Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 04-19-2011, 06:02 AM   #1
negativeMatt

Location: Beaufort,NC/ Kandahar air field and the afganistan front lines
Default 54 stude coupe design and modifications

as some of you may know, i'm building a 54 stude for my father.(see thread:my father and his studebakers)

there are several updates that i am doing to this car, and although some are probably more of a street rod type thing, its what my dad wants, so thats what he gets. it will be a mix/mash of new and old, but hopefully it wont be confused as alot of "custom" cars can get.

the body will have subtle mods, but i'm having trouble in one area. it's always bugged me about these cars, and i'd like to change it. when introduced in 53, there definately wasn't anything out there similar in the domestic market. hamber rixrex quoted" the 53-4 stude coupes make everything else available at the time look like a loaf of bread!", and i have to agree....slippery, smooth flowing lines....except for one thing....the headlights. standing there, upright,defiant, in the face of all those beautiful angles of that front end. i'm not sure of the drag coefficient, but as far as a design standpoint, they definately detract from it to me.they could have used the headlights from 38-40's fords, or even early vw's as they would've blended well into the design.

...and that leads me to my dilemma.
i'd like to change the headlights to reflect the angles of the front end, but do it tastefully and in a way that works with the design. understandably, i will run into the naysayers and the "traditionalists", but i know there are some truly great designers on this board, and some really good "eyes". (i have a arts degree myself)

i've found a few examples of cars done over the years that i like and wanted to put them here for your opinions and judgement. i like each one for different reasons, but just wanted to see what others think. ultimately, i'll have to decide which one i like, but for an excersize in design, i just wanted to see what the H.A.M.B. had to say.

john martin was the first guy i saw put the mercedes headlights on a coupe, but i couldn't find a good enough pic to post. the first car is terp christensen's coupe with minicooper headlights. i like the flow and the chrome trim of this install, but it definately gives the car a more modern feel.

next is just a typical "french" install. clean and simple, but still detracts from the flowing lines, but cleaner than the factory.i dont know whose car it is, but i like it.

the third is a different take that i've never seen before, but after searching for hours on flickr, i came across it and really like the treatment. "one off customs" built the car, and i think they did a great job.

i'd love to see more examples if you have em, as i have quite a few more monts till i leave afganistan and get home to get to work on the car, and eventually make up my mind. please lemme know what you guys think, and give me a "why" to go along with your opinion.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:19 AM   #2
Ole don
Alliance Member

Location: Southern Illinois half way between Benton and DuQuoin
Default Re: 54 stude coupe design and modifications

OK, you asked, I'll respond. Some of us are old enough to have seen these cars since they were new. They were radical then, they still look great today. I had a 54 hardtop, lowered, with the body all stock. Even the headlights. IMHO they look best with stock headlight rings. Chrome or painted, they need to be stock to look right.
Nice car to start with, cool as hell your doing it for your dad.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:35 AM   #3
James D
Old School HAMBer

How about just replacing the peaked headlamp rings with smooth Lucas type ones, as per the Mini?

Although, I´d probably just leave them alone.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:45 AM   #4
dubcee

I have to say I love the lines of the minni cooper headlights on 53Lowboys (Turp Christianson) bad ass coupe but it is not too traditional, more street rod look, imo.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:21 AM   #5
Phillips
Alliance Member

Great designs have an element of contrast. The difference between the smooth, low grille area and the forward position of the headlights give the design some 'movement'. While they are all very nice cars, none of the modified cars pictured improve on the original design IMO. Perhaps something like 55 Olds lights would take away some of the pointed effect you don't like, but still fit in with the original design.

This is a great thing you are doing for your dad, and thank you for your service to our country!
Old 04-19-2011, 08:22 AM   #6
tommy
Old School HAMBer

I agree but. When I had mine, I planed to just dechrome the original rings and paint them body color. I just can't get into the modern headlights. I believe that painted...they will just flow into the fender.

I had an artist paint this for me as I was working on it. I forgot to tell him about the HL door modification that I planed. It would look so much better if they were painted. IMHO
Old 04-19-2011, 08:27 AM   #7
Surfrider
Grenade Inspector

Don't change the headlights!!!

I had a 54 Stude, all I did was put a 53 Sude grill on it (smooth off the lettering and re-chrome it), take the bumper guards off, shave the "V" off the nose, shave the trunk, lower it and it will be PERFECT.

You'll %uck up a beautiful car if you change it radically. It's already cool, it only needs a shave.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:31 AM   #8
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole don View Post
OK, you asked, I'll respond. Some of us are old enough to have seen these cars since they were new. They were radical then, they still look great today. I had a 54 hardtop, lowered, with the body all stock. Even the headlights. IMHO they look best with stock headlight rings. Chrome or painted, they need to be stock to look right.
Exactly correct. They were a slippery SOB when they were new and still are.

If I was going to do something different with the head lights I would be looking for a pair from an old E Type jag. They are the correct shape to enhance the lines.

That said my '53 is pretty much staying in the stock configuration, I will probably end up with a scoop to cover the tops of my carbs but that is an entirely different subject.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 04-19-2011, 08:34 AM   #9
Kellys Hot Rod Parts
Alliance Member

The headlight treatrment on some of these cars are as bad as the stopping distance you get with the oversize wheel and tire combinations. I like the classic bonneville look on vintage Studes!!
online   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 08:45 AM   #10
nofin
Grenade Inspector

For a slightly swept back smooth chrome bezel how about 50's MB ponton? They are similar to the lucas rims JamesD showed but a little larger and they lean back a little. I think the more modern MB or Mini lights lean back too far to match the lines on the rest of the car.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes_Benz_Ponton_Coupe_Darmstadt.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	235.4 KB
ID:	1298511   Click image for larger version

Name:	stude1a.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	1298709  

Last edited by nofin; 04-19-2011 at 01:50 PM. Reason: added photoshop
Old 04-19-2011, 08:53 AM   #11
OldsRanch
Grenade Inspector

The red car looks like a mercedes benz. but it follows the angular line of the car fairly well.

I left mine alone, I didnt want to mess with a good thing.

Plus, if it ever ends up in a fender bender, the closer it is to stock, the more quickly you'll get back to driving it again. Granted, you dont want to think about that, but its a reality.

Its a preference thing, do what makes you happy - its your car.

The more I scroll up and look at the pics you posted, the more I see that stylistically - the hardtop cars (like mine and the red one) have a "thinner" look to them than the two door sedan like yours and the other two. The orange car tried to minimize that by blacking out the body colored area around the door/window frames.

Last edited by OldsRanch; 04-19-2011 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:02 AM   #12
Bullet Nose

A friend used Olds headlight rims on his 54 .....

"REAL" lowered cars don't have air bags or hydraulics!
Old 04-19-2011, 09:11 AM   #13
oldcarfart
Alliance Member

some cars are hard to make look better, and in my not-so-humble opinion the C/K stude is one, just paint the headlight rings body color and use 3 bar Lucas style lamps, the sloped headlights look like sh*t.
Old 04-19-2011, 09:24 AM   #14
Hnstray
Alliance Member

I have a '56 Hardtop and have had a few other '53/'54 coupes over the years and love these cars. I am with the others who advise against any significant modification. Not because I am against mods in principle, I most certainly am not, but because it is very difficult to improve on the car's original lines. I do agree that painted H/L bezels would be an unobtrusive change at worst and maybe an improvement at best. I have considered that for mine. If you look at the GT Hawk headlight 'doors', they recess the lamp, but are not hooded, and while painted mostly, there is a thin chrome ring at the very leading edge that, in my opinion, complements the delicate grille surround trim.

Ray
Old 04-19-2011, 06:03 PM   #15
Rudebaker

I have a '55, the "ugly" younger sibling. I do NOT like any of the headlight mods that alter the profile of the car. Bob Bourke got it right ( Raymond Loewy did NOT design these cars! He just took the credit. ) leave the headlights alone.

I do however like this mod.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullet Nose View Post
A friend used Olds headlight rims on his 54 .....

Last edited by Rudebaker; 04-19-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:34 PM   #16
partsdawg
Alliance Member

Not a fan of the Mercedes look.Disrupts the flow more than enhances it.
Old 04-19-2011, 06:53 PM   #17
flamedabone
Alliance Member

Location: Drinkin' beer and building hot rods in S. Carolina.

You are right, the headlights are a bit funky, but they are hard to fix with out making the car look goofy. Your mind knows what those headlights are suposed to look like, and if they are diffrent, your brain has a hard time getting over the feeling that something is wrong.

I body colored mine and quit worring about em.

Good luck, -Abone.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:17 PM   #18
RuFFDaWG

I remember those cars when they were new - and still on the road. Raymond Loewy may have taken the credit but whoever dreamed it up made the perfect design. If it were my car I'd leave the headlights alone. Maybe paint them the body color but that's it....
And WOW look at that Stude from flamedabone in post #17! That's way my favorite....

'32 Cruisin'

Last edited by RuFFDaWG; 04-19-2011 at 07:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 07:31 PM   #19
stude54
FNG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudebaker View Post
I have a '55, the "ugly" younger sibling. I do NOT like any of the headlight mods that alter the profile of the car. Bob Bourke got it right ( Raymond Loewy did NOT design these cars! He just took the credit. ) leave the headlights alone.
I totally agree that Bourke got it right. I also painted mine to match. The only thing I like better is to graft a similar rim to the fender and french the headlights.

The newer lights just don't look right to my eye.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:51 PM   #20
edweird
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole don View Post
exactly what he said !!!
Old 04-19-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Willys 77

Some things CAN NOT be improved upon!!! For example: The 1933 ~ 34 WILLYS 77; the 1939 DeLuxe and 1940 Standard FORDS; 1940 WILLYS and the 1953 ~ 54 STUDEBAKER! Just my Two Cents worth.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:26 PM   #22
Dragon Wagons
Grenade Inspector

I'll go against the board here... I love the Cooper lights in it, it's probably the only car I like them in.

I wonder what a 37 Ford light would look like, could you get it leaned back far enough? Or what about some '56 Olds lights flipped upside down.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:40 PM   #23
RDR

Love customs!....BUT you cannot improve on the Lowey 53-54 coupes!!!.... like's been said before; nosed, decked, lowered,and a 53 grille....perfect
Old 04-19-2011, 11:49 PM   #24
RichFox
Alliance Member

I dissagre with all these guys. I like that red car at the begining. Reminds me of the SanCheze stude when it had the rounded off fender tops. Sort of like Burklands Stude comp coup. But he shortend his and that is funny looking. Buy my Stude and do what ever you want to it. Please.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:10 AM   #25
nrgwizard

Trying to remember, but... IIRC, ~'48 Cad headlight trim rings fit nice, have no eyebrow, & smooth off the headlight nicely. Look good.

As mentioned, either real close to stock, or E-jag/ferrari250TestaRosa type may work. Only other possibility (&probably the best) is a virtual copy of Sanchez fenders.

Marcus...
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 PM   #26
Iron Crank

Yes, edweird, spot on, on all counts.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:07 AM   #27
James D
Old School HAMBer

How about Porsche 911 headlights? These are not the same as VW Bug lights BTW, the lenses and chrome rings are different. They are probably more the streamlined shape you want, but without being anywhere near as bulky as the MINI lights, so they´ll actually fit the fenders.

Shown here on a Karmann Ghia (best pic I could find)...

Old 05-10-2011, 02:47 AM   #28
fuzzybear

i was thinkin maybe 40 ford??? dont know what it'd look like. maybe need to see a photchop? i do like the look of those cars stock tho
Old 05-10-2011, 03:13 AM   #29
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

Lightbulb Re: 54 stude coupe design and modifications

------------------
Another possibility too - how about some
Mercedes headlights - from a 1996 through
2002 CLK-class, or a 1995 through 2002
E-class, maybe? The sloped-back angle
of these lights might suit the general 'slope'
of the Stude body lines better than the
Mini-Cooper headlights and to my mind
not having the large chrome 'surround
rings', they look cleaner and also
less 'busy' than the Mini-Cooper lights .

Mart3406
===============
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mercedes  CLK-class -'96 - 2002.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	45.2 KB
ID:	1316964   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mercedes  E-class - '95-2002.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	34.7 KB
ID:	1316965  
Old 05-10-2011, 05:30 AM   #30
James D
Old School HAMBer

Not too bad. These Porsche lights first appeared in 63, before anyone shouts "non-traditional".

Old 05-10-2011, 06:24 AM   #31
brownsmetal
Alliance Member

Merc rings.
Old 05-10-2011, 06:27 AM   #32
brownsmetal
Alliance Member

Another shot.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM   #33
Surfrider
Grenade Inspector

Those headlight mods, DON"T IMPROVE ON PERFECTION!!!

If you want to change them to be different, have at it, but from a pure design standpoint, you'd be working it backwards.

Read up on Raymond Lowey and Bob Bourke (Bourke is the guy who actually designed the car). You're not messing around with some POS, designed-by-comittee, atomobile here, this is well thought out by genius designers. Do some homework before you put faddish headlights on a classic design.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:08 AM   #34
Kellys Hot Rod Parts
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamedabone View Post
You are right, the headlights are a bit funky, but they are hard to fix with out making the car look goofy. Your mind knows what those headlights are suposed to look like, and if they are diffrent, your brain has a hard time getting over the feeling that something is wrong.

I body colored mine and quit worring about em.

Good luck, -Abone.
Thats a badass sob there!! Looks like it going 200 mph standin still!!
online   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 10:20 AM   #35
RichFox
Alliance Member

If you are going to change your Stude I would say any modification should make it look even more streamliney. The Mercedes head lights are slick. The Porsche 911 lights don't do that for me. There are other current lights that are very slick, but none are traditional. Maybe early Jag XKE
Old 05-10-2011, 10:28 AM   #36
porknbeaner
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichFox View Post
If you are going to change your Stude I would say any modification should make it look even more streamliney. The Mercedes head lights are slick. The Porsche 911 lights don't do that for me. There are other current lights that are very slick, but none are traditional. Maybe early Jag XKE

There ya go.

I think the E-Type lights would make it resemble the Sanchez-Cagle-Lemen coupe. I have even thought that you could fill the fenders just like the coupe they ran in '55 and then mount 4 small driving lights in the grill openings. Way back so they don't show until lit.

No man crosses a chasm in two jumps
Old 05-10-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
RDR

Abone.......LOVE your Stude!....now that's what I'm talkin' about
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	studeatwork.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	1317091  
Old 05-10-2011, 10:49 AM   #38
Flat-N-Low

It's hard to improve on that body style, especially considering how futuristic it looked for 1953. Compare it to whatever else was out there at the time, and it looks like a spaceship from the future.

I don't have as big a problem with the headlights as I do with the roof, namely the way it slopes upward at the front. Even as a kid, I always thought a 63-67 Vette coupe roof would look badass on a Stude.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:27 PM   #39
rixrex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surfrider View Post
Don't change the headlights!!!

I had a 54 Stude, all I did was put a 53 Sude grill on it (smooth off the lettering and re-chrome it), take the bumper guards off, shave the "V" off the nose, shave the trunk, lower it and it will be PERFECT.

You'll %uck up a beautiful car if you change it radically. It's already cool, it only needs a shave.
I second that..If you just have to mess with it, 55 Chevy headlights and eyebrows look pretty cool..
Old 05-10-2011, 09:20 PM   #40
speedyb

My old girl, I miss her more each day, she looked perfect to me.
Old 05-10-2011, 09:24 PM   #41
speedyb

I guess if I needed to change the front I'd just cut It like this,This car went 200 mph in 1958
Old 05-10-2011, 09:55 PM   #42
Builtforsin
Grenade Inspector

It really is impossible to improve on that cars design. All the backward leaning lines are all shared from the front to the back (the hood center with the windshield and the C-pillar with the scallop). Trying to get the headlights to angle back to match these, presumably with the hood, only distracts from the overall shape.

Same with when they are chopped and have the windshield leaned back, or with the 4 door sedans... They just don't look right, somethings off with em. Too many backwards leaning angles, too many of those angles fighting each other.

The 53-54 (55 speedsters don't look too back with the grill painted...) Studebaker coupes were just plain done right the first time. Changing the shape of them only takes away from whats there and never enhances what is already beautiful shape.

*EDIT* For an example, see above. Good for the aerodynamics, not more gooder for the eyes... too little fender or something.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:21 PM   #43
bob-o
Grenade Inspector

Back when Custom Rodder magazine was still around, Dave Hill did a photochop of a '53-'54 Stude using the headlights of a '56 Plymouth. I tried to find it and couldn't, but here's a '56 Plym (sorry for the huge pic. I'm not tech-savvy enough to know how to re-size). Anyways, I always thought it would be a killer mod and as far as I know, it's not been done. Just my 2 cents.

Los Boulevardos
Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 05-10-2011, 11:10 PM   #44
GasserTodd
Grenade Inspector

Sorry dude, you just cant improve on perfect.

Your dads car looks mighty fine as it is now
Old 05-11-2011, 06:53 AM   #45
aerorocket

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasserTodd View Post
Sorry dude, you just cant improve on perfect.

Your dads car looks mighty fine as it is now

x2- Don't fix it if it's not broke.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:07 AM   #46
stealthcruiser
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by James D View Post
How about Porsche 911 headlights? These are not the same as VW Bug lights BTW, the lenses and chrome rings are different. They are probably more the streamlined shape you want, but without being anywhere near as bulky as the MINI lights, so they´ll actually fit the fenders.

Shown here on a Karmann Ghia (best pic I could find)...

..........................This one, is the ONLY one, that I might consider!!!!
Old 05-11-2011, 11:57 AM   #47
RichFox
Alliance Member

I would never under any circumstance nor pain of death consider '56 Plymouth, '55 Chevy or other hooded headlights on a Stude. The whole car is streamline with everything leaning back as if sculptured by the wind at 250. Putting froward facing parachutes on the front fenders is wrong. Better leave it alone then mess around with it if you like one line fighting all the rest
Old 05-11-2011, 01:25 PM   #48
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcruiser View Post

"...............This one, is the ONLY one,
that I might consider!!!!
"
------------------------------------------------
I like the Porsche headlights too. The lines and
the sloped-back angle do seem to suit the angles
and slope of the Stude body. To those don't like
them and say you'd be ruining the car, fitting the
Porsche headlights would only mean altering the
front fenders - and the car could be put back to
stock again with just another a set of fenders.

Not that that they had anything to do with the
design of the the '53 Stude, but there was a
definite Porsche connection to Studebaker in the
1950's. Porsche even designed some prototypes
for Studebaker in the early and mid-1950's - the
'Type 542' and the 'Type 633'. Then later in a
collaboration between Studebaker, Porsche and
Curtis-Wright, even an 'experimental' air-cooled,
flat-4-Porsche-engined 1960 Lark sedan!

Mart3406
---------------------
SIA Flashback – A Studebaker by Porsche
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...er-by-porsche/

Porsche-Studebaker Connection - The
Type 542: Porsche's Studebaker

www.studebaker-info.org/studeporsche/stude-porsche08.html
and
http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/porsstud2.txt

Studebakers that never were
www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm
=================================
Old 05-11-2011, 05:55 PM   #49
stealthcruiser
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart3406 View Post
------------------------------------------------
I like the Porsche headlights too. The lines and
the sloped-back angle do seem to suit the angles
and slope of the Stude body. To those don't like
them and say you'd be ruining the car, fitting the
Porsche headlights would only mean altering the
front fenders - and the car could be put back to
stock again with just another a set of fenders.

Not that that they had anything to do with the
design of the the '53 Stude, but there was a
definite Porsche connection to Studebaker in the
1950's. Porsche even designed some prototypes
for Studebaker in the early and mid-1950's - the
'Type 542' and the 'Type 633'. Then later in a
collaboration between Studebaker, Porsche and
Curtis-Wright, even an 'experimental' air-cooled,
flat-4-Porsche-engined 1960 Lark sedan!

Mart3406
---------------------
SIA Flashback – A Studebaker by Porsche
http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...er-by-porsche/

Porsche-Studebaker Connection - The
Type 542: Porsche's Studebaker
www.studebaker-info.org/studeporsche/stude-porsche08.html
and
http://www.studebaker-info.org/text3/porsstud2.txt

Studebakers that never were
www.studegarage.com/porsche.htm
=================================

It's my understanding, that there was come major collaboration, and "design sharing", between Studebaker and Mercedes-Benz, in the early to mid fifties, specifically on suspension designs......
Old 05-13-2011, 05:49 AM   #50
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthcruiser View Post

"It's my understanding, that there was
come major collaboration, and "design
sharing", between Studebaker and
Mercedes-Benz, in the early to mid fifties,
specifically on suspension designs...
"
------------------------
Yeah. As well as Porsche, Studebaker,
starting in the early 1950's, also collaborated
with Mercedes-Benz too. To my mind anyway,
there seems to be more than just a bit of
Mercedes-inspired 'influence' at least, in the
grill and general front end design of the '56
through '64 Hawks and again in the '59 through
'64 Larks. For a while as well, and I think lasting
until sometime in the early 1960's, Studebaker
was also the sole importer and distributor of
Mercedes-Benz cars for the U.S. and Canadian
market.
*Not that any of this has anything at all to do with
helping 'Matt' select some 'esthetically pleasing,
while at the same time, some also somewhat less
aerodynamically challenged
' headlights for his
already very slick and very cool '54 coupe!* LOL

Mart3406
=============================

Last edited by mart3406; 05-13-2011 at 06:02 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 10:22 AM   #51
mart3406
Old School HAMBer

Lightbulb Re: 54 stude coupe design and modifications

I don't know where you'd find a set
nowadays, but what about a pair of
headlights from a mid-60's Fiat 850
Spyder????

Mart3406
=======================
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0 -B&U -A - Fiat 850 Spyder -1.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	289.9 KB
ID:	1337734   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 -B&U -A - Fiat 850 Spyder -2.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1337735   Click image for larger version

Name:	0 -B&U -A - Fiat 850 Spyder -3.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	133.6 KB
ID:	1337736  

Last edited by mart3406; 06-04-2011 at 12:33 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 11:00 AM   #52
jb39chev

Don't really show the headlights, but at least they don't interupt the flow.
Hard to do anything to these cars to make them better.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	old pix 3 148.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	488.1 KB
ID:	1336710  
Old 06-03-2011, 03:29 PM   #53
James D
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mart3406 View Post
I don't know where you'd find a set
nowadays, but what about a pair of
headlights from a mid-60's Fiat 850
Spyder????

Mart3406
=======================
Yeah.... the thing about these is that they were also used on the Lamborghini Miura. Makes them rather pricey! Not easy to find either.
Old 06-03-2011, 03:44 PM   #54
Hdonlybob
Old School HAMBer

I have always liked this style of Studebaker....way ahead of their time in style and design IMO.....would love to own one some day...
Nice pics.
Cheers...........
Old 06-03-2011, 04:19 PM   #55
resqd37Zep
Old School HAMBer

If I remember correctly Vintage Airs project "A COOL 200" used early Cadillac rings. They were cool and rather simple but cleaned up that area all the same. I miss my 54 hardtop. It's one of the cars that when you hit the scene there is only a slim chances you'll see another one there.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	130082090_53d765e448_b.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	471.2 KB
ID:	1337716  

Last edited by resqd37Zep; 06-03-2011 at 11:01 PM.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:30 PM   #56
53studecoupe

I have a love for changing things....58 T-bird hood scoop on my 53 but the headlights, I wouldn't change other than color match IMHO
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Front end.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	270.1 KB
ID:	1338515  
Old 07-03-2011, 10:39 PM   #57
DEEPNHOCK
Grenade Inspector

Here's a pic of my '53 drag car project.
Put late model halogen bulbs in with integral turn/running lights.
Rings are just painted the body color.
I like them, but they look like they are full of beer
Jeff
'53 Stude Drag Car
Old 07-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #58
old me
Grenade Inspector

Always loved these and the Hawks.
To think of the ones I passed on because I thought 500.00 to 1000.00 was too much money for one many years ago.
As Builtforsin stated-these cars were done right from the beginning.
Good luck on your build!!
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 PM   #59
Iron Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPNHOCK View Post
Here's a pic of my '53 drag car project.
Put late model halogen bulbs in with integral turn/running lights.
Rings are just painted the body color.
I like them, but they look like they are full of beer
Jeff
You say, "full of beer" like it's a bad thing???
Old 07-05-2011, 09:59 PM   #60
Iron Crank

Quote:
Originally Posted by 53studecoupe View Post
I have a love for changing things....58 T-bird hood scoop on my 53 but the headlights, I wouldn't change other than color match IMHO
Very much like the scoop from the first square bird!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 PM   #61
Rocky
Classified Editor

I've had 4 of those cars..love 'em. If I did anything at all to the headlights it would be to build sheetmetal extensions on the front fenders that exactly mimic the original shape of the headlight rings. It'd look like somebody just welded the stock headlight rims to the car and smoothed out the weld...but of course the originals are pot metal and not "weldable"..
It appears your 54 has 53 grille inserts...a little smoother than 54s...nice looking car.