Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 06-20-2011, 07:23 AM   #1
Ryan
Administrator

Default Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer

This article is going to touch a nerve with some, so I am consciously watching my words as I type them. I don't want to spit out something that's too terribly toxic and over dramatic, but I do want to express my feelings accurately and without filter...

To read the rest of this blog entry from The Jalopy Journal, click here.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 07:38 AM   #2
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: Fear & Loathing The Classic Car Dealer

We witnessed this very type of ordeal last week, I rode to Kansas City with our art director Dick Warsocki (xderelict) to view 4 pick ups, all were suffering from problems that don't show in pictures. One lot that had two of the four was a hopped up used M.C. and classic cars lot, the good old boy biker dude in his doo rag is giving us a grand off as we walk on the lot. And the rest of the b.s. flowed, we thanked them and left as Dick was moaning about a 25-27 Chevy roadster body made into a pure rat rod. We then went to see another with a couple small rust holes to find a nice curb appeal ride loaded with rust and bad mechanical treatments, the guy stayed on the porch as he sensed our disapproval of his misleading retoric. The fourth guy who knew we were driving from Omaha and would be home by 4:30 called us back from a missed call and told Dick he would show it after 8:00p.m. if we wanted to wait. And fate is, something better has come along. Dick will be reporting that soon. Well he reported it on todays posts 54 find. He and his wife Tess, go to see this 54 up by Sioux City, Ia. meet the nice owner a 75 year young gent who has been the care taker of this dandy for a lot of its 56k miles. He has lovingly done a nice interior restored the exterior, put on tons of new brite work and just loved the car in general. Dick and Tess take it for a ride and know this is the real deal. They go back pay the gentleman his asking price and drive the sweetie pie home. Does it get any better than that! I am going over to see it right now. ~sololobo~

Last edited by sololobo; 06-20-2011 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Chaz
Old School HAMBer

Everyone who buys and re-sells used equipment be it cars ,guns, homes or toys is in the crosshairs from both buyer and seller. Its a tough job.
Everyone thinks that their crap is cool stuff, and everyone else's cool stuff is crap.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #4
Jeff Norwell
Art Editor

Everyone in this hobby has had it happen..... its a ritual, your personnel "baptism of fire" sort of speak. Just plain getting bent over.
G-r-e-e-d.
Buy an apple for a nickel and sell it for a dollar.... and sometimes, that apple is rotten to the core.

http://www.jeffnorwell.com
http://drawnandquarrtered.blogspot.com
Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM   #5
tub in da dirt

how does the saying go
"when both guys can walk away from a deal feeling like they ripped each other off...its a good deal"
i would rather have you not buy it then think i screwed you out of it
but i am not a car dealer
and i do this for fun not money
tk

P.s. My duke is my hero...Gonzo for ever my friend..Gonzo

follow me on instagram fabricator2
online   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 08:03 AM   #6
glenn33

Great editorial, Thanks Ryan...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:04 AM   #7
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Its a tough job.
I'm sure it is. But what's the grand purpose of the job? History tells us that nothing survives if it only takes. Everything has to give back at least a little bit. What does a dealer give back?

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 06-20-2011, 08:10 AM   #8
Mayor of G-Vegas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm sure it is. But what's the grand purpose of the job? History tells us that nothing survives if it only takes. Everything has to give back at least a little bit. What does a dealer give back?

Life Lessons , Bad Experiances and Cheesy Key chains.... lol
Old 06-20-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

Way of the world - caveat emptor....
Old 06-20-2011, 08:15 AM   #10
Larry T
Old School HAMBer

Kinda brings up the question of "love of money vs. love of old cars". I never really liked the idea of buying something, just to flip it.
Nothing wrong with making a buck but when you spin/shade the truth/flat out lie to maximize profit, it ain't right.
Larry T
Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
D-Day
Alliance Member

Nice writing...gonna pass this one on to a few people I know.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
Chaz
Old School HAMBer

The purpose of the job is simply to link a buyer and a seller through a purchase and re-sell. The dealer takes a chance that he can make a living buying low and selling high.
In a perfect deal both the seller and the buyer will feel they were treated fairly. Its hard to please people when dealing in USED merchandise.(hell, its hard to please them when selling NEW stuff.)
Using your example, the dealer may not have known the brakes were bad either. He may have felt he did both himself and the buyer a favor by taking care of the unsightly body dings.
I'm not denying that crooks abound. But the term dealer should not be a dirty word. It can also be just another guy trying to take care of his wife and kids.

In your example both the buyer and the seller should have researched and learned what they needed to know before getting involved in the deal. Yes, an education is expensive.

Last edited by Chaz; 06-20-2011 at 08:26 AM.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:21 AM   #13
RatRoy
Grenade Inspector

Good article Ryan, I understand and agree with your description of a "bad deal". Unfortunately it doesn't have to be a classic car dealer to have this situation to play out. You can find yourself in the same spot on Craig's list or simply the local hot rod paper "for sale" section. Advise, "Buyers Beware".
Old 06-20-2011, 08:22 AM   #14
40FORDPU

The so called "professional dealers" are in business to make money. Some of these people have a true passion for the old car hobby. Some simply realized an opportunity, and expanded on it. What they can "bring to the party" so to speak is more exposure to our hobby. Some of them have a very nice budget to work with, so they can have the nice show rooms, great assortment of vehicles, position themselves in a highly visable location. With their marketing skills, and the exposure to the general public, may in some cases influence a wanna be rodder into an actual one..even if they don't buy the over inflated priced Classic Car Dealers car, but maybe the one you are trying to sell instead.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:24 AM   #15
Hot Rods Ta Hell

Great Ed Ryan!
Quote:
As you hinted at, the Dealer is selling a "locating service". To him, it's along the lines of a financial advisor who keeps an individual's stock portfolio in check. Sure, any 'investor' could get edumacated and do the leg work himself...
"Scott" and other folks of his walk get hosed because they don't educate themselves enough and simply purchase an old car on enthusiasm and rush into a purchase. A few walks through the local cruise night and they decide that "this is for me-I need to find an old car to participate here". They need to be patient and do the hard work to beat the "Teddie" type flip dealers to the good cars fist hand.
"Scott" could be from any walk of life; a 20 year old with some hard earned cash savings. The middle aged Scott as you described. Or a newly retired dude that's "ready for his new hobby".
What scares me more than Teddie, are the "two week restoration shops". We see Chop Cut Rebuild and Desert Valley on TV. I'm sure they do a somewhat decent job but there's something about a two week restoration based on bottom dollar profit that doesn't sit right with me.
How many hundreds of bondo artist two week restoration shops are in the country pulling down the hobby?
Old 06-20-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
BrokeDick
Grenade Inspector

You forgot the Bluetooth welded to the ear in the picture...
Old 06-20-2011, 08:28 AM   #17
40fordtudor

Quote:
Nothing. The same as the auction people, imo. They succeed strictly on the backs of others labors. Hate 'em.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:29 AM   #18
Harrison
Old School HAMBer

I'd rather live in a country where a man is free to make his living how he sees fit than somewhere where someone else determines which professions are "acceptable".

I say "Good for Teddie". He is making a living doing what he (probably) loves. Martha accepted his offer & Scott bought without thoroughly inspecting the car.

Well-written rant Ryan, but I'm not buying it.

JH
Old 06-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #19
2manyseats
FNG

I seldom post though have lurked for years - couldn't agree more with Ryan's post. The story shouldn't end there - the guy that has lost his wife and became so disheartened puts a for sale sign on the car ....... and the cycle begins all over again!

Look at any popular old car 30s Fords or Tri-Chevies and their popularity make them a lifestyle choice - as was said entry for someone with limited knowledge who wants a hobby or to be in that scene without being a lifelong car guy.

Dealers do however have a place at the top end of the market where a provenance is part of the value. I worked many years ago for a couple of Dealers - Vintage Rolls Royces, D Type Jags and classic racing cars. In a world where history is all, it was safer for a buyer to pay a premium to these knowledgeable and reputable (for car dealer) guys.

When you're paying way over a million bucks for a car it's good to know it really is what it claims to be and sometimes its worth paying extra to make sure that it is.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM   #20
RAY With
Old School HAMBer

I had sold a couple of classic cars to a local Classic dealer and came close to blows to get the money. I finally got full payment and within a few weeks the FBI raded the place and closed it down. It was found out over a million dollars had been milked out of state and out of country buyers and a paper trail a mile long of illegal transactions. I have no use for them at all and 99% of my purchases have been individuals that I look at and see the car and make my own deal. I have never seen any classic dealer that puts any thing back into the system other than take a turd car and polish it up and shine the wheels then the lies began! If I get screwed on a car deal it will be by my own hand and not any one else.