Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-29-2011, 12:24 PM   #41
travj31

Default Re: The New Little Pages

glad to see this.. interested in picking up a copy

offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 12:26 PM   #42
hotdamn

I'm really surpised that 34 post into this thread and no one has mentioned this...

Ryan I agree with a lot of what you have to say, I too have spent a good portion of my life appalled at "the man" and not in some ignorant punk rock kid kinda way, in a how does no one else see this kinda way!

so with that preface out of the way, I too have a rather substantial vintage car magazine collection and can I say that they were whores in the little pages probably worse than current issues of R&C ever thought about...

go cart ads that outweigh the pages pertaining to cars 2 to 1, constant get rich quick ads in the back and let us not forget electro-plating your own chrome on your car, you can save hundreds!!!

my point is yes big business is evil and it consumes but were often forget that big business and shysters existed then too...

maybe I'm way off base here but just my thoughts.

"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
Henry Ford

Last edited by hotdamn; 04-29-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #43
Jeem
Alliance Vendor

You know what doesn't jive? You know what's NOT traditional? Dissecting, analyzing, double thinking all of this old car stuff. Man, all the sanctimony and passionate pretense is enough to gag a fuggin' maggot.

The HAMB is a great place for cars, project updates, tech, humorous crap, history and a way to voice an immediate opinion, for THIS Ryan, I am thankful and appreciative. What makes me nauseous is the pack mentality and the elitist garbage....

99% of the time I'm successful in disregarding the esoteric bullschittt, I'm working on the other 1%.
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 04-29-2011, 12:34 PM   #44
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad54 View Post
The other thing a magazine has over a website is that nobody ever bragged their car was featured on a website.

-Brad
Shit man... I've heard lots of folks brag. In fact, I know of more than one instance where TJJ was chosen over some of the more prominent.

I like HRD ok.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #45
Ryan
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeem View Post
You know what doesn't jive? You know what's NOT traditional? Dissecting, analyzing, double thinking all of this old car stuff. Man, all the sanctimony and passionate pretense is enough to gag a fuggin' maggot.

The HAMB is a great place for cars, project updates, tech, humorous crap, history and a way to voice an immediate opinion, for THIS Ryan, I am thankful and appreciative. What makes me nauseous is the pack mentality and the elitist garbage....

99% of the time I'm successful in disregarding the esoteric bullschittt, I'm working on the other 1%.
So, ignore it... Just skip the topics.

I know I go over board on occasion. I guess it's because I'm so damned passionate about it. Excuse the elitist garbage.

Ryan Cochran

"Skating the same line since 1976..."
.................................................. ....
www.jalopyjournal.com - www.garagejournal.com - www.gearjournal.com - www.fordbarn.com - www.DOGFIGHTmag.com
Old 04-29-2011, 12:35 PM   #46
fandangler
Grenade Inspector

Looks like it doesn't hit the shelves till May 3rd. I will definitely have to check it out!
Old 04-29-2011, 12:47 PM   #47
sololobo
Old School HAMBer

Like the open opinions and information, Rob Fortier in MHO is doing a great job making the reg R. & C. my pick of the litter. Friends first! ~sololobo~
Old 04-29-2011, 01:11 PM   #48
AJofHollywood

I'm a HAMBer, and I'm one of the lucky guys to be in this first annual issue. Check out "Craigslist A-Bone" --that'll be me! I still haven't found in a store yet.

OLLIN, thanks for the shout-out about my blog.

Rob asked me to write the article, he wanted the to "...be in your own words." So I wrote four pages. I know --a little long, right. I expected he would edit it. But lets see if left in my part about Ryan & the HAMB.

Ryan, you are a pretty cool guy. You too Jim A.

http://www.HotRodDisorder.com/
Old 04-29-2011, 01:17 PM   #49
Abomination
Old School HAMBer

Hey man, you don't have to apologize for your passion! As for the elitist and cliquish stuff, that's just life. From grade school to your every day job, to the HAMB, it's just life - it's just human nature, and happens in any group.

I hopped on the HAMB after lurking a bit because it grew on me. Turns out I loved it, in fact, for the same reasons you do. Many of us latched on because (consciously or not) we were seeking exactly what you provided, and for the exact same reasons you provided it: you just hit the nail on the head, and thus, a home run.

Via the membership numbers alone, the HAMB has spoken, showing what the general public wants and desires. In the meantime, a bunch of us became disillusioned with several print magazines. Perhaps, because the HAMB now dictates the path they must follow to recapture our love affair with print, publishers will be forced into putting out a better, higher-quality product. And thus, we come full-circle, as the magazine industry is raised from it's long slumber from beneath filler material and the thumbs of various owners stuck on ad sales - reignited, inspired, and fed by the HAMB.

Print won't go away, but with this latest development, at least it seems it's coming around. When it's time, go start your magazine, boy. The rest of us are waiting for chapter two of you giving them a run for their money...

~Jason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
So, ignore it... Just skip the topics.

I know I go over board on occasion. I guess it's because I'm so damned passionate about it. Excuse the elitist garbage.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:29 PM   #50
Chili Phil
Old School HAMBer

No one's seen this little book yet? I'll wait to see it before I know what I think.

There's still a lot of raw truth on the HAMB. I find it very useful to me. There are more participants now, so there's more idiots. But most of the original core group of people who make this place interesting still hang here. It's the immediacy of the flow of ideas that is the draw for me. It can't really be compared to print. There are other message boards that serve that function better than the HAMB, but they're very tightly focused and are by invitation only. But, the HAMB provides the model for all of them. And I share things found on the HAMB with the people on said boards. It all sort of fits together like it was designed that way. But we, who have been HAMBers for a long while, have watched Ryan make it up as he went along. It's been fun to see. And even more fun to participate in. I'm glad we have more options for looking at car stuff. It's a bright part of a dingy world.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:41 PM   #51
hotdamn

you know its kinda like underground music for me. Nirvana was better in my opinion when there were 12 people at the show...

at least those 12 were there because they dug it not as a fashion.

I use hot topic as model for life, let enough people find out about anything and they will ruin it.

I remember when the now 4 letter word rat rod meant traditional beater and look at what happened to that.

there will always be those of us that are in it because we bleed it and its exciting now to see it starting to grow but the senic in me see's it becoming a characeture of how it was. like traditional model A's that ride 2" off the ground...

Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #52
Chili Phil
Old School HAMBer

"I remember when the now 4 letter word rat rod meant traditional beater and look at what happened to that."

Really? I don't.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:46 PM   #53
hotdamn

in the mid 90's if you were younger and had a lowbuck A coupe and new what was up then chances are it was referred to as a rat rod.

oh sorry I see your from cali, you guys are 10 years ahead of us so it would have been in the late 80's for you

Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2011, 01:49 PM   #54
Jeff Norwell
Art Editor

Quote:
A failure of effort on my part. Some day...

..big dummy.

http://www.jeffnorwell.com
http://drawnandquarrtered.blogspot.com
Old 04-29-2011, 01:51 PM   #55
Chili Phil
Old School HAMBer

Actually, I remember rat bikes from the '70s, and the early versions of old style hot rods in the '80s. But rat rod is a post '90s term. Probably. I could be wrong, ya know. Whatever. I agree with you about the over low model As.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:00 PM   #56
hotdamn

the first time I heard it was in a book from the 90's that had a write up about the Choppers I believe, may have been the Shifters, it was a long time ago and I dont recall exactly which one it was?

hell maybe I'm crazy?
any one else remember that?

Henry Ford
Old 04-29-2011, 02:07 PM   #57
jimmitchell70
Grenade Inspector

As far as bragging about a car on a website goes, I like to think it is the future.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:09 PM   #58
JimA
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredpilot View Post
Jim has been one of the more colorful and opinionated personalities on the HAMB. yes, he has been banned, reinstated, left on his own and changed his username. none of that is any of my business. thats between he and Ryan.

as for janet and jonnie.... we can do without.
I don't care what anyone knows- I'm an open book. The current total is ALL of my post combined thanks to Ryan. I've had a couple names-

1. Redondo Rodder- that went awat quick.

2. JimA- has been my screen name pretty much the whole time. There was a time my name said "BANNED" under it. I had done nothing more than work a different message board and was asked politely if I wanted my acct. closed. The "BANNED" was added after I was gone. I really had done nothing wrong and never had ill will for the HAMB.

3. Jim A- was my name when I recently came back, but Ryan let me have the old one back.

Someone once signed on with a name simular to mine and said some crap, but it was known from the inside not to be me by the I.P. address. While I don't start out to make trouble- it has followed me in the past. I don't ever want any trouble, but I do have certain opinions I believe in.

Also good to reserve judgement or praise until you are holding something in your hand. I'm too often let down by anything in print other the The Rodder's Journal and Hot Rod Deluxe.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #59
RAZIN CAIN
Alliance Member

Quote:
I can't imagine a scenario that would cause me to put my passion behind the bottom line. I mean, don't get me wrong - this is my business. This is how I feed my family... This is my career... I understand that.

However, I don't have huge financial aspirations. I just don't. I have gigantic fucking publishing aspirations, but none of that is driven by green. It's driven by my absolute passion for these old cars.

And frankly, I'm not all that different from a lot of guys in the industry. The difference is that I'm in a position to somewhat control my own destiny. I got here by really hard work, absolute luck, really great friends (Rob Fortier had a lot to do with my routes), and well... You guys.

It's pretty humbling when I think about it all. I'm living my dream... And I'm not doing so because of anything I really did all that well. I'm doing so because of other people trusting me, believing in me, etc... That thinking alone would keep me from hiring an ad staff and going for broke.

Now, all that said and despite what my reputation might tell you - I have no interest in seeing the print world die. I have a great deal of interest in seeing the print world change. It's totally selfish reasoning... Hell, I bet I have one of the largest vintage car magazine collections in the country... I do love print despite all of the limitations. Remember, I'm a traditionalist to the core.

Corky Coker once told me that the bigger the glass is, the more everyone can drink. I believe that if we support content oriented magazines (like Rod & Custom's Little Pages appear to be) our glass will grow and we will all be better for it.

As for selling editorial... I'll never stop bagging on publishers, magazines, editors, or writers for doing that.
Damn...can I get a AMEN!!!!
SHELBY Engineered Racing Engines R.I.P
ROD KINGS C.C.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:10 PM   #60
chigger
Alliance Member

To damn bad the local NEWSSTAND closed down...
online   Reply With Quote