Register now to get rid of these ads!

custom HF bead roller dies... interest?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FiddyFour, Apr 12, 2011.

1. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

greetings and hallucinations

i'm in the process of making a set of dies for the infamous HF bead roller. one set for me for now, but if there would be interest, i could make a larger run of them.

what profiles would you guys be interested in?

let me know, and if the interest is there, i'll make a large run of them, various profiles etc.

T

2. Koz

Koz

Put me down for a set of tipping dies. Very difficult to get for the cheapie machines.

3. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

kinda thought those would be ones that guys would want...

4. plym49

plym49
    from Earth

count me in, if price is of this earth

5. bct

bct

cut one flange off a 2" pulley and use hockey puck material (or anything soft and durable) for the bottom...

6. i would like some dies to make the bead on ford bodys
    tk

7. nowaxn5

nowaxn5

Ok. What are tipping dies?

8. 41fred207

41fred207

louver dies!! i have a Woodward Fab roller. not sure if h/f dies are inter-changable.

9. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Dies for forming different radius grooves and making edge bends with a radius.

Attached Files:

• 2-9.jpg
      2-9.jpg
      File size:
      58.6 KB
      Views:
    • 1-12.jpg
      1-12.jpg
      File size:
      61.6 KB
      Views:
  10. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Tipping dies like the ones above and louver dies too. I have a Magnum bead rolller.

11. I'd be interested in a set of tipping dies

12. man-a-fre

man-a-fre

30-31 ford lower bead die

13. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

ok... louver dies and tipping dies...

the tipping dies i'm going to make are going to be a bit less expensive than the hoosier sets...

i'm thinking around $45 for a two piece set of tipping dies. i'll look into the louver dies also

as for the dies to make beltline reveals for fords... yes, i can look into them as well.

14. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

all i would need is the specs on the dies you'd need, and i dont see a problem making those as well.

15. EXACTLY!!! I'll take a set of these too!!! Not sure how many years used the same profile - I need a set to make the narrow (read roadster/phaeton/3W) '32 body bead. If you need a sample profile I can make one up and e-mail it to you. I've got a Williams Lowbuck bead roller - pretty sure they're the same fit.

Steve

16. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

well, the response to this is kinda, well, over the top... :eek: :D :cool:
    and it seems i'm going to be busy making HF roller dies VERY soonish.

the answer to about 99% of the questions like below is "yes"

all i would need is a sample of the bead profile you want, and i should be able to turn a set of dies to re-create it. for body/reveal lines, i'd need either a sample piece cut out of a bad panel, a scaled CAD drawing ( .DWF or the like) or an exact measured drawing of the profile that i can print out and make a pattern from.

so far, the short list of dies i have planned are below.

1: tipping dies.
    2: body/reveal dies.
    3: wide ford floor pan bead dies.
    4: louver dies.
    5: radius/roundover dies.

all of the dies will be turned by yours truly then case hardened, polished and ready to go to work.

i am in the beginning stages of "tooling up" to make these, and a few other HF metal working tools bits and pieces. i should have some of the basic die sets ready to ship by the middle/end of may, and i should have prices for those sets soon as well. custom profiles other than the ones listed here, PM me and we'll see what can be done.

i have been asked, and the answer is NO!!!. i will NOT take anyone's hard earned money before i have the tooling and machines set up to produce these pieces, and i have the stuff you want in my hands and ready to ship to you... i am not Preston Tucker.

i have also contacted Ryan about becoming an alliance vendor. if it makes sense to both Ryan and myself, members would get some sort of a "good deal" on all this as well.

17. gsport

gsport

geeee... i thought i was going to read about another dead HF tool

18. I'd like to Have a set like this BUT with a modular configuration . The main dies with change able ends so I could adjust the amount of step.
    Dies for my roller start with 3" round stock and 1" keyed hole
    [​IMG]

19. red baron

red baron
    from o'side

yes I would love dies for the bead roller!!

20. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

shameless bump for the morning croud. . .

21. toreadorxlt

toreadorxlt
    from Nashua, NH

id be all over a set of tipping dies

22. onedge

onedge

Sounds good to me also.

23. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

just a quick update...

it looks like i'm going to (finally) take the plunge and try my hand at being my own boss. some of you know, i got messed up in an accident at work just about two years ago, and my back has been in constant pain since after the operation in june of 2009. my court hearing (the company denied the work comp claim) was in november, and i just got the notice in the mail last friday that i had won. they can still appeal, but my lawyer does not think they will... the judgement is too sound. at any rate, i should be getting my settlement $ before may 5th, which leads me to the next statement.

i'm going to be buying a few machines within the next month and a half, and should be turning these things shortly after. once i have the lathe, mill and tooling installed in my shop out back here, i'll let everyone know that i'll begin taking pre-orders to be sold and shipped as they are ready. first come, first served, but i'll let you all know when i'm ready.

again, i really appreciate all the replies, PMs and email interest i have gotten about this, and the kind words some of you have already said to me as well.

thanks again, Traves

24. FiddyFour

FiddyFour

P.S.

i've gotten the Alliance Vendor application from Ryan (thanks Ryan!) and i'm filling it out as we speak. IF and thats a big if Ryan approves it, i will be giving a pretty decent HAMB alliance discount to members of the alliance... Ryan, if you're watching, i'm filling it out NOW, not that you figure i forgot! lol

25. DRD57

DRD57

I'm interested in some of these.

26. Thirdyfivepickup

Thirdyfivepickup

Glad to hear they ruled in your favor. Back problems suck ass.

27. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Besides a set of tipping dies, a set of edge-rolling dies to round the edge over a piece of wire (like early Ford fenders have) would be good.

Will you be hardening them?

I just did a story with a guy, and he said one of the problems with the HF dies is that they're not super hard like dies from Mittler Brothers or Pro Tools, and if they get a nick in them, they'll transfer that nick.

And congrats on going into business yourself!
    You need the right mindset now: You're "a business man." NOT just a guy who is making parts in his shop out back. BIG difference in mindset... and the way you do things after that.

-Brad

28. Ruiner

Ruiner

Traves, when did you become a machinist? :p...good to hear you're going into business and the settlement worked in your favor...best of luck to you bro...