Register now to get rid of these ads!

Fitting a Model-A rear crossmember into a '32 frame

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by edwardlloyd, Jul 9, 2011.

1. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I thought I'd like to share my experiences fitting a Model-A rear crossmember into a '32 frame. Anyone who has tried this knows that the Model-A rear crossmember certainly isn't plug 'n' play and most just get welded in there. I wanted it to look like Ford had designed it that way and it had to be riveted in just like Henry did it, so here goes:

Firstly the Model-A rear crossmember is too wide so will need shortening to fit, but before you go and slice the ends off, give a little thought to bending the surplus metal at the ends over to form nice factory looking tabs to rivet it to the frame.

Next thing to consider is rotating the crossmember 180° so it actually spends the rest of it's life going backwards. This reverses the aging process of the last 80 years. (Na just kidding)
    The Model-A has a straight frame which raises over it's length to the rear. For this reason the Model-A rear crossmember has a slight angle built into it. The '32 frame however has a kickup at the rear and actually goes downhill again by the time the Model-A rear crossmember is mounted. Now you may be using a spring over axle layout like the Model-A or a spring behind axle layout like later cars so exactly where you end up mounting your crossmember depends on a number of factors. But I found that for a spring behind axle layout the crossmember fitted better flipped around.

Attached Files:

bct and cretin like this.
  2. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The Model-A rear crossmember is too shallow for the 32 rails and the top face of the Model-A rear will not sit parallel to the top of the rails. Many fill this space with a piece of metal and weld it in place. That does the job, and when the body is on no one will see it, but it's not Henry and doesn't look right in my eye. Nor does the Model-A crossmember look right there. It looks a bit too fragile so it needs a workout.

Here's how you do it: Cut the top free and bend it up keeping a nice curve to it. At the same time add some twist to the top to bring it parallel to the top rail.

Then add metal.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    panhead_pete and cretin like this.
  3. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Once it fits in place you can drill the holes and rivet the crossmember in place. The end result is a rear crossmember which looks like it was designed to be there.

Ed

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
    bct and cretin like this.
  4. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Worth the effort. A '32 frame with Model-A front and rear crossmembers.

Ed

Attached Files:

cretin likes this.

5. Mart

Mart

Nice tech. Edward.

Mart.

6. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Very nice, looks great!

7. The37Kid

The37Kid

Nicely done! I plan to use a Model T rear spring and a 26-27 rear crossmember, seeing your photos is a big help. I sent you a PM.

8. Rickybop

Rickybop
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

question...shouldn't flush rivets be used on top of the frame so the body will sit flush on the frame...like Henry did on the stock '32 front crossmember?

inquirin' minds...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  10. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Henry did, and I do flush ones on the K-member and front crossmember but as a Model-A body was going on this one it wasn't necessary.

Ed

11. 117harv

117harv

I have to ask, did you detail the inside of the crossmember where the filler pieces were added:D

Stellar work indeed, riveted in instead of welding is how it should be imo. I tend to always take the harder route too, I like the challenge, and the final result is that much more rewarding, it sure looks factory. This thread would have been a great entry for a tech week, again nice work and thanks for posting.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
  12. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

Yes inside and out, as I didn't want he Swiss inspectors spotting that the crossmember had been modified, or that it didn't belong there at all ;-)

13. kisam

kisam

Very impressive work!

14. Jay Yuskaitis

Jay Yuskaitis

Set up as "a favorite". Thanks, Jay Y.

15. falcongeorge

falcongeorge
    from BC

Slick indeed. Nice work, and useful as well.

16. Will Kimble

Will Kimble

Bitchin', nice work.

17. You Sir are a Craftsman, very nice.

18. mcbay

mcbay

Very Nice! ;) How did you do the front cross member?

19. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

That is one of the best A member installs I've ever seen !

20. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

The front needs a lot of modification too, but I didn't take many photos last time I did it. I'll be doing another in a week or two so I'll post it up then.

21. Great tech Ed !
    Thanks for sharing.
    Looking forward to the sequel.

your Canadian connection
    Jim

22. hightower611

hightower611

I will be waiting to see that one! Great work!

23. Ed, Only wished I had a tenth of your ability. Excellent craftsmanship. Can you tell me where you get the rivets and how they are installed to look like Henry did it himself?

24. Pewsplace

Pewsplace

I am 70 years old and have been fooling with hot rods most of my life. This is the best installation I have ever seen. Great work!

25. The Engineer

The Engineer

Ive just started this cross member install, following it to the letter, awesome work

26. fordf1trucknut

fordf1trucknut

Great work! It looks really good

I was originally going to modify my bolt in crossmember in a similar fashion but I have my spring over the axle instead of behind it so the shape would have been odd and put odd bends in the crossmember so I took the easy way out and welded a filler on top at an angle to bolt to the top flange.

27. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

28. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

See my other tech thread. I'm still building it but your questions will be answered there.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=610718

I have no particularly special abilities. I buy (or make) the right tools for a job, and I'm patient. That's all.

Ed ;-)

29. edwardlloyd

edwardlloyd
    from Germany

I'm doing another one next week, this time placing it a bit further back, to center the wheels in the wheel wells and using a '36 rear axle and 'bones, which do throw the rear crossmember quite a bit further back. Stay tuned to see what happens.

Ed

30. Noland

Noland

awesome, Im soon to be building a 32 frame I just need to buy the rails. I planned on using a model A rear crossmember and I really like the way you did it. wonderful work I may have to steal some ideas