Register now to get rid of these ads!

fuel, vacuum fittings for a 94

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by forsakenfew, Jun 15, 2005.

1. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

i'm having a hell of a time finding fuel line fittings for my 94s. even specialty "fittings" stores don't carry em. who does??

also, is there a vacuum port on these? could it be the hole on the back side that is angle towards the passenger side? all mine are plugged. gotta find a vacuum source for my distributer, and don't wanna tap the intake if i can avoid it.

2. the hole facing the passenger side is for your vacuum advance.

it should use typical pipe thread fittings on your carb...I know I can get them from any True Value Harware or Ace hardware store.

Maybe Home Depot.

3. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

those are vacuum ports on the venturi. No need screwing up your intake, unless the distributor calls for manifold vacuum not venturi. How'z about telling us what kinda engine, how many and stuff like that. Places like speedway, vintage speed, and the HAMB's very own nothwest speed (suedesled(sp?)) carry fuel fittings. for either a rubber line or a threaded steel line.

Drew

4. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

ok, more info...

'60 pontiac 389 motor, offy intake, 3 94s.

the fuel fittings have an inverted flair at the end, not a pipe thread. having trouble finding ones that are long enough to seat on that flair.

5. Mike Paul

Mike Paul
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

6. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

In 1948 Ford went to the Lodamatic dizzy which used venturi vacuum; these versions continued thru the Y Block into some 57's (272's). This was obtained from that rear fitting. Plugging is OK to do when using with other dizzies and engines requiring ported (manifold) vacuum.

If the power valves have been plugged the carbs will never run correctly; it takes a vacuum gauge and a Unisyn (or similar) to set up multi carbs.

7. Automotive Stud

Automotive Stud

If you are using hose nipples for the fuel inlets I think you will need an adapter and the nipple. If you are hard lining it, get a "ford nut", ask a good parts man at napa. They were in stock in the weatherhead fitting cabinet in my local napa. They screw right into the carb with no adapter and are a compression fitting for 1/4" line.

8. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

so are you saying that i WILL need to run vacuum off my intake so everything works properly? or am i ok pulling vacuum off one of the carbs?

its set up with progressive linkage, so would i pull vacuum out of the middle carb?

9. Gasserfreak

Gasserfreak
    from Yuma, AZ

Thats a very good question. With multi-carbs, I'd always take a mechanical dizzy, just for ease of setup. Multi-carbs change the vacuum inside the intake, hence inside the venturi's also, and wreak havoc on the setup of a vacuum advance dizzy. At least thats my experiance with flatheads and stock dizzy's. I can't see why it would be any different on an old poncho, but I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time. Maybe some one with a little more knowledge of them will chime in with their experiences. As for pulling off just the middle carb, I would think that as soon as you open it up, the readings would screw up your ignition curve. Where did the distributor originally draw it's vacuum from, the carb or the manifold?

Drew

10. YOU NEED MANIFOLD VACCUUM!!!!!!!!!!! Read the C9 post in the ToM called "Got Time?"

All early GMs used manifold vacc, this is a huge old wives tale area in hot rodding.

11. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

i used to run a edelbrock 600cfm on the motor, when it was still in the pontiac. i actually switched between the 2 vacuum ports up front on it, and it didn't make any difference in how the car ran. (i did this after reading c9's article.)

12. 286merc

286merc
    from Pelham, NH

NO, venturi vacuum was used only on Fords with that carb, its reverse of manifold vacuum. If you dont have a vacuum port on the Offy you can either drill one there or in the center carb base below the throttle plates.

If that 389 has a hot cam you will probably have a weak vacuum signal, Id do a vacuum check first to establish a baseline. I used to race a 64 GTO with factory trips and it took a lot of playing to get it really hauling.

13. forsakenfew

forsakenfew
    from seattle

ok, guess i'm drilling a hole! damn. as for the cam, it's all stock right now. this winter the motor will get pulled apart for a full HOT rebuild.

thanks for the info

14. Paul2748

Paul2748

94's (at least my 8BA's and ECG) have a straight thread for the fuel inlet (not pipe thread). The original fittings had an compression type fitting. I got fittings for hard line from Hot Rod Josh (he's kind of hard to contact). He could probably supply push on hose fittings also.