Register now to get rid of these ads!

She divorced me, so I fell in love with an 58 F100. Build Time

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by bird7263, Mar 27, 2011.

1. bird7263

bird7263

Hey guys. My name is Ryan. I hale from Portland Oregon. Back in August of 2010 my wife and I called it quits after 4 years. Its a good thing. But before we split I had to sell my beautiful 66 Chev C10 Baggged Short Step. Years of work, money and time..gone.

So, I found this lil 58 BBW/SWB in a tow yard in Sherwood. Its titled as a 58 but is has a 60 front clip (Right?) It was about bound for the crusher. I paid $1000 for it. It has a 351m/C4 in it. I took it to my friend of 20 years Jake at The Drop Shop. He knows my situation and knows I am broke after my split. So he donated some time. He was able to help me put in a c-notch kit, flip the axle in the rear, run through the brakes and put new shocks on her.

As for the front, I am wanting to leave it a tail dragger, so I am gonna redo the front springs, new shocks, get her down a few inches and see how I like it. I am going to leave it straight axle.

My childhood friend Jeff, who restores classic Fords for a living in Beavercreek is helping me with all the rest. The motor runs and after adding fluid the tranny shifts. Its a runner. We plan on finishing he interior, we are gonna rewire the thing from front to back, new steel wheels, white walls, custom shifter, steering wheel, new gauges, and he is gonna top it off by doing a quick scratch and squirt in a flat color. We have not decided on a color yet but we are gonna do some scallops and some door logos for my custom Harley Shop.

I have never owned a classic Ford before. I have always been a GM guy my whole life. But I had to rescue this ol girl. I am open to feed back, want some ideas and am in need of parts. Thanks for your time and hope to hear from you guys.

Attached Files:

2. jaz

jaz
    from London, UK

Welcome, great truck and introduction

3. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

As I get older ,Been with my wife 11 or so years ,Id trade her in on a good project...Your better off ,

4. hershambob

hershambob

5. poncho62

poncho62
    BANNED

Welcome.......I've been with my old woman for 36 years, can I trade her for 4 projects.....and a 25 year old? Better not, would never get to the projects......lol

6. bird7263

bird7263

Been looking at this over and over and over. I am getting some great ideas. I am looking for a front bumper right now. I know its more important to get it driver but I still gotta make it look good.. Lol. I also need a center hood badge. I am for sure going with the 50 Pontiac Tailights.

The Portland Swap meet is this weekend. You should see my parts list. Christ, it keeps growing.

7. Silhouettes 57

Silhouettes 57

Gotta love them old Fords and that looks like a nice one big back window and all.
    I lost my '58 F100 BBW when I divorced my 2nd wife.....Bummer!
    Good luck with it and welcome aboard the H.A.M.B.

8. madgrinder

madgrinder

I had a '57 Effie with the big window... fun truck!

Welcome!

9. I love those trucks. Kennedy's dad has one. We drove it to Columbus last year.

With the back that low though, I'd HAVE to drop the front to match!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

JH

10. bird7263

bird7263

I like the stance on that one.. I still want the front a little higher then the rear.. IMO though. I like them all way really.

11. El Gordo

El Gordo

In my best Rodney Dangerfield voice :eek:

" I got an old truck for my wife,

It was a good trade"

You Too :cool:

12. DRUGASM

DRUGASM

I got rid of mine after about 4 years. Kept my project, lost everything else.... but amazingly found my smile. Good luck on the truck and welcome to the board.

13. bird7263

bird7263

Thanks guys for support. Here is a pic of my baby I sold just prior to my divorce.

Attached Files:

14. ctmcca

ctmcca

Nice truck and for a good price. Look forward to see how finish it out.

Chris

15. jaygryph

jaygryph
    from oregon

Check out the Beavercreek Auto Salvage yard. They have several of this body style truck from what I remember seeing. Easy to find the place, has a red corvette about 15ft in the air as a sign.

Good luck with the build.

There are several HAMBers in beavercreek actually.

16. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

good luck with the truck it looks like a good ride , my ex g/f told me i had to get rid of everything and move in with her , i got rid of her and bought a dyna superglide ,

17. Larry W

Larry W
    from kansas

Man they would both kill you! HA HA.

18. That's gonna be sweet! Keep at it.

19. I have a nice front bumper and center hood badge and can bring em to the Portland swap meet...PM me if your interested. I am parting out a whole 60 1/2 ton pickup

20. IRON MAIDEN

IRON MAIDEN

Went through the same thing a few years back. 23 years with my high school sweetheart only for her to do a 180 on me. Life goes on. It's tough with kids though. Good luck to you. Right after my split, I knew I had to act fast. I hit up my ex's old man, asking him if I could have his old pickup to build a Hot Rod with his 2 Grandsons ; ) Yeah, I used them to my advantage ; ) So he gave me the truck, my parting gift so to speak. A piece of joy from a sad time of my life. It's been a great distraction and keeps my head straight. it's a 46' International "Harvester of Sorrow"
    Good luck with your build.

21. Left Turn

Left Turn
    Member Emeritus
    from Omaha, NE

love the 57-60 fords..... 6-7 years ago I had a '60 short box small window, turqouise white interior, 223 4spd... wasn't in the greatest shape, didn't have any money.. (14yrs old, lol) dad said I should get somethin' easier to fix... so it went away.. had a '59 F600 and a 57 F750 too...

I added a pic that a friend drew up for me (Cory Vaughn, customcory on here).. it'll get done someday.. just need to find a decent truck.

Attached Files:

22. Kerry67

Kerry67

That is a great looking truck.....Nice !

23. bird7263

bird7263

Any of you Boys going to the Portland Swap meet this year? I go every year and love. I think between the track and the Expo Center now its the country's largest swap meet.I know for years it was the biggest west of the Mississippi, but with the track now.... crazy. . Its gonna be different this year with the economy. I am curious to see prices.

24. I'll be there!

25. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

Hey Ryan, sweet truck man. If it turns out half as nice as the Chevy was, you'll be sittin' pretty.

See you at the swap!

26. ripsrides

ripsrides

i had 60 model long bed back when i was 18, bright red I blew the engine i bought a ford wagon for engine but traded it for caddy with wiring prolbems so in went caddy motor was a blast. I traded it for 54 chebby 2door sedan good luck with project i had alot of fun with mine

27. BOWTIE BROWN

BOWTIE BROWN

Nice swap....next one least try to get a chevy .
    "AND THE BOWTIE ROLLS ON"

28. sololobo

sololobo

The little Ford looks like a great save from doom. I have a new appreciation for that body style. My friend C.J. and her hunk o burning love in Omaha have a great 58 that turned me on to them. Go for it, great start with the stance. Just remember "tits or tires it will cost ya money" and you will be fine. ~sololobo~

29. skyrodder

skyrodder

I Like it! even the Stance

30. casteel

casteel
    from Ardmore

Love the 58, I Hope to do a 57 next!