Register now to get rid of these ads!

please tell me what my car is ? have you ever seen one?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RicksRods, Aug 1, 2011.

1. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

Picked this up 2 days ago ,and yes its steel Not fiberglass kit car ,,, what do you think ? what does it look like to you ? and have you ever seen another one like it ? was told it was built by George Barris , I have no proof , after a good inspection I found It's all steel with exceptions of the roof it's a mixture of steel and fiberglass and may be a later add on , it has alot of lead in it and someone did a good job , Kinda 32 Plymouth looking , the frame is I belive a 32 ford frame , the body is Channeled over the frame and built onto the frame , 4 link rear setup with a GM rear , 4 link front with drop axel , car is very well done under side , under is painted gun metal grey and looks pro done , some more modern touches are 350 Chevy motor 350 turbo trans , corvette steering ((( tilt and tele ))) and disk brakes , I'm pretty sure it had a rumble seat thats been converted to a trunk lid now the top looks like it never had a headliner as I can still see the metal strips used to form the top , so this could have been built as a roadster , LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK , Please keep in Mind this has no heat/air no side windows and no wipers

Attached Files:

2. chaddilac

chaddilac

That's steel? Dang!!! Deuce grill and rear bumper, but that's all I recognize!

3. Fugly as hell, WTF?

4. 32-3 WINDOW

32-3 WINDOW
    from utah

thats wild , lots of work there plymouth front fenders ford axle , either more-drop or ockie adams , duece grill and bumper , man thats channeled , sectioned , and roadsterized , neat as hell

5. Dragon Wagons

Dragon Wagons
    from SLC, Utah

Front fenders look like a 1930 Buick

6. VoodooTwin

VoodooTwin
    from Noo Yawk

It's shaggadelic, baby!

7. PureC4

PureC4

I'd send the pic's to one of the car shows, like My Classic Car, or Barris or one of them out west and see if it is an old lost custom. They're being found little by little. Good luck

8. squirrel

squirrel

9. pumpman

pumpman

Strange, very strange. Thanks for sharing.

10. Front fenders do look like 30-31 Buick, rears also look similar to Buick. Headlight bar looks like a Buick.

11. Strange Agent

Strange Agent
    from Ponder, TX

Very interesting... I don't have any info on it, but I'm curious to see what is found out about it. Looks better than the other one-offs that have been posted lately.

12. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

That may have won someone a Popular Mechanics golden hammer back in the 50's. It was fairly popular in the early 50's for guys to take an old frame and mix of body parts and build their own "sports car" That looks like one of the better examples. Those van wheels need to head to the scrap yard though to get a bit of the investment back to pay for a set of steelies that will fit under the fenders.

Start thinking how a guy who couldn't afford a new sports car in 1952 would have gone about building the car (and doing a damned nice job of it ) when he couldn't afford the swag for a new Jag or MG.

I don't usually get caught up in the needs a period correct engine but that car does need a period correct engine that someone would have put in it in the early 50's unless it can be documented that it was built later.

13. farmergal

farmergal
    from somewhere

i think its pretty damn cool! great find! i'd contact barris with some photos and see if they can help you

14. squirrel

squirrel

put them on epay, 70s style vans are back in vogue....it's really hard to find big-n-littles in that style. Or keep the car as it is, a great example of hot rodding confusion from 30 years ago

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Pretty cool but the top needs something like a chop and more of a swoop going on back covering more of the trunk area to kind of mimic the lines of the rear fender.
    More of a sedan or vicky look I guess.

16. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

The thickness of the door top makes me think that it once had roll up windows. It's most likely a made up piece using parts from anything available. It was pretty common in the 50s when these parts were cheap and everywhere. If it was titled, it probably used the number on the frame. I'd be checking with your DMV before I sunk a lot of money in it. I'm sure there is a way but I'd want to know that path before I got too deep into it.

17. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

It kind of has more of a cool 70s Hotwheels vibe to it to me.
    [​IMG]

18. squirrel

squirrel

my guess is that it was built around the early 50s, and then "updated" about 30 years ago.

Austinrushing likes this.
  19. What do the title say ?

20. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Like 325w said "what does the title say"? and please don't tell us that there is no title. Or, how about the person you bought it from surely they can give you some history on it. How did you find it? There's got to be something here we aren't being told about. Need more input.:p

21. Django

Django
    from Chicago

That has potential to be completely bad ass.

22. Racrdad

Racrdad

That is wild, someone sure spent some time on it. I kinda like it myself.

23. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

it's titled as a 1932 Plymouth , heres the story I got when I bought it , was built in the 50's 56 or 58 I think I was told , was told but by george barris for a D list movie star, searched the name and found nothing on him , But you know Cali back in the 50's if you did a 3 second part in a film in a crowd you were a movie star , anyways then had a few more owners , then a guy bought it in Cali in 1969 brought it to Ohio in 1972 and then he passed away 14 years ago and his Son said he was going to restore it and keep it in memory of his father but after sitting for 14 years he never did anything with it and the guy I got it from was buddies with him offered to trade a 57 chevy for it and ended up with it , it had I think he said a 396 Big Block in it but it had a knock and smoked , he pulled it out and replaced it with a 350/350 and how you see it is how I bought it , I can NOT confirm anything I was told , I don't really care I'm just curious is all , I'm not sure what I'm doing with it yet or if I redo it what dirrection I will go with it ,,, ANY IDEAS ?

24. People who don't know ALWAYS claim Barris built it.

25. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

also I know for a fact it had a HEMI in it with 8 carbs I seen pictures of it , the 396 is long gone , so thats sad ,,, the car is in GREAT shape and could be redone with little work and little money , Someone said Viper Yellow with a blown 350 and craggers , some have said make it look more orignal , myself I'm not sure yet , But would look good as a roadster

26. Cool project. I'd find a somewhat more exotic engine that the SBC it looks to have in the pics, and ditto on ditching the '70s turbine-style wheels. The wheels will sell quick on that auction site, as they are making a comeback on vans and some pickups.

It's pretty close to the Red Baron Hot Wheels car pictured above - you could always go that route in a build!

27. RicksRods

RicksRods
    from Ohio

if I was talented enough I'd do the red barron Build in a heartbeat

28. Hell, when George doesn't know, HE claims he built it.

29. notrod13

notrod13
    from long beach

haha

30. bulletproof1

bulletproof1
    from tulsa okla

big motor with multi carbs,big tires out back skinnys out front ..cragers would look right with the right paint..i wouldnt go yellow...