Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > The H.A.M.B. Marketplace > Classifieds > Parts For Sale

Old 08-25-2011, 10:07 PM   #1
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Default USA Made High Quality Bear Claw Door Latches and Install Kits

I had an old long-running ad for the latches that lost the link in the HAMB melt-down a few weeks back. So here is a new ad for the same latches. I have sold hundreds of these to HAMBers, through ebay (at higher price to cover the fees) and at swap meets or other car events. 100% satisfied customers and nothing but positive reviews.

These are a US made, high quality bearclaw latch that beats the crap out of any other aftermarket offshore produced latch. The manufacturer is an OEM supplier and ISO-9000 quality facility. These are best quality parts used by RV, truck and agriculture manufacturers. I have two sizes that I offer:
1) Large latch size is 4.5 tall x 1.75 wide x 0.75 thick, the std large size bear claw latch
2) Small latch size is 3.88 tall x 1.25 wide x 0.80 thick, the std small size bear claw latch

These meet Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards, which means they are OEM quality. Not some aftermarket crap from China. Zinc plated for corrosion resistance, they have dry film lube and grease for lifetime use. They are 2-position for extra security. Large size is a double catch arm and the small size has single catch arm. When you release the latch it helps push the striker bolt out and the door open when they release - no door popper needed.

Large size has an extra long release arm 2.5 inch from pivot to hole, so they are easy to pull open or adapt to your needs. The four holes are threaded 1/4 x 20 (1/4 coarse) thread for easy mounting. You get new striker bolts with the latches, they have 7/16 x 14 (7/16 coarse) threaded stud.

Small size has a 1.5 inch length release arm, three holes threaded 1/4 x 20, and have matching striker bolts with 3/8 x 16 (3/8 coarse) threaded stud.

You can buy the same thing for a lot more money elsewhere. I am not making any serious profit or trying to go into the bear claw business, I have a regular job. Just helping friends and gives me a small tax write-off as home based business. $32 for a pair of bear claw latches and striker bolts plus $6 shipping in USPS Priority Mail flat rate small box. Total is $38 per pair shipped in US.

I can fit 2 pairs (4 total latches and 4 striker bolts) in the box for the same $6 shipping, but it is tight. Total is $70 shipped in US. International is not a problem, I use the same USPS Priority Mail shipping, Canada is $21 and Europe/Australia/UK/New Zealand/Scandinavia is $25. I can fit the same two pairs in the box for the same price as one pair for international also.

Pic below of large size has the top latch in the halfway closed position. Bottom latch in fully closed position.

Pic below shows large size with the striker bolts in the fully closed and halfway positions

Pic below of small size has the top latch in the full open position. Bottom latch in partially closed position.

Pic below of small size has both latches in the open position.

Pic below shows the small latches with striker bolts in the latches with fully closed and partially closed position.

You will not be disappointed in these. Good high quality US made latches for your project. These do not need a high power solenoid to open. Please use PM and contact me if interested. I can take paypal or MO's. I can send a specification sheet with dimensions and specifics on the latch test specs if you PM me your email address. Thanks, Terry

edit Oct 16, 2011: note price is $32/pair
edit Jan 29, 2013: post office international rates went up, again. Domestic rate went up slightly, I can absorb that small increase with no change to the $6
Edit June 16, 2012: Added Install Kits and new Micro size latches below

Finally have the install kits! These are also made in USA at a small fabricator shop. The large latch size 90 degree bend piece for your door is made from 14 gage steel. Real strong and oversize dimensions of 8 x 3 x 1.75 inches to make easy fitting and welding into your door. The striker bolt plate goes inside your B-pillar and is not welded to the B-pillar, it's function is to keep the nut from turning. The flange nut is welded to the plate. It can also be cut to fit, also 14 gage and measures 5.5 x 2.25 inches. See pics below:

The small latch size 90 degree bend piece for your door is also made from 14 gage steel. Oversize dimensions of 7 x 2.25 x 1.75 inches to make easy fitting and welding into your door. The striker bolt plate goes inside your B-pillar and is not welded to the B-pillar, it's function is to keep the nut from turning. The flange nut is welded to the plate. It can also be cut to fit, also 14 gage and measures 5.5 x 2.25 inches. See pics below:

Either size latch install kit is $20 for the four pieces (two 90 degree bends and two nut plates). Shipping is $6 for each kit, up to two kits can also fit in a box for same price. If you also purchase some latches I can combine with the latches in same box for no additional shipping cost. That means $52 for the parts plus $6 shipping = $58 total for one pair of latches and install kit. For international guys, the install kits have same shipping as the latches - but I can only fit two install kits, or one install kit and one pair of latches before it goes over weight limits. Contact me as I know this is sort of confusing to get the exact rates.

I also have started carrying a micro size latch, of course made in USA by the same supplier as the bigger latches. This is great for trunk lid, glovebox, hoods, I even sold several to a landspeed guy for his parachute tube end covers. These are not certified for doors and are not strong enough. Get the real latches made for doors. However if you need a good trunk or hood latch or similar, these micro latches are the solution for you. These measure 2.5 x 1 x 0.5 inches. They sell for $24/pair with matching striker bolts included, plus $6 shipping just like the bigger latches.

I will always try to make shipping the cheapest I can by combining parts into one USPS Small Flat Rate box. For USA shipping the only limit is the size of the box and what can fit in. International has a 4 lb limit, so generally two items (two pairs of latches, one pair latches and one install kit, or two install kits for example) will use up the 4 lb limit.

I am slowly making progress on my website, it will have direct ordering so should make it a bit easier. Since I do this very much as side business and I am not a computer programmer, the website will get done eventually.......

Thanks to all of the previous customers! Terry

Purchase directly here: www.hotrodlatches.com

Last edited by 38Chevy454; 11-29-2013 at 05:23 PM. Reason: 01/29/13: adjusted shipping rates for international; 11/29/13: Price error on micro latches fixed
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:13 PM   #2
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Default Re: USA Made High Quality Bear Claw Door Latches

See pics of a typical beaarclaw latches installation here in AstroZombie's build pics:
http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...=481666&page=5

Old 10-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

All sold out at the old price. Thanks for all previous purchases. New price is $32/pair for either size. I have lots of each size with the new order of supplies. Same exact parts and same high quality parts as before.

Still the best parts you can get for the money. I have had several people replace Autoloc or other made in China crap, all have been very happy with the excellent latches. Buy the latches from me and avoid any problems from the start.

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 10-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #4
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3banjos View Post
I'll give Terry a plug by saying top quality latches and a great price tag.
Very happy customer this side of the pond.
Thanks for the plug and a bump to the top. As seen by 3banjos location in New Zealand, I can ship the latches anywhere, international is no problem. Thanks to all previous purchasers for the sales.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Let's give a bump for the new year. I have had a few questions on if I still sell them since the ad can look old. I reorder more whenever when my stock gets low, I always have them in stock. I am working on a small website that is not ready yet, so for now please PM me for interest. Thanks, Terry

Old 03-13-2012, 09:50 PM   #6
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wayne421 View Post
Do they fit 64 fairlane
Bump to the top, and also I will answer the question. Helps to send a PM for specific questions so I can reply back quickly. This is a good question though for general answer.

These latches are not a bolt-in for any stock latch. You will need to do some amount of fabrication to make them fit your car. Could be as easy as cutting some clearance and drilling a few holes. Some doors the shape requires welding in a plate to make a flat mounting surface. Every vehicle has to be figured out on a case-by-case basis. I know the large size will fit most applications, unless you have real thin doors like a roadster has. Just check your door vs the sizes listed above to determine which is best for your application.

I am getting the installation kits, should have them soon. Made by a small USA business. No China crap here. The latches are made by a large OEM supplier, but they do not want to mess with the install kits; so I found a small business to make them up. Look for an announcement of the install kits with pictures coming soon.

Thanks to all that have bought latches previously! Terry

Old 04-04-2012, 12:23 PM   #7
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
What is in an install kit? I am looking to upgrade to these on my 46' Int. Harvester. I am also wanting to run a different hinge setup as well. Can you point me in the right direction?
Bump this to the top and answer the question.

Install kit is just a piece of sheetmetal that is bent 90 degrees and has the cutout for the striker and mounting holes for the latch. You weld this into your door if the shape of your vehicle's door does not allow to mount the latch easily due to shape. You also need a threaded nut on a piece of metal to keep the striker bolt from turning inside the B-pillar.

I am working to get these install kits, but unfortunately do not have them at this time. The small business supplier I am working with is close.

Old 06-16-2012, 06:58 PM   #8
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

OK, finally have the production install kits received and ready to ship. See details in the lead post.

Bump this up and let's sell some install kits to go with those latches!

Old 12-05-2012, 04:20 PM   #9
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Christmas present bump. I ship out USPS Priority mail so most lower 48 get them in a few days.

I always keep parts in stock, so my typical shipping is the day after you pay.

Old 01-20-2013, 03:17 PM   #10
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

I will be at the Turlock swap meet Jan 25-26 (Fri and Sat, but not Sun - have to travel back to NM), and will have a lot of latches and install kits with me to sell. Will be hanging out at space I-42. Stop by and save the shipping costs.

....and a bump for the rest that can't make to the Turlock swap.

Old 03-07-2013, 10:36 PM   #11
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Let's give this a coming out of winter bump.

I always have the parts in stock. Always ready to ship.

Old 06-24-2013, 05:12 PM   #12
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Time for an upcoming July 4th holiday bump. Thanks to all for the purchases over past several years.

Old 09-07-2013, 12:15 PM   #13
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

After Labor Day, end of summer, order up your latches for the winter project season!

Still same prices, and always keep parts in stock ready to ship.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:32 PM   #14
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

**Breaking News**

Finally have the website up and running: www.hotrodlatches.com

Go there and you can purchase directly. If any questions, please feel free to PM me here. Thanks, Terry

Old 02-16-2014, 01:22 PM   #15
38Chevy454
Alliance Member

Give this a bump. The website is set up for paypal. If you have any troubles, send me your email address and order request and I can send you an invoice direct. Thanks, Terry