Register now to get rid of these ads!

Starter for 8BA Flathead with Merc-o-matic

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctor Detroit, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I recently learned that a 1951 Mercomatic / Fordomatic starter has different mounting with a tab for a bolt sticking out from main body, a different drive assembly, and different toothcount. I'm mounting this to an 8BA Flathead.
    Does anybody have a picture of this probably-not-very-common starter? Does anybody have this setup and able to share some info? I need to find one and I'm not having much luck.

2. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I read elsewhere that there may be a difference in the end of the Flathead crankshaft for an automatic transmission. Can anybody elaborate on this?

3. I'll check in my 49-51 Lincoln/Mercury shop manual and parts book to see if they list a specific part # for that starter.
    Matt

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

What to look for: Starter main case looks like all other flathead starters, but there is a protruding tab at base that takes a bolt. Drive has a different tooth count than standard '32-53, and I think even a different style of drive barrel.
    Solution...I have one, entirely surplus to requirement, in NJ that needs only a ride to Chicago. HAMB relay? Anyone headed to shows in the north? I deeply wish to avoid shipping the lump as there is already way to damn much going on in my life.

DD, have you ever gone to Hershey??? Whythehellnot? Tell your boss that you will be sick in October and I'll bring the thing.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

In this cruel selfish world.. Bruce you make my day!
    Truly a selfless positive addition to this big rock.

6. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Bruce,
    I appreciate that you're offering yours. I need to find a way to get my hands on it. As far as Hershey, I'll have to forecast my workload in October and see if I can get away!

7. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I just looked at both of the 8BA Flathead starters I have, and I never had them side by side before. They look different. Can anyone tell me what each of these are for? Is one a truck starter?

Attached Files:

8. flatjack

flatjack

The one on the left is not for a flathead.

9. Jim Marlett

Jim Marlett

The one on the left is the automatic transmission starter. (It was apparently used for the overhead valve six cylinder as well, but I didn't know that.) It's a dead ringer for the automatic starter in my '52/'53 service manual. However, in my dusty foggy memory, I didn't recall such a difference in gear size. I'd rather trust the service manual than my memory, though. I can't tell you for sure about the earlier '51 automatic starters, but I would guess they were the same.

10. 59ab

59ab

Jim Marlett is right!

11. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Hey Jim,
    Thanks for the information. I like your Flathead & Nostalgia Drag site - Pretty awesome.

12. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

It's by pure luck that I have the starter - if in fact it will work on my engine. It's also appears that it's luck that my crank has the necessary hole to avoid interfering with the merc-o-matic. The 51-53 cranks had the hole, where the 49-50 cranks did not, from other research I have done.

Last edited: Sep 5, 2011
  13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

One more check...the tooth count, probably listed in the shop manual. All my literature is too old to pick up '51 stuff. Different drive and gear checks with my memory, but verify the number then throw it on there.

14. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

The starter on the left, which has been identified as an automatic starter, has 9 teeth. The other starter, with the corkscrew shaft, has 10 teeth.

15. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

I'm still not certain that the starter I have will fit correctly for a merc-o-matic. It doesn't seem to fit right, unless I am doing something wrong. I'll try to get a picture of all of the parts later to post. Can anyone else chime in? Bruce - do you have any pictures of a starter installed?

16. George/Maine

George/Maine

Post # 7 the one on right looks like it.
    Held on with 2 bolts.
    I think the automatic has a different starter plate.
    Down bottom right side you will see The Ford Barn
    check over there.

17. flatjack

flatjack

Here is a picture of a starter for the flathead with an automatic. As you can see, neither of the ones you have pictured will work. It attaches with the two thru bolts and another bolt for the tab.

Attached Files:

18. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Flatjack, thanks for the info and picture.

I also posted this thread on Ford Barn and received some good info there too.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.fordbarn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48011
    Once I get this all squared away, I'll edit my first post to summarize everything.

19. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Dang. Someone come pick up mine and HAMB relay it to Dee-troit.
    If you are not in a rush, mebbe I can ship the thing after Hershey, or take it to Hershey if someone you know will be there. Single tab is right. I unbolted the one I have myself from a '51 Ford with cruise0, and left the silly 8,000 pound transmission lying there.

20. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Apparently the mercomatic/fordomatic from the early 50's aren't terribly desirable, which must explain why there's not much info out there, and finding a starter isn't as easy as going to ebay and buying one. My '51 Merc came with a mercomatic, so it has the automatic steering column.

21. Straightpipes

Straightpipes

Oh yes! A wonderful transmission. There are two down behind my barn in the weeds if anybody wants them. Maybe I've got the starters around here somewhere.......

22. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Straightpipes, if you were closer I'd come by and help you clean up the weeds.

23. panheadguy

panheadguy
    from S.E. WI

Hey D.D. Looks like your making some progress. I looked in the barn and I don't have a starter that looks like the one evryone says you need. Did you find the other missing parts to make it all work? Hope that tranny works after all the aggravation.
    Guy

24. Doctor Detroit

Doctor Detroit

Hey Panheadguy,
    The starter is the only piece I am missing now. I got my hands on the other parts to bolt the transmission to the flathead.