Register now to get rid of these ads!

motor is back home

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1oldtimer, Apr 2, 2011.

1. Well the 390 is back home and now I'm working on the C6. I bought a core C6 to rebuild (last year), I cracked it open and found the valve body missing it was so grimy that I figured it was never apart. The local trans shop found another valve body in their parts pile and a shift arm to match mine (I didn't know fords were such a pain to change he shift arm)...........soon the '54 panel will be back on the road :D.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 3, 2011
  2. JimV57

JimV57
    from California

great looking motor! what's it going into and what did you have done to it?

3. Onemansjunk

Onemansjunk
    from Modesto,CA

Good Choice !!!!!! 390 PERFECT-------------------

4. nothing special, just a mild rebuild. it's going in my '54 ford panel truck. (pic of when i first bought it, i don't have any pics on moms computer).

Attached Files:

5. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

Your truck still looks great, I was looking at the photos I took of it 18 months ago just a few days ago, when we met at the broiler.

Hey - does that mean you have to work on your other projects when this one is on the road?????

6. yes it does, I guess me piddling around on it while the engine was being rebuilt was my vacation :D........time to go back on the '36 soon....I hope.

here's a more updated shot of the truck since I'm home now. Not much has changed on the outside.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  7. Love the black paint on the motor.I think you just helped me make up my mind wheather to go with the stock red or black.
    Thanks!

8. Had a minor set back, the side seal on the rear main was leaking. I just got it back from the rebuilder friday and put it in today. made some motor hooks/plates to make the install of the motor/trans waaay easier. my friend flaked out so my mom and girlfriend helped. only thing on the plates i would do different is i made the holes too small (1"), should have gone with 1 3/4".....had to open up the holes for the chain.

Attached Files:

9. 1ot, the engine looks awesome, painted my favorite engine color too. The blasted intake and V/C really set if off nice, great job. TR

10. It's about time!!!!! Gotta haul more cookies!!!!!

11. yea, when you know the rebuilder and he's a busy 1 man show...it takes a little while (but he's meticulous, so it's worth the wait). I was shooting for today so I could tell everyone my mothers day gift was putting the motor in :D.

of course that pic is staged, I didn't want to let go until the motor was in the mounts....the driveway is at a 30%-40% grade :eek:.

Last edited: May 8, 2011
  12. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

Looks good !!

13. more set backs, the rear main side seals still leak but now the motor is in the truck.....and not coming out again. the water pump from flowcooler is a little off from stock and I had to modify the brackets to fit correctly and keep the belts in alignment. The flowcooler instructions say they recommend a wire inside the lower hose, which I can't find one so it's going to get a stainless pipe....also because the outlet on the pump is closer to the belt then the stock pump.........I love aftermarket stuff, not close but close enough :(.

looks like taking it to the LARS swapmeet is out.

14. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

That sucks Dan... sorry buddy!

15. that's life with old cars, not like I'm doing something tough like a chop or frame building like everyone else on here :). I'll just take the '47 again...........

16. Rick Sis

Rick Sis
    from Tulsa OK

It's lookin' real good! I'm sure you'll get it sorted out soon. I think you will be very pleased with it in this truck.
    Whenever I see one of these with the big intake manifold in aluminum, I always wonder how much weight it saves.

17. Chevy54

Chevy54
    from Orange, CA

I just resealed the whole little 283 for the 51 truck im building..Im hoping it is leak free too!

18. Hdonlybob

Hdonlybob

Great lookin' engine....
    And that is an awesome panel it is going in..
    Should be a great ride...
    Good for you,
    Cheers,

19. speedyb

speedyb
    from socal

Good luck ,I dig your truck, great engine choice look forward to seeing it in person

20. 4tford

4tford

Nice motor for your panel. Bumber on the leaky seal.

21. broke my tubing bender tonight............seriously I think this thing has a black cloud over it. anyone know who makes a tight bend tubing bender for 5/16 and 3/8 tube, I have the aluminum blue point one but I want the bends tighter!. I'm thinking about this one:

Attached Files: