Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 08-22-2011, 03:24 PM   #41
nate

Default Re: The 2011 H.A.M.B. Drags

this is what it's all about. you guys didn't fix my truck worth a damn but you did more than you'll ever know.

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 04:10 PM   #42
blacktopbuddha
Alliance Member

friggin' awesome - that's all I can say
Old 08-22-2011, 04:25 PM   #43
Muttley
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
Even if you have to fly out, we'll pick you up at the airport.
Thanks, but I'll never set foot on another airplane. I used to fly all the time and figure I've used up just about all of my flight luck. People tell me its much safer than driving and I always tell them you dont fall thirty thousand feet without a parachute in a car wreck.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 08-22-2011, 04:39 PM   #44
Spike!
Old School HAMBer

I got a call from Don Moyer last week, inviting me to ride along with him to the drags..unfortunately I couldn't accept but i really wanted to. Its just not in the cards for me until I can get on my feet financially. i have to choose my battles carefully these days. Damn day job. Who needs em? Somebody hire me as a full time car photographer...anybody.. Maybe I can go next year..been saying that since the first HAMB drags...damn.

Spike
Old 08-22-2011, 04:57 PM   #45
ORGANGRINDER
Grenade Inspector

incredible show ryan and alllll the help. the yay-hoo's are greatest hot rod people i've ever met and enjoyed the time with them. thanks for the encouragement to compete for the trophy and it sure couldn't have gone to a better family. without a doubt the very best event i go to each year. had a challenge getting the family in 3 different cities at once(okie city, kansas city and joplin) but we were all back together sat afternoon. thanks again ryan for putting this show on!!!!!!
Old 08-22-2011, 05:15 PM   #46
Jkustom

Man.. I swear someday I'll make it to the drags.. Work sure does have a way of ruining a good time!

"Thanks for the big burnout you done leaving JCustom,they heard it on the third floor." - Hambandy
Old 08-22-2011, 05:20 PM   #47
rooman

I had wanted to attend this event for some time and I am very glad that I finally bit the bullet and made the effort. Thanks to Don Moyer for letting me ride down with him, it was a blast apart from the cone zones in Indiana. The drags were great but the evenings in the parking lot were just as good. I got to hang out with some old friends and made some new ones too.
If all goes well I will be bringing my top fuel car next year. My mate Dennis (the Aussie who towed Kev, Marky, and Squeek's cars out) has an Aussie top fuel car (Scorcher) that raced against my Soapy Sales digger down under in 1970 and on Friday night Dennis and I hatched a plan to put the cars back on the track together at the 2012 HAMB drags. Obviously we won't be able to make full passes but look for some smoke and nitro flames.

Roo
Old 08-22-2011, 05:36 PM   #48
cactus1
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post
this is what it's all about. you guys didn't fix my truck worth a damn but you did more than you'll ever know.

Haha! Sorry Nate, though in my defense, I did say I had the tools but not the knowledge . Great meeting you guys!

Check out my '34 Chevy truck build thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=371802
Old 08-22-2011, 05:48 PM   #49
Cowtown Speed Shop
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Moyer View Post
I figured out why I am salty at the end of saturday...cause I am like a spoiled brat that doesnt want the day to end! It was great seeing old friends and making new ones. Funny how when you make this event only every few years, the people seem like you just saw them yesterday. I noticed a big difference in the type of cars this year and enjoyed the change. I want to thank the boys from California for leaving their great state. It was great to meet you guys in person. Kev, thanks for going to the line with me. I hope somebody got pictures/video of that. Next time I am sure your car will be dialed in and give me fits. I also hope that somebody got a video of my pass with the seven car, he was alot faster so as I was doing my thing, out of the corner of my eye I could see him too....that pass was fun! I very much enjoyed having Rooman as my passenger to the drags, he has some great stories and information, hope I didn't ask too many questions....if only it was closer, I would never miss it!
Don,
I just wanted to thank you and kiwi Kev for coming so far away this year for all of us to be able to enjoy watching you run....For me when You and kevin lined up together, I got goose bumps....You two guys have ruined me for life!!...I have to have a willys Now!....I loved watching every run you and kev made, the lanch is really what does it for me, .....For me "It's not how fast you go, But How you go fast!" Anyhow thanks for making my weekend,
Old 08-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #50
Firedome
Alliance Member

WOW! Still hearing the cars taking off the line!

We had a really wonderful weekend watching some of the most bitchin' cars in the states light them up and roar down the track! Met some new friends and caught up with some old ones over the weekend. The enthusiasm for the event was everywhere and it seemed everyone just got "it".

Thanks Ryan, Marcie and the whole HAMB Drags crew for putting on a truly spectacular event and allowing us to be part of it. You guys rock!
Old 08-22-2011, 06:17 PM   #51
PBRmeASAP
Old School HAMBer

Hugh thanks to everyone that made the event what it is. It's been on my list of to do's for about 7 years, and finally made it. Had a blast, track was great as was hanging in the parking lot of the hotel....now let's see.....tub should be done before '12....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7dc4vEgngQ&NR=1
Old 08-22-2011, 06:22 PM   #52
eastcoast57

MAN, what a great time. The HAMB drags really has the "feel" of an early nationals type event. The parking lot time is great at night, and the one day at the track is killer. We had the little honker back in action, still working some bugs out, it is better to creep up slowly and build a tune up then go balls to the wall and blow up everything the first pass (sometimes). Heres a quick blurry video of our first check out pass,

We made a final push start and pass at the end of the day, breaking the tires loose with some water to mimick a REAL pass from the early days. The ET's arent the greatest but were workin on it! If anyone has any vid or pics of that final pass, let me know! We want to put on a period perfect show of how it really was done,,,, we got some more tricks coming!
Good seein rooman, mr Moyer, kerry, king chassis, (its killer getting oiled down isnt it!) and meeting Kiwi Kev and the shifters guys as well, and everyone else. Big thanks to RYAN for putting on this great event, the pictures you used in this post of me working on the engine and the hamb drags with the plugs on the injector are KILLER!!
And finally, thanks to RICHCRAFT MIKE for coming along for the ride..

comin back the return road..

Pit area...

DRAG CREEP!

End of the day..

'chute thrown in the seat, hot oil out after the last run, sunset in the back, always the last ones at the track... AWESOME!!

We will be back at Larry's SHOWDOWN DRAGS in October before i head out to bakersfield for CHRR... we got some surprises comin...

TH

Last edited by eastcoast57; 08-22-2011 at 06:46 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #53
KING CHASSIS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoKanMan View Post
Much like momma, if the track owner is happy, everybody is happy.

Being a dragster guy, I loved Bobby Hilton's "Little Honker" and he is creating a new tradition of a push start run to end the show. Timing blocks everywhere now fear Brian Fox. Bobby and Brian should get together and discuss the art of peddling. Brian's car is perfect, and he has the flame mask and ball cap to go with it. Enjoyed watching all the diggers, including Kerry's new ride and the LS powered car. Cool stuff

I wanted to get out of the tower and look at many things, and talk to many people, didn't really get the chance.

We had three concessions going and still had lines, we will work on that.

If you like this sort of thing , come and see us October 9th for our American Hot Rod Reunion!
Sorry about the cones and oil. The oil was pushing past the breathers and covered my goggles in oil. And made it all look blury. But I knew one thing. It finally was headed past 500ft and I wasnt lifing for nothing!! Thanks for lettin me run a true nostalgia car at your track. Now with oil covering my face , goggles, cowl and helmet. I feel like a real digger pilot. ha,ha.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #54
eastcoast57

Brian, i was standing at about 800 foot and godamn you looked the part! oil was sprayin, that chevy was screaming, hunched outta the roll cage, you were leggin it! chutes out and over the block... Thats real 60s drag racing man!!

TH
Old 08-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #55
nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus1 View Post
Haha! Sorry Nate, though in my defense, I did say I had the tools but not the knowledge . Great meeting you guys!
You guys did good! I think I have a nasty intake leak but as long as I kept the pedal down it ran ok. Good to meet you Mike!

Old 08-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #56
wingnutz
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnutz View Post
This is The Best event on the HAMB... I miss you all!!!

If all works out for me... I'll be there with something special next year!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
A trailer full of cookies?!?!?

Someday I'm hoping to make the Drags.............I'm thinking 2014, by then my Daughter will be finished with High School.
Didn't think of that...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
even if you have to fly out, we'll pick you up at the airport.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttley View Post
Thanks, but I'll never set foot on another airplane. I used to fly all the time and figure I've used up just about all of my flight luck. People tell me its much safer than driving and I always tell them you dont fall thirty thousand feet without a parachute in a car wreck.
What about a jet powered dragster...?
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #57
Eagletucky

I got to do Bonneville and the HAMB drags in one trip.

Best week of my life....
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 PM   #58
usmc50lx

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooman View Post
I had wanted to attend this event for some time and I am very glad that I finally bit the bullet and made the effort. Thanks to Don Moyer for letting me ride down with him, it was a blast apart from the cone zones in Indiana. The drags were great but the evenings in the parking lot were just as good. I got to hang out with some old friends and made some new ones too.
If all goes well I will be bringing my top fuel car next year. My mate Dennis (the Aussie who towed Kev, Marky, and Squeek's cars out) has an Aussie top fuel car (Scorcher) that raced against my Soapy Sales digger down under in 1970 and on Friday night Dennis and I hatched a plan to put the cars back on the track together at the 2012 HAMB drags. Obviously we won't be able to make full passes but look for some smoke and nitro flames.

Roo
ROO i can't wait! it was good to meet ya and so ya know, me and the boys had a decent pile of "Tinnies" going by the end of the night!
Old 08-22-2011, 07:59 PM   #59
Barn Find T
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate View Post

Ha Ha Ha!!! You Rule Nate!

TJJ on iPhone
Old 08-22-2011, 08:12 PM   #60
Barn Find T
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown Speed Shop View Post
Don,
I just wanted to thank you and kiwi Kev for coming so far away this year for all of us to be able to enjoy watching you run....For me when You and kevin lined up together, I got goose bumps....You two guys have ruined me for life!!...I have to have a willys Now!....I loved watching every run you and kev made, the lanch is really what does it for me, .....For me "It's not how fast you go, But How you go fast!" Anyhow thanks for making my weekend,
What Cowtown said!

Thanks to the CA Kiwis & Crew! Soo Epic!

Ruler's!!!

TJJ on iPhone