Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-03-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
briggs&strattonChev

Default SBC cam specs? what do I need?

Howdy, i'm rebuilding the 3-fiddy in an 85 chevy shorty stepside, and i'd like to put in a cam as big as I can go, without having to change valve springs for something stronger. This isnt going to be any sort of "hot rod" motor, just a basically stock, 30 over 350, that i'd like to get some more power out of. The carb is a good rebuilt quadrajunk (before this, I didnt know it was possible for "good" and "quadrajet" to come in the same sentence lol).

Whaddya think?

Anyone have the specs of a cam that would fit this application?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Briggs
Old 07-03-2005, 04:31 AM   #2
Steve M
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: SBC cam specs? what do I need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by briggs&strattonChev
Howdy, i'm rebuilding the 3-fiddy in an 85 chevy shorty stepside, and i'd like to put in a cam as big as I can go, without having to change valve springs for something stronger. This isnt going to be any sort of "hot rod" motor, just a basically stock, 30 over 350, that i'd like to get some more power out of. The carb is a good rebuilt quadrajunk (before this, I didnt know it was possible for "good" and "quadrajet" to come in the same sentence lol).

Whaddya think?

Anyone have the specs of a cam that would fit this application?

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks, Briggs
The Comp XE256 should fit your needs.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2005, 07:11 AM   #3
Mutt
Old School HAMBer

I think it would be silly to put in "a cam as big as I can go, without having to change valve springs" in a basically stock 350 engine.

The cam should work with the rest of the motor, including the intake, exhaust, ignition, compression, and if it's an automatic, the converter.

Call the cam manufacturers, and give them the specs of your motor, and they will give you the best selection for your setup.

Mutt
Old 07-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #4
brandon
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve M
The Comp XE256 should fit your needs.
i was going to say a comp 268 high energy ......had one in my 48 chev ...and my 63 valiant......had a nice idle and would work with a stock converter......brandon
Old 07-03-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
draggin'GTO

Use the Summit 1102 cam (204/214@.050,.420..442" lift).

You really can't get away with running much more lift without wearing out a set of stock springs pretty quickly.

There ain't no shame in putting in a new stock Chevy cam either. Part # 968711 (195/202@.050,.390/.410" lift), the same cam came in 200, 270, 295 & 300 HP 350 engines. A fresh one (without the worn-out lobes that most of us have experienced driving old Chevy engines) runs damn fine and gets good economy, especially in a parts-runnin' half-ton.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #6
Derek
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt
Call the cam manufacturers, and give them the specs of your motor, and they will give you the best selection for your setup.
This is usually the best thing to do in my experience. Even the most experienced builders that I know will consult with the manufacturer before making a final decision on the cam. That'sa waht those tech line guyus are there for and that's what they do. Give 'em a try.
Old 07-03-2005, 01:14 PM   #7
SinisterCustom
Old School HAMBer

I threw a reground cam ($40) with 280 degree duration and .480 lift in a stock, high mileage junkyard 350 for a camaro years ago. Ran really good until I let my brother borrow the car and he limps home with a rod knocking.
Best advice though is what Mutt said above and call a few cam grinders for specs.

Josh
Old 07-03-2005, 01:53 PM   #8
choprods
Alliance Vendor

Location: Elmer,Mo.USA All the COOL... people on the HAMB have already been here,why haven't you?

I dodnt know shit about anything -BUT I do know what wokrs well when I drive it!
I use a stock cam [or clone grind] of a 1973 Camaro Z-28....it had a 350 cu in and 350 Horsepower motor....it is PERFECT for an auto trans car and aboput as much as will work with stock convertor and stuff.....