Register now to get rid of these ads!

Score, little old lady 55 Poncho

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by repoman, Jul 6, 2005.

1. repoman

repoman

This weekend I picked a real one-owner former little old lady car. The owner's family made her stop driving it at age 97. It was then sold to a neighborhood kid, in 1993, who was smart enough not to screw it up.

The kid paid a friend to do some minor bodywork, so it's 75% blocked. This ol' girl is straight! When I asked Mel to chop out the wheel wells for slicks he talked me out of it because the sheetmetal is so nice!

Everything is original, NO options except the hydro. It has rubber floor mats and radio delete. I pulled the original fuel filter out of it last night and dropped her off to have the tank boiled.

Attached Files:

2. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

3. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

damn, thats nice, its SCREAMIN for radius wheel wells and a straight axle.

4. You could put repo 55 Nomad wheelwells on it. They match the factory lip on the rockers, and you would have 'factory' radiused wheelwells!

5. NO! dont cut it...leave it as it is... :)

Nice score!

6. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Nice, now you can let me have the Rivi, right? :p

7. repoman

repoman

Yep, All Pontiac gasser. Just planning on puttin around with the original motor for the summer while I set her up with a cage, and collect parts.

8. Gracie

Gracie

I counted 2 owners... :D
    Don't fuck it up.

9. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I can just smell a 389 Tri Power and a 4 speed...mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

10. repoman

repoman

You're right, two owners. I didn't count the last one as he never registered or drove the car, just left it in his backyard and sanded it on occasion.

As far as fucking it up, some might say this car has fallen into the wrong hands :)

It's not a Dusenburg, it's just a Pontiac. It will be done right though, just my way.

11. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

any one can keep a car stock it take a real man to cut one up.

12. Gracie

Gracie

... and it takes a real dumbass to fuck one up.

13. oddrod46

oddrod46
    from Georgia

Great score just put your mark on it above all ,drive it!

14. graverobber63

graverobber63
    Alliance Vendor

I love you Gracie! [​IMG]

15. Gracie

Gracie

Well, hell, I'm sitting here reading of straight axles and cut fenders and whatnot and I'm thinking... find some beater to do that to... racers don't have to be pretty and straight... but its nice to see a pretty, streetable old car done up mildly...

But what the hell do I know... other than what I like...:rolleyes:

16. trey

trey

next thing you know, everyone will be telling you to restore it. just remember, its your car.

trey

17. Shiftee

Shiftee

Fuck it its just a car cut it up and make a badass gasser out of it.

18. Fifty5C-Gas

Fifty5C-Gas

Exactly.

19. Did that car come with no side trim? Or was it filled?

20. repoman

repoman

That's just my poor quality camera-phone! The holes are there. I have the trim. Probably the biggest PITA will be cleaning it, it has primer all over the stainless.

I was considering some 56 Poncho trim, I always liked it better.

21. leadsleadolds

leadsleadolds

They look better slamed, but alas its yours to screw up.

22. Nice Chieftain HT. I'd be inclined to go the gasser route with a two door sedan but I don't think I'd do it with a hardtop. That's just me tho.
    I have the perfect 389, 4 speed setup to go in it. If you had a stock set of 55-57 pedals, my '60 engine [now 0.030 over for 395.5 cu. in.] would bolt-in. I've been collecting all the right stuff for years. I was planning to use it in my 41 Pontiac coupe with a '71 firebird Muncie 4 speed tranny and Hurst shifter. I still putt around my 41 with the old, original flathead 6 popper and still gaze at the 389 sitting on the engine stand in the corner of my garage...
    Hell, I even have a 57 Pontiac rear axle setup with a 3.23 Posi third member. This literally bolts in 55-56 Pontiacs.
    Wish I had that body but I have way too many projects now...still, PM or e-mail me if you're thinking of selling it.
    ps........the photo of the 56 is one of my old ones I put together, using a 1960, 389 but I kept the old slant-pan hydro in it. It ran hard!.........Rocky

Attached Files:

23. Congrats on the find....55-56 Pontiac were a little too flashy, great body lines but too much crap on them....post pix of your progress

24. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

I'llk give my left nut to anyone who can come up with an old pic of a 55 Pontiac gasser....
    That thing does NOT need to be a gasser.

Slight custom yes...gasser hell no.

Nice score.

25. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

this one is in the jalopy journal site.

[​IMG]

26. Here are a few ideas

Attached Files:

27. epinut

epinut

Oops, I've always thought that -55 Pontiac was one of the cleanest lookin side trims of the 50's...

28. Hardtops were meant to be street machines and/or cruisers... even Kustoms... post models on the other hand, look good with the "gasser" treatment.

I think I'm gonna begin hating the term "gasser" as much as I do "Rat Rod"... and I own one now!

Sam.

29. Brandy

Brandy
    from Texas

I'll have to thank Rocky for your left nut!:D
    xxx
    Brandy

Attached Files:

30. toledobill

toledobill

Gassers were almost always the lightest body styles. The ones we all remember were coupes or two-door posts. Granted, one of my friends/mentors ran a '51 Desoto convertible at the 1959 Nationals with a small-block, but he had calculated the weight-to-cubic-inches so he could fit into the very top of a very low Gas class. It was a very craftily-chosen combination of weight and cubes.
    What I respectfully suggest is that NOBODY would have built a hardtop Poncho as a gasser back in the day. I will support your right to do whatever you want with the Poncho, and I agree that it takes a real man to cut one up, but after owning/building/maintaining around forty-plus project vehicles over as many years, I look back on at least ten percent as "WTF was I thinking?" Those four or five mistakes still embarrass me after decades have passed.

I'm afraid that a straight-mint-cherry bodied Pontiac hardtop gasser will fall into that ten percent for you somewhere around 2035.

A mellow, slammed, smoothed and decked-out '55 Chief, on the other hand, won't be outrageous, but it sure will be sweet. Your call, Sky Ranger, but consider all of the options and ramifications.

Aww, screw it -- go ahead and build your dream, just try to have some explanation for a car that could never ever win its class, let alone Gas Eliminator.