Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical 40 Ford Brakes on 32 Spindles Quick Tech

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by badshifter, Jun 28, 2011.

1. badshifter

badshifter

Update below.

I know it's been done a million times, but I just did the swap and took pics in case anyone needs info.
    The 1940 backing plate hole is too big, and the bolt pattern too wide to bolt directly to the 1932 spindles.
    I machined rings to fit the inside diameter of the 40 backing plate, and the register on the 32 spindle. Tig welded it in place, flush. Then made 4 plugs to fill the original holes and welded them up. Locate the 32 spindle and transfer punch the new holes, drill, de-burr and mount!
    I guess the 29 pick-up project is officially under way.

Attached Files:

2. Fogger

Fogger

Now that's the right way to put '40 brakes on a '32 spindle. Through the years I've seen many poor attempts to accomplish this modification. Great logical work done right.

3. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

insert shameless plug here...I have a mint pair of 32 spindles left over from my coupe build...$$ :D

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. alchemy

alchemy

Tell us what you did for the bearing spacer too.

5. badshifter

badshifter

Ahh, that's tomorrows project. I'll post dimensions and bearings too.

6. badshifter

badshifter

Thanks. I've seen some scary stuff as well. Takes a bit of time to do this way, but it's kinda important to get brakes right!

7. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

That modification applies to 28-31 Model as well as 33-35 and early 36 Ford spindles.

8. badshifter

badshifter

The last of the info needed.
    You will need to make a spacer for the inner bearing. OD 1.560" ID 1.187" .375" thick. Chamfer the inside of at least one side (red arrow) that goes onto the spindle.
    Bearing part numbers (Timken):
    15250X inner race
    15118 inner bearing
    09074 outer race
    09196 outer bearing
    5766 Seal (National)
    After you install it all, the spindle may be too long to put the hub on all the way. I just cut the end off and deburr the threads.
    Hope it helps someone!

Attached Files:

9. flatoz

flatoz

I'm about to do this soon, I have this set up on my roadster too using original 32 spindles. I was thinking on how to make sure that I didn't rotate the backing plate any when marking the new holes. I had been thinking of using a pin punch to punch two holes that line up to make sure once the ring is welded in and the old holes plugged, that you can line up the backing plate to redrill the new holes.

maybe I'm over thinking it too.

10. 117harv

117harv

You can clock them differently if you wanted to. I have seen where people rotated them back abit to help with brake line clearance.

Good tech here....done the right way!

11. badshifter

badshifter

I plug welded 3 holes, left one for registration, drilled 3, then did the last one.

12. larry woods

larry woods
    from venice fl

Just a question. i am trying to turn clock back 50+years. when i put juice brakes on 31 spindles i don't remember having to redrill. had a spacer kit and used post war 46-48. would the later not require drilling or is it just CRS? thanx

13. badshifter

badshifter

The bolt pattern is larger by about 3/16" compared to 28-35/6 spindles. You can elongate the existing holes towards the center with a file, die grinder etc. But it's not really how you want to do it. But I'd bet more have been done that way than this way!

14. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Very nicely done badshifter! I thought I was the only one who went to the trouble to weld it all up and redrill. The elongated filed holes always scared me!

15. trad27

trad27

. You said the spindle may be too long, could someone elaborate? I am putting a. Chrome set of 32 spindles in my roadster. I have 3 drivers side and one pass and the snouts are different lengths and trying to figure it out why and if it's a issue. At work now but can get measurements when I get home.

16. badshifter

badshifter

Just saw this again. The only issue with the spindle being slightly longer is the hubcap (actual hub cap that goes on the hub, not on your wheels) may hit the threaded end of the spindle.

need louvers ? likes this.
  17. I don't know for sure but I think I remember that you have to know what you are doing when you chrome suspension parts or they become brittle. As they say, "a little knowledge is dangerous". Can someone help me out here?

Charlie Stephens

18. trad27

trad27

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/early-ford-mystery-spindle-id.1040041/#post-11776643. Thanks for the info, I started another thread apparently I have a mix of modified spindles but I am able to put a good pair together. Anyone have more I info on chrome brittlement? Seen
    many chrome suspension pieces but would like to know more if there are dangers.

19. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

By the way, Richard at the Early Ford Garage in SoCal has a kit available that solves the 40 backing plates/hubs on a 32 spindle problem. I just bought/installed it. Comes with a ring that mounts the backing plate to the spindle, a bearing spacer, and the proper rear seal for the 40 hub. A nice kit.

trad27 likes this.
  20. Duke

Duke

What is the price on the kit?

trad27 likes this.
  21. spanglishkings

spanglishkings
    from Napa, CA

22. Duke

Duke

23. Ilari

Ilari

This is an old topic, but I didn’t want to start a new one. I have 32-spindles with these rings and they hit the seals in the drums. Can I just get rid of them and what they are for?

24. Ilari

Ilari

Here’s the ring I’m talking about.

Attached Files:

25. alchemy

alchemy

Yes that is the original 32 “seal”, if you can believe it. No rubber lip, just a splash guard. Just get a screwdriver behind it and pry it off.

RICH B likes this.
  26. Ilari

Ilari

Thanks, I will do that. :)