Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Suicide Door Security Locks-made my own

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dave Mc, Apr 4, 2011.

1. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

IMG_0216.jpg IMG_0213.jpg IMG_0214.jpg IMG_0212.jpg Security Locks in my 33 Fordor Vicky Convertible Sedan
    I designed and installed the first set of these in 1983,customer with 34 Ford wanted power locks,I wanted manual locks as I think they are more practical,so I made his and installed them,they worked great.So when I built my 33 Fordor I put manual locks in it.First I made all Door Lock Hardware from Stainless Steel including Striker,Plunger,male locater for Dovetail,and Slider/post for the lock and turned lock handles out on a lathe,Some Stainless parts are now available through parts suppliers. but on My 33 Fordor the Dovetail Fastener locations are off center,those they sell are centered for late 33 and 34's.the Lock slider hump is threaded for the handle,the tail of the slider rides through an upholstery clip to give it tension,the upholstery clip slips onto the inner door panel and is secured with a small screw,the solid S.S. Dovetail Locater is drilled for the slider to pass through and maintains it's integrity(no wobble)the sliderpost goe's into a nylon Furniture Caster plug the handle escutcheon is from a 29 Model A door lock,hopefully the photo's will explain the process best,feel free to ask questions if interested
    33 Fordor Vicky Convertible Sedan Build Thread Below
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570915

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  2. shinysideup

shinysideup
    BANNED
    from ruskin, fl

Real clever. What happens if they are extended and the door is shut? Does it hit the body?

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  3. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

only gets close,that was something I had to work on,good question.but no one would do that on purpose.you can adjust the tension on the slider/post by slightly bending the tail .also I filed a little notch in the tail where it homes in both unlocked and locked positions you can see in photo number 2 the post when extended is not quite to the edge of the door,but is in the nylon plug about 1/2 - 3/4 inch when door is closed and locked

Last edited: Apr 4, 2011
    kidcampbell71 likes this.
  4. Old Fart 1941

Old Fart 1941
    from Oswego IL

Great idea. Probably a lot less scary going over bumpy roads.
    Thanks Old Fart 1941

5. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

From one O.F. to another ,Thanks....Bumpy roads is the most AcTiOn I get these days:p

6. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

Was hoping to see a lock that could be locked after the door is closed, as I'm trying to figure out how to lock my car up when I'm not in it. I guess I'll have to go with electric solenoids.

7. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I have produced simliar system with power,you just have to make some linkage and add that solenoid you want.

8. rd martin

rd martin
    from indiana

nice idea on those dave. real clean. anybody else?

9. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

10. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Having had to repair the damage on the 48 after the suicide door popped open those are real interesting to me.

11. Boeing Bomber

Boeing Bomber

I'm repairing my door and quarter panel right now on my '66 Bug that I put suicide doors on. Even with Jetta 3 latches, I felt safe enough. Guess not. may have to incorporate something like this.

12. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

I hate you clever guys! So cool. Too late for a Tech week? Gary

Stogy likes this.
  13. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

I guess there is not enough guys with cars with Suicide Doors to generate enough interest for the Tech Thread ? I have been doing Bodywork since 1962 and have repaired Lots of Flopped Back Doors and twisted pillars,so I'xe had plenty of opportunity to think about a fix for the problem.this works for me,only becomes important after you've had to deal with the damage.

14. badshifter

badshifter

Looks clean. Is it rigged so that the outside door handle releases the latch? It should be in case you ever crash, catch fire or whatever. You don't want to be stuck inside and nobody can get to you if something bad happens.

15. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

33DoorLock.jpg

if it's crashed that hard " God forbid " They might have to break a window to get in and release the lock,but knowing how those Emergency guys work ,they'd probably saw the car in half,or rip the top off :eek:

Last edited: May 23, 2014
  16. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Back up where the rest of the guys can see it , maybe givem some ideas

17. threewindow

threewindow

On my 33 threewindow I put the suicide locks in the kick panels. looks neater than in the doors. I put a small rod on the back that goes through the firewall with a little hook on the end of it. I can lock the right door by raising the hood.Hard to tell there' anything there at all.

18. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

Nice job, I witnessed a Gibbons bodied '34 that the door opened at 65 MPH. The damage was incredible! Totaled door, quarter panel and rear fender. They were able to get parts from Gibbons but the repair costs were huge!

19. Very nice. I have suicide doors on my avatar, and havnt had any problems. A set off stainless ones would sure look nice, but since mine are holding up to some amount of abuse, i'll keep em for now :) thanks for this thread.

20. BZNSRAT

BZNSRAT

The key is remembering to lock them! Dad ruined a door and paint job (flames) on his 34, it was sad day.

I like your design, nice, clean work.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

21. gold03

gold03

Thats pretty cool. Thanks for posting.

22. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Very nicely done !

23. Johnboy34

Johnboy34
    from Seattle,Wa

Dave, I like your locks in the dove tail, looks clean. I may have to ask you some questions about fixing a flooped door, my drivers side door was that way when I found it. Been thinking the only way is to remove the inner panel to get at inside of hinges.

24. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

if the passenger door is OK , you can measure from the front edge of the door to the center of the hinge pin to get the correct measurement for the damaged door , can't take too many measurements . same for the "B" Pillar . measure to the cowl to get the hinge pins the same as the good side .

25. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

BTT For those interested but may not have seen this

26. So-cal Tex

So-cal Tex

Are you selling these as a kit? If so do you have one for '32 3W coupe? What is the cost?

27. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

Not selling them , just sharing the idea . very easy to make your own

28. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

someone asked about these locks today , so here is the scoop again.

29. I have a roadster, no inner door structure, just a wood frame. Dave, have you ever fit your style catch in a roadster? I have been thinking of making something similar but comes from the body side into the door.

30. Dave Mc

Dave Mc

No Chris , I have only installed them on closed cars