Register now to get rid of these ads!

Anti Thief device, that's going to stop or will attract more attention then needed !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by divco13, Apr 1, 2011.

1. While gathering parts for my next project, I found this,
    $ 100.00 wheel lock. Not that it is a stop all, but Damit it will slow them down.

Just think if even one of the rash of car's being stolen, was saved using one of these.

Just think, this as a dog barking in your house when not at home.. You will never know how many time's that Damn dog stoped, your shit from being broken in to!

Link to video below

http://www.etrailer.com/tv-demo_Rackem_wheel_lock_RA25.aspx

[​IMG]

2. gwarren007

gwarren007

3. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Oh well.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011

4. I am impressed it only took 2 post's , for someone to be an ASS !

5. Use four of them... That will make the car next to yours more appealing.

6. big creep

big creep

ok the first video is lame, granted you didnt make them. but they had to flash forward to show you how they broke the lock! they would have been busted by then.

second video, well thats just a crappy lock! and i dont use a bike lock to lock my ride.

third, the getting into a garage, well get rid of windows on your garage! lets see how long it takes that guy to break into the garage then? yes the videos show how you can get into stuff, but it also shows how easy it is to fix the problems!

forgot to say i wouldnt use that tire lock crap on my car. that shit wouldnt stop a pro crook! i would get a gps and lojack! if you love your car as much as the next guy, you would do the same. as for gps blockers, how the hell are they going to know if you have one? they wont! so chances are you can get it back fast if you hide it and dont advertise that its on your car!

7. How many time have you done this? Just thinking!

8. Roothawg

Roothawg

I am thinking a silent, battery powered motion detector and a .40 is what I will use.
    The element of surprise is your frend.

9. VINNIE JAMES

VINNIE JAMES

i use to have a steering wheel lock that you could arm and it was a taser. work well when not on the car too. haha. you can find a video on google

10. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

Divco, I'm just letting you guys know how easy it is to steal something and it was on YouTube. I actually received the garage link from an 84 year old guy in my Early Ford V8 club monthly meeting and for the bike lock, that has been around for years and it DOES work. Your locking device is only as secure as your weakest link.

I really hope that Mikey finds the 34', but it just isn't worth it driving around the country with a GIANT wheel lock to put on your old car every night while on a roadtrip. And I'm pretty sure that it was a "tweeker" or a "pro" that stole that car.

But, if you want to see the wrong way to "steal" a car. Look at this thread.....http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=532361&highlight=stolen+burbank ........I smelled an Insurance issue........Have you ever driven a 2500 Diesel while pulling a load.......it's not easy to "sneak" out of a VERY quiet neighborhood. Just sayin'.

Chris

Oh yea, I apologize for sounding like a dick, but you have to think like a thief to try to discourage them.

11. Johnunit

Johnunit
    from Toronto

I wish I had a brand name, but a friend of mine's severely OT car (ok, a 92 accord *ducks tomato*) has a system where the alarm links to his keyfob. It alerts him if he's within about 500 feet if a window is broken, door is opened, hood is opened, etc. If the alarm goes off, it shows on a little figure of a car WHY the alarm is going off, even if he's out of earshot to hear the alarm at all.

At least on a cluttered-up newer car, it's virtually impossible to find the sensors. Discrete installation is the priority. Cost was something like 2-300 bucks. It's on the list for my car.

12. sodbuster

sodbuster
    from Kansas

I have broke into my own garage twice with this method and I zip-tied it up after I learned how easy it was. And my garage does not have ANY windows in the door.

13. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It won't stop a real thief who probably has the equipment along to defeat about any security measure but it will stop the random opportunist from picking your rig and maybe targeting one that is easier to take.

Anything a guy can do to make it harder for thieves is worth looking into.

14. When I still had The Pusher and I was at the HAMB Drags I just used a drunk passed out in the bed. Worked like a champ. ;)

I worked with a Taiwanese guy in the '80s for awhile who actually had an alarm that would signal a little thing like a beeper. It was good for 3 miles, he had a pretty sweet T/A. One evening at work his beeper went off, he walked out into the lot and shot the guy. Laws were a little tougher back then, I don't think they let him take the T/A with him when they deported him.

Fire watch, tire boots, whatever. One of you fellas needs to start a web site dedicated to figuring out how to protect your stuff. I really like the drama but these threads are getting a little old, don't ya think.

15. big creep

big creep

x2 yep!

16. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Not laughing..or making any joke
    but if they want that off, all they need is this

and before any smart remarks, its a wrecking bar we use at work to remove brick, and move thick steel plates with

you have to stay one step ahead of them..just because one has the knowledge of how "they" do it..does not make him one of "them"

Im with the silent alarm and a .40 cal, or 12 gauge crowd

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2011
  17. adamshumard

adamshumard

I think a bomb that goes off within 15 seconds of opening the door unless disarmed is the ticket. I may not have a ride afterwards but the asshole that tried to take my car won't have a face. So I think I would still win.

18. big creep

big creep

you made me spit up my drink as i was reading this! ahahahahaha! lmao!!!

19. terryr

terryr
    from earth

Sounds like James Bond For Your Eyes Only. The henchman reads the 'burglar alarmed' sign on Bonds Lotus and laughs and breaks the window, and the whole car blows up!!

20. Beef Stew

Beef Stew
    from So Cal

this might be a hit or miss but my wife is a runner and uses a garmin gps thing to track her miles and routes. she got an email from garmin with some new product info and there is something called a gtu 10. basically a tracking device that can be put on anything. might be worth looking into.

21. narlee

narlee

My memory isn't good enough for one of those.

22. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Yeah, they got old really quick. I'm wondering if maybe there couldn't be an alliance vendor who sold those GPS tracking units. Maybe the company that sells that Smart Tracker unit somebody linked in one of the threads would be interested.

The reason I suggest this is it's almost impossible to prevent a car from being stolen by a professional thief, but with the GPS recovery unit the police could have a chance to recover it and catch the thieves.

23. shmoozo

shmoozo
    from Media, PA

Okay, that would be the Garmin GTU 10.

Looks like it might be just the thing for some of these kinds of applications.

If it can be hooked up to recharge off the vehicle's electrical system to keep it from needed to be removed and recharged all the time it could be just the ticket for an application like this. (It apparently charges through a USB connector, so that seems possible.)

:cool:

24. rainhater1

rainhater1
    BANNED
    from az

Low Jack makes one that has a battery self contained,, only problem is that there isn't any alert when it moves. They are making a special price now.

25. big creep

big creep

anything is better than nothing! doing nothing then you have no right to cry about your stuff getting stolen, i know it sucks but its the world we live in now! people are out there that dont want to work hard like the rest of us, they will just take our stuff thinking its ok! we need to change the laws, an eye for an eye, you would see how quick these crooks would stop taking other peoples property.

26. c-10 simplex

c-10 simplex

i don't have time right now to thoroughly investigate but there are certain sound frequencies that cause intense, but not permanent or harmful pain. i mean serious intense pain to the point where you're just not going to continue to try to steal the car.

You may want to look into this. i mean this shit will stop even a tow truck.

27. brekteffect

brekteffect

kind of O/T, but the service truck I worked out of at a previous job often sat in the middle of nowhere at job sites on the weekends. My tool cabinet was locked up like a bank vault after I built my own latch system, but the torch cabinet could be opened by just yanking on the latch really hard. So to keep someone from getting smart and torching my doors off my tool cabinet and taking all my stuff I just kept a full plastic gas can with no cap on it on top of my tool box in the cabinet. Probably not an OSHA or MSHA approved way of storing a gas can but man would that ruin a thief's day....or decade.

28. 8-9-duck

8-9-duck

electrric fuel shut off, or seperate switch for electric pumps. might slow'em down.

29. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

I'M thinking about something draggin from the car that will get the cops called like a chain with a steel block bouncing around...