Register now to get rid of these ads!

Stockton Wheel: Anyone else have bad experiences with them (like me)?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Comet, Jun 4, 2005.

1. I ordered a set of Milner's from Stockton. They told me it would be about 2-3 weeks. After a month, I call since I had not gotten any status or shipping info. They tell me that it was going to chrome and should ship the following week. That was over a month ago (two months since I orginally ordered them). I call every week (except las week since I was on a biz trip) and they tell me the same story. I'm calling them Monday and giving them hell. What really pisses me off is they charged my credit card right away, that was two billing cycles ago. They happily took my money, but I ain't seen or heard anything from them. I hate it when cos. charge your card and back order it, especially when it's such a long delay.
    Have others had such shitty customer service from Stockton?
    Rant off! :mad:

2. DIRTYBIRD

DIRTYBIRD

fuck man that sucks My bud was going to order from them I'll tell him to steer clear.
    Cant you sic the credit card company on them?
    I did that on ebay once and i got my shit and an apology.

3. chrisman

chrisman

I ordered a set on the condition that they would be ready for a specific date, but they were delivered almost three weeks later. That meant I couldn't check them before they were sent over.
    When I got them, I didn't exactly like how they looked. The chrome didn't completely cover the center section, but I had no means to return them at that stage.
    Also, they never replied to any of my messages.

I'd go for Vintiques next time I need a set of steel wheels.

4. lorin

lorin

i called stockton wheel co and they said they had the wheels i needed instock. not too difficult 4 lug chrome smoothies, they said they would hold them for me. they said if i drive down from sacramento they would give me a deal. i drove down on my one day off before billetproof and they dont have my wheels and don,t even have the parts to make them. they didn't even say sorry!

f stockton wheel
    lorin

5. jusjunk

jusjunk
    BANNED
    from Michigan

Call your credit card company. There are way too many people getting money up front for goods they dont have to sell and im pretty sure its illegal. Id also tell the weel company your plans. We had a llittle problem like that with rod parts warehouse. they charged the card didnt ship the parts and we called em told em we were calling the cc company. They didnt like that idea and our parts came really quick
    Dave

6. Tito

Tito
    from Sacramento

My homie called them up to see if they had 4-lug gm smoothies. They said yes, and he drove over there with $ in hand, then they told him they would have to make them. Bullshit. We live about two hours from the place and every time they come to a swap around here, the booth is run by no-tooth tweekers, with a tweek attitude. I know we will never do business with them.
    Erron

7. I used Pete Paulsen... They did a real nice job and were real cheap.. make nice nostalgia wheels and their smoothie styles are SUPER CHEAP.
    http://www.petepaulsen.com/

They promised 3 weeks on delivery and were spot on... I highly recommend them..

As far a stockton goes.. I've hear good things about their quality. I know alot of folks use them... that's all i can chip in...

8. glassguy

glassguy

stockton stuck it my ass too! on a set of chrome wheels that rusted the 1st time i washed them,and were about 5 weeks late. :mad: i dont usually bash anyones bizzness but those pricks really screwed me, so i take any oprotunity to bash them!

9. Paul

Paul
    Editor

I ordered a pair of widened rims with a specific offset and six lug pattern

three months later they came, I jacked up the truck and pulled a wheel to check fit

went to put one on, the fucker had a five lug pattern

five weeks later a got another pair that fit for free.

I will never order anything from them again.

Paul

10. Roothawg

Roothawg

What about Wheel vintiques? I had thought about ordering a set from them, but their catalog online has no prices anywhere and they won't accept emails......

11. chitbox dodge

chitbox dodge
    from dunlap tn

can you put a dispute on the charge? i had a siliar experience with a plumbing supplier who sold me a line of bullshit once. i mean its like any other contract, if you honor your end they have to honor their end.

ill remember this cause i was thinking about some for my coronet.

12. Roothawg

Roothawg

Has anyone ever ordered set of wheels already powdercoated? I have never powdercoated any wheels but I have painted a few sets and they are a real pain to get clean. Just wondering if it's worth the 35 bux per wheel to have it done? Kinda wondering about the finish.....

13. The Shocker

The Shocker

I was thinking of ordering a set of Milner's for my '60 from them.I called yesterday and the guy on the phone was kind of a smartass.I was gunna over look him to get the wheels,but I am not gunna wait two months for my wheels after I pay for them.Piss on them.I guess I will hit the swapmeets.Thanks for warning me about Stockton wheels.

14. Paul

Paul
    Editor

the wheels I ordered came powdercoated, there were dingleberries, you know those little metal beads from the welding, that were not cleaned out where the rim attached to the center and painted in.

I was not impressed.

15. ray

ray
    from colorado

should be cheaper to find a local powdercoater, that way you can inspect the wheels before powdercoat(not like you should have to!) and after and refuse them easier if they are crap.

16. Roothawg

Roothawg

I hav a local powdercoater but I'm thinking it would cost about the same. The only advantage would be the ability to refuse em like Ray said.

17. xtralow

xtralow
    from So Cal

Thanks for the heads up I also was going to order some milners from them & specifically asked about this chrome issue!

The guy claimed they are completely polished out and the centers look perfect!...

I guess I'll be trying vintiques or paulsen?

18. Root, I am a Wheel Vintiques Dealer. Very good service, awesome product. Sometime the chromers slow them down, but they are upfront and tell me when that is an issue.

As for Powdercoating, some plcaes they are cheaper than locally. I know here is more pricey, I ordered some Black ones and the Powder was good.

Carefull on the wires. We ordered some and our powder guy couldnt get the powder to work! I think the bed of RTV that seals the spoke nipple holes contaminated the whole wheel!?!?!? He tried several times, we wet painted them.

If I was ordering wires, I would order them w/o the seal and apply it after coating.

Anyone can feel free to call me at teh shop if you need help. I have sold lots of wheels to HAMBers Wheel Vintiques, American or ET. I DONT charge your card til they ship!!!!!!

I also try not to spam here too much but love to help HAMBers out with a little break.

19. caddydave

caddydave

I live about 5 minutes from Stockton Wheel. I stopped by there a few months ago to get a quote on some wheels. Their qoute was about 40 bucks more PER wheel than Pete Paulsen. They also quoted 4-5 weeks delivery, where Pete Paulsen was like 2-3. I was wondering if they have the parts to make up a wheel how could it possibly take 4-5 weeks to assemble a set of unpainted wheels? I got to wondering if these things are made/ assembled overseas somewhere and shipped over on the slow boat? After reading this thread I now know for sure where I won't be buying my wheels...

20. Roothawg

Roothawg

Thanks T. I'll keep that in mind.

21. draggin'GTO

draggin'GTO

About 7 years ago I wanted a set of 17X8" steel wheels made with stock GM centers so I could run factory dog dish caps.

Wheel Vintiques wouldn't do a custom made wheel, so I called Stockton Wheel. They said sure, but I needed to pay 100% up-front. I asked what the turnaround would be and they said 6 weeks. Cool, sent them my money (personal check).

Played phone tag with them for about 6 months before my wheels ever made it to me. I was fucked because they already had my cash. Three of the four wheels looked the same, the fourth one was 'different'. The factory GM 15" centers were modified to fit the 17" rims (small amount of material added to the OD), the welder/fabricator obviously became lazy and just shlocked wheel number 4 when modifying the center.

I complained and they made me another wheel for free after faxing them a drawing of what the replacement wheel needed to look like. So now I use the 'different' one as a spare.

Fuck Stockton Wheel. Never again. :mad:

22. 40Tudor

40Tudor

Just another dissatisfied customer here.

I sent my own centers to them, took 12 weeks to get wheels. They even tried to tell me that they were keeping them en extra week so they could be in a magazine write-up. I didn't see them until 3 weeks after that.

On the positive side, I did actually get a call from their welder a week before I got the wheels to talk about backspacing - I was asking for more than he felt comfortable with. He seemed competant.

C

23. Bondoboy

Bondoboy

I bought some chrome 17" rallye's from wheel vintiques a few months ago. The service was great and they shipped quick. And the quality was excellent, so why go elsewhere I figure.

24. Torkwrench

Torkwrench

I ordered a set of Milners from Stockton (14x6's, and 14x7's) for my 60. I was told about 5-6 weeks for delivery. It ended up being 6 MONTHS instead. I ordered them through a local speed shop, so I didn't have to pay up front. However, Stockton jacked the shipping and handling way up and screwed me over that way.:mad: When I ordered wheels for the Cameo, I got a set of smoothies from American Racing. Not exactly what I wanted, but they showed up in less than two weeks, without any EXTRA shipping and handling.:) Also, being 6 lugs they only had one bolt pattern, so I can run without the hubcaps. Never again will I order from Stockton.

25. LurkinII

LurkinII

Sorry to hear there are some folks that had or are having a bad time with Stockton. I guess I was lucky. I usually have the bad experience, but my experience with them went fine.

Ordered the Milners. Guy told me about 6 weeks. They actually came early. The guy was helpful in getting the right offset figured out too over the phone.

This was about 1 and 1/2 years ago. Maybe things have changed.

Too bad they have seemed to develop the habit of not meeting their commitments these days. And no communication is unacceptable for me also.

The bad experiences will get out about the folks that are flakey and the good about dealers will get out too and they will reap the benefits.

Now about the companies I had problems with.... Grrrrrrrrr!

26. brandon

brandon

i generally get my steel wheels from coker....because of the shipping cost ....(live in ky ....) but i used a guy out in california ...can't remember if it was wheel smith or who ever.....(will have to ask my buddy ...who had them made....) anyway ....the guy took the order (15x10 reversed with a 5.5/5" patterns) and told me that they would go out the next morning.....and i would have them in a week ....the guy said he makes up the custom stuff at night ....and has them ready to ship the next morning.....sure enough ....they made it to my place in 5 days.....now if i could only remember the name of the place.....hahahh ....seems like they only did rallys and smoothies....but the price was right.....seems like it cost 60 bucks or so a wheel....and cost me 60 to ship the pair......brandon

27. axle

axle
    from Drag City

that is the story of stockton wheel.......they take forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    they fuckin suck and half the time you get something other than what you ordered!
    try "wheel-smith" in santa ana california!

28. TV

TV

Yap, same thing happend to me.--TV

29. The Shocker

The Shocker

I ordered a set of 15 by 6 chrome "OE" wheels for my '60 today from Pete Paulsen.The guy was real helpfull on the phone and for $110.00 each you cant beat the price.He said they would be at my door in 2-3 weeks.I'm glad I didnt buy from Stockton now.

30. 5window

5window

I also ordered my wheels from Paulson. Chrome smoothies with Baby Moon caps (free). I kept checking their website and eventually came up with an offer of free shipping-CA to PA! The wheels came on time-custom backspacing,too and look good. Only problem I had was if you mount tires on 'em,they're yours. One wheel with the tire on was out of center enough to notcie. Got it balanced,tho-even with weights only on the backside. Haven't run it enough to gauge tire wera and the A bounces enough anyway I'll never notice if it's off center. Paulson was really good and helpful on the phone,I'd order again.