Register now to get rid of these ads!

1957 Oberhausen Supercharger

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by unclescooby, Jun 2, 2005.

1. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

2. unclescooby

unclescooby
    from indy

I talked to the owner of this who is a very cool guy that also made me very jealous by picking up a complete Potvin Supercharged sbc with six dueces for $2500 at a local estate auction. He is going to copy all the literature and send it to me. I've still got the Algon literature and the Latham literature (that i still need to get to a few guys on here...sorry for the delay) so if anyone is interested, I'll post it up when I get it. I dig this wacky old speed stuff. You might have guessed that by now.

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

that say " dragster" on it?

theres one in the speedway collection < of course > and they said it ran off a starter motor for drag race use only. figureing the starter motors not going to take more then 30 seconds of abuse. thus the dragster name.

--all from the speedway tour guide that didnt seem to know a whole lot about anything that wasnt related to his curent 40 ford sedan--so im not saying its all correct info

4. The reason nobody's hardly ever seen one is they didn't work. Originally, were to be run from a starter motor. Long story short: an electric motor from the 50's on a car with a generator isn't going to even begin to develop enough pressure to accomplish anything. One of the biggest internet scams going today is selling plans to Honda owners to make an "electric supercharger", so I guess not too much is new. All that said, I'd love to have one on my Y-block 292 just because it's so wierd looking!

Machine the castings yourself -- those were the days!!:rolleyes:

P.S. Scoob, you said it's only the second time you've seen one. Same for me. My first time was maybe 3 years ago, also on eBay. I didn't want to bid more than $200 for it and it went for like $240. Strange, though, it was also a raw unassembled one and I recall seeing a few pages of the instructions that may have also been posted w/the pics.

5. junk-junkie

junk-junkie
    from Arvada CO

The claims are ridiculous. 4hp is squat for driving any real kind of compressor... and a DIY casting with what looks like a straight blade sump-pump impeller is not a compressor.

Looks cool though. Not worth $800+ for an intake restriction.

-----

Anyone want to buy some magnets for your fuel line?
    How about some Splitfires?
    Slick 50 filter clogger *cough* oops I mean oil treatment?
    Get it now! UP TO 1000hp increases! (note, "up to" includes small numbers like zero)

/9pm show is totally different from the 7pm show

6. Reprisal

Reprisal

*busts out calc.exe*

4hp...assuming 12 volts, 100% efficiency... 248 AMPS! battery won't last long like that;) bumping it up to 48 volts would bring it down to 62 amps, but with only 4 hp driving the blower the weight of the batteries would probably nullify any horsepower gains:p

7. squirrel

squirrel

think about what's happenning here. If you're making boost, then you can only accelerate for a little while before you run out of road (assuming you're not trying to set a LSR). So sucking 250 amps for the 15 seconds it takes to get going fast is just like starting the engine. No big deal.

but I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't make much boost at only 4hp power draw on the motor....

8. krooser

krooser

My neighbor had a new 1957 Oberhausen 2 door hardtop.....he liked it!