Register now to get rid of these ads!

Folks Of Interest Power For Winning...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ryan, Apr 18, 2011.

1. Ryan

Ryan
    ADMINISTRATOR
    Staff Member

2. Mutt

Mutt

Here's the Speed and Mileage Manual..original copywrite 1947 - this is a special revised edition - 1951

Mutt

Attached Files:

3. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

1953 catalog

[​IMG]

I always liked this cover.

4. onedge

onedge

Thanks for doing the whole catalog Ryan.

5. ArchangelKustom

ArchangelKustom
    from NR/OH

Amazing how the sport has evolved...from mail order to internet

Wonder how many guys tried porting and relieving their own motors based on just that simple description? and how many were successful!?
    How many of us would just take on a project nowadays without consulting several books, magazines, a couple internet forums, etc?

6. KrisKustomPaint

KrisKustomPaint

I do. Its no fun at all if you're just following some book step by step.

7. Ryan, an interview with Mr. Almquist would be dynamite. He's the first legend I met when I started getting into rods and customs. It was at Carlisle swap and he autographed his "Pioneers" book for me and took some time to talk about these old heaps. Very genuine and humble man. Would be great to hear more of his history.

8. Fopelaez

Fopelaez

I bought mine last year (new reprint) in a trip i made to the US, until then I have never heard of Ed, without doubt is a piece of automotive history, now I'm an Almquist fan and like to see some of his equipment installed. Specially the water injection (never heard of it until I read the book, does it really work?)

9. better hurry and get that interview Ryan , before it is too late and he goes to the big dragstrip in the sky:cool:

10. autobilly

autobilly

An interview is a great idea.

11. I spent the summer of 1957 at a YMCA camp in northers NJ. On our way home, I talked my Dad into swinging by Milford so I could see for myself what Almquist Engineering looked like. To my disappointment, the showroom was little bigger than an oversized closet. There was a flathead engine on a stand with all the typical speed parts of the day. Only a small amount of other hard parts were on display, and no one to talk to.
    Eventually someone came out to see what I wanted, but when he saw a skinny 15 year old kid, he handed me a catalog and went back into what I suspect was the office where mail orders were processed. Was I pissed? HELL NO. It was my first trip to a real Speed Shop, and at 15, they really couldn't do anything to ruin my love for all things Hot Rod.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2011
  12. I would really like to hear what Mr. Almquist has to say. When I was a mere lad of 8 yrs. old, I used to send off for his catalogs, and read them til they were ragged, dreaming of the parts I'd buy if I had a car. Loved his stuff, and it brings back alot of memories of a magic time in my life, and our hobby.

13. gee i have my alliance tags (new one today)leaned against a few Almquist catologs on the book shelf in the living room ....
    din't know ya needed one ?

so .... what else is on yer list RYAN...????

14. flamingokid

flamingokid

It's amazing, the sheer amount of things he invented and sold over the years.The man is a genius.

15. I posted earlier on a water injection unit I bought at an estate sale here and nobody could identify it. Well reading some of my newly aquired 14 box Hotrod book collection 1948-1970s, I saw an ad for a Water alcohol injection from 1950 in Almquists ad. It looks like mine!!I think it was $12. I got this one for $20 or less60 years later. I cant remember now what I paid as it was very cheap and I got a ton of other cool old stuff at the same estate sale for free or next to it. It could have actually been free. It even still had both carb plates for the 3 bolt Stromberg and 4 bolt Holley carb pattern.

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=504893&highlight=water+injection

Last edited: Jun 25, 2012