Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 07-08-2011, 03:57 PM   #1
cmz69
FNG

Question Bonded title in tx

Without going off in a tangent. I was told by the dmv that the only way to transfer a title in tx is with a title or doing a bonded title. Don't have the title, ca title never transferred to tx and no longer on record in ca. I have letter of retention from ca stating such. Now to the questions,

what does a bonded title mean? How is it different from standard title, i.e. Will it change anything in regards to selling the vehicle? Is there anything that will tie me or my car to a title company, i.e. Lien? Any suggestions to other ways to get it titled? Any recommended companies near houston?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #2
Dreddybear
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Bonded title in tx

Bonded titles are fully negotiable, you can sell the car, etc... Loads of Texas hotrodders have bonded titles. Don't sweat it. It will turn into a regular title after a certain period of time...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #3
EnragedHawk

I actually need to get a bonded title as well. The way I understand it, the bonded titles means that you have no proof of ownership of the vehicle. Pretty much, if someone comes along with an original title, they can claim your vehicle. You only have the bonded title for 3 years, then you can exchange it for an office title. It's a lot of trouble though to get one, that's why I've been putting it off.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #4
EnragedHawk

Also, I believe if you sell the vehicle, it automatically becomes an actual title. That may only be if you sell it out of state though,
Old 07-08-2011, 04:04 PM   #5
Black Panther
Alliance Member

In CA where I live we dont have bonded titles but the way they work is if your state requires it for whatever reason that means you just pay a small extra fee (bond) and the title is "bonded" for a certain amount of time..like 5 years as an example. That period of time is to allow a reasonable time for any disputes to arise in case of a title question. IE..previous owner or lien holder etc....Dont know who gets paid what in the case of an actual dispute over title....but that is what the bond is for. After whatever period of time the bond is, you can get a regular title that is not bonded...maybe someone else can chime in with firsthand knowledge...its basically like title insurance on a home purchase..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #6
kkustomz
Grenade Inspector

it does not matter if you sell the car. It takes the 3 years to become un bonded here in texas, bonded is kinda like haveing insurance that pretects your cash investment while in a 3 year period the state checks to make sure its not stolen or any other business. Yes it hurts ur value to sell , but only for those three years. Other than that you can drive it and do anything you want, prices start at about 300 and up for a bonded title. I can get you a number to a top notch place in taylor,tx

http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm

Dont go threw dps for help, they will tell you know. Try and be nice and calm to your county tax office, I have had to do lots of work to get cars titled from time to time. Let me know if i can help
Old 07-08-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
Dchaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnragedHawk View Post
I actually need to get a bonded title as well. The way I understand it, the bonded titles means that you have no proof of ownership of the vehicle. Pretty much, if someone comes along with an original title, they can claim your vehicle. You only have the bonded title for 3 years, then you can exchange it for an office title. It's a lot of trouble though to get one, that's why I've been putting it off.
I had to get a bonded title on a triumph bobber I built a few years ago. Didnt have any trouble at all. Went to a place on division in Arlington, had the paper work in about 15 min , went to the DMV and was done in a matter of minutes there no questions asked.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:45 PM   #8
LSGUN
Alliance Member

I bought a car without a title and had to get a bonded one, it'll be a regular title this august. It takes 3yrs.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:07 PM   #9
EnragedHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dchaz View Post
I had to get a bonded title on a triumph bobber I built a few years ago. Didnt have any trouble at all. Went to a place on division in Arlington, had the paper work in about 15 min , went to the DMV and was done in a matter of minutes there no questions asked.
I may be in a different situation then, or everyone I've talked to so far is jerking me around. The paperwork I have says I need my truck appraised, get something called a weight certificate, then I have to go to the DMV to get a rejection letter, then go see the bonding agent, and then go back to the DMV to get the title.

This is one of those times that I would love to be wrong.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:10 PM   #10
Lobucrod
Alliance Member

I am afraid your right this time. Went through it 2 years ago on the '50 sedan delivery but I didnt have to do the weight certificate thing. Girl at the DMV asked my how much it weighed and it popped off 3400 lbs like I knew what I was talking about. She didnt bat an eye. Well actually she did wink at me.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:25 PM   #11
cjc
FNG

i was told that i need a bond, weight cert, chp vin verification, and dmv inspection to get registration on my metro. thats california for you. plus i paid a registration service that had authority to inspect and certify vins. got the wrong person that day at dmv i guess.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:30 PM   #12
niceguyede

Im gonna have to get a bonded for the 63 that me and my girl just got. We got the original title that the 1rst owner got when he paid it off in 68. I want to keep the title though, so Im willing to go through the hassle. Anybody else get hell trying to get one?
Old 07-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #13
bobkatrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmz69 View Post
Without going off in a tangent. I was told by the dmv that the only way to transfer a title in tx is with a title or doing a bonded title. Don't have the title, ca title never transferred to tx and no longer on record in ca. I have letter of retention from ca stating such. Now to the questions,

what does a bonded title mean? How is it different from standard title, i.e. Will it change anything in regards to selling the vehicle? Is there anything that will tie me or my car to a title company, i.e. Lien? Any suggestions to other ways to get it titled? Any recommended companies near houston?
It is cheaper and not hard at all to get a title hearing, did a 63 nova last year that had no title, need a sales receipt, ser numbers ,pictures of car and ser number plate, fill out all the paperwork pay a small fee , return paperwork to courthouse .the hearing consisted of myself and one lady, had a clear tx title in 3 weeks.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:59 PM   #14
belair
Old School HAMBer

X2 on lawrenece title folks. bobkat's way sounds good too, but what happens if you loose the hearing? And I would avoid the DMV at all costs. They usually don't know about stuff like this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kkustomz View Post
it does not matter if you sell the car. It takes the 3 years to become un bonded here in texas, bonded is kinda like haveing insurance that pretects your cash investment while in a 3 year period the state checks to make sure its not stolen or any other business. Yes it hurts ur value to sell , but only for those three years. Other than that you can drive it and do anything you want, prices start at about 300 and up for a bonded title. I can get you a number to a top notch place in taylor,tx

http://www.lawrenceautotitle.com/FAQ1.htm

Dont go threw dps for help, they will tell you know. Try and be nice and calm to your county tax office, I have had to do lots of work to get cars titled from time to time. Let me know if i can help
Old 07-08-2011, 10:29 PM   #15
Frank

what about if the vehicle is not running? The part that bothers me is the VIN verification if I have to have a trooper come to my house or if I have to haul it to one to get it verified.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:12 PM   #16
bobkatrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank View Post
what about if the vehicle is not running? The part that bothers me is the VIN verification if I have to have a trooper come to my house or if I have to haul it to one to get it verified.
Take a picture of the vin plate and pics of car, if the numbers are clean and it is legit, it is a simple process for title hearing, believe me on this, i was much surprised myself. and i used the main tax office in FT WORTH downtown .Three people have to sign the paperwork verifying what they know about the car. I used my wife and two friends .They only knew what i told them. As someone said BE NICE dont be an ass or have an attitude, they only work there , they dont make the rules.My friend has been doing Bonded titles for the last five years, he told me GOOD LUCK when i told him i was going for the title hearing. Guess what?? He couldn't believe me when i told him how much it cost and how easy it really was. Few weeks later he calls me and says son of a %#%$#@. you were right, i just got a title with the hearing, i have been spending a bunch of money for nothing doing title bonds.Now with all this being said, maybe the FORT Worth office is easier to deal with.Someone said what if you dont pass the hearing???Well then you right back where you started assuming the car is not on a HOT LIST.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:22 PM   #17
stillrunners
Alliance Member

key words....be nice....like - yes officer I know it doesn't look street legal....but it is....
Old 07-08-2011, 11:29 PM   #18
smarg

Quote:
Originally Posted by stillrunners View Post
key words....be nice....like - yes officer I know it doesn't look street legal....but it is....
Yeh and he would still give you a ticket for lookin' to cool.
Old 07-09-2011, 01:04 AM   #19
mattcrp1

I have been doing vehicle verifications for a few years now and it seems like recently some of the dmv people are saying bonds are required. To me it looks like a money grab i.e. it used take four pieces of paper to get title on an old car that had been out of the system fore a while, bill of sale, statement of fact, vehicle verification, and transfer into non-op, this would cost @ $55-60. and then you get a title in non-op while you build the project then pay the fee's and get plates and reg. Now it looks like they are getting fee's and making the owner pay up front. Just an observation , know a guy that went threw this recently for a vw not including the bond. just my nickles worth.

Matt
Old 07-09-2011, 01:24 AM   #20
BrandonB
Alliance Member

This pretty much tells you everything you need to know.
http://www.txdmv.gov/vehicles/titles/bonded.htm

According to the Texas DMV the bond has to be 1 1/2 times the worth of the vehicle.