Register now to get rid of these ads!

9 inch 2 speed differental.........

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BERNIES WELDING, May 8, 2011.

1. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

.....HERE WE GO AGAIN, SEE IF THIS GETS REMOVED....

i did a post earlier and because it had 67 or 68 in the title i got removed.............

i am looking for a 9 inch 2 speed differental that was originally factory installed in either a 67 or 68 cougar that was called the GTE DAYTONA. there was not many done but i heard about this many years ago and then i read an article in one of the car magazines a few years ago. i know a guy in largo florida that has rebuilt a couple for a cougar club there and i have been looking for one for a very long time.

who knows about them and is one out there.............

let me know........

2. Here is half of what you are looking for....I sold it awhile ago. Hone Overdrive that bolts into the 9 inch housing in place of the pinion support.

Attached Files:

3. Here is the skinny on the unit
    http://www.stangerssite.com/honeodrive.html

4. [​IMG]

[​IMG] <!-- / message -->
    <!-- controls --><!-- / controls -->​
    <!-- message, attachments, sig --><!-- post 723999 popup menu --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=4><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR><TR><TD class=vbmenu_option></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
    <!-- / post 723999 popup menu --><!-- / close content container --><!-- / post #723999 --><!-- post #724043 --><!-- open content container -->
    <!-- this is not the last post shown on the page --><TABLE id=post724043 class=tborder border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=6 width="100%" align=center><TBODY><TR><TD class=thead> #7
    <!-- / status icon and date -->
    </TD></TR><TR><TD style="PADDING-BOTTOM: 0px; PADDING-LEFT: 0px; PADDING-RIGHT: 0px; PADDING-TOP: 0px" class=alt2><!-- user info --><TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=6 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD noWrap><SCRIPT type=text/javascript itxtBad="1"> vbmenu_register("postmenu_724043", true); </SCRIPT>
    <!--olp modified to add name-->
    [SIZE=-2][/SIZE]
    </TD><TD width="100%"> </TD><TD vAlign=top noWrap>

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><!-- / user info --></TD></TR><TR><TD id=td_post_724043 class=alt1> <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

5. Bernie aint talking about a bolt on "hone o drive" rare in its own right.

This thing is probably one of them holy grail kinda things

6. BERNIES WELDING

BERNIES WELDING

where can i find one of these hens teeth items or has everything gone by the way of the dodo bird?

7. well for one you need to know what your looking for, its not a ford9" its a dana. thats gonna help a bunch.

Try spicer and see what they can tell you.

8. I haven't seen any paper catalogs or on-line catalogs that would indicate any such part from Dana Spicer. Not saying anything has been developed since the time frame of a Columbia for a Ford for anything smaller than a 1 1/2 ton truck and larger.
    I would like good info if such a system had been developed.

9. fab32

fab32
    Member Emeritus

Gotta believe there is a place for something like this in todays $4/gal. world.

Frank

10. Oh yea, you'd think so.
    .67 overdrive, not much different than todays overdrives

11. In the truck world, the two speed is an underdrive to assist keeping the driveshaft and rearend from exploding with the proper driver in the low speed/high torque need job conditions. It IS NOT an overdrive. The planetary gear setuphttp://www.roadranger.com/ecm/idcplg?IdcService=GET_FILE&dID=270925 is setup as a reduction with the axle shaft to be locked to the planetary gears.
    For overdrive, the planet gears would need to be locked to the axle housing to make the axle gears spin faster and to GENERATE MORE HEAT THAN THE DESIGN WAS MADE FOR BECAUSE OF OVERDRIVE CONDITIONS. Under normal harsh conditions, the planet gear shafts wear down in gear reduction mode. They have oil gallery cuts.
    Just info from what I know.

12. modeleh

modeleh

When I had my Hone OD apart to go through it, the thought of reverse engineering it did cross my mind. These things obviously worked well enough to be options on Baldwin Motion cars, Shelbys, Toyota Landcruisers, and others, so why are they dodo birds now and the only player now is gear vendors. The unit I have is a universal housing that is bolted to a crossmember between the trans and rearend, then you make up a two piece driveshaft.

13. The ones from the cougars were made by dana and called "streep" axle. supposedly 6 units were made and used for testing. never released into production. So thats what your up against.

The Hone-0-Drive is probably easier to find, does the same thing, and was marketed heavily towards the VR market. still out there. bolts to the front of a ford 9''

There was also a Jones Engineering unit that bolted to the front a ford 9'' that was more of a quick change unit. used standard quick change gears. they pop up every now and then.

14. I heard that the unit that you are really looking for was never released..... Therefore a Hone Overdrive would be easier to find. Unless of course you are trying to clone that Cougar.

15. HotRod33

HotRod33

There was a jones quick change on here that sold in april... so they are still out there... the listing is still in the parts classiffied section....

16. pcterm2

pcterm2

17. Hone-O-Drive unit

Attached Files:

18. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

When you find one you can use it on your "Milk Truck" :rolleyes: :D