Register now to get rid of these ads!

Official Model A & T Hinge Info Thread.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by fiftyv8, Jul 5, 2011.

1. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I've been playing with model T coupes and Model A pickups for a while now and always find I seem to end up with doors that have the finger style hinges which are not my favourite.
    They are prone to breaking easily and seem to mostly be well worn.

I am sure you know the ones I mean.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2014
    Flathead Dave likes this.
  2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Well, the later model T's cam eout with a different style hinge which is more to my liking but getting kinder hard to find easily, cheaply and in good condition and also do vary if you start geting them confuse with model A pickup hinges which look the same.
    I have posted this pic previously onanother thread, but thought this would be the place to have all hinge info together.

You will note from the pic's that the early model A is basically the same as the late model T hinges.

You can also find these kind of hinges on mel AA trucks.Interesting also to know that on some T coupes I've seen the top pillar hing can come with 3 holes and sometimes it atcually has a bent tail which also attaches from the edge of the windshield frame side.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  3. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

[COLOR="DarkRed"]To ensure there is no confusion with respect to the hinges I am talking about, here is a pic of the 1928/29 closed car hinges as well as open car hinges.

It is obvious that the closed car hinges are different, however some folks can get confused by the open car hinges, thinking they have found a stash of hinges that will fit their model T coupe.

They are the finger style but vertical dimensions are different
    T hinge is 1 5/16" high
    While open car hinge is 1 3/4" high.

The model T fingers need to fit inside the doorside cap on the hinge whereas the open model A car door side has no cap to comply with.

The other hint in ID'ing open car hinges that wont work is that usually on the door side the end of the hinge plate is cut at a slight angle and not square.
    [/COLOR]

Attached Files:

4. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

These are the style hinges I prefer to use and are generally found on late model T coupes and tudors from what I know and a slightly similar version is also found on 1928/29 model A pickups and AA trucks. (the pic below is not of the absolute correct item but until I post again these will have to suffice as example only)

Again these are getting hard to find in usable sets due to scarce supply, cost and condition.

Caution needs to be exercised if mixing the two types as the hinge pin diameters are different and the outer roll size of the body is also larger on the model T although it should fit.

I have had one pillar piece made to get me by and also made bigger diameter pins to fit as they were badly worn.
    I believe some folks have drilled out the bigger rolled T hinge plates (pillar side) and bushed them which should work OK.

Attached Files:

5. The37Kid

The37Kid

GREAT THREAD! Thanks for posting all this info, it will help a lot of guys with hinge problems.

6. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

In my search for after market hinges that I could use in my next model T coupe or model A pickup build, I have discovered that Westcott's can supply these hinges which is a blessing, however the price is a little scary.

I have since discovered a similar hinge available in Australia at a cheaper price and looks to be just as good.
    This would be helpful to our Australian and Kiwi friend and some locals may aslo see the value in the alternate choice.

These can be found by doing an ebay.com.au search online.

I guess the only negative with these repro hinges is the fact that you will need to drill your own holes.

This could be done by:
    1. making a template from an old hinge,

2. fitting and marking a hinge at a time onto existing mounted doors or

3. on a new fit attach all the hinges to the door, locate it and mark all the holes at once, this possibly would give you the best door alignment the vehicle has ever had!

Any way that is all I have for now on this topic, but if anybody else has some information please post it so it may serve as a reference point for future project builds.

Happy building...

Attached Files:

7. Had to subscribe here, dont want to loose this info for my own coupe in pieces. Thank you

Brad

8. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Would'nt you know it, as soon as I post this thread I find another repro hinge that would help open T models and it may work for closed cars I am not sure (if you are wanting to stay with the finger style hinge) as I have not ever had anything to do with 1926/27 T roadsters etc to be sure if roadster hings come near to coupe hinges.

Any way take a look, if they will work for you they can be found on ebay.com search under "model T hinge"

Attached Files:

9. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

I believe the hinges in the previous post above are available from Speedway motors.

10. HankAz

HankAz

Found a nice repo. set from www.ModelAHinges.com A little pricey but they are very nice, I wish I would have found them when I did my 29. Oh and the shipping was fast.

11. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

It would be nice to know if anybody has used these hinge products and what they think of them.
    Especially how the 28/29 model A pickup hinges fit into the 26/27 model T door pillar?

12. feel the pain....looking for 1930 Cabroliet hinges....it takes three per side....

13. mullskull

mullskull

it took me months to find original hinges for my 1930 Model A closed cab truck..
    the truck came with a mix of stock hinges and Cabriolet hinges...
    quite the pain the ass to get it all sorted out... but i found a bunch of them..now i have extras!

aren't all 30/31 closed cab hinges the same? roadster hinges are specific to roadsters and cabriolet's to cabriolets????

14. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

I know they won't be exactly the same but the later style hinge you like so much are the same as the 37-42 Willys hinges and Mike Nordahl sells brand new stainless ones but, pucker up, they ain't cheap. I'll try to post a pic of them if I ever find my camera.
    moving sucks

15. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Subscribed...in the hopes somebody posts info/pics of ideas or actual hidden hinges for these cars. If not I will submit mine when I get to that point.

16. Oldkrow

Oldkrow

i tried to email modelahiges.com for specs on their hinges, but they never replied to me. the nice thing is their hinges are already drilled to fit! but like i said, never got a reply back from them.

17. titus

titus

They dont offer hinges for 28/9 pick ups

Jason is on the hamb here, they are also an alliance member, heres a link to his profile

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/member.php?u=38619

I supplied him with the 28/9 closed car hinges for patterns for the new ones, also got him a set of 32 closed car hinges to copy also, and a set of 32-34 p/u hinges, he is a machinist and very picky, they looked at a few sets of hinges to make sure they were all the same and making them correct, they put out an awsome product, ive had them in hand, ive never used them up they are really nice.

I had nice sets of both style T hinges and 28/9 hinges but sold them before i figured out that Jason wanted to reproduce all the hings, dope!

Oldkrow likes this.
  18. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Just received a couple of pic's to add to the mystery of these hinges.

The 1st is a top pillar hinge piece from a 1926 model T coupe and I guess tudor would be the same.

The 2nd is a disassembled view of the finger hinge side that is attached to the door with cover removed.

Attached Files:

19. oj

oj

This is the great thing about the hamb, i don't know what inspired fiftyv8 to put this thread together and the subject matter but boy, do we ever appreciate it. Thank you.
    Are the hinges for 26-7 touring car/roadster different from the closed car?

20. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Thanks for the kind words, the nice thing is here everybody can make a contribution one way or another which helps hot rodding for the future as well as helping folks just starting new projects.

Hinges in these years have always been an issue that needed more clarity.

Yes, open car doors of the same years are different and any info from folks with a little knowledge in that area would be well received I am sure.

21. truckedup 28

truckedup 28

has anyone used the model a hinges from speedwy? thanks jones

22. alchemy

alchemy

I know a little about 26/7 open hinges. They share the same pin end as the Model A roadsters, but the mounting end is different. Not a big deal to modify if A's are all you can find though. And the front door hinges are different than the back door hinges.

23. 117harv

117harv

I have some pics to add as soon as i take them.

On a side note, and not to thread jack, could we maybe add door latches to this also?I have all kinds of different ones from early to late T's , coupes, touring, as well as A's. They seem to vary as much as the hinges.

24. Rehpotsirhcj

Rehpotsirhcj
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Northwest HAMBers

I'll second the motion for latches...I'd like to see the differences.

25. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

If you guys want to add latches that is sure fine by me.
    Once you add some I'll adjust the thread name to reflect this addition, helps folks searching to find it.

26. oj

oj

Thanks Alchemy, how about the depth? the lower hinge is deeper/taller/sticksoutfurther than the upper hinge, is the 'a' hinge the same - if i get a model 'a' open car hinge, lower it will be workable? I am getting ready to weld a section to the hinge i have (i have 3 uppers and one lower sets for the doors) but i'd have to weld thru the existing holes and them machine adjustable slots that would have to pass thru the welds and that just don't set right with me.

I'd like to see a door latch set thread too, but lets make it seperate. I have proposed a seperate section for informative tech threads as this. I'll ask ryan to see if there is a technical problem and them we can do a poll or something to prove interest, lets see what happens.

27. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

28. alchemy

alchemy

I don't know the lengths of the A hinges compared to the T, but the basic up/down dimension is the same (I was told this by a reliable source).

On the 26 T, the roadster/touring front hinges are short on top and long on the lowers. The touring rears look the same but the lowers are short too, so don't mix them up with the front doors.

To replace my missing front lower hinge I had to take a rear touring hinge and add a bit of steel to the length, then drill my new mounting holes. Worked just fine, but I had a proper hinge from the other side to get my measurements from.

As for latches, I welcome any info you guys can give. I haven't completed my latches yet, and must have at least five different kinds of 26/27 open car latches. Some are square on top, some have a point on top, some have a full socket for the side curtain, some have a partial hole for the side curtain. Ugh. I've seen repro open car latches for sale, but never the strikers. Anybody confirm which ones to use where, and where to find some strikers?

Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  29. So is it A roadster hinges I need for my 26 T roadster, or any A hinge will work? Any affordable aftermarket 26-27 roadster hinges? They don't have to be a perfect match for stock, it's a hot rod not a resto.

30. oj

oj

Mmm, strikers. Another good thread there. I need strikers for my 't'. I did get a good set of latches. I must have a touring car rear door lower hinge, like Alchemy i need to add metal.
    Is there a standard in the hinges, where if i am working on the 'a' piller hinge upper and lower, do they align with each other? can i bolt them up to the body and pass a solid alignment rod thru the upper hinge and align the lower hinge to the upper?
    I spoke with Ryan, he has polled about seperate sections but everybody wants these threads to remain on the main board.
    Anybody have a source for 26-7 't' roadster/touring car strikers?