Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Ed Newton/Dan Woods C-cab

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Tom davison, May 11, 2011.

1. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

I was just talking to Ed Newton and he told me about a C-cab "T" he designed in the late sixties. There was a mold of the body taken and several cars built with bodies from it. The mold has re-surfaced and he said that someone created a thread on here, but I can't find it. Ed is not a member so he asked me to post the photos and tell what he knows about its origins. Here is a copy of his note:

Tom--
    I recently got an Email from a guy who now owns the molds for a custom glass "Fad T" C-cab that I created for Dan Woods.
    He wanted to discuss the origin of the molds and sounded interested in possible future production of some bodies using his molds.
    He didn't seem to really know the history of what he has, and that may have gotten him into "trouble" with H.A.M.B. members when posting his claim.
    I believe he thought he had molds for the Milk Truck, when he actually had the molds for my design of Woods' "HiRoller" done about 40 years ago.

Strangely enough, I still have my original design rendering of the car.

I have no idea how many bodies were popped and how many of the finished "T-C" Rods were built in the last four decades,
    but all of the builds that I've seen had the "opposed coil" front end that I'd created for Dan (and which he subsequently made famous).

Since this concerns your involvement with the H.A.M.B., I thought I'd ask you if you wanted to pass this info along (if you think it may be of any interest to them).

Attached~ Upper Left image is what I consider the best finished car that was ever produced from that mold (and I'm actually still amazed at how cool this one looks).
    Upper Right: A recent shot of the discovered mold; Bottom Left: A '70's (3/4 view) shot of the car that has what looks like Don Kendall (disciple of Woods) at the wheel,
    and Bottom Right: A "theme build" not nearly as beautiful as Vern Matsushita's version, but it featured a non-padded top (as in my original concept art). ~Newt~5/11

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  2. abone1930

abone1930

Cool, subscribed:D Waiting for the experts:D

3. RichG

RichG

I tried to write to the fellow that has the mold but he has all his access blocked off, and his website link didn't work when I tried to leave a message there. I like the body and would be interested in finding out how much one would be... oh well.

4. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

It was Ed's understanding that the mold owner was under the mistaken impression that his mold was of Woods' Milk Truck, which it is not.

5. RichG

RichG

Yes, and it lead to a very unfortunate experience for him when he refused to listen to more knowledgeable folks.

6. Tom davison -

The HAMBer in question is BERNIES WELDING ... and here's the H.A.M.B. thread: C cab mold........

I ended up deleting all of my posts in that thread 'cuz the guy simply wouldn't listen to any sound advice from knowledgeable HAMBers (e.g., Goober) ... Me thinks the guy might not be running on all cylinders ... his HAMB profile states he has a '72 Pinto powered by a 241ci Dodge Red Ram :eek: (what a waste of a Baby HEMI!)

7. hahahaa, funny how small this word is.

Yes, the guy has a Woods Mold. We all agree. He just would not admit it was not the Milk Truck. Cool mold, thick head.

8. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

Neat to here from the horses mouth on this deal! I thought Bernies Welding got a bit "raked over the coals" on that deal, but as stated, he didn't want to listen. I think by the time all was said and done he got it but went away kinda hurt. No bother as far as I'm concerned, and I would be curious as to the price of the new batch of these bodies. This has always been one of my favorite alternative "T-bucket" type bodies.

9. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

well here is the latest from the thick headed flake that owns woods mold

until i got to talk to ed newton i thought the milk truck was a modified verson of the body mold i own. now as far as the information i have is as follows. since i talked to ed newton it took about two and a half weeks to get a chance to talk to dan woods himself. this is a short verson of how the conversation went; he said i do have the mold he created when he was attending CALSTATE, LONG BEACH, and the mold was the creation that was connected to a class assignment to produce something and then make a mold and then produce items from the mold. some of the other class members were making things like tray tables and a few other things. woods got quite a bit of attention from the faculity of the college and got a lot of recognition.

more to come.............

10. GaryB

GaryB
    from Reno,nv

looking forward to reading more:cool:

11. Doc.

Doc.
    Member Emeritus

Subscribed.

12. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

13. Dr. Sizzle

Dr. Sizzle

I so want to build that car! If these bodies ever get produced again I want one.

14. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

There's these...

[​IMG]

then there's the Dan Wood truck from the 1960's:

completely different....not even close

[​IMG]

15. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

you are a bit late to give your opnion on this matter. this has been hashed and rehashed and names have been called and statements have been made and others have aquised me and i have made statements to correct the info.

as far as i am concerned if you want one of the bodies from my mold you are not elegible.

you are just too late for mud slinging................

16. redlinetoys

redlinetoys
    from Midwest

Well all drama aside... I love the mold and the vehicles that came from it. Very cool. And very cool to hear from Ed Newton!

17. I actually like the bodies pulled from the mold BETTER than the Milk Truck; I think the lines flow better.

18. Tom davison

Tom davison
    from Phoenix AZ

???????????????????

19. Rem

Rem

I was just thinking the same thing. That first one with the wire wheels looks great, other than the steering 'wheel'.

20. I agree ,execpt I love the steering wheel.

21. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

latest update...............

i have found a shop that is willing to do bodies for a reasonable price. i am going to try and have one soon to display and get opnions on.

stay tuned.................

same bat station

same bat place

more to come

22. brigrat

brigrat
    from Wa.St.

I have a customer that would like a body and if available a frame, front suspension. In Eastern Wa. would pick up, no shipping. Need info, thanks ...........

23. Are the two on the top left the same car, just noticed the steering wheel position.

24. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

"Are the two on the top left the same car, just noticed the steering wheel position."

Maybe the owner changed it after he got tired of nutting himself every time he hit the brakes.

25. Yes, the first picture, you can see the steering box under the wheel, right in front of the seat. Picture below that, it's coming through the firewall. The paint looks the same.

26. Mazooma1

Mazooma1

Hey, that's not mud slinging, it's called INFORMATION. I was in the Early Times with Dan Woods and I know a thing or two about these cars.
    I've read all of the posts here and haven't read of any controversy or disagreement.
    My post was not aimed at YOU. It was meant to try to illustrate the difference.
    Since when is posting photos known as mud-slinging?
    I'm not aware of any drama...just trying to help.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2011
  27. KCsledz

KCsledz

I love me a c-cab.

28. Jeem

Jeem
    Alliance Vendor

RELAX.
    sheeesh...

Anyway, I absolutely love the design of Newton's/Wood's highly stylized C-cab. Every edge, corner and sweep is very well thought out. The whole concept on this C-cab style body is as beautiful as any euro coachbuilder would have or could have conceived.

It's freakin' bitchin'.

29. Since Mazooma was there back in the day and is considered a long standing contributer to this board I would suggest sitting down and shutting up when he posts. You may learn something.

30. dkendall

dkendall
    Member Emeritus

Yes the car was brought to my shop and I repositioned the steering and throttle to make it more comfortable for a new owner. Beautiful car.