Register now to get rid of these ads!

re-drill rear axle question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by msinclair32, May 5, 2011.

1. msinclair32

msinclair32

has anybody re-drilled a rear axle by yourself and had great success? thanks merle

2. Yes but I have a small machine shop and can do precision work....if you're thinking about doing this by hand, I would suggest not doing that....

3. badshifter

badshifter

Once a week at least. Why do you ask?

4. TexasHardcore

TexasHardcore
    from Austin-ish

If you're asking this, you're second guessing your ability...might as well take it to a machine shop.

5. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

Yes, and they are accurate within a few thousandths. The most important thing is that the wheel center hole fits the axle pilot TIGHT. You can then put the wheel on the axle or hub and use a transfer punch that can just pass through lug hole to punch a dimple that's on center (if you hold the transfer punch straight). Here are pics of redrilling a 70 Elcamino's 4 3/4" bolt circle to accept 37 Buick 5" BC wheels. An adaptor had to be made to fit between the Elcamino's axle pilot and the much larger Buick wheel center. I made a guide tube to align first a center drill and then the size drill needed for the lug holes since I don't trust my ability to hold a transfer punch exactly straight.

Attached Files:

6. 6-71

6-71

Yes I have drilled several sets of 9" Ford axles to 4 3/4 chevy bolt circle. I took an old camaro brake drum,bored the center out to fit snugly over the axle pilot,then cut the drum part off to make a template.I use the same template"drill guide" to redrill the brake drums. It's not rocket science,as" they" say

7. i have done it many times...both front drums/hubs and rear axles. i have a fixture i made to do it. if you have the right equipment and some ability it's not hard to do , if you are lacking in either it would be best to have a pro do it as others have suggested

8. Wilson welding has a jig you can rent to drill your hubs.

9. GAB-KC

GAB-KC

Here is a pretty simple idea for a jig to re-drill axles or hubs. You just have to be able to do the precision layout for the jig. I've done the math for all of the popular combinations. The hole for the new pattern is 1/4" and you would need a 1/4" transfer punch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. msinclair32

msinclair32

anybody got a jig like this for 4.75 to 4.250? thanks

11. dreracecar

dreracecar
    from so-cal

The dim between studs on 4.75 is 2.792 so at mid point your transfer punch hole should be up .204

12. I personally like to use a rotary table or an indexing head if I have a horizontal mill. But I also have fixtures I have made from lexan that you can use a transfer punch to locate the new holes clamp the axle real good and use a drill press.

13. Pretty freaking cool.

14. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I have done early Bronco 9" axles from 5.5 to 4.75 with a cheap plastic bolt pattern guage and a hand drill with good results. I just eyeball center the new studs with a small bit and graduate the bits up to the size I need for the new studs. Make sure you drill small enough for the knurl on the stud to bite.

15. Can this methods be safe if applied to volare disc rotors?
    I need to change the volare pattern to a chevy lug pattern.
    my brother is a good welder that can weld the stock holes shut but I dont know about how to get the disc surface trully flat.
    I called several shops in vegas and they dont seem to know how to do it.
    It would be best If they did it but...

16. Here is a method I have used for years now.I do drafting and design so have access to CNC punches and laser. This allows me to drill axles in place. The plate could be made on any mill then put on axle.

Attached Files: