Register now to get rid of these ads!

Ever seen this Hurst before?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Erkenbrand, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

I picked this up a couple of years ago. I was buying a Holley from this guy, and he had this in a cabinet. It's brand new, never been used, but he didn't have the box or cables. I even unpacked the cardboard from within the plastic console.

I've been trying to ID it on the Hurst site, but can't figure it out. I'd like to order in the cables and neutral safety, but I need to know which one it is.

Any help would be greatly appreciated . . .

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. sunsetdart

sunsetdart

It looks like thier Quarter stick shifter

3. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

The reverse lockout is cleared by pulling up on the handle, not with a trigger. More like the ProMatic, but the mechanism layout is different than the ProMatic. I've been through everything on the Hurst site, and have looked at so many shifters on the 'bay that I'm getting cross eyed. :)

1Nimrod likes this.
  4. squirrel

squirrel

how does it compare to my mysterious shifter? pretty close?

Attached Files:

1Nimrod and kidcampbell71 like this.

5. ScottV

ScottV

Looks like an AUTOSTICK 2, I had one in a O/T car years ago

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Yup, that's the same one. I'm missing that bottom bracket. Do you have any cables with yours?

1Nimrod likes this.
  7. squirrel

squirrel

heh...just what I have in the pic. Been wondering about it, your cover gave me a clue, so I did a bit of looking in old mags and google and found this

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  8. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

That's awesome. Now, I just need to find those decals, the bottom bracket, and cables. :) It's a perfect fit for the truck I'm building.

Thanks for the help!

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. squirrel

squirrel

You could probably use a later cable, and make your own bracket. My guess is that the plastic housing you have is the hardest to find part, you got lucky.

Now that I know more about Hurst automatic shifters, I sure wish I'd held onto that non-cable Autostick for a TH400 I had for a short time in 1993....I didn't know what it was.

1Nimrod likes this.
  10. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Ouch . . . that non cable Autostick looks like something special. I've stumbled across a couple of them.

I'm sure I can put together my own bracket, and with some futzing around I think I can get a cable from a Promatic to do the job.

1Nimrod likes this.
  11. Muttley

Muttley

Talk to Dennis Kirban, he may be able to help you out.

1Nimrod likes this.
  12. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Thanks! I've sent him a message to see if he can help.

1Nimrod likes this.
  13. propwash

propwash
    from Las Vegas

26 minutes from inquiry to valid answer....on a weekday, too.

what a place!!!!

dj

1Nimrod and lothiandon1940 like this.
  14. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

Found this in the catalog I've got.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Looks to me like one back in the late 60's that they called a mystery shifter.

16. Junior Stock

Junior Stock

I thought Mystery shifters were for manual transmissions.

Attached Files:

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. oldspert

oldspert
    from Texas

The Hurst Mystery shifter was for three speeds. I put one in my brothers 56 Chev in 1965. Had a round stick with Hurst stamped into it. Black three speed knob.

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. monsterflake

monsterflake

that was the original auto stick, they show up on ebay fairly often. the prices are all over the place, depending on how it's listed and how much is included. fortunately, they're mostly pulled as a unit. the shifter, mounting bracket and rod are pretty much all you need. the trans selector can be made out a stock piece.

(expect to pay $100-$300 on ebay)

((i have one of the auto stick IIs also, but no plastic base, just what squirrel has))

1Nimrod and kidcampbell71 like this.
  19. judd55

judd55
    from B.C.

Had that rig back in the day in a 64 GMC Panel, 327, T400...............Loved that stick and the action but didn't care for the cheezy plastic console, so just ran with out it. No pics of course didn't even own a camera. :D

1Nimrod likes this.
  20. Yes, the Mystery was the el-cheapo 3 speed manual round stick.

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Yup, 26 minutes from question to answer. This is one heck of a place. :)

Thanks for all the details. And for the user testing report! It's going into a '47 Chevy truck with a built 307 that I pulled from my old '72 Nova. Poor old car - fun motor, but so rotted that I just couldn't save it.

1Nimrod likes this.
  22. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

And I have to agree . . . the console is pretty cheezy. I have to keep it since I have it, but I don't have to use it. ;-)

1Nimrod likes this.
  23. Safe to say, Rochester N.Y. winters are a little rough on old cars? :D

1Nimrod likes this.
  24. Erkenbrand

Erkenbrand
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Rochester NY HAMBers

Yup, you could say that. When I started tearing the Nova apart, I pushed the windshield and back glass out of it. Without cutting them out. They came off with the rotted steel frame still attached. ;)

This Chevy truck is a similar project. Somebody did a hack job chopping it, but it's solid enough to be worth fixing the cab. Now, all the holes are fixed and I'm trying to clean up the chop. It's taking a lot of surgery to make it all look good. It's going to be a while before it's good enough for paint.

Of course I could always just pour a gallon of bondo on it. ;)

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. ScottV

ScottV

Just as an interesting side note, without the cover the base is VERY dangerous and will gash you and leave a scare after you crash running from the Police ... or at least that is what I have heard :eek:

26. Uncle bills 50

Uncle bills 50

Forgive me for digging up the dead but I have been researching the Hurst autostick II for a few weeks now and this seemed like the post to hijack! Not much info ANYWHERE on the web about it!

Long story short I got one off of ebay for something like 20 bucks with a cable and chevy brackets. Unfortunately I'm running a C4. I found an original plastic consel for $10 shipped "hopefully mine in 2 hrs" but it's missing the stickers.
    I'm hoping someone can help me with pics of the stickers because I found a sticker shop that will make them for me. On all the WWW I cant find a good pic of the stickers that they can use. As far as I can tell they are silverish, aluminum, chrome or something of that nature.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020