Register now to get rid of these ads!

Purchased: 1967 AMT Piranha - Need parts

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Carguy1965, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

After years of thinking about it, I finally bought a basket case 1967 AMT Piranha from a guy in Ft. Wayne, IN. The car needs a lot of work and parts but I think it will be worth the effort.

First of all, the car was built by Gene Winfield, twice. The chassis was originally used for the TV "Man from UNCLE" car and belonged to Marbon Chemical.

After the show was cancelled, Marbon wanted the car back. Winfield wanted the car for the show circuit so he arranged to strip all the spy stuff off the car and rebuild it on another chassis. This car was then rebuilt into a stock, street Piranha and sent back to Marbon Chemical in Michigan.

The rebuilt UNCLE car went on the show circuit and was eventually sold, lost, found and restored by Robert Short in California.

The car shown here eventually ended up in private hands and later disassembled.

The gentleman I got the car from obtained it from Michael Kollins, an auto historian in the Detroit area. He had planned on mounting the car on a Lotus Europa chassis and cut away some of the fiberglass tub/chassis to make it fit. The chassis is now useless and will need replacing.

If anyone knows of ANY Piranha or Marbon CRV parts out there, please let me know! Thanks!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 22, 2011
  2. F&J

F&J

Thanks for the history lesson. I don't recall the car in the TV show, so I wouldn't have known the Winfield part. I like seeing the work from the famous custom guys. That's pretty wild.

3. I have the model of both cars. bought them both new. Love the Man From Uncle car.
    Good luck with your project.
    I don't know if you know Mark Moriarity or not but he's restored a lot of show cars from the 60's. the Dream Rod, some of Roth's cars. Built his own Roth inspired bubble top. He might be a good source. He's a HAMBer

4. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Here is a photo of the "Man from UNCLE" car. That is Gene Winfield kneeling but the car, and actor Robert Vaughn driving. Note the enlongated rear deck.

Attached Files:

5. What the hell!??!! I live in Ft Wayne and I've never even heard any rumors of anybody in this area having a car like this. :eek: Though I can think of a couple people who might have.

Do you know how many of them were built? I'd be surprised to hear that there were more than one or two. The Piranha doesn't look anywhere near being a 40+ year old design. A nice find that should be well worth your time and effort. :D

6. ClearSpot

ClearSpot
    from Michigan

7. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

that's amazingly cool. i'd love to have that car... if you don't mind me asking; what did you have to pay for it?

Clearspot: i couldn't help but notice your 67 Cougar avatar.... my grandmom had a white one with a black top that my granddad bought new in 67. she sold it to my dad for $2,000 and sent my 21yo butt to florida to drive it back to Grand Prairie, Tx. it was perfect. my dad's wife kept nagging him to get rid of it and he sold it to some dudes who just inquired one day. pissed me right off!

8. aircap

aircap

I remember the Pirahna dragster kit - but not the coupe on Man From UNCLE.

9. Deuces

Deuces

That's a very cool site!!! Thanks for posting it!!! :D:):D

10. agtw31

agtw31

looks like a Lotus Europa to me

11. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Marbon Chemical had 5 or 6 built by Centaur Engineering, one of their divisions. AMT built 5 or 6, including the Dragster and UNCLE cars.

The first photo below is the Marbon CRV - 1. Metal tube chassis with Sunbean Alpine engine.

The second photo is the first coupe made called the CRV-IV. Note the Porsche rear grilles in the deck lid.

The third shot is the first production 1967 AMT Piranha. Instead of sliding side windows, it had small, hinged little doors in the side glass. Also note the "Gurney Bubbles" in the door tops for more head room.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  12. wvenfield

wvenfield

Wow, and here I thought you bought one of the model kits. Pretty cool.

13. Deuces

Deuces

So, what's the story on the actor Robert Vaughn??? Is he still alive and kickin'??? It be great to see him and the U.N.C.L.E. car together again....

14. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Looks like youll need to build a frame ,Look into chevette suspension parts ,Fiero is the same

15. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Total awesome...don't remember the car in the show. BUT THERE IS ALOT OF THINGS I DON'T REMEMBER FROM BACK THEN.
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

16. jimmitchell70

jimmitchell70
    from CT

Deuces - Robert Vaughn is still kicking and lives about 25 minutes from me in CT.
    I agree w/ the post #10.

17. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

As a huge man from uncle fan(second favourite ever show, just behind the original Star Trek series) and a huge Winfield fan I am insanely jealous. Are you going to restore it to the Winfield version?
    Paul

18. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

I have a very cool poster from 1966 showing the car racing against Darrell Drokes Mustang. Not sure how to post. Can I E Mail it to someone to post ??

19. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Yes, my initial thoughts are to restore the car to the second version which was painted a light metallic green with black seats. The car still retains the original lower front valance from the UNCLE car. The holes for the two flame thowers have been covered and patched.

20. dragsta

dragsta
    BANNED

kripfink: i found a perfect "man from uncle" t-shirt at the goodwill store one fine year. i was wearing it while playing rough with my pitbull doggie. that was the end of that shirt.... but i never knew what "U.N.C.L.E" stood for until i found that shirt. "United Network Command for Law and Enforcement"

21. Was offered that car a couple years back but passed on it...dumb. Good score. Here's photos from the show...

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2011
  22. Is that corvair powered?

Cool find, i was a big Man from Uncle fan.

Illiya is alive and kicking on NCIS every Tuesday night.

Sounds like you need to get with Mr. Winfield on all the particulars.

23. 6t5frlane

6t5frlane
    from New York

Carguy Pic of poster sent

24. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Thanks 6t5frlane.

Attached Files:

25. scrubba

scrubba

Such a shame that such a rare car or one of the few Pirhanas that did make it out of A M T's Phoenix plant to be cut on like too many other so called "Ole Cars ....... " scrubba

26. frank spittle

frank spittle

This is the dragster in '66 with Walt Stevens driving. Don Garlits owns it now.

Attached Files:

27. The37Kid

The37Kid

Robert Vaughn has lived here since the mid 1980's, has a early 1960's Lincoln convertible he drives around once in a while. If I see him I'll ask him about the "Man Fron Uncle" car. :)

28. Find Frank Zucchi he races one in San Francisco Region of SCCA

Poverty leaves an impression

29. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

UNCLE fan and collector Robert Short located and beautifly restored the rebuilt "Man from UNCLE" car. The car resides in southern California.

Attached Files:

Critical Mass likes this.
  30. Carguy1965

Carguy1965
    from Illinois

Here is a shot of the restored Piranha dragster in Don Garlit's museum in Florida.

Attached Files: