Register now to get rid of these ads!

How to radius rear wheel wells?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buffaloracer, Jun 1, 2005.

1. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

I'd like to radius the rear wheel wells on my some day to be finished 1952 Chevrolet gasser. Have looked but haven't found a tech on the subject. Any suggestions on how to lay it out and how to finish it?
    Thanks.
    Pete

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

3. Slag Kustom

Slag Kustom

most of the old race cars that i have fixed the rotting off radiused wheel wells where just cut out in an arc from the wheel center the electrical conduit brazed around the edge. I repaired them the same way but miged them in and blended them into the body.

4. Circus Bear

Circus Bear

There's aleays the good old fashions 'baseball bat rolled over the tire trick.

5. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tingler. That is almost exactly what I did with my Henry J. The only exception being I used a rim to hang the string to..

Gimme a minute and I'll find some pics..

-Abone.

6. tootallrodder

tootallrodder
    Member Emeritus

Von Tingler has it right. I actually used an axle puller to give me a true center of the axle and used a string and a sharpy. when I was happy with the marked radius I used my Cheap Plasma cutter and a wire (stronger than the string) to do the cutting.

To finish off the cut I used 1/2" diameter Hydraulic tubing which I bent over the outside diameter of a tire.

This was then welded to the cut edge of the fender to give a nice rounded edge. It looks like the rolled fender lip.

7. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Thanks for all of the quick help. Most of it makes perfect sense. Where do you position the tubing? Center of the cut, to the inside, or to the outside?
    Pete

8. flamedabone

flamedabone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Tootall..I used 1/2 hydraulic tubing also.....happened to be some in the shit pile at work...

Here is the only pic I could find. Basicly, I marked the radius using the string and Sharpie method, then cut out the offending 1/4 panel with a jig saw.

Next, I bent some 1/2 tibing over the tire to give it the general shape, then welded it to the 1/4. Finished weld, grind, bondo, repeat if nessesary.

-Abone.

9. Tha Driver

Tha Driver
    BANNED
    from S.E. USA

Depends on whether you want a flare or not. Best tubing to use is steel hydraulic (brake line) - conduit is galvanized & you know what a mess that can be.
    You can also use old VW fenders - just cut out as much as you need & weld it in. Instant pre-made lip. :)
    ~ Paul
    aka "Tha Driver"

Giggle Cream - it makes dessert *funny*!

10. Good info guys, thanks. Buffaloracer, how far along are you on your gasser?; I'm considering buildin my 52 Chev in the gasser style also. Got any info or pics? Thanks

11. Short Bull

Short Bull

Pretty much everything has been said.......although at one time I considered using 1987 Volvo 240 front fenders.

[​IMG]

12. buffaloracer

buffaloracer
    from kansas

Rusty1,
    Sorry, no pictures. Keep looking at digital cameras and then buying something else.

To all,
    Thanks for the help.
    Pete

13. Squablow

Squablow

I would think it would look nice if you got another set of front fenders and used the lips from them, then the front would match the back. The conduit method really looks 60's style, though.