Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Kansas City Car Shows, late 50s & early 60s

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RGSDave, Aug 5, 2011.

1. RGSDave

RGSDave

I've been looking for a place to post these pictures, and was influenced by Justin Greene's Wild Childs post. These were all taken by my dad back in the day, and unfortunately, in the early 70s, I spilled Kool-Aid on a lot of these.

[​IMG]

Very rare color picture of 'The Lil Coffin' before it was crazy modified. This was probably at the 1959 Municipal Auditorium 'Garage Show.'

[​IMG]

This is actually Dave Stuckey's '58 Impala that was his driver. Dave Stuckey was the owner/builder of the little coffin, along with Darrell Starbird.

[​IMG]

Ray Farhner/Doug Thompson show truck. I believe this is when the truck was first completed. I saw this truck many times in many different forums.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

More to follow on next post . . .

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  2. RGSDave

RGSDave

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ed Roth's Outlaw. I have another one of him standing next to the car with about a 6 ft trophy that I had him autograph in '92, but I cannot find it.

[​IMG]

Challenger 1.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The last picture is of my dad with his Triumph show bike. He was responsible for taking all of the pictures above.

3. grim

grim

Can't wait to get into this... Thanks a million Dave. Present and subscribed.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2011
  4. Rocks Rod & Custom

Rocks Rod & Custom
    from Raytown MO

Thanks for posting, very cool!

5. RGSDave

RGSDave

I love this picture of the Lil Coffin, have since I was a little kid, and since I posted it, my wife edited the shit out of it and made it look much better. Unfortunately, the above pictures are about all I have of the 50s/60s, the Kool-Aid killed a bunch of them.

[​IMG]

6. RGSDave

RGSDave

Okay, she did this one too:

[​IMG]

7. grim

grim

These are amazing Dave.

(Did you try and scan the Kool-Aid ones anyway? I have a ton of bricks of melted photos from water damage - been going through and trying to see if they can be saved anyway. After they're scanned, even pictures we can't hardly see, we're finding Photoshop is bringing them back enough to get a view.)

Again - thanks a bunch man... Amazing share.

8. RGSDave

RGSDave

Unfortunately, I think the Kool-Aid pictures were thrown away after I trashed them. I've got a bunch from the 70s and 80s, but not sure if they really fit in here. By the way, I think I'm going to have the Widow Maker drag bike at the Greaserama Show. If I don't see you there, I will try to make it by the shop one of these days.

9. Cool! Thanks for the pics!

10. grim

grim

Same here on the 70s and 80s, apart from lowriders, I can't figure out what to do with those either. If you're going to bring the bike out, I'll definitely try and get over there; I'm glad you get it out. Love that bike.. Oh, speaking of, a Norton just showed up here waiting for the shop to be completed.

Hey, what's the story about that club at 4127 Spruce? Also, I forgot to ask - was your dad in the Modifiers?

[​IMG]

11. Aaron Kahan

Aaron Kahan

Dave,
    What a super cool bunch of photos. I love the way your photos have aged and show their battle scars. The pre 'lil Coffin photo and the photo of your dad rule! Thanks for posting these.

-Aaron

12. niceguyede

niceguyede
    from dallas

Very cool!! Thanks for sharing!

13. Rice n Beans Garage

Rice n Beans Garage

14. DoubleJ52

DoubleJ52
    from Belton, MO

Those are some great pics from Municipal Auditorium...thanks for sharing!

15. SKULL ORCHARD

SKULL ORCHARD
    from KS
    1. The Gas House Gang

history lives on , in the hearts @eyes of anyone interested in the past. very cool photos.

16. Wow, what a neat lode. Thanks for posting.
    Aaron Kahan, just got the little annual off the newstand here. Big punch for a lil' book!:)

17. sololobo

sololobo

Bitchin pix, I saw most of those rides shown, it was a very exciting time with Farhner and Starbird creating the hottest stuff of the day. And right here in the midwest to boot. Created a nice memory lane for me, Muchos Gracious, ~sololobo~

18. ratrodder34

ratrodder34
    from Irvine,ky.

Cool as @$#%........wish you had more.

19. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Great photos, thanks for sharing them! Too bad about the kool aid accident though...

20. Hotdoggin DaddyO

Hotdoggin DaddyO
    from Hays, Ks

Very cool, thank you for posting. I'm diggin' your Dad's Trumpet, any more pics of that?

21. autobilly

autobilly

Cool pics, thankyou.