Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

View Poll Results: As it is right now, what do you think this hunk of junk it worth?
$0 - $500 21 12.00%
$500 - $1000 21 12.00%
$1000 - $1500 25 14.29%
$1500 - $2000 34 19.43%
$2000 - $2500 23 13.14%
$2500 - $3000 16 9.14%
$3000 + 35 20.00%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-27-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
EnragedHawk

Default My first build; 1955 First Series Panel Truck.

Check out post #117 for my epiphany.

1955 First Series Chevy Panel Truck

I have been working on this truck for a few years now, but the sites that I have been using so far either provide me very little feedback or the feedback I get is useless because I know more than everyone else on that particular site. Truth be told, I don't know jack. This is my first build; I've never done anything this extreme. I have made a million mistakes already and have a few million more to make.

The reason I am posting here is because I want ideas, suggestions, and even warnings. I'm posting what I have done so far and I'll keep posting on this thread as I keep working on the truck.

I'll post pictures in order if at all possible. Other pictures are at http://www.cardomain.com/ride/314556...nel-van/page-3

Feel free to ask questions and throw advice at me!

The day I "found" it. Paid $500.

I knew I wanted it bagged but I had very little money to spend. So, I decided to use an S10 frame.

I laid the frame out as far as it would go. I didn't use drop spindles.

Then I tore the truck to hell:

Last edited by EnragedHawk; 03-31-2012 at 01:48 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:02 PM   #2
Strangers29
Grenade Inspector

Default Re: My first build. Looking for advice. 1955 Chevy Panel Truck with S10 Frame- Bagged

Awsome build dude, i got word on where a nice chevy panel truck is sitting. Had been rebuilt 20 years ago and has sat since then. Seeing your build here kind of makes me want one now!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:05 PM   #3
EnragedHawk

Default Re: My first build. Looking for advice. 1955 Chevy Panel Truck with S10 Frame- Bagged

Then the frame swap from hell:

Got the truck on top of the frame and lined everything up before making mounts:

I eventually got an engine out of an 86 Chevy (turned out it was worthless), but it let me cut up the floor and firewall and put a new one in:

I cut out the flooring that was no good anymore. Here's what I had left:

And the start of a new floor:

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 06-27-2011, 03:06 PM   #4
EnragedHawk

Thanks man! It's been a lot of fun so far. Wish me luck, I'm gonna need it!
Old 06-27-2011, 03:09 PM   #5
EnragedHawk

Almost finished firewall:

I didn't want a super pretty firewall. I plan on this being my daily driver, and I'm sure the engine will get pulled at least 20 more times before I'm happy with it, so I decided to go with a Gator Guard II coat.

Old 06-27-2011, 03:14 PM   #6
Dynaflash_8
Old School HAMBer

looks good to me. What are you using to weld the frame?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:17 PM   #7
EnragedHawk

The engine out of the 86 had bad crank bearings and want worth the rebuild. I got an 89 TBI 350 from a friend of mine for $300. Came with computer, harness, all accessories, fuel tank, and fuel pump. He's a good friend.

I got the swap done in about 4 hours. That's old engine out, disconnect the tranny, attaching tranny to new engine, and back in the truck. I was pretty happy with that time considering I still don't really know what I'm doing.

The gas tank I got was way too big, so I had to chop it up a little. Thanks to the H.A.M.B. I was able to get some advice on how to take care of that.

Yes I know my welding sucks. They may not be pretty, but they'll hold. I'm working on making it pretty now.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:21 PM   #8
EnragedHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynaflash_8 View Post
looks good to me. What are you using to weld the frame?
Thanks! I'm using a Lincoln Electric 175 HD 240V Mig. I was told when I bought the truck that the one tool I could not cheap out on was a welder.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #9
OneFineComet

So far so good! doing something like this is how you build up your experience and it makes it that much more fun.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #10
lucky ink
Grenade Inspector

looks great ..you gonna leave the patina ??
Old 06-27-2011, 03:28 PM   #11
shadams

Did I ever tell you how much I hate you? Ok, not really, dont even know you, but that is a serious score for $500. I got butt raped on my Chevy when I bought it!! Anyway, looking good already, how is the rust situation? Doesnt look like there is anything serious from the pics of the truck with the nose off. Nice how those Sierra wheels fit the original bolt pattern, at first I was thinking, uhh, that isnt an s-10 frame dude.

Cant think of anything off the top of my head, I am building mine this moment as well so will be watching.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:29 PM   #12
EnragedHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneFineComet View Post
So far so good! doing something like this is how you build up your experience and it makes it that much more fun.
Thanks man, and you said it! I knew next to nothing about the mechanical side of automotive when I bought the truck 3 years go; I've only been doing electronics. Experience as been a brutal but effective teacher.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 PM   #13
EnragedHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky ink View Post
looks great ..you gonna leave the patina ??

Thanks! I love the way the truck looks right now and I don't plan to change it any time soon. I do plan to paint it eventually, but I have a few other things to worry about first, like... actually having it running.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:36 PM   #14
EnragedHawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadams View Post
Did I ever tell you how much I hate you? Ok, not really, dont even know you, but that is a serious score for $500. I got butt raped on my Chevy when I bought it!! Anyway, looking good already, how is the rust situation? Doesnt look like there is anything serious from the pics of the truck with the nose off. Nice how those Sierra wheels fit the original bolt pattern, at first I was thinking, uhh, that isnt an s-10 frame dude.

Cant think of anything off the top of my head, I am building mine this moment as well so will be watching.

Haha, I was pretty happy with my 500 bones find too. The rust was actually a lot worse than it looked at first glance. That's why I had to replace the whole floor pan, it was worthless. Even some of the body mounts were shot. The original front and rear suspension were boned too, that's why I decided to go with the s10 frame (and it was cheap).

I liked the way the Sierra wheels looked at first until I realized the truck couldn't roll with them on... They were rubbing against the steering on the original frame. So I sold them off and got s10 wheels for the "new" frame.

How much did you pay for your truck? (if you don't mind me asking) I'll have to take a look at your build here in a bit.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:43 PM   #15
EnragedHawk

Ok, here I ran into a problem with the new engine. The position on the power steering pump majorly interfered with the lines coming from the steering box.

Thanks again to the H.A.M.B. some friends that work at O'Reilly's, and a lot of research, I found a smaller pulley that worked perfect. If anyone else needs to know, it's for a 91 Grand Prix 3.1 engine.

That's all I have for right now. I may not get to work on the truck again for a few weeks, but I'll post pictures when I get more done. Fuel tank mounts are almost done and I just finished running fuel lines last week. Hoping to fire up that engine soon!

I have a few videos I'd like to post too, they're on youtube- Can I link them here?
Old 06-27-2011, 03:45 PM   #16
Big Nick
Alliance Member

Im diggin it
Old 06-27-2011, 03:52 PM   #17
cederholm

I like it! Keep us posted as you procede.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:13 PM   #18
EnragedHawk

I hope this link works, it should be a video of my truck. Let me know if it doesn't work.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
EnragedHawk

Just a quick walk around.

Old 06-27-2011, 04:21 PM   #20
EnragedHawk

I would highly recommend muting this video. It's me playing the guitar because YouTube wanted to advertise on my video because I used their music. Anyway, this is something I put together a while back, it's pretty much what I've already posted on this thread, just a few more pictures and a little more video.