Register now to get rid of these ads!

Chuck Porter's Platypus Bonneville Racer

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. Rolleiflex

Rolleiflex

That's a beautiful restoration! I'd love to hear it at full speed singing through those exhaust pipes.

3. Very cool. I was going through some old magazines last night (a several night a week ritual) and was looking at construction shots of this car.

4. Great Car! I saw it last August at the NHRA museum, superb resto, love that ARDUN. Those little polished Aluminium scoops on the engine tonneau are awesome.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Mnhotrodbuilder

Mnhotrodbuilder
    from Afton, MN

WOW that is sexy. Thanks for the pics

6. koth

koth

Thanks for sharing the pics of this car. The one thing I always get out of these shots is the quality of the fit and finish is as nice where you can't see it as where you can. This one is nice:)

7. right on!!! that is a bad ass roadster

8. In many cases that is just "over restoration". When you look at original shots of these cars some were a bit more rough.

9. flamingokid

flamingokid

Spectacular shots..

10. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

When that car was current , it was my idea of what a modified roadster should look like. Love it.

11. sololobo

sololobo

Hmm, wedge go fast! ~sololobo~

12. Theo Douglas

Theo Douglas

Very nice. I would definitely drive that to high school.

Speaking of Chuck Porter--and apologizing in advance for hijacking this post--what's the latest on the restoration of his super-bitchen F-1 truck?

Again, sorry for the hijack.

Speed Gems likes this.
  13. Dave Rondou

Dave Rondou

Saw it at the NHRA museum, and the GNRS. Couldn't get enough of it.

14. Live from the Palo Alto Concours D'Elegance:

1a.jpg

1b.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg
    images from HEMI32's iPhone

Last edited: Sep 9, 2014
  15. customcory

customcory

I remember when this car was in Hemmings for sale with the trailer, and the price was right then. That was back in the 1980's, I think. I always liked the old Hot Rod articles on his stuff. Neat car.:D

16. Great Pics Todd.

17. bushwacker 57

bushwacker 57

The RUDDY - WEINSTEN roadster was at pleasanton swap in the 1980s for 20k at the time CLEM TEBOW was check it out because he had built the motor it was all orig and it should have stayed that way.

18. yellow dog

yellow dog
    from san diego

Really glad this car survived. I knew that it had been restored (maybe over-restored as someone put it) but really beautiful. I have a fond memory of sitting in the car in 1957. The team (also drag racing a unique Chrysler Bantam) went in different directions I think 1959. I think Tom sold the Ardun converted to gas for $500. The chassis gathered dust and storage dollars until it was traded for some home sandblasting work. I was amazed to see it back alive a few years ago.

19. Cyclone Kevin

Cyclone Kevin
    Alliance Vendor

It's great to see "E. Rick Man's" photo-coverage of this historically significant Hot Rod. It seems that he was close to "Cookie" as he's the only guy that you see from the early days that did documenting of Cook's
    Cook's - Cyclone really didn't seek ink or advertise in publications, he always had tons of work, but didn't go for the glitz-glamour.
    Seeing this Quickie in this T-Ster to me speaks volumes as its like the Neikamp 27-29 roadsters and Bert Letners T-Ster that really stand out.
    We're lucky to be able to have had and continue to be a part of Hot Rodding.
    I can tell you that's it no picnic to make these QC's as well a working a shop as did Cook,but the desire to make something that has this connection to the birth of hot rodding I feel is a true honor and privilege.
    Thanks guys for always supporting us.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  20. Speed Gems

Speed Gems

hr-1955-03.jpg

loudbang likes this.