Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Bay Area Geezers - anyone know these Model A's?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Weasel, Jun 3, 2011.

1. Weasel

Weasel

I shot these photos around 1979/1980 at the NSRA Western Nats - maybe in Merced but more likely in San Jose - and these two Model A's have remained in my mind - perfect stance and just timeless - a bit resto rod for some I am sure - but this pair does it for me and are engraved in my memory. They may even be a matching pair owned by the same guy. Anyone know anything about them and maybe where they are now?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

seeing A's like that makes you wonder why a person would want to take the fenders off.

3. Weasel

Weasel

Indeed - if ever I were to do another model A, these would be my role models.

4. Rich Wright

Rich Wright

I don't recognize any of them but the roadster in your first picture looks a lot like something Larry Braga would build. .....except for the wires....

They all look pretty neat...:)

5. 2 guys names come to mind that build them with that stance. Danny Brent in California, and Dan McLanders in the Vancouver, BC area. I mention Dan because a lot of the A's he built ended up in California. Pat.

6. Weasel

Weasel

Bump - anyone else remember these?

7. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

nice,don't remember them.don't think I'll forget

8. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I bet HEMI32 knows them, he is the official HAMB Bay Area Vintage Hot Rod Authority.

9. Weasel

Weasel

Yes I was hoping Todd might chime in with some insight....

10. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

If one was to save a piece of early "Street Rodding" history you would have to chose that 28-29 roadster with the Buick wires on it. F#$kin a, totally bitchin! Im not a "Street Rodder" but it brings me back to when I was a kid running around those shows. If I was going to have a "Street Rod" I would definatly have to go with an early one just to have a piece of my childhood.

11. Weasel

Weasel

I've gotta believe I am a closet resto rodder as much as I love these two....;)

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

The topless car looks a lot like Jack Conellys car but I don't remember the wheels. Here is the nose of Jacks roadster pushing my roadster

Attached Files:

13. 61TBird

61TBird

Where in San Jose where they held?
    That doesn't look like the Fairgrounds on Tully Rd....

Other than that, all I can add is, I'd drive the snot out of this one!
    Too "Street Rodder/Resto Rodder"? Too bad!
    That is one cool A then or now!! :cool:

14. fiveohnick2932

fiveohnick2932
    from Napa, Ca.

Kind of looks like one of the buildings at the solano county fairgrounds in vallejo. They had Andy's picnics their in the 80s. I dont know when they started or stopped having them there but I went to a bunch of them! When I went to those shows I spent most of the time looking at everything below door handles :) good times!!

15. JROTTEN

JROTTEN

the black 28 roadster belongs to chuck hoffman, it was built in the mid 70's by fat jack robinson as was the 32 tudor in the picture it belonged to dick rundell, both long time freinds. the picture was taken at merced in 79 or 80.

16. ANDEREGG TRIBUTE

ANDEREGG TRIBUTE
    from Bordertown

Fairly confident in saying not Merced, none of the buildings look familiar to me...and ya, those A's are bitchin' gotta admit this stuff is way better than the ultra molded stuff rollin on 20's now-a-days...IMHO

17. Cut55

Cut55
    from WA

Skylarks make any car look great. If I barn-found this car just like this I wouldn't change a thing.

18. That black roadster is absolutely perfect.

19. Weasel

Weasel

I took the photos and I was at Merced in '79 and the Santa Clara Fairgrounds in 1980. I'm tending to think this may have been in Merced. Definitely not the Solano County Fairgrounds in Vallejo as I have never been there. I'll look through my albums and see if I can pinpoint the venue.

20. Rackball

Rackball
    from cincinnati

i'd give my middle nut for that first roadster! :eek:

21. Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
  22. Weasel

Weasel

Thanks JROTTEN and Hemi32 for the info - the linked threads provide a wealth of detail. The stance is killer and living proof that a full fendered resto rod can be wicked bad....

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  23. Amen brother, amen!