Register now to get rid of these ads!

Problems with Paulson wheels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by The Shocker, Jul 11, 2005.

1. The Shocker

The Shocker

Has anyone else had a problem with Pete Paulson wheels?I ordered a set of chrome "OE" wheels for my '60 that were not even reversed.I was told by them that it would probably be 2 weeks to 3 on the outside.I am going on 6 weeks.I called once a week or so ago to inquire about them and was told they would find out where they were and call me right back.Two days later i called them back cuz i got tired of waiting for them to call me ,and they acted like they could care less when i got them.I got my credit card bill today and i see why they dont care.Its because they already charged me in full for the wheels weeks ago.Exuse me for being a bit shitty,but i am driving around on bent rims and maypops daily ,waiting for wheels that i have already paid for ,from a company that doesnt seem to care when i get them.

2. outkast

outkast

i have a shop here in wichita and you know if i did somebody that way theyd hamg me, it seems that if your not a fuckstick like boyd or foose, or have some lame ass show on tv where they send you shit for free, your jus screwed

3. caddyman65

caddyman65

I got screwed by them too,and they didnt seem to give a shit either .I need a set of wheels for another car and wont get them from Paulson..greed is so short sighted:mad:

4. Flipper

Flipper
    from Kentucky

I've bought from them in the past with great results. They even BEAT the estimated ship date.

....but things could have changed since then.

5. The Shocker

The Shocker

I know shit happens sometimes in bussiness,but there is no exuse to me for treating your customers like dung.If they cant get them to you when they said they would,then they should atleast contact you and let you know whats going on.

6. lownrusty

lownrusty

Never had aproblem with Pete, call him personally and he will take care of you, I know he's had supplier problems but talk directly to Pete not his help!

7. BLAKE

BLAKE

Same thing happened to me with Paulsen a couple of months back. I've been burned by Wheel Vintiques and Stockton Wheel, but I had one really good experience with Paulsen under my belt so I used them again. Waited 4 weeks for two chrome steel wheels to show - when they got here, one had chrome literally flaking off the center of the rim - I actually sliced my finger open getting the rim outta the shipping box. Shipped it back, then waited a good 6 weeks for it to get back to me. Every time I called them I heard, "Lemme check and I'll call you back" and NEVER got a call back. About 3-4 weeks into this mess I was told it would ship from the chrome shop on Monday - called that Tuesday to check up on it, and was told it was still at the machine shop (!?!). WTF is my chrome steel wheel doing at the machine shop, especially since it was supposedly at the chrome shop 3 days earlier!?! Fuckin' clueless.

I'd like to say I'd never use them again, but based on what I saw from Stockton Wheel and Wheel Vintiques, I'm not sure any one is better/worse than the others.

8. Tony

Tony

I havn't bought or delt with Paulson, but i have had this problem with chrome 'OE' wheels, twice.
    I bought two set's from Moon a while ago, one for my coupe and another for my truck. Probably about a year or so apart.
    Both time's i was told about 3-4 weeks because they had to make them to order..
    Moon dosn't make these themselves, they were from Wheels of Steel..
    Anyway, i waited the time they said, then about another 5 weeks on top of that for both sets!
    NEVER again will i buy A wheel from moon.
    They had No good explinations whatsoever.NOTHING!

Now, i have had a GREAT experience buying another set of chrome 'OE' wheels...that was from a HAMBer.
    I called VAPHEAD on here about ordering a set.
    He gave me a very fair price considering the cost of steel now day's,and told me when i should expect them if i ordered them.
    I ordered this set with a reverse offset, so i knew they had to be made.
    These came from the same place as moon, Wheels of Steel, and came to me in the time i was told, which was 2 weeks...and i remember right, i think they came EARLY besides!

No waiting around..

Now, how come i got three set's of wheels all from the same manufacturer, and only one set was delivered ON TIME!

Because not everyone take's care of business like the're supposed to.

It's really a shame shit like this happens when it's so easy to just follow through and do thing's right..
    If they have had problems with getting these wheels, thats fine, just tell the costomer what he's in for. If the costomer's cool with the time issue then everyone's on the same page.

I'm sure people will tell me, maybe it wasn't Moons fault and it was the manufacturer...maybe so, but i just found it odd that they all came from the same place, and i only had problems with the one's i got from Moon.
    I guess not many people take PRIDE in what they do anymore...................

Deal with VAPHEAD...good people.

9. MonsterMaker

MonsterMaker

I have had problems with them in the past, and they are very stand-offish when you call in problems.....and they are VERY slow to deliver, but do deliver....just bug the shit out of em.

On a good note, I just got a pair of wheels for the 41 coupe from them....took a week longer than it was supposed to but they got em to me (probably because I called 2x a week)

Stockton Wheel isnt much better but they are another option.

-Nick

10. Paul2748

Paul2748

I would call the credit card company and dispute the charge. DON'T PAY IT. Once you pay it the credit card companies couldn't care less. Maybe once these guys realize that they aren't getting paid till they deliver they will get your order out.

11. The Shocker

The Shocker

If I hadnt already paid for the set I am getting rear ended on ,I would buy from him.This is the last time I will buy wheels from a big name company.

12. DrJ

DrJ

I like to go to a store and buy stuff.
    If they have to order it, fine.
    But I don't pay them a nickle till it's in my hand.
    If they want to charge it before ordering, fine, but only if "It will be here this afternoon"
    If its not there, as promised, I have them cancel the charge. If they don't want to, I just call Visa and cancel it myself.
    If it comes in the next day, and they call me, I'll go "buy" it again.
    If they don't want to do business that way, I go somewhere else.
    But then, here in Los Angeles County, I have lots of dealers to choose from.

I buy everything on the Visa card, never cash because a 100% money back guarantee is just a phone call away. The only thing I pay cash for is vegetables and diner food.

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

Thanks for the advise.I may just do that.

14. Yep, I'm having problems with Pete Paulson's now too.

I ordered a set of chrome reversed wheels over TWO MONTHS ago... he said it would take ten days, and it has been over two months.

Same thing I'm hearing from you guys "We should have them done by blah,blah,blah..."

That says a lot about how the place is ran...
    Sam.

15. ray

ray
    from colorado

man, i was just about to order some wheels from him yesterday, now i dunno. the only reason i didn't get it done yesterday, i figured i'd give some of the local shops a shot at the deal, but no go, it's really sad when the "good old" wheel shops don't think ANYBODY makes the correct old style chrome reverse wheels! meanwhile i can source them myself. geezus. i draw the line at telling the shop where to order the parts from, i just might have to send some business Vaphead's way.

16. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

I'd like to say I'd never use them again, but based on what I saw from Stockton Wheel and Wheel Vintiques, I'm not sure any one is better/worse than the others.[/QUOTE]

Man,This is not what I want to hear:mad: ! I just ordered a set of 4 raw O.E Stock wheels from from Wheel Vintiques July 5th........they said approx. 3 maybe 4 weeks tops! ..

anybody had a problem with these guys real recently,like within the last month?

17. 5window

5window

I'd hate to think that Paulson's had come to this. I ordered a set of chrome smoothies back around January,custom offsets,too. They came right on time,free shipping,too and with free Baby Moons. Cost me $320 including shipping and the Moons. I found them easy to deal with amd knowledgeable. The wheels were good quality and the chrome looks good so far. Only problem I had was that one wheel runs a little side to side on the balancer-balanced okay tho and runs okay I think.

I agree with lownrusty and Paul2748. Dispute the charge on your credit card, but call Pete first and give him a chance to straighten it out. After all, you do need the wheels and everybody else seems to have a bad rep,too.

18. I've never had a problem with them in the past either. It could be that times have changed, or the fact that the old man is getting pretty long in th tooth.
    It could just be that whenever I've ordered from them I've called and chewed the fat with the old man for awhile, we share some things in common (and anybody could if they tried ;)) we were both in the bay area in the '60s.

19. Tony

Tony

I hear ya man...
    Live and learn. Like i said, i had to do it twice before i learned.

Good luck!

20. desertdroog

desertdroog

Thanks for this post. Not that you are getting jerked around but because I am going to be buying some wheels soon and after reading the Stockton Wheel thread a bit ago, was about to go either Wheel Vintique or Pete Paulsen instead. Now I am glad I did not do either. So...Vaphead is the man on the HAMB to get steelies from?

21. We ordered a pair a month ago and there just arriving at their shop this Thursday! Guess the '55 Gasser is'nt going to the Road Agents now!
    -Dean

22. Tony

Tony

Well, i got mine from him like i said.
    When i decided what i was going to run, i knew i didn't want to call Moon again. So i figured there's got to be someone on here i can get these through.

I read somewhere else about a HAMBer dealing with Vaphead and that they were pleased with the dealing so i thought what the hell, i'll ask if he can get 'em.
    The rest went down like i said in the earlier post.

I'm sure anyone of these places who don't make the wheels themselve's are at the mercy of who does, so even the best guy can have issue's.
    I just felt like i was dealing with an old friend when i delt with him..
    Not some bigtime place that didn't give a shit.

23. GomezGarage

GomezGarage

Fuck them. I've been waiting for 8 WEEKS.

24. phat rat

phat rat

Personally I wouldn't order wheels for a kids wagon from Stockton they don't care about specs or anything, ordered back space of +or- 1/4" is within their specs. So you could end up with 1/2" difference from one wheel to the other When I complained I was told that I shouldn't be that fussy and that I screwed up building the truck if their wheel wasn't right. I've had excellent luck with Early Wheel, specs exactly what I order and timely shipping. I've had two sets from them and the set on my cpe have been run 8 years

25. HolyHandGrenade

HolyHandGrenade

The wheels on the back of my truck are 15" wide, so they were made out of two wheels. When they came from Paulson they were all surface rust. No big deal, Sandbasted and painted them. Put them on the truck and the drivers side tire kept going flat. Soaped around the bead and stem and couldn't find a leak anywhere. Broke the tire down and realized they missed 6" of weld on the seem. ASSHOLES!!!!!

My Dad bought his wheels from them and they came all primered and ready to go. So I guess it is hit or miss with them at best.

26. Tony

Tony

This post got me thinking..
    It seems a lot of guy's ordering chrome stock wheels have a wait.
    On special order stuff i can understand having to wait for them to be built, but does anyone have any idea why stock offset's are not already made?
    Think about it, if you want a set of american torque thrust's, more than likely the're made already and just get pulled from stock and shipped....
    Ok, so maybe having them chromed take's a while, but if you wanted the multi-lug smoothie's with the caps which are chromed, you can call and probably get them too without having a huge wait...

Is the demand for these thing's just not high enough for anyone to have them in stock, and that's why they all seem to be made to order?

Sorry, this just crossed my mind a little while ago.. I guess i just don't understand what's so special or difficult about these....

I'm probably just missing something...

27. The Shocker

The Shocker

Yep,i figured i wasnt the only one getting the shaft.I dont know if i feel better or worse after reading all this shit.I guess my wheels will just get here when they get here.With all this talk about unwelded seems,surface rust and peeling chrome right out of the box,i cant wait to see what mine will look like. Man,these wheel companies sure know how to get themselves alot of free advertisment.Paulson wheels sucks ass!

28. Avg.Joe

Avg.Joe

I was in the same situation with wheelsmith in Santa Ana Ca. they tell you 2 weeks and 6 weeks later after being fully charged and playing the phone chase game still no goods just shitty attitude. I finally drove there and had them put the funds back on my card. this was the second bad experience with them. Highly NOT recommended. Still looking for a good wheel builder.

Hud

29. Grumpy

Grumpy
    from NE Ohio

My buddy ordered Wheel Vintiques chrome OE rims from Summit of all places. $80 each and got them in 10 days.

Go figure.

BUT, you may have a hard time getting one of the jackoffs there to understand you do not want smoothies. I called and talked to three different guys that said they couldn't get those.

Drove down there(40 minutes)and the first guy I asked pulled them right out of the book. End of story.

Here's the ones he got from summit. very nice chrome too.

Attached Files: