Register now to get rid of these ads!

New York Hot Rod and Custom Show 1965

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Jive-Bomber, May 12, 2011.

1. Jive-Bomber

Jive-Bomber

2. BeatnikPirate

BeatnikPirate
    from Media, Pa.

An interesting little trip down memory lane. Thanks for posting.
    I dig those hairstyles too.

3. So I guess this answers the question: Why 64 or before?

4. Labold

Labold

...at least you get two cigarette lighters.

5. SuperFleye

SuperFleye
    Alliance Vendor

Awesome video!!

6. hugh m

hugh m
    from ct.

A customer hired me to bring his antique car collection to that show a few years after that, maybe 1970 or so...Remember Don Imus was there...My friend had to pull his motor apart to retrieve all the pennies the bozos from NYC threw down his Altered's injector scoop...still was a fun few days.

7. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well, no it doesn't. I'd bet nearly 2/3 of the membership here would dearly love to have Casper's Ghost. And yeah, who in their right mind would want to own or build a dragster like that "Mortician"? Clown cars aside, some of the best looking kustoms and mild kustoms were done right in that time period. That was the pinnacle of Roth's time too. Maybe his stuff isn't HAMB material?

I hope you and everyone else sees the sarcsm where appropriate, but I couldn't possibly disagree more with the "64" comment.

8. Standard32

Standard32
    from LA

Does anyone that was at the New York Coliseum shows in the 60s remember seeing a red chopped and channeled 32 5w coupe with short doors?... Or has anyone seen pictures of one there?

9. Bigcheese327

Bigcheese327

Be it race cars or show cars, the further one gets away from streetability, the less interested I become.

-Dave

10. kkoacolonel

kkoacolonel
    from Union,NJ

I remember going in the early 70s.Bob Hope had a golf cart there.Saw the "Truly Rare" 50 Buick,plus a shitload of wacky show cars.

11. The37Kid

The37Kid

Those shows were really special to a 12 year old kid in 1963 who had a Dad who took him into NYC to see them. Still have my program and remember seeing Roths "Outlaw" and Bill Cushenbery's "El Matador" as clearly in my mind as if I saw them yesterday.

Attached Files:

12. ChassisResearchKid

ChassisResearchKid
    from Michigan

Last year Me and a buddy rode our motorcycles down to Auburn Indiana and went to check out the Carl Casper display of hot rods and movie/show cars. I pretty much just wanted to see some of his interior work. That dude could stitch. Anyway, here is the link. http://www.kacmuseum.org/exhibits/carlcasper/caspersghost