Register now to get rid of these ads!

Camping at Bonneville? Read his.......

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by jimbob, Aug 5, 2011.

1. jimbob

jimbob

Just a warning to those panning on camping at the Bend in the Road, just noticed this on the LSR forum......

Here's the bad news, folks: Intrepid, the mining company across the interstate from the truck stop and near where we race - is now forbidden territory for camping. This development was announced by them about 3PM EST - Noon Pacific time today, 5 August 2011. It's a shock -- but maybe (note I say maybe) it's related to the lobbying Save the Salt and all of us racers have funded to force Intrepid to replenish the salt that disappears from the salt flats with their process.

The sign, I'm told, will read NO CAMPING -- $1500 fine for violators!

Intrepid owns the land INSIDE the bend, so evidently OUTSIDE of the bend -- the "north" side, with the road that leads up into the hills past a gravel pit, etc -- will be available to campers and all of us. I say evidently because I believe that BLM owns that land and they allow camping. Be careful to read any and all signs to make sure you're in the correct place.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news - but better to hear it now instead of when you arrive there. I'll keep you apprised of developments as they are introduced to me. Stay tuned.

2. rebelrat

rebelrat

WOW that sucks, hope that's not the end of "The Bend"

3. firingorder1

firingorder1

Go back and re-read it. Camping is not allowed on the gravel pad right at the bend but camping IS allowed at the bend

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In the past I think some of the guys with rv's set up camp on that pad but it used to be only a bit over a 100 ft triangle.
    [​IMG]
    Or have they enlarged it?

I think some people did take the road up over the hill and camp up there the last time I was down there.
    [​IMG]

5. Roger Walling

Roger Walling

Copied fron the LRS forum posted by Seldom seen sam

"<TABLE border=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=center>NO CAMPING INSIDE THE BEND IN THE ROAD!!!
    « on: Today at 05:50:12 PM »
    </TD><TD style="FONT-SIZE: smaller" height=20 vAlign=bottom align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <HR class=hrcolor SIZE=1 width="100%">I'm modifying what I said earlier -- because I've just been notified by BLM that camping at the bend is allowed after all. The BLM doesn't want, and has posted signs saying so -- no camping will be allowed on ONLY the gravel pad at the inside of the bend at the very corner. All other area is available and is BLM land, not Intrepid's as I earlier stated. It turns out that the information I got was incorrect.

6. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Ok, I can see that as when a couple of RV's set up on that it blocks rigs from pulling off and turning around there. It also makes the guys out in the triangle have to drive right through their "camps" to get to the triangle. You might get to see a big motorhome hung up on that drop off that pad into the triangle this year though.

7. To echo was Stan Back said on the LSR site, the race director will be on site tomorrow and we will know the true answer.

8. Copied from Lynda, keeper of the end of the road, off landracing.com

It is ONLY the gravel pad at the bend that you can't camp. There were too many close calls and accidents right there, so BLM said no more.

One of my security people is out there now and told me that it is only...only...only...the gravel pad at the bend, every place else around there is fine.

Lynda

9. firingorder1

firingorder1

Whew! The sky nearly fell. Whats next chicken little?

10. Well, since you asked..............waterpump and timing cover on my truck quit leaking. Now I am really confused! Beater Honda or Ranger with 200K on the ticker?:eek:

11. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

Must be a 3.0

12. firingorder1

firingorder1

Thats a good thing isn't it?

13. Yes, speak to me!?!??!?!?! What should I know?:eek:

14. Acme Speed Shop

Acme Speed Shop
    from so cal

Things tend to stop leaking when all of the liquid is gone!

15. I drove my Ranger (with a 2.9) to 365K when I sold it, still see it running around town. Drove that thing to the moon and back. ;)

[​IMG]

16. GARY?

GARY?

Darn thing must have fixed itself. See ya out there.

^That picture is awesome^

17. Yes, leaks stopped. I learned from Engenjoe and the RangerStation forum that these leaks are pretty damn common! I will watch the coolant level and motor on. Easier to carry stuff in the truck instead of the Honda, going to miss the extra 10-15mpg tho!

18. On my Ranger, when it quits leaking anything, something is about to fail.

just experience, J