Register now to get rid of these ads!

SORTA TECH.... how to get straight body lines

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by low springs, May 21, 2011.

1. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

so you have a long panel and the lines need to be straight.... this is how i do it.

first i get out a long straight edge. line it up where the body line is. (this varies due to body lines.) draw a line with a pen or pencil. that's your guide. lay out your tape line. using the pen mark as your guide. lay down the tape a lil further that the start of the line. pull the tape with a bit of tension on so it stretches but does not pull off at the other end. pull the tape the entire panel and eye ball it to your pen marks and lay it down. this will be done several times to make sure it straight. stand back and look at it from different angles.

block sand your panel to the edge of the tape. lay another tape line on the edge of the other tape line. pull the old tape off. block sand the next panel up to the tape line. try to avoid cutting into the tape, ruining your line.

pull the tape line off and check your line. this might have to be done several times. once you have it where it's really close. go over the edge cause it will be sharp with 220 or 400 depends at what stage of the block sanding your at. you do this as your doing your mud work as well.

pics are not in order but it gives you an idea of what's going on. i didn't plan on making a tech just decided to take pics of the process.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Gearhead Graphics

Gearhead Graphics
    from Denver Co

Very cool trick. Will be using that for sure

3. b-body-bob

b-body-bob

Coming here's like going to a vo-tech where all the teachers are grads of hard knock U. Thanks for the info.

4. low springs

low springs
    from Long Beach

hope the tech works out for you guys.

5. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

6. That is a VERY GOOD tip! Thanks

7. Caddy-O

Caddy-O

used the tape method on a problem area on my truck a couple of weeks ago and it did the trick....

8. The37Kid

The37Kid

THANKS! Got to prep an early GTO last year, it was pure hell. Making the switch from Pre WWII cars to late model is not an easy task with all those flat panels.

9. AHotRod

AHotRod

Very insightful and helpful, Thank You!

10. Dane

Dane
    from Soquel, CA

it does, good stuff thanks.

11. Great tip, and here's another , have ya tried the 3M dry guide coat? It's a black powder , doesn't clog the paper, and covers he entire panel. Btw thanks for using all the 3M...it's how I make my living...thank you