Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 09-23-2011, 11:00 AM   #201
DaveHFulton
FNG

Default Re: Fading Thunder...Abandoned Racetracks in Virginia and the Carolinas

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveHFulton View Post
That was Herman Beam's car, driven by Larry Thomas sponsored by Sonny Mallory (The Round Man with the Square Deal) at Richmond. Cale had driven the car and Herman later fielded the #19 as a Chevey for JT Putney.
The car, with Larry Thomas driving, ran 4th, 11 laps down at Richmond in the 1964 Capital City 300, behind Cotton Owens, David Pearson and Richard Petty. Cale drove the same car at Richmond in the spring Richmond 250.

Last edited by DaveHFulton; 09-23-2011 at 11:05 AM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2011, 11:09 AM   #202
phartman

Quote:
I saw it mentioned in this thread that nobody could find a picture of Mooer's Field Speedway in Richmond, Virginia's Scott's Addition. Here is a picture. March 14, 1954 photo. Mooers Field Speedway - Richmond, Virginia. Off West Broad Street at end of Roseneath Road at Carlton in Richmond's near West End, just past Curles Neck Dairy and just before the Acca Railroad Yards (see background). Richmond Colts played baseball at Mooers Field before baseball in Richmond moved to Parker Field on The Boulevard in 1954. Paved weekly Richmond stock car racing eventually moved to Chesterfield County, Virginia's Southside Speedway, which originally opened as Royall Speedway. We used to sit in the dairy bar at Curles Neck Dairy on Saturday afternoon and watch the parade of what my dad called "jalopies" lined up to enter the track. The facility was leveled in 1958. I saw my first circus on the same grounds - the big tent show of Clyde Beatty/Cole Brothers sometime in the 50s. The original baseball grandstands are clearly visible in the racetrack photo.

You'll notice on the Maryland Stock Car Racing Hall of Fame site for Johnny Roberts http://www.mdscrhof.org/Johnny_Roberts.php , that he is listed as having finished 3rd in NASCAR Sportsman standings at Mooers Field for the 1954 season.
Dave, thank you thank you sir! Great important pieces to the puzzle. It was a flat track, I understand?

And would you know anything about sprint cars and/or midgets racing at the city stadium?

Again, many thanks.

Pete
Old 09-23-2011, 11:18 AM   #203
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
Hey Pete......I just got wind of an old dragstrip up around Bassett, Va. My father in law was telling me about it.... he just found out about it and he has lived in Fieldale all his life !! When I go back up for the AMVets car show I'll check it out...'cause....thats where they have it !!
Thumper, I am told that the dragstrip was at the site of the old Fairystone racetrack. It's gone through several name changes and reconfigurations. French Grimes recently brought it back to life. But it is closer to Oak Level, opposite direction from Fieldale. I wonder if there was a second dragstrip there east of Bassett? Dunno.

Please let me know what you find out.

Again, I am stunned by the number of tracks and motorsports venues in the three states. Even today there are still many places to go racing, but few people appreciate how rich the history is locally here.

Many thanks, fellas.

Pete
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 09-23-2011, 11:45 AM   #204
phartman

Update, update! I just spoke with Roddy Moore out at the Blue Ridge Institute at Ferrum, and he tells me that, Yes, not only was there a dragstrip at Fieldale, it is still there! Two very narrow paved lanes (you didn't want to get sideways!) And they ran Super Stocks there. Pictures, anybody???

And he tells me there was an operating dragstrip at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Danville, beside the old Goodyear plant there. Pics?

Oh man, this is nuts....
Old 09-23-2011, 01:57 PM   #205
DaveHFulton
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Dave, thank you thank you sir! Great important pieces to the puzzle. It was a flat track, I understand?

And would you know anything about sprint cars and/or midgets racing at the city stadium?

Again, many thanks.

Pete
My dad saw a midget race or two at Richmond City Stadium. Iremember him saying the top cars ran Mercury Outboard engines. When I worked as Media Relations Director at Richmond International Raceway 1990-1999 I saw several programs from the City Stadium races that I copied and passed on to Chris Economaki.
Old 09-23-2011, 03:28 PM   #206
jimmitchell70
Grenade Inspector

This is a good reason why the HAMB is so great!
Old 09-23-2011, 03:35 PM   #207
Thumper

Quote:
Originally Posted by phartman View Post
Update, update! I just spoke with Roddy Moore out at the Blue Ridge Institute at Ferrum, and he tells me that, Yes, not only was there a dragstrip at Fieldale, it is still there! Two very narrow paved lanes (you didn't want to get sideways!) And they ran Super Stocks there. Pictures, anybody???

And he tells me there was an operating dragstrip at Virginia International Raceway (VIR) in Danville, beside the old Goodyear plant there. Pics?

Oh man, this is nuts....
BINGO ! Found another one !!......hell this is fun.

Rusty Ole Pile of Shit Car Club
Old 09-26-2011, 10:33 PM   #208
Surfref32

Quote:
My dad saw a midget race or two at Richmond City Stadium. Iremember him saying the top cars ran Mercury Outboard engines. When I worked as Media Relations Director at Richmond International Raceway 1990-1999 I saw several programs from the City Stadium races that I copied and passed on to Chris Economaki.
AFAIK, the Elto 4-60 was the only competitive outboard in a Midget. Also, There's a high probability the programs you gave Chris are here.... http://www.emmr.org/library.htm
Old 09-28-2011, 02:20 PM   #209
DaveHFulton
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfref32 View Post
AFAIK, the Elto 4-60 was the only competitive outboard in a Midget. Also, There's a high probability the programs you gave Chris are here.... http://www.emmr.org/library.htm
Thanks for the info on the midget outboards.
Old 10-02-2011, 07:53 AM   #210
phartman

Another big, modern facility has joined the ranks of Ghost Tracks. Southern National outside of Wilson, NC in the eastern part of the state has been dark for several years. It is to be auctioned off in a couple weeks by the bank that now owns the property.

http://theselmanews.com/southern-nat...t-p2055-74.htm

Here is the announcement for the auction:

http://www.johnsonproperties.com/auc...?auctionid=382

Step up to the plate, fellas, and buy yourself a racetrack.

Old 10-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #211
pcracer
FNG

Fairystone and Oak Level aka Fork Mt. are different speedways
Old 10-02-2011, 02:08 PM   #212
phartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcracer View Post
Is Fairystone still around? I'm told it was all the same place. Please elaborate.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:17 PM   #213
pcracer
FNG

Quote:
Fairystone Speedway late 60s? off of RT 57 near Fairystone State Park. A 1/4 mile built and run by Pee Wee Martin. Also in the same timeframe Patrick had Hillbilly Speedway in Patrick Springs also a 1/4 mile built by Red Ashburn. Homes are on or around these two tracks. Wayside Music Park in Stuart started life as Wayside Speedway a 1/2 mile track owned to this day by the Hazelwood family. In the SW part near Mt. Airy NC was Aaratt Speedway a 1/2 mile track that was a Nascar track at some point. Just below the Va/Nc line was Asbury Speedway. Both these tracks are now overgrown.
Old 10-02-2011, 04:42 PM   #214
phartman

Quote:
Fairystone Speedway late 60s? off of RT 57 near Fairystone State Park. A 1/4 mile built and run by Pee Wee Martin. Also in the same timeframe Patrick had Hillbilly Speedway in Patrick Springs also a 1/4 mile built by Red Ashburn. Homes are on or around these two tracks. Wayside Music Park in Stuart started life as Wayside Speedway a 1/2 mile track owned to this day by the Hazelwood family. In the SW part near Mt. Airy NC was Aaratt Speedway a 1/2 mile track that was a Nascar track at some point. Just below the Va/Nc line was Asbury Speedway. Both these tracks are now overgrown.
Thank you, thank you for the clarification. When French Grimes told me that Fairystone and Oak Level were the same I was skeptical, but posted anyway. I recall that Oak Level was built late '70s/early '80s? Correct?

Here is another pic of Fairystone:

Got looking for the Asbury Speedway. Found something called "Pilot Mountain" speedway. Same track? Please let me know. Here is a pic:

And since you're familiar with the area, can you add anything to what we know about the dragstrip near Fieldale? When it operated? Any details.

Again, thanks for your contribution and welcome to the HAMB!
Old 10-02-2011, 04:45 PM   #215
phartman

Yes, there is a topo footprint of "Asbury Speedway", located on Speedway Road in Westfield, NC. Here you go:

Old 10-02-2011, 07:14 PM   #216
pcracer
FNG

Pilot is different from Asbury which ended its time as a moto-cross track.
Old 10-02-2011, 08:00 PM   #217
pcracer
FNG

Eddie Naff, Foots Fulcher,Johnny Bryant,R L Young,Anthony Terry,Joe Thurman,Harry Hale,Kyle Lee,Larry Hodges, Clifford Harris, Toby Nolin,Clarence Pickurel, Roger Hill are just a few of the locals then. Clarence just won the 2011 Nascar Hometracks championship with Phillip Morris has raced over the years with Satch Worley, Paul Radford, Paten Sellers, Ray Hendricks among others in the Clarence's Steak House cars. Roger Hill,Eddie Flemke,Ted Christopher,Ronnie Silk still win Nascar Whelen Modified races. The #26 & #79 have both raced over 40 years
Old 10-02-2011, 08:38 PM   #218
Ebert

Phartman,

Thank you for starting this AWESOME thread!!! Love it and the history about these old tracks!!!
Old 10-02-2011, 10:08 PM   #219
jandlcars

love this thread

i raced CA in the 70's Valejo speedway and many others closed many years ago
the intake manifold on my TT Truck was off an old sprint car befor injection
i have lost intrest in BIG NASCAR
i liked the home tracks and traveling to them
i worked last at Petaluma Speed way in CA moved to FL and worked at southern in milton
not to hyjack this
Old 10-03-2011, 03:32 PM   #220
ods53
FNG

Correct me if I am wrong. After reading this thread: French Grime's
Fork Mountain Raceway is not Satch Worley's Log Cabin Speedway. Not even close to each other.