Register now to get rid of these ads!

Old Boston Strangler Dragster in maine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SWAMPDONKEY, Jul 5, 2011.

1. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

ok so a old timer told me a story a few weeks ago about . a old dragster in mid-coast maine . so i gave it a while and i called the number today . of the guy that new about it . so this guy was a nice guy . but not a drag guy he was a circle track dude ... so i asked him if he had a old dragster at his salvage yard . and he said no . but he knows who dose . and the first thing he said was "you don't have enough money for it" I asked him what it was he said " it a dragster that you set on the rear end and the motor is in front of you . it used to run a sbc . the name was the Boston Strangler . " he said it was a well known dragster in the 60's ... so i know of the funny car boston strangler but thats it . so im looking for some info or pics of this car ..... i am going to work on this guy to see if he will take me to it so i can snap some pics . i have called a few friends that may know about it so . i will forward the info to here . thank you guys

2. masracingtd1167

masracingtd1167
    from ct

I remember that car very well .They ran c/d with a small block Chevy and a Lenco 4 speed . Not realy a famous car so don't pay a lot for it.

3. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

thats cool .. lol you know how people up here are . everything is famous lol..

4. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

Swamp

the strangler guys ran 2 or 3 dragsters-set the nationl c/dragster record with small block lenco 4 speed.that was the last dragster then keith hughes and arnie karp went racing with bob ellison & rick mcgarvey with the boston strangler alcohol f/c-the dragster they ran may have gone and raced indy/columbus but no further -i would not think this should be a high dollar car todd

5. Jmountainjr

Jmountainjr
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I also remember the dragster before the name made big on the funny car. While it may be interesting more so due to what the name went on to be, and it is local, but I'd agree that it's not a big dollar car. It would be cool to get without paying way more than you should.

6. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

guys

spoke with arnie last night -he ran a haulin chassis chute pack body c-dragster first(not a strangler)2nd car was a logghe c-dragster (former lil patriot of smiley smullen)was the first boston strangler-3rd car was a tropiano c-dragster w/4 speed lenco(former late train 2 engine t/g car of ron chrisian) the engine was in the front position which gave more room for the full length lenco. todd

7. 58fed

58fed
    BANNED

It sure would be cool to have it back in the public eye, or at the orange airport reunion. I agree it is not a big money car at all, just some cool local history. Although the name was better known on the funny car, it did belong to the dragster first. Just be cool to have it around.

8. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

thanks for the info i will def keep up on this . I talked to a friend today that knows of the guy i called . and he thinks he can set up a meeting for me to take a pic or to and get a story .. theres a big race this weekend at winterport dragway so i will try to get some more info this weekend . i will try to keep you all up to date . thanks a bunch

9. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] There were two versions of the Boston Strangler C/D as Todd Berube stated. The first was a Logghe chassis car. That is me holding up a copy of Drag News...This is about 1974...I was fourteen. The car was originally a Comp Roadster with a T body and a Cammer motor.

10. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is the Little Patriot in 1969. Later this car would become the first version of the Boston Strangler.

11. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Here is the second version of the Strangler. This car was very successfull, holding the C/Dragster record. This car was originally a twin engine car and run as the Late Train. Keith Hughes told me after they sold the car, it was destroyed in a staging lane accident.

12. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Late Train 1969.

13. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

awesome church .. great info .. i will talked to you this weekend .

14. 1320er

1320er
    from Boston

The twin engine car IS the former "The Boston Strangler" C/D. However, the car up in Maine was NOT one of the Strangler cars. If I'm not mistaken, the car in Maine was Arnie Karp's first dragster. He(I) bought the car from Bob Tagalari from Revere, MA. He ran it as a Jr. Fueler with a big block Chevy. He told me it was one of Phil Miller's top fuel cars built my Morris Bresnahan. (haulin" chassis from Haverhill, MA) I ran the car as a C/D 1970-73. I ran it a year with the original chute pack body, then built a shorty body. I sold it to Fred Payne from Maine. (get it? Payne from Maine.) If anyone knows where the car is, PLEASE...WHERE

(Todd, please post a picture)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  15. 1320er

1320er
    from Boston

That's true. Believe it or not, the Late Train/Boston Strangler car was wrecked between the burnout box and the starting line. by Sam Murry's premature burnout. You have to wait your turn Sam!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  16. This story now takes many twists and turns. Hang on everyone.

17. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

awesome . im stilll waiting to hear back from a guy about it .

18. 1320er

1320er
    from Boston

Thanks. Let me know what you find out

19. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Todd Berube sent these photos to me today...I let him add the coments

20. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] This air brush picture was on the nose piece of Boston Strangler 2

21. 1320er

1320er
    from Boston

Steve Benson art work. Had to put a plastic bag over it at malls or shows!

22. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

that is awesome . i love the bag story

23. Church Key

Church Key

[​IMG] Need a conformation...I think this is Arnie Karps dragster.

24. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

25. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH

26. retro rodder

retro rodder
    from cape cod

this is real cool

27. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

hi Todd i have tried 3 times to get in contact with the guy that knows were it is . and no response. if you send me a email i can give you a number that may get us there . seeing though you know more about the digger then i do . . i think this guy thinks im just a kid that wants to hack up a dragster lol. my email is [email protected] i think you have my aol one . let me know thank you

28. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

keep up the good work. there are many out there.

29. SWAMPDONKEY

SWAMPDONKEY

ok so ratrod39 on here is the son of the person that owns the car and he said that as soon as there shop is done its going in .

30. TODD BERUBE

TODD BERUBE
    from NASHUA NH