids so they can play with them.

I think the people who don't get it don't realize the search and discovery of cool old junk is a very big part of it. thats why I loved ebay before they fucked it all up... I could go to a swap meet or antique show and spend the rent money on cool stuff, then sell some morejunk and still pay rent. I enjoyed the search. I sure the fuck didn't do it for the money. could have made more as a clerk at 7-11.
Thank God! Three voices of common sense. If he hadn't spent countless hours gathering, protecting AND ENJOYING this stuff, probably ALL would have gone the way of the do-do bird long ago! Just keep looking and keep an erar to the ground. It ALL has to come out, eventually.

(And DITTO on the FeeBay comment above! I MISS it, but it will NEVER go back.)
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #59
Slick Willy
Old School HAMBer

Im going to split the argment here based on a few things...

It appears that one time he had this place set up for public viewing like a museum, if you noticed he had a donation box near the back of the room and nearly everything was labeled for reference...this is what a collector who wants the public to enjoy his things does...

then you have cabbage patch dolls, a bad version of optimus prime, and frankly a bunch of crap thrown in on top! At some point this gentleman went from an amazing collector to , sorry to say it, a hoarder...

Not to say this collection isnt amazing, christ theres a Veritas under all the stuff!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:07 AM   #60
alsancle

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser View Post
And now you will have a chance to own them...thanks to the guy who saved them from the crusher when they were worthless...

This is a point that is lost on those that think it's a shame a hoarder had all that cool. Without guys like this, most of the stuff would have been crushed or thrown away years ago.
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #61
RichtersRodz
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by krooser View Post

That exactly what I was thinking.. If they had seen light of day 40 years
ago, they might have been crushed and made into a washing machine or
something..

But WOW!!! What a collection.. All of those A's lined up like that.. Amazing!!
Old 09-09-2011, 11:12 AM   #62
billylo

Wow......I could spend days looking through all of this stuff. I hope I don't have money when the auction starts, because I would kill for some of this stuff....
1933 roadster "steel"
1934 5 window "steel"
Old 09-09-2011, 11:15 AM   #63
alsancle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atwater Mike View Post
Thank you. Free enterprise is what generates productivity. Some people are just not productive so they look over the fence with envy at the productive guy. Quit worrying about the other guy.

Last edited by alsancle; 09-09-2011 at 11:54 AM.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:22 PM   #64
MrModelT
Alliance Member

"The Lee R. Hartung Collection" Is truly a masterpiece and a mind blower! The videos posted are fantastic, but I guarantee DO NOT do this collection justice in the least. They most likely show just a small portion of what his massive collection includes.

It really does make one sad, especially from a collector's point of view, that this collection is soon for the auction block.....much like a fantastic 150+ year old building facing the wrecking ball...it is sad to see it broken up. It reminds me, in a way, of the destruction of the Harrah Collection. At the same time, it is comforting to see all that he collected "re-circulated" back into the hobby (recycling at it's best ) and that he had saved it all from the crusher or just disappearing forever.

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can condemn that as anything but a very enjoyable pastime. here's a clue for the clueless.. cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection. I guess I should give them to kids so they can play with them.

I think the people who don't get it don't realize the search and discovery of cool old junk is a very big part of it. that's why I loved Ebay before they fucked it all up... I could go to a swap meet or antique show and spend the rent money on cool stuff, then sell some more junk and still pay rent. I enjoyed the search. I sure the fuck didn't do it for the money. could have made more as a clerk at 7-11.
I must agree with 49RatFink...one of the biggest parts (and the most interesting) of this hobby is The Search..."The trill of the Hunt" if you will. Chasing down leads, going to swap meets, garage/estate sales....it's all part of it.

"If a job is worth doing, it's worth doing right" - My Dad
1926 Ford Model T Roadster
My '26 Roadster build thread:http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=308741
Old 09-09-2011, 12:39 PM   #65
haroldd1963
Alliance Member

Auctions America by RM Auctions is handling the sale. Here is a link to the site for more info on it:

http://www.auctionsamerica.com/event...?SaleCode=LH11
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #66
Django
Old School HAMBer

I'm a little sad because Mr Hartung was a most gracious host. He could tell you about everything he had, and was happy to do so. Folks in Porsches and Ranger Rovers drove by every single day without a clue what treasures were lurking through the heavily wooded driveway. I see that he passed in May, but this is the first I've heard about it.

Locally, everyone knew the auction was inevitable. It kills me that it will take place during the SEMA show.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:47 PM   #67
clubcoupe37

wow, this caught my eye,lol..I agree though its sad this collection will be split up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	roy-hartung-collection-auctions-america-rm.jpg
Views:	344
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	1422761  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #68
VonKool13

RAD!! I'm glad the stuff is still there. And even happier people will have a chance to buy some of that treasure. I hope his family makes out financially after the auction/s, then everyone will truly be happy!
Old 09-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #69
59bones
Grenade Inspector

This isn't a barn find or hoarding. This is definitely collecting. Although somewhat of a mess, it was still an experience of a lifetime to walk through and see it all. Too bad it will be dispersed but hey, what are you gonna do?

Anyone with some dough and time better get their butt to that auction. I know I'll be there and will hopefully bring a few things home.
Old 09-09-2011, 12:54 PM   #70
RoadFarmer
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slddnmatt View Post
maybe ill have some money to play with by then! what an awesome collection, overload of cool stuff.. what the heck is the twin grilled 37 ford looking thing?? or is that what it exactley is?
I was wondering the same thing!

"That can't be your car, that must be your Moma's car"
Old 09-09-2011, 03:06 PM   #71
czuch
Alliance Member

Farm for sale, shed full of old junk.
Collector, hoarder, Foothills of Mount Olympus, this man was a minor God.
After watching the videos I'm sure my mouth will close at some point.
I would have loved to walk these aisles with this gent and heard his stories.
Honey,,,,do you love me, Wanna go to Illinois for vacation this year?
Old 09-09-2011, 03:46 PM   #72
wagoon78
Alliance Member

he must of had the philosphy of "he who dies with the most toys wins". wow.
Old 09-09-2011, 04:48 PM   #73
NVRRDUNN

This is so over the top....the entire collection and the buildings they are in needs to be in a place like greenfield village or some other place where this entire slice of americana that is so well preserved can be viewed as it is without being wrecked by a bunch of greedy collectors out for a buck!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 08:40 AM   #74
rustyfords
BANNED

My goodness.....I'd just like to have ONE model A that looks like those.
Old 09-11-2011, 08:57 AM   #75
rustyfords
BANNED

What gets me in the videos is the dude who is talking the whole time....he never takes a breath. He's talking to a woman, who I'm assuming is Mr. Hartung's widow....maybe not.

But regardless, the dude talks for the ENTIRE 20 minutes of the videos.

Like my grandmother always said, "if your lips are moving, you aint learnin nothin"
Old 09-11-2011, 09:00 AM   #76
brigrat
Alliance Member

He was the curator of his own life style, don't we all wish we could be....................
Old 09-11-2011, 09:33 AM   #77
tbill
Grenade Inspector

that's how i want my 'garage' to look someday, unreal........
Old 09-11-2011, 09:59 AM   #78
Piewagn

I got chills watching the videos, I could almost feel that guy's spirit.....it was quite moving. The love, dedication and passion it took to assemble that and the time it took to set it up carefully. Just imagine the joy he felt inside and the huge smile on his face... The history behind it all.......it's pure Americana!

Museum I say!!!!!
Old 09-11-2011, 10:02 AM   #79
Model A Mark

left me speechless.
simply amazing collection.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:33 AM   #80
dmikulec

Lee, you're the man - what an outstanding collection you amassed! I stand in awe, and am more than a bit jealous. Rest in peace sir... and thank you!

(photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/deadhorse/3928073346/)

Good article on Hartung Collection: http://www.sportscardigest.com/lee-h...tions-america/

The Hartung Collection was amassed over five decades by the late Mr. Lee Roy Hartung for display in his private museum. From motor cars to motorcycles, bicycles, license plates and other vintage memorabilia, the collection is comprised of items Hartung acquired locally, many from within a 15-mile radius of his Glenview location.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Professor Lee Hartung.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	152.4 KB
ID:	1424421  

'62 Imperial Crown
'65 Plymouth Valiant

Last edited by dmikulec; 09-11-2011 at 10:40 AM. Reason: additional comments
Old 09-11-2011, 10:36 AM   #81
chrisntx

If you can get it, it is a barn find. If *YOU* cant get it, it is Hoarding.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:41 AM   #82
Rick Sis

No doubt that this collection is unlike anything I personally have ever seen before. There are several things about it that make it unique.

He seemed to be strictly a collector and not a tinkerer at all. The obvious lack of tools in this vast variety of all other things collectible seems to be intentional.

It's very unusual to see a very aggressive collector put this much effort into organizing. If I went through the place a few times and someone asked where they could find something, I believe that there is a good chance I could find it.

He didn't concentrate on any particular era and had an extremely good eye for all things collectible. Not a thing in there that wouldn't raise an eye from a collector somewhere, even things like 80's cabbage patch dolls and other not so old stuff.

So many folks are going to be thrilled to get a chance to own something from this collection. RIP Lee.
Old 09-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #83
Von Rigg Fink
Old School HAMBer

I know where a smaller scale of this is, but he's not Hoarding it, he will sell any of it..but he aint cheap

some of us have the hobby of building, some of us have the hobby of collecting..its just a different hobby, its not wrong..its preserving history in their own way, thats how i see it

Some guys could fuck up free lunch.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:22 PM   #84
hellerlj

And here is another auction coming up....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ELdwU...eature=related
Old 09-11-2011, 12:30 PM   #85
wingnutz
Old School HAMBer

When a Hoarder passes away it gives a chance for the real aficionados to make something out of the mess.

Unfortunately it becomes a race between the thieves and aficionados to get to the good stuff before the scrappers and other hoarders get it!

Last edited by wingnutz; 09-11-2011 at 10:28 PM.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #86
tommyd
Alliance Member

It's not hoarding if the stuff is valuable and in order like that.If you just have to save garbage and its not orderly YOU are a horder.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:47 PM   #87
Kerry67
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The37Kid View Post
Personally I think it is great that a guy can amass a collection of stuff like this, it made him happy, and every item had a story, he enjoyed showing the collection to others I've been told. A car or motorcycle doesn't have to be on the road to be enjoyed, its art and history just sitting there.

Yep....I get it. Wish it was me. I am only 55 seconds into the video and already see more cool stuff in one place than I have ever seen.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:57 PM   #88
Pops1532

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Sis View Post
No doubt that this collection is unlike anything I personally have ever seen before. There are several things about it that make it unique.

He seemed to be strictly a collector and not a tinkerer at all. The obvious lack of tools in this vast variety of all other things collectible seems to be intentional.

It's very unusual to see a very aggressive collector put this much effort into organizing. If I went through the place a few times and someone asked where they could find something, I believe that there is a good chance I could find it.

He didn't concentrate on any particular era and had an extremely good eye for all things collectible. Not a thing in there that wouldn't raise an eye from a collector somewhere, even things like 80's cabbage patch dolls and other not so old stuff.

So many folks are going to be thrilled to get a chance to own something from this collection. RIP Lee.
That's the best post I've seen on this subject.
Anyone that says the guy wasn't a collector doesn't understand collecting at all. Many collectors will display items "as found". That sure looks like a well organized collection to me.
Since he wasn't a hot rodder he's being labeled a hoarder. Apparently when he collected much of this stuff there wasn't much of a market for it. He could have scrapped a bunch of it to fund restoring or building rods out of the rest of it.
He was a real aficionado that obviously enjoyed preserving the past. If he had the same collection spread out in twice as much space everyone would be talking about what a great collection he had!
Old 09-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #89
RSCamaro71
FNG

Newbe here, but not new to old cars or collecting. Being a packrat is a psychological quirk, similar to being a neatness-freak. It's the way we are! As a packrat, I have discovered over 30 some odd years that you can't please everyone. Usually when I have to explain why I have so many cars, the other person just doesn't get it anyway. My mission has been to get as many inside and dry as possible, so that I will get to enjoy them, or my son, or maybe Grandkids someday.......it doesn't matter. I think of them as family assets. Do you think Jay Leno feels gulity for having his collection? I wouldn't! I found a way, while others whined and said it couldn't/shouldn't be done. And if you haven't noticed, the prices of real musclecars and even plain jane antique cars is climbing every year. I could never have amassed what I have in a few years time. I sold over 100 to get the 20 collectibles I have now. Final point as mentioned above, it was my money, I enjoy how I spent it, and do enjoy being a packrat. If you don't like it, TOO BAD, it's a free country since I last checked.
Old 09-12-2011, 07:30 AM   #90
jimi'shemi291
Old School HAMBer

Okay, I'm gonna vote five stars on this thread, 'cause so many guys have stated their individual perspectives EXCEPTIONALLY well, considering how this theme USUALLY goes! By that I mean usually over half the posts are cheap shots and advocating taking things away from unfit people.

ChrisNTx takes the cake for brevity WITH wit AND a point! LOL.
And RSCamaro is a good example of what a conservator/rodder should be. He's worked hard and steadliy to acquire 20 cars, WHILE being willing to let things go to improve his collection. (Some cat JEALOUS of what he grabbed before it was GONE will still say RSCamaro is a "hoarder," too!) If he and the fella in Post #1 are HOARDERS, I say, "GOD BLESS HOARDERS!"

I only wish that, all my life, I'd had a PLACE to keep things dry AND at least a little dough to devote to acquiring cars when they were available (quickly gone, of course). The list of cars from the early '30s to early '70s that I wanted to cry at having to pass over is as long as what RSCamaro has seen, I do believe.

There's a pretty fair HAMB thread called something like," What's the Coolest Thing You Ever Let Slip Through Your Fingers." The title doesn't quite fit the reality, as many, many of us would gladly invest some dough in car opportunities, IF we had a PLACE to put them so we didn't, then, have to watch them rust while guys called us hoarders. Kind of a conundrum, eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
chrisntx[/B];6943687]If you can get it, it is a barn find. If *YOU* cant get it, it is Hoarding.
Quote:
Originally Posted by [B
RSCamaro71[/B];6944070]Newbe here, but not new to old cars or collecting. Being a packrat is a psychological quirk, similar to being a neatness-freak. It's the way we are! As a packrat, I have discovered over 30 some odd years that you can't please everyone. Usually when I have to explain why I have so many cars, the other person just doesn't get it anyway. My mission has been to get as many inside and dry as possible, so that I will get to enjoy them, or my son, or maybe Grandkids someday.......it doesn't matter. I think of them as family assets. Do you think Jay Leno feels gulity for having his collection? I wouldn't! I found a way, while others whined and said it couldn't/shouldn't be done. And if you haven't noticed, the prices of real musclecars and even plain jane antique cars is climbing every year. I could never have amassed what I have in a few years time. I sold over 100 to get the 20 collectibles I have now. Final point as mentioned above, it was my money, I enjoy how I spent it, and do enjoy being a packrat. If you don't like it, TOO BAD, it's a free country since I last checked.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:10 PM   #91
Bitdrive
FNG

Hi, I'm new here and I made the 3 videos you watched.

I made them because of the H.A.M.B board. I was lucky enough to be invited there and can say that it was a pure fluke that I brought my video camera. I wasn't intending on taking video of this, but wasn't sure how long I would be there and what I would see.

Sadly, once I arrived I knew that it could be the last time all of this stuff would be in one location and I felt compelled to record it. Unfortunately, I was there for only one hour, which could never do this collection justice.

Allot of people here are trying to determine in black or white if this guy was a hoarder... I will say this... There is no power or lighting in the barn, it seemed as if it was a museum of sorts, for one individual "Hartung" (from what I understand he was very particular of whom was allowed to visit, regardless of the donation jar).

There are definite themes that he stuck to... Ford, Signs, Plates, Oil cans, Bikes, Bicycles, Badges (police, taxi, automotive), engine parts.... etc

From my personal experience, he seemed like a collector, a hoarder and OCD.

I don't have a cool old rod (I have many cars and memorabilia) but can totally relate to this guy, he just happened to have a chick, space and time that let him.

Cheers Mr. Hartung I wish I met you, when you were alive.
Old 09-12-2011, 11:39 PM   #92
billylo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitdrive View Post

I made them because of the H.A.M.B board. I was lucky enough to be invited there and can say that it was a pure fluke that I brought my video camera. I wasn't intending on taking video of this, but wasn't sure how long I would be there and what I would see.

Sadly, once I arrived I knew that it could be the last time all of this stuff would be in one location and I felt compelled to record it. Unfortunately, I was there for only one hour, which could never do this collection justice.

Allot of people here are trying to determine in black or white if this guy was a hoarder... I will say this... There is no power or lighting in the barn, it seemed as if it was a museum of sorts, for one individual "Hartung" (from what I understand he was very particular of whom was allowed to visit, regardless of the donation jar).

There are definite themes that he stuck to... Ford, Signs, Plates, Oil cans, Bikes, Bicycles, Badges (police, taxi, automotive), engine parts.... etc

I don't have a cool old rod (I have many cars and memorabilia) but can totally relate to this guy, he just happened to have a chick, space and time that let him.

Very well said...What a way to start out on the HAMB!! Only 4 posts in. Keep it up and you'll be a moderator at this rate.
1933 roadster "steel"
1934 5 window "steel"
Old 09-13-2011, 12:06 AM   #93
Tom C

If you have the funds and take car of them, it's not hoarding. There was a guy in my area with 388 Lincolns and he took care of them all. I have pics I can post, of I can find them

http://www.rmauctions.com/PressRelease.cfm?PressID=431
Roadster body
Old 09-13-2011, 02:12 AM   #94
mikef1331

What an amazing collection. I need to go to that auction.
Old 09-13-2011, 02:34 AM   #95
sierra rod shop
Grenade Inspector

that's krazy
Old 09-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #96
milwscruffy
Alliance Member

Best of all I think he died a happy man , and that my friends is what it's all about.
Old 09-13-2011, 05:16 AM   #97
Smokin' Joe

WOW! No other words... just WOW!

H.A.M.B. Chapel
Old 09-13-2011, 06:21 AM   #98
willowbilly3
Old School HAMBer

Hoarders weird me out.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 AM   #99
abone1930

Thumbs up Re: Barn find or Hoarding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bitdrive View Post

WELL SAID
Everytime I get stuff, I have to sell it to support my car Hobby, if I didnt I would keep it till I got around to it, or the asking price was worth it. But of cource it would be stored it some sort of rot free envoirment.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:53 AM   #100
Six-Shooter
Grenade Inspector

That is jaw dropping!
Old 09-13-2011, 03:22 PM   #101
clean cut creations

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoMoCoPower View Post

Is this correct for the date of the auction(s)?
Old 09-13-2011, 03:43 PM   #102
chrisntx

Quote:
Originally Posted by willowbilly3 View Post
Hoarders weird me out.
I've noticed that you dont mind making a profit off of 'hoarders' every chance you get.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:14 PM   #103
goose-em
Grenade Inspector

Off to the bank to get myself a loan, see all of you there!!!!

A collection can also be hoarding. I think he had a bit of both, started with the collecting thing, ended with the hoarding thing.

I really don't care either way. I am just happy to see all that iron and hope it goes to someone who can appreciate it.

You can have the old cabbage patch doll.
Old 09-13-2011, 04:33 PM   #104
milwscruffy
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisntx View Post
I've noticed that you dont mind making a profit off of 'hoarders' every chance you get.

Well Played !!!
Old 09-13-2011, 04:51 PM   #105
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

WOW!

That's a lot of stuff.

Reminds of the Rineyville Model A museum.

Same type of guy.

Some of the people on here from KY probably know what I'm talking about.

Rich
Old 09-13-2011, 05:41 PM   #106
ronk16
Alliance Member

I would leave it as is. Charge money to walk through and call it a killer americanna museum............
Old 09-13-2011, 06:22 PM   #107
KooDaddy

Way cool
Old 09-15-2011, 11:52 AM   #108
CRUZN60
Grenade Inspector

I also think it would be great to leave as is and turn it into a museum.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:09 PM   #109
Model A John
Alliance Member

Hoarding can be a good thing.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:29 PM   #110
16ozSchlitzMan
Alliance Member

Location: Millinocket, Northern Maine HOME: of the American Loggers

You just ruined my lunch...WOW..
Old 09-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #111
brian26

Location: Hunnert dollar bill and hauling a race car, looking for dirt.

I have a headache...............

What's a Veritas ?
Old 09-15-2011, 01:31 PM   #112
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian26 View Post
I have a headache...............

What's a Veritas ?
Veritas was a famous West German post World War II sports and race car company, located in the village of Hausen am Andelsbach, near Sigmaringen, Baden-Württemberg, later at Meßkirch and Muggensturm and moved finally to the Nürburgring.
The company was founded by Ernst Loof, Georg Meier and Lorenz Dietrich who initially re-built and tuned pre-war BMW 328 cars using components supplied by a customer, turning them into BMW-Veritas cars.[1] The first car was used in 1947 by its owner Karl Kling to win at Hockenheim and subsequently become the 1947 German 2-litre champion. After only a few cars were made, following an objection from BMW, the cars became simply known as Veritas.
Old 09-15-2011, 01:32 PM   #113
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

You know, there could easily be over a million dollars worth of stuff in there.

Rich
Old 09-15-2011, 02:34 PM   #114
the-rodster
Old School HAMBer

Partial listing of cars from Hemmings....

1959 Edsel four door sedan
1941 Lincoln Zepher 12 Cylinder Continental
1936 Lincoln custom twin nose sedan Zepher
1927 Henney Limousine Four Door
1928 Model A One ton truck w/??? Rear end
1921 Model A City of Chicago Paddy Wagon
1937 Pontiac Four door sedan
1909 Model T ??? Body
1940 Ford Deluxe Coupe
1937 Ford Two Door
1941 Ford Four Door
1938 Ford Two Door
1935 Ford SW Coupe
1934 Ford Phaeton
1932 Ford Two Door (??)
1932 Ford Two Door (??)
1932 Essex Terraplane
1924 Model T Four Door
1914 Model T Touring
1 Model T Touring
1916 Model T Center Door
1928 Model A Two Door
1931 Model A Sport Coupe
1930 Model A Coupe
1931 Model A Cabriolet
1928 Model A Phaeton
A/T Model A/T Touring [I believe this is an A body on a T chassis]
1931 Model A Roadster
1949 Veritas Roadster Convertible
1926 Hertz Touring
1924 Model T "C" Cab
1940 Mercury Deluxe Conv
1936 Ford Cabriolet
1947 Crosley Station Wagon
1931 Model A ???(1911 Pope, 1901 Wagner, 1902 "FN", 1928 Henderson)
1929 MOdel A Couple (Blk)
1934 Armstrong Sidelle
1924 Model T Peddler's Wagon
1928 Model A Special Coupe
1916 Model T Police Car
1959 Fiat Spyder
1958 Cadillac Eureka Hearse
1933 Ford Model C Truck
1931 Model A 1 1/2 Ton Stake Truck
1922 Studebaker Truck
1930 Model A Truck (Flatbed)
1926 Model T Two Door Sedan
1915 Model T Touring
1937 Rolls Royce Alumninum Body
1959 Bentley Four Door Sedan
1934 Sunbeam Talbot Four Door Sedan
1932 Worthington Tractor
1950 Edwards Roadster
1929 Model A Roadster Pickup
1930 Model A Four Door
1930 Model A Fire Dept Truck
1931 Model A Slantwindshield Four Door
1930 Model A Cabriolet
1928 Model A Four Door
1930 Model A Two Door
1931 Model A Coupe
1930 Model A Four Door
1928 Model A Two Door
1929 Model A Roadster Pickup
1931 Model A Four Door
1931 Model A Four Door
1931 Model A Victoria
1930 Model A Coupe
1931 Model A Pickup
1931 Model A SW Four Door
1930 Model A Coupe
1928 Model A Sport Coupe
1930 Model A Pickup
1931 Model A Panel Delivery
1931 Model A Slant Windshield Cabriolet
1930 Model A Four Door
1931 Model A Two Door
1929 Model A Phaeton
Old 09-15-2011, 03:12 PM   #115
hugh m

Wow. Looks like he knew what he was doing, and he probably saved lots of cool stuff from the crusher too.
Old 09-15-2011, 08:43 PM   #116
rusty1
Old School HAMBer

A few years back I and a good friend had the priviledge of goin thru that building; my buddy's dad was a good friend of Lee's. The place was unbelievable; you could probly walk thru there everyday for a week and not see it all, a lot is hidden behind other stuff. Along one wall were 25 Model A's in a row, all in very good condition, as were all the other cars.
Lee was a very nice guy and showed car enthusiasts his collection whenever he could.
He had the largest collection of licence plates I've ever seen.

Good luck if you go to the auction, you'll be simply amazed!

Last edited by rusty1; 09-15-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:26 PM   #117
wolfhound423

I swear, that's what heaven must look like! I could wander around that place for an eternity, fixing things up, tinkering with stuff, and never be bored.
Old 09-15-2011, 09:46 PM   #118
pwschuh

It's not just a collection, it's multiple collections. It's a world class Ford collection, a world class license place collection, a world class spark plug collection, a world class toy collection, etc., etc., etc.

I'm torn about it staying together like that. It needs to be sorted and spaced out so everything can be seen. The fact that it's all being auctioned off at once means stuff is going to go cheap. It could take years to just research, catalog, and sell this stuff the right way. I hope at a minimum everything is photographed.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:00 PM   #119
mastergun1980
Alliance Member

I am impressed - I am inclined to call that extreme collecting- hoarders normally don't have that orginization - also everything is nice and valuable - not worthless junk. Guy was probablly way wayobsessive compulsive , but arn't we all at least a little?
Old 09-15-2011, 10:32 PM   #120
patrick66
Old School HAMBer

Location: Oklahoma, where the wind comes sweeping down the plain!

Yeah, I'd call that "extreme collecting", as well. Here is a guy that was willing to share his stuff (as a museum of sorts) to folks. I would not call this guy a "hoarder" as they simply collect stuff for stuff's sake. Hoarders are generally (note I say generally!) mentally ill, to an extent. Collectors have a theme (this guy had multiple themes going) to a collection of whatever; be it model trains, cars and parts, or license plates. They have a purpose to their collecting. Hoarders simply hoard, whether the stuff they do hoard has value or not.

Here is an extreme example of someone's estate getting sold off, where the guy is dead and that leaves his widow and other family members to deal with the problems this entails. There is a LOT involved here. THAT, to me, is what is sad about this; other than the man's death, obviously.

I'd love to attend the auction, though. You don't see things like this but a few times in life. Should be a massive draw. And the estimate of a million dollars gross is probably low, even in this crappy economy. Remember, the auction house gets up to 40% of the take. Still...wow!
Screw with your neighbors...name your Wi-Fi network "NSA Surveillance Van #6"...
Old 09-16-2011, 09:06 PM   #121
fuzzface

Yea, this auction should bring good money in, even in this economy. he has things i've never seened before. Heck, just the $20.00 to be there will bring in a nice bundle for the amount of people i would expect that would show up.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:36 PM   #122
spiderdeville

hey ! he has the 1965 tonka fire engine my neighbor jeffrey smashed with a brick in 1975 ..my first birthday present *sniff , whimper whimper *
Old 09-17-2011, 06:22 AM   #123
gasserlouie

Quote:
I don't see how anyone can condemn that as anything but a very enjoyable passtime. here's a clue for the clueless.. cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection. I guess I should give them to kids so they can play with them.

Totally agree!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:54 AM   #124
biggeorge
Alliance Member

Thanks to all the people that collected all this stuff, other wise all we would be doing is collecting pictures of cars and parts.
1940 Ford Coupe
1932 Ford pick up
1930 Buick coupe
1924/28 Buick speedster
Old 09-17-2011, 09:25 AM   #125
dmikulec

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiderdeville View Post
hey ! he has the 1965 tonka fire engine my neighbor jeffrey smashed with a brick in 1975 ..my first birthday present *sniff , whimper whimper *
I feel your pain. I got my first record player in 1970 for Christmas and lost it in a move a few years later. Finally found another one, mint on eBay a couple years ago. Same with my old collection of Matchbox and Hot Wheels cars!

Lee's alright in my book.

'62 Imperial Crown
'65 Plymouth Valiant
Old 09-17-2011, 09:53 AM   #126
stanlow69

I wonder how much of this will be resold in the next year.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:26 PM   #127
dudley32

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanlow69 View Post
I wonder how much of this will be resold in the next year.
probably a bunch...so sad at least to me..all that stuff acumulated over the years..and never reaped the benifits..sad to say the least..R.I.P.
Old 09-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #128
Ray C's son
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by dudley32 View Post
probably a bunch...so sad at least to me..all that stuff acumulated over the years..and never reaped the benifits..sad to say the least..R.I.P.
I think he did reap the benefits. He got to enjoy it all those years.

Kevin
Old 09-17-2011, 07:34 PM   #129
speedyg948
Grenade Inspector

sweet baby blue eyed jesus, what a stash! an amazing amount of everything anyone here wants!
Old 09-17-2011, 07:54 PM   #130
1929modela
BANNED

doesnt matter isnt yours
Old 09-17-2011, 07:56 PM   #131
c57heaven

Quote:
And his name and legacy lives on! (even after the collection is broken up...there will be few like it.

Look at the enjoyment or entertainment value he brought to the sad lot on the HAMB.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:06 PM   #132
cfnutcase

I will be there and will be bidding my ass off! Jim
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #133
havi

In the second video, can anyone explain to me the Northbrook car? I've never heard of it.

Hoarding is a disease where a person collects so much crap it overwhelms them, yet they do nothing about it.

Collecting is a pastime where a person collects stuff that brings them great pleasure, and they can do something about it if they want to.

Last edited by havi; 09-17-2011 at 08:56 PM.
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 PM   #134
OldTC
Grenade Inspector

The wonderful thing about what he did, is the fact that all of that beautiful and irreplaceable stuff is still around to be enjoyed by people who appreciate it.

Who knows how much of that incredible collection would be rustin away and disappearing in the middle of landfills, farm ponds and washouts all over small-town America.

I say; “God bless him and may he rest in peace.” Too much of the beauty of American life has already disappeared, and it’s very satisfying to know that the items that he chose to save will be around for future generations to enjoy.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:13 PM   #135
billylo

I think if you go to the auction close your eyes and hold your hand up(if money doesn't matter) you would get something cool......Because I really didn't see any trash, only Treasure...
1933 roadster "steel"
1934 5 window "steel"
Old 09-17-2011, 10:06 PM   #136
tub in da dirt

i got spy photos today
they are moving the cars outside now
tk

follow me on instagram fabricator2
Old 09-17-2011, 10:45 PM   #137
cadillac dave

remember its AMERICA, of course a lot of this stuff will be bought and resold, unless you would rather set on your porch and drink colt 45, and get a goverment check every month. GOD BLESS AMERICA and us collectors , hoarders and dealers in antigue car stuff. WE SHARE ....Cadillac Dave
Old 09-17-2011, 10:47 PM   #138
lunchboxscuff

I wana cry. Such amazing stuff! I hope it goes to the right people.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:00 AM   #139
bagged36
FNG

That is amazing. Thanks for sharing.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:17 AM   #140
stanlow69

Quote:
You don`t understand. It`s not all about the money.
Old 09-18-2011, 12:53 AM   #141
Urena13
FNG

If you can sit through the entire video. The 1949 Veritas is a car modified by a guy named Spohn. He made a number of other wacky/original cars. I had to take another look once I saw the tail fins on the 49 Veritas, turns out, after a bit more searching I found this link. http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/ind...?topic=12486.0
Old 09-18-2011, 12:56 AM   #142
knotttty

according to the dictionary "hoarding" is ......

• The acquisition of, and failure to discard, a large number of possessions that appear to be useless or of limited value
  • Living spaces sufficiently cluttered so as to preclude activities for which those spaces were designed
  • Significant distress or impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding
  • Reluctance or inability to return borrowed items; as boundaries blur, impulsive acquisitiveness could sometimes lead to stealing or kleptomania

seems to me he was a collector.. not a hoarder.... if he was a hoarder.... I guess we all are...in some sense.... I am amazed at what he collected all these years....

what a great life he must have lived... I was imagining him bartering for all the things he collected.. and just the array of people he must have met.. seems a very lucky , informed man..

Roy

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=519776
Old 09-18-2011, 05:36 AM   #143
StillOutThere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urena13 View Post
If you can sit through the entire video. The 1949 Veritas is a car modified by a guy named Spohn. He made a number of other wacky/original cars. I had to take another look once I saw the tail fins on the 49 Veritas, turns out, after a bit more searching I found this link. http://www.autopuzzles.com/forum/ind...?topic=12486.0
The Hermann Spohn Carosserie was in Ravensburg, Germany and was indeed started in 1920 by Hermann, the man. However he died in 1923 so the business kept building custom bodies for many cars until its close in 1957. They built a couple or three dozen customs on American chassis in the early-mid 1950s. They are all interesting customs, some strange, some very cool like this totally hand formed '49 Olds. It looks like a stock coupe that has been chopped, channeled, sectioned but actually it is totally new sheet metal over the original chassis.

Oh, and I've read that Lee Roy Hartung said he didn't own the collection, that "the collection OWNED HIM". That probably speaks volumes!

Regarding breaking this museum up, several of the individual collections within it will sell to other big collectors and in ten or 20 years we will get to watch those be auctioned off again. And the beat goes on and on and on......
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	quarter.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	1431419  
Old 09-18-2011, 01:10 PM   #144
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

You better claim that as your signature, otherwise someone else will.
Quote:
Old 09-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #145
Ray C's son
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Exactly my point. He profited every day he got to enjoy his collection. How much better does it get than that?

Kevin
Old 09-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #146
stanlow69

Quote:
You better claim that as your signature, otherwise someone else will.
It amazes me how many people see this collection , only to think about what they can buy to turn around and sell it to make a buck.
Old 09-19-2011, 01:27 PM   #147
Kan Kustom

Quote:
BARN FIND! Thanks for posting the links, it has been a hot topic on several websites all week long. I really want to know how they can run an auction with that many items in an orderly way. Thanks for saving all that stuff Lee!
Xs 2
Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #148
Kan Kustom

Quote:
Originally Posted by knotttty View Post
according to the dictionary "hoarding" is ......

• The acquisition of, and failure to discard, a large number of possessions that appear to be useless or of limited value
  • Living spaces sufficiently cluttered so as to preclude activities for which those spaces were designed
  • Significant distress or impairment in functioning caused by the hoarding
  • Reluctance or inability to return borrowed items; as boundaries blur, impulsive acquisitiveness could sometimes lead to stealing or kleptomania
seems to me he was a collector.. not a hoarder.... if he was a hoarder.... I guess we all are...in some sense.... I am amazed at what he collected all these years....

what a great life he must have lived... I was imagining him bartering for all the things he collected.. and just the array of people he must have met.. seems a very lucky , informed man..

Roy
My thoughts exactly!
Old 09-19-2011, 01:31 PM   #149
tub in da dirt

Quote:
It amazes me how many people see this collection , only to think about what they can buy to turn around and sell it to make a buck.
this isnt a farm auction
there will be some big pocketbooks and high prices
after all the f u fee's you pay and such good luck finding some meat on the bone
tk

Old 10-04-2011, 07:26 PM   #150
59BuickWagon
Alliance Vendor

The aisles at Hershey will be buzzing about this for sure!
508-248-1555

Totally New Web Site www.obrientruckers.com
H.A.M.B. O'Dex: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=615954

Old 10-04-2011, 07:34 PM   #151
studematt

Quote:
Thats right. Its never been about the money for me. I hope the market falls out of all this stuff tomorrow so I can go buy more.
Old 10-04-2011, 08:19 PM   #152
a-fordable
FNG

X-2
Old 10-04-2011, 10:02 PM   #153
toolz1175

Simply amazing. There seems to be hundreds of thousands of items there. If a person lives to an old age, their adult life is around 20-25,000 days long. How many items did he bring home EVERY DAY? It would take 3 days to sell off the toys alone. Seems they would have to sell in lots, as in "you're bidding on this wall of license plates" or "you're bidding on this row of bicycles". How else could this volume be sold in 3 days? Looks more like a month of 12 hour auction days to get through it all individually, unless there will be many auction rings going at the same time. About 3 hours from me- would sure like to go.
Old 10-05-2011, 06:18 AM   #154
autobilly
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
...cars do not have to be driven to be enjoyed... just like I can't drive my vintage toy collection.
Quote:
My sentiments exactly. A superb collection that I suspect cost Mr Hartung more time than money.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #155
wetatt4u

ANY updates OR the out come on the auction ?

Any comments on how it turned out .

Did everything go smooth ?

Did anyone see the faimly, are they doing O.K.?
Old 10-10-2011, 11:37 AM   #156
Larry W

this is awesome! I wish I had the money and passion to own this gold. And it looks like it's all inside. Now is the time for all the whiners to step up and put your money where your mouth is. Lets see how many make a bid.
Old 10-10-2011, 11:58 AM   #157
40FordGuy
Old School HAMBer

While it would be nice to have some of these items....let's look at the positive side; NONE of it went to the crusher !!!!!!!!!!!!

4TTRUK
Old 10-10-2011, 12:09 PM   #158
The37Kid
Old School HAMBer

STILL TIME! It is next month!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wetatt4u View Post
ANY updates OR the out come on the auction ?

Any comments on how it turned out .

Did everything go smooth ?

Did anyone see the faimly, are they doing O.K.?
Old 10-12-2011, 02:05 PM   #159
Bib Overalls
Alliance Member

Lots of HAMB friendly cars around page 10.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/ratpoison/
Old 10-12-2011, 03:02 PM   #160
Panneton Bros. Racing

Incredible!, but like they say, you never see a U-haul trailer behind a hearse.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #161
37ford4dr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panneton Bros. Racing View Post
Incredible!, but like they say, you never see a U-haul trailer behind a hearse.

i guess if the guy got some fun out of it and he could afford it good for him
Old 10-12-2011, 03:21 PM   #162
ZZ-IRON

when you got it you got it Lee you did have it

RIP Lee

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...go-to-auction/
Old 10-12-2011, 03:37 PM   #163
jipp

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ-IRON View Post
when you got it you got it Lee you did have it

RIP Lee

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...go-to-auction/

thanks for the link .. that is gonna be a hell of a auction. some cool shit he collected, preserved over the years.
when no one wanted the stuff.
chris.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:38 PM   #164
55gasserkid

Like flies to shit! This place will be crazy the day of the auction! Good luck to the Hamb members who venture to this auction. Post what you bought
J
Old 10-12-2011, 04:25 PM   #165
ricktard
Grenade Inspector

sweet
Old 10-12-2011, 04:34 PM   #166
slammed
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billsill45 View Post
So would I, but then we'd have to listen to others bitch and whine about us being "hoarders". The stuff is out there ... we just have to get off our dead asses and go find it.
Exactly! So much stuff was crushed/scrapped the last 5 years, saving it comes first. Hoarding? Because someone else has something you WANT.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:39 PM   #167
willbe

Gulp!
Old 10-12-2011, 10:24 PM   #168
383deuce

He who dies with the most toys wins...So I guess the game is over...Lee wins
Old 10-16-2011, 01:40 AM   #169
nitrohonkey
Alliance Member

Sucks that the guy who had all of that passed away...amazing collection!
Old 10-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #170
magoozi

what a great collection, if it were not for people like him, our hobby would have died years ago, Good cars like that are better than money in the bank, and I am shure he enjoyed showing his collection to other people. The stuff has been well taken care of and treated with respect, whether we drive our cars or not , at the end, we are just care takers of our stuff and this gives the oportunity for others to enjoy our hobby.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:16 AM   #171
hellsgaterods

It is truely excessive. Also it is incredible! thanks god for guys like Lee that had enough brains to set all of those jewels aside. yes it is a bit much and one man could never get to all of them, but now we all have a chance to own something because of his "hoarding". Personally i dont think id do it myself. id rather see them getting something done with them. i have a small hoard, but usually if im not doing anything but looking at the gems i like to pass them on. thanks Lee for saving all that "junk" for us car lovers! have a grand final ride uptown!
Old 10-18-2011, 09:11 PM   #172
Peterson32

Amazing....thank you lee!!!!!
Old 10-21-2011, 10:46 AM   #173
ka-zoo

you can look at the lots up for aution here-

wait till you get to the "NOS 30's ford parts" section...

Also, I see alot of questions about the "twin nose Zephyr".
Apparently it was a conversion sold by the Pines Winterfont company.
In that link I posted, there is a nice little "newspaper" PDF that details some of the highlight items.

Also the thing that blows my mind is Lee Roy was apparently a Scrap/junk man who was actually PAID to remove much of his finds by unknowing people. amazing.

Time to hit the lottery, just over a week away... lol
Old 10-21-2011, 01:07 PM   #174
billylo

Holy crap.....I knew there was alot of cool stuff, but dang.
1933 roadster "steel"
1934 5 window "steel"
Old 10-23-2011, 11:49 PM   #175
Chrisbcritter

Good news (I hope) - working a deal with the estate to buy back my uncle's old license plate for a fair price. Knock wood.

One thing I should mention about Lee - he could be generous when you least expect it; he gave me a couple boxes of models once, and he also offered me - free! - a '29 Model A roadster pickup, really a running shortened chassis and cowl that had been used to pull a mower around a golf course, but rods have been built starting with less. I had to respectfully decline because there was no way my folks were going to let me keep it in the driveway, especially with the steel lawn tractor wheels on the rear... So who's in the area and going to the auction?
Old 10-24-2011, 12:36 AM   #176
AntiBling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisbcritter View Post
One thing I should mention about Lee - he could be generous when you least expect it; he gave me a couple boxes of models once, and he also offered me - free! - a '29 Model A roadster pickup, really a running shortened chassis and cowl that had been used to pull a mower around a golf course, but rods have been built starting with less. I had to respectfully decline because there was no way my folks were going to let me keep it in the driveway, especially with the steel lawn tractor wheels on the rear... So who's in the area and going to the auction?
Exactly, I know a lot of "hoarders" I prefer to call them collectors, they like showing off what they got, but these people who immediately have jealousy for people who have something they want and won't sell it, I just don't get. This isn't a hobby for a lot of people, it's a lifestyle. You need to make friends with people, and be genuine, do things to help others into this lifestyle without expecting anything in return, and someday you may find your golden ticket to the chocolate factory.

Not everyone can be bought with money.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:57 PM   #177
hudson48

Here is some more on this collection.A lot about the motorcycles but all very interesting.You will need a good half hour to 40 mins to watch all 8
clips
http://www.wheelsthroughtime.com/ind...sk=view&id=417
Old 10-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #178
Model A Mark

wow, talk abought mixed emotions.
makes me wanna sell something and buy something different.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:45 PM   #179
superprojoe
Grenade Inspector

Talking Re: Barn find or Hoarding!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRUZN60 View Post
This is just amazing. I wish it was all mine, or at least everyone on the H.A.M.B. could have something to enjoy.
All three videos are incredible.
Enjoy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qGBJ962eRGc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I47qCXxoKwk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQZbDC4BakU
Hoarding on the coolest level!!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #180
Pistnbroke
Alliance Member

I went to the preview today was a good size crowd there. So much stuff it was impossible to see everything. I liked that they put a bunch of related stuff together. I don't think I will be a bidder, the prices will get out of control I am sure. I did love the pedal car junk yard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pedal car2.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	191.4 KB
ID:	1473577  
Old 11-01-2011, 08:18 PM   #181
zander208
FNG

Every car guy has a little hoarding in them...
Old 11-01-2011, 08:43 PM   #182
lakeroadster

Quote:
Anybody going to the auction? Here is a link:

Old 11-01-2011, 09:07 PM   #183
Bob K
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
I went to the preview today was a good size crowd there. So much stuff it was impossible to see everything. I liked that they put a bunch of related stuff together. I don't think I will be a bidder, the prices will get out of control I am sure. I did love the pedal car junk yard.
Good to see you today Red, that was quite a deal EH? All of that stuff had something wrong with it, there was nothing there that was really pristine at all. I don't think it's gonna bring as much money as originally thought.

BB

Sarchasm : The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

THEM! WISCOWSIN
Old 11-01-2011, 09:09 PM   #184
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector

I would love to be able to just go to the sale. I enjoy just people watching and seeing what some will spend on junk.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:23 PM   #185
2manyprojects
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander208 View Post
Every car guy has a little hoarding in them...

I RESEMBLE THAT REMARK,,,,,,,,,,,,, having no job and no money took care of that
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #186
392_hemi
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistnbroke View Post
Made it there today too. Most of the cars and older bikes are in pretty rough shape. Complete and original, but pretty rough. Some of the parts are nice, but not really anything you can't find any day of the week. Considering the interest this is getting, prices will probably get to the stupid level. Still debating whether it's worth time and effort.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:21 PM   #187
Atwater Mike
Old School HAMBer

Oh yeah, the "Good of the collective". (meaning all the good folks) The one that collected the stuff is the 'individual', so he should 'share'. (because he has 'more')

Get a grip. HE collected it, it's his. You that think the 'collective' have right to it are communists. You get a Red Star.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:57 PM   #188
MODELA30
Alliance Member

WELL I WENT OVER THERE TODAY I HAVE TO SAY IT LOOKS WELL ORGINIZED. LOTS OF STUFF. ALL THE LOTS ARE ALL NICELY NUMBERED PARKED 4 MILES AWAY AND THEY SHUTTLED US IN. THEY DID A GOOD JOB AS FOR THE GOODIES THE BIKES ARE IN BARN FIND SHAPE SORT A SPEAK, VERY WORKABLE BIKES BUT I THINK I WOULD LEAVE THEM ALONE MYSELF. THE CARS ARE OK BUT NOTHING REALLY NICE THE ONLY CARS THAT ARE IN GREAT SHAPE ARE THE 40 FORD CONVERTABLE SOLID CAR MUST HAVE BEEN INSIDE ALL ITS LIFE A PAINTED BLUE WITH HOUSE PAINT BRUSHED ON IS THE 28-29 FORD COUPE, AND THE 34 FORD CABROILET. THERE IS A BLUE 35 FORD 5 WINDOW THAT NOT TO BAD OF SHAPE BUT I COULD NOT SEE UNDER IT THERE WAS MUD ALL AROUND THAT CAR. I WENT THERE WITH A LIST OF PARTS TO TAKE A LOOK AT BEFORE BIDDING AND WELL NONE OF IT WAS REALLY GRABBING ME. I DID NOT REALLY CARE FOR THE TAX STUFF THAT WAS BUT ON THE TABLE AND THE 15% OF THE SELLING PRICE. THAT DID NOT DETOUR ME FROM THE REGISTRATION JUST THE QUALITY OF THE PARTS THAT ARE THERE NOT THE GREATEST SO IF YOU TAKE THAT IN CONSIDERATION WITH 300 OTHER GUYS BIDDING ON THE SAME PARTS THE PRICES BALANCING WITH THE QUALITY WELL IT JUST WAS NOT THERE. I HOPE I DID NOT LOSE ANY ONE WITH MY POINT OF VIEW I JUST THINK THE SWAP MEETS ARE MY FORTE. Knuck From Indiana.
Old 11-02-2011, 04:57 PM   #189
FoMoCoPower
Old School HAMBer

MODELA30....I was there today and you must have pretty high standards to say the quality of the parts was not what you wanted.....tons of vintage flathead speed equipment,and large amounts of NOS Ford parts from the 1930`s/1940`s including many fenders and much,much,much more. Guess you missed the 2-dozen project-worthy Model A`s,the (2) bone-stock `32 sedans that were actually pretty solid....and the chopped and channelled `36 Cabriolet.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:26 PM   #190
captaintaytay
Grenade Inspector

wow
Old 11-02-2011, 07:27 PM   #191
MODELA30
Alliance Member

Quote:
MODELA30....I was there today and you must have pretty high standards to say the quality of the parts was not what you wanted.....tons of vintage flathead speed equipment,and large amounts of NOS Ford parts from the 1930`s/1940`s including many fenders and much,much,much more. Guess you missed the 2-dozen project-worthy Model A`s,the (2) bone-stock `32 sedans that were actually pretty solid....and the chopped and channelled `36 Cabriolet.
WELL FOMOCOPOWER I GUESS I DID LOSE YOU WHAT I AM TRYING TO SAY IS THAT FOR THE PARTS OR CARS TO FETCH THE AMOUNT OF MONEY THAT I THINK THERE GOING TO GET FOR THEM THOSE PARTS BETTER BE A NUMBER ONE CONDITION. THE SPEED PARTS I SAW NEEDED WORK BROKEN EARS GAWGES ON GASKET SURFACES JUST NOT TO INPRESSIVE OTHER THAN THEY ARE RARE. THE CARS HAD WATER AND MILDEW DAMAGE SOME HAD WATER MARKS ON THE TIRES LIKE THAT PLACE WAS FLOODED AT ONE TIME OR OTHER. AND THAT 36 CABRIOLET WAS ONCE A COUPE THAT THE ROOF WAS HACKED OFF ABOUT THE ONLY THING GOOD ON THAT CAR WAS THE DOORS. EVEN THE PILLARS WHERE CUT WITH WHAT LOOKED LIKE A HACK SAW BLADE JUST NOT IMPRESSED. Knuck From Indiana.
Old 11-02-2011, 07:44 PM   #192
392_hemi
Alliance Member

Quote:
Not sure how close you looked but the rockers on one of the deuces were almost competely gone. Most of the cars, or at least the Fords, had body damage, rot/rust, missing parts, or some type of problem. Sure, they're good hot rod stock, but probably not worth anywhere near what they're going to sell for. The last Model A coupe I sold went for $8k and it was a complete original car that was nicer than any of the cars up for auction. So it'll be interesting to see where these end up. As for speed equipment, I didn't see a whole lot. Couple of Frontenac conversions, some Edelbrock heads, an Olds intake, etc. But not really anything special.

Last edited by 392_hemi; 11-02-2011 at 07:45 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #193
dawford

I for one am glad that he saved all of those cars and other items over the years.

Most of that collection probably would have ended up either dispersed or forgotten and rusted away in some old fallen down barn or worse yet sent to the crusher.

He did everyone a favor by preserving it in one place where collectors from all over can find the items or vehicles that they thought were gone forever.

For a long time I belonged to several Old Farm Engine and Tractor clubs and remember reading about how some of them hated to see someone breaking down a complete or nearly complete engine or tractor to sell for parts.

The 20 or more parts that were sold to collectors ended up bringing many incomplete or broken engines to life.

I am too old and too far away to ever acquire or even see any of these items or vehicles but my grandchildren may some time in the future enjoy seeing some of the things after they have been restored by the thousands of people who will ultimately end up with them.

I have personally bought things at garage sales that I well never use knowing that they would probably not be sold and would end up going to the dump.

I try to find those who can use the items but even If I do not find someone I figure that my children will have an estate sale and someone else might become their conservator.

Conservator is a word that might better describes Lee than collector and it is certainly a better word than hoarder.

I tell people that I read the obituaries to see if I am in there. If I see my name I want to go to my estate sale.

Dick

If the first Hot Rodders were all Traditional we would still fuel with oats and hay.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:39 PM   #194
MODELA30
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 392_hemi View Post
Not sure how close you looked but the rockers on one of the deuces were almost competely gone. Most of the cars, or at least the Fords, had body damage, rot/rust, missing parts, or some type of problem. Sure, they're good hot rod stock, but probably not worth anywhere near what they're going to sell for. The last Model A coupe I sold went for $8k and it was a complete original car that was nicer than any of the cars up for auction. So it'll be interesting to see where these end up. As for speed equipment, I didn't see a whole lot. Couple of Frontenac conversions, some Edelbrock heads, an Olds intake, etc. But not really anything special.
THANK YOU HEMI I DO AGREE WITH YOU THERE, JUST NOT IMPRESSED. Knuck From Indiana.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:16 PM   #195
oldcarfart
Alliance Member

So how about an biography of this guy.
Old 11-02-2011, 10:47 PM   #196
ol'chevy

I don't doubt that most of these are not in pristine condition and weren't when put there, but everyone would be slobbering all over their keyboards if each of these were found individually. Yes, auctions do get the excitement up and often puff up the prices also, but many of the crowd that you saw may be there to just see the action, not bidding. I would keep my eyes open and see what things do go for.....there is a lot of stuff there, maybe some people will drive up the really desireable stuff, then the high rollers will have blown their wads and leave the rest of the stuff for us common folk.....

Advance Design Rescue-Bringin 'em back-one body at a time.
Old 11-03-2011, 01:22 PM   #197
Plowboy
Alliance Member

How about some pics from the sale? I would like to try and make it tomorrow just to see the bikes but I don't think I can make it on Saturday....
Old 11-03-2011, 07:31 PM   #198
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector

Did anybody go to the sale today? If so how about a report?
Old 11-03-2011, 07:46 PM   #199
mike hamel

I watched it online today! Wow the prices were high! Some of the most expensive sales of porcelain advertisement iv ever seen. Other parts went for a lot of money too, I saw some magneto switches sell for over $5,000. It looked to be a bidding war between two people.
Old 11-03-2011, 08:05 PM   #200
barney rubble
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike hamel View Post
I watched it online today! Wow the prices were high! Some of the most expensive sales of porcelain advertisement iv ever seen. Other parts went for a lot of money too, I saw some magneto switches sell for over $5,000. It looked to be a bidding war between two people.
Where do you watch it at? Do you have a link?
Old 11-03-2011, 08:14 PM   #201
wetatt4u

Old news ,check it out here....

http://www.auctionsamerica.com
Old 11-03-2011, 09:30 PM   #202
Plowboy
Alliance Member

Do you have to be registered to bid to watch the auction online?
Old 11-03-2011, 10:08 PM   #203
roadkillontheweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike hamel View Post
Did you happen to catch how much the little Thunderbird and the extra body went for?

They had it identified as a 58 pedal car but it is a 59 1/4 scale electric powered Thunderbird Junior from the Powercar company of Mystic CT
The 57 Body beside it is a 3/8 scale version from the same company. I own the factory mold that made that car and make parts for both of them so I hope to find out where they went to eventually. Just curios now how much they went for. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tbird.jpg
Views:	834
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	1475144  
Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 PM   #204
badbird
FNG

What did it take to see it online
did you have to register
Old 11-04-2011, 08:11 AM   #205
392_hemi
Alliance Member

I believe you have to register to see it online. Cost is $100. If you want to bid, the buyer's premium is 15%, plus an additional 9.25% sales tax on everything except the cars.
Old 11-04-2011, 08:53 AM   #206
tub in da dirt

$125
tk

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadkillontheweb View Post
Did you happen to catch how much the little Thunderbird and the extra body went for?

They had it identified as a 58 pedal car but it is a 59 1/4 scale electric powered Thunderbird Junior from the Powercar company of Mystic CT
The 57 Body beside it is a 3/8 scale version from the same company. I own the factory mold that made that car and make parts for both of them so I hope to find out where they went to eventually. Just curios now how much they went for. Thanks!

Old 11-04-2011, 09:35 AM   #207
roadkillontheweb

Quote:
Originally Posted by tub in da dirt View Post
$125
tk
First let me correct my earlier mistake I typed 59 when it is obviously a 1960
Someone stole that one!

http://www.jrcentral.com/thunderbird.html
It's an original dealer promotional made in 1960, the bare 57 body alone was worth more than that.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:37 AM   #208
mike hamel

Wow!!! This guy could of retired by just selling his license plates! The Arizona collection just went for $26,000! haha insane. They have sold easily over $100,000 worth of license plates and they aren't even half way done.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:50 AM   #209
Plowboy
Alliance Member

I don't think it costs anything to bid online, but I didn't see where they had any of the motorcycles listed for the online sale, only the lots of plates for today.
Old 11-04-2011, 10:52 AM   #210
mike hamel

No, the motorcycles are up for auction today, same with the bikes!