Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-24-2011, 11:20 AM   #21
beegator
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: The FED Experience

Photo by LIPPY

Rocky Pirrone
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:23 AM   #22
BELLM
Alliance Member

Awesome Kerry! You did good,both building and driving! Enjoyed the video since I wasn't there. I still laugh when I think about your dead skunk/state trooper story
Old 08-24-2011, 11:26 AM   #23
Kerry
Alliance Member

Thanks for the kind words guys. :-)

Beaner, a local buddy is selling me a pair of 15x10 Ansen sprints for the princely sum of $50. I'd love some torque thrusts of better yet, old Romeo Palamides but this is in my price range. If I get to big withthe slicks I'll have to modify the trailer.

Color me ignorant but I never knew someone had to be in the car every fireup. What is the thinking behind the rule? I could see it in a clutch car but it doesn't make a lot of sense in an automatic car.

www.vagabonds.cc
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-24-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
hog mtn dave

Cool video, cool car, hate I missed being there again. Great job.
Old 08-24-2011, 11:55 AM   #25
Model A John
Alliance Member

It was a pleasure to finally meet you. Sure enjoyed visiting with you Saturday. Are you going to the Ardmore, OK, race Sept. 3rd? If so, I'll see ya there. By the way, the video is great!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:01 PM   #26
rooman

Kerry,
once again thanks for trusting me with your toy. I knew that I was steering it some during the run but I sure look busy in the video. You did great for first time out. Slingshots are so different to drive than anything else but at least you are the first to know when they get out of shape. I only ever made a couple of laps in rear engine cars and never did like them as it is hard to know what is going on back there.
Real race cars are the ones where the driver can see the motor.

Roo
Old 08-24-2011, 12:06 PM   #27
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerry View Post
Thanks for the kind words guys. :-)

Beaner, a local buddy is selling me a pair of 15x10 Ansen sprints for the princely sum of $50. I'd love some torque thrusts of better yet, old Romeo Palamides but this is in my price range. If I get to big withthe slicks I'll have to modify the trailer.

Color me ignorant but I never knew someone had to be in the car every fireup. What is the thinking behind the rule? I could see it in a clutch car but it doesn't make a lot of sense in an automatic car.

Kerry
The thinking is that if you are in the car you are in control. Lots of cars get cranked and warmed with no one in it.

hey looks like your light in the tail digger isn't going to be needing cheaters. My heavy in the rear gasser doesn't have any if you get to feeling generous.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 08-24-2011, 12:17 PM   #28
rick finch
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
Kerry,
once again thanks for trusting me with your toy. I knew that I was steering it some during the run but I sure look busy in the video. You did great for first time out. Slingshots are so different to drive than anything else but at least you are the first to know when they get out of shape. I only ever made a couple of laps in rear engine cars and never did like them as it is hard to know what is going on back there.

Roo
The biggest transition for me was learning to drive a RED as opposed to a FED....VERY steep learning curve! (I always prefered my old FED)...Kerry, the tendency to over correct soon ends after you make a few laps, just keep doing it, and you'll get the hang of it.
Old 08-24-2011, 12:29 PM   #29
Kerry
Alliance Member

You are more than welcome Roo. :-) Changing that crazy gas pedal will go a long way to making me more comfortable in the car.

The little burnout I did was cool, seeing the smoke come off of the left tire in front of me.

I am officially addicted... and still grinning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
Kerry,

Roo

www.vagabonds.cc
Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #30
dreracecar

Color me ignorant but I never knew someone had to be in the car every fireup. What is the thinking behind the rule? I could see it in a clutch car but it doesn't make a lot of sense in an automatic car.[/QUOTE]

NHRA 9:14

" It is mandatory that a driver be seated in the car in the normal driving position anytime the engine is running, unless coupler or driveline is removed from vehicle"

It came about when sombody started their car from the outside in gear without a neutral saftey switch and it took off. Plus if everybody adhears to the saftey rules the officals dont have to worry about whats going on when they hear a engine running.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #31
lippy
Old School HAMBer

Outstanding movie. I call it a movie cause it is! I think if you had a butterfly wheel in there a guy wouldn't be steering it so much. Don't get me wrong, I like the steering wheel in that car. Bitchin deal all around. You did a fantastic job on the car. I don't know about letting Roo drive it though. I better shut up he has my front axle. Lippy
Old 08-24-2011, 01:06 PM   #32
Hot Rod Ron
Old School HAMBer

Congrats on the build and getting to drive it. Such a bad ass video and really shows what's going on.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #33
drjones96

My dad used to be a regular at the local strips in Southeast MO back in the late '60's/early 70's. A guy he used to run with decided he was going to buy a top fuel FED (and secretively his plan was to get my dad to drive it for him...because my dad was the craziest SOB he knew...). So he called my dad up and told him to meet him at the Paragould, AR strip so he could make a few passes in it. My dad had driven mostly full bodied cars on the strip but reluctantly decided to give it a try.

Quote:
"I made 5 passes in that damn thang...getting faster with each pass....and I never once had control of it when it was moving."

He kept it off the rail....and went back to racing cars he had some control over.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:23 PM   #34
Throttlemonkey
FNG

Rear engine cars are for girls.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:27 PM   #35
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My dad used to be a regular at the local strips in Southeast MO back in the late '60's/early 70's. A guy he used to run with decided he was going to buy a top fuel FED (and secretively his plan was to get my dad to drive it for him...because my dad was the craziest SOB he knew...). So he called my dad up and told him to meet him at the Paragould, AR strip so he could make a few passes in it. My dad had driven mostly full bodied cars on the strip but reluctantly decided to give it a try.

Quote:
"I made 5 passes in that damn thang...getting faster with each pass....and I never once had control of it when it was moving."

He kept it off the rail....and went back to racing cars he had some control over.
I don't think anyone ever really has control of a top fuel car, they just get calloused after a few passes.

I have a friend that raced top fuel until the early '80s. He told me once that as much as he loved it he always climbed in and just hoped for the best.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 08-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #36
Second Amendment
Alliance Member

More balls than I.
Great video. Loved the intro music.
Old 08-24-2011, 02:14 PM   #37
2935ford

cool video...never been a dragster........thanks for the fun!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #38
mctim64
Alliance Member

Excellent!!! Just what I wanted to see, Ingenuity in Action !! Nice job!

"it looks just like a Tellafunkin U-47"

http://yblockguy.com/
Old 08-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #39
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

Really cool guys, appreciate all the effort in the video. It was very special to see Kerry's rig perform. Nice pass with Rooman as well. Good stuff! ~sololobo~
Old 08-24-2011, 02:32 PM   #40
JimC

Forget about the gas pedal, where you goin to put the radio?