Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Gratiot Auto Supplys "Li'l Billy", a.k.a. "The Bear" The REAL Story!

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Harms Way, Jun 21, 2011.

1. Harms Way

Harms Way

[​IMG]
    Bob Tamplan is a real unassuming guy, very pleasant and quiet, But if you needed to know anything about engines, Bob is the guy you would call,... Bob and his Dad ran a place in Metro Detroit back in the 50's called "Tool House Balancing". They Built and campaigned a Rail and a Model A Roadster back in the day.

In 1957 Bob went to Cordova Ill. to attend the 1957 "World Series of Drag Racing" While there he was smitten by the "Speed Sport Special", and was determined to built a similar car. Following is exactly what Bob told me,...

"In late 57' I was able to purchase a 27 "T" Roadster body. Over the winter of 1957-58' I collected most of my chassis parts and started building my Roadster. After completing the chassis and mounting the body, A friend told me of a former Indy driver / Body man, (More on him later :D) He constructed the Aluminum nose, top deck, Trunk lid & Belly pan.

While the Aluminum work was being done, I got the 392 fuel Hemi ready.
    ( Yeah,.. it first had a Hemi !) When I got the car back, after the Aluminum work was complete, I disassembled, cleaned and painted the chassis and body. Total time to complete took almost 3 years.

Bob Tamplan."

The car was later sold to Angelo a few years after it was completed. Prompting the sale was Bob's finance seeing him get "good and sideways!" at the drag strip,... Angelo repainted it,.. ( To the best look it had IMHO)replaced the Hemi with a Nailhead.

There has been a lot of discussion on whether Angelo actually built this car or not. It was reported in many magazines back in the day that he did,... He was responsible for the best look this car ever had and the Buick engine, as well as a few other improvements.

I have known Angelo for many years, And I have great respect for him, His personal accomplishments and huge contributions to Hot Rodding is something that could fill several books. I don't think he intended on pulling the wool over anyones eyes,... But sometimes Magazines get some details a little off,.. and I think this is what happened in this case. Angelo is, in my opinion, a very honest man.

But the fact remains,... that the vision, fab skills and the ground up build belong to a really great, quiet guy, that is a total "wizard" with anything automotive,... Bob Tamplin

Below are some pictures, never before seen, of the construction of the car Bob called "The Bear",... and more famously known as "Li'l Billy"

Enjoy !

First,... This is the picture of "The Speed Sport Special" In 1957 when Bob Decided He had to build a similar car for himself.
    [​IMG]

Here is the first pictures of the chassis rolled out into the daylight
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.
  2. Harms Way

Harms Way

With the body mocked up,...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  3. Harms Way

Harms Way

The "NEW" 392 Hemi ( with Cadillac mounts)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.
  4. Harms Way

Harms Way

And a couple more including one of the Aluminum work,....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
    1Nimrod likes this.

5. Harms Way

Harms Way

Here is the list of features,...

* 1927 "T" roadster body

* Rectangular mild steel tube frame (made by original owner)

*1940 Ford rear axle with Halibrand Quick Change, spot brakes & Wheels, Racemaster Slicks

*4" Dropped Model A axle with 40' Ford spindles, Speed Sport wire wheels 7 aluminum front friction shocks

*Engine, a new 58 Chrysler 392 Hemi. hard chrome crank, forged tru pistons, Herbert 280 Roller Cam, Harmon& Collins front drive mag, Schafer aluminum flywheel & Pressure plate, Double Disc Clutch Assembly with Velvetuch Discs. Rotating assembly completely balanced.
    six carb aluminum log manifold with Stromberg 97's set up for 98% Nitro! Heads ported & polished and custom headers (made by original owner).

1Nimrod likes this.
  6. Excellent early pictures and story brother......I hope you have more?.....thanks!

7. much thanks for the info and photos, been waiting since my first "Lil Billy" post in 2008.

Will we get the "rest of the story" ?

Curt R

8. Harms Way

Harms Way

Well,.... lets see how this thread goes,.... There might be a few more,..:cool:

1Nimrod likes this.
  9. TxRat

TxRat

this is awesome!!!!

10. More! More! More! More! More!

Fantastic photos, love this roadster. Thanks for posting!

11. DocWatson

DocWatson
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

WOW! Yeah this thread is good! Thank you,those two roadsters have always been right up there for me as the coolest cars.
    WOW.

Doc.

12. brandon

brandon

Post up more.....lil billy version is one of my all time favorites.....the build shots are very interesting ......very simple in a lot of ways....

13. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

tap, tap, tap...patiently waiting...

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  14. Harms Way

Harms Way

Sorry boys,.... I'm holding back for a little while :cool::D:D:D

1Nimrod likes this.
  15. Lee_ATx

Lee_ATx
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for sharing! One of my favorite car of all time. Would love to see more!

16. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

There used to be some Tamplins that had a cabin on Sage Lake in Hale.....relations? Hmmmmm.

1Nimrod likes this.
  17. Harms Way

Harms Way

I don't think it would be possible to get MORE related ! :D

1Nimrod likes this.
  18. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

If I remember correctly they were from the Detroit suburbs. Always had the second fastest sailboat ( my ol man always won the Hobie races!). Makes ne wonder.

1Nimrod likes this.
  19. cvstl

cvstl
    from StL MO
    1. H.A.M.B. Chapel

Great stuff!!! Thanks

20. Harms Way

Harms Way

1Nimrod likes this.
  21. Haha someone should contact PaulyG and show him this thread so he can eat some humble pie.

Oh & we want more pics!!!!!!

22. seatex

seatex

WOW! That first pic is just awesome! MORE! MORE!!!:eek:

23. Fenders

Fenders

Great thread, better than a blog on the Jalopy Journal.

24. Harms Way

Harms Way

I believe that PaulyG is related to Angelo,... And like I said before, I would bet it started with a bad bit of reporting, followed by a cover story. once again, In my opinion, Angelo is a very honest and truthful guy. I can't believe this was intentional.

1Nimrod likes this.
  25. Harms Way

Harms Way

This is the picture of it when it was printed on Gratiot Auto Supply's business cards,...Still with the Speed Sport wire wheels on it.

[​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  26. Harms Way

Harms Way

And a little peek under the deck lid,.......
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  27. Ron Mayes

Ron Mayes

28. Harms Way

Harms Way

Actually,... The very first picture is the "Speed Sport Special" The car that gave Bob the motivation to built this car,... They have been confused a lot over the years.
    [​IMG]

1Nimrod likes this.
  29. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Harm's, those pictures move me bro. Seeing the car out in the yard, the fenderless coupe in the background, the shots of the garage, jeez it could be ANYTHING and it just taps deep into my memories of how it was. It was a big deal for some just to have a camera let alone be able to track and archive what you were doing. I was litterally raised in the same environment. There's no words for it and I know you understand. That car is beyond special. What great piece of local history.

FWIW, the gang that mentored me was Jocko McNeal (Dad), Dick Mitchell, Johnny Rieburger, Tony Altobell (uncle), and a cast of dozens who's names I can't always recall until I hear them again. Your pics and story smacked me right in the face and I thank you very much for that.

Jocko

1Nimrod likes this.
  30. MrGasser

MrGasser
    from DETROIT

Wow! Great stuff Dennis!

1Nimrod likes this.