Register now to get rid of these ads!

History Larry Watson's Personal Photo Collection

Discussion in 'Traditional Customs' started by Rikster, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Rikster

Rikster

In Kustoms Illustrated issue #28 we have started a new series of articles on the Larry Watson Photo Collection. A collection of absolutely amazing photos and snapshots. I'm busy working on the second installment of this article for Kustoms Illustrated #29, and I know the fans will love the photos I have selected for this.

Since there are so many photos in this collection there is no way these can all be printed in the magazine, or even in books. So I have started to share some of them on my daily post on my Facebook. And also on my Custom Car Photo Archive site.

If you are a Larry Watson fan.... check them out... you will not be disappointed.

Here is a selection of what has been posted. There are photo captions on both the Facebook an my site.

And don't forget to pick up a copy of Kustoms Illustrator to see the best photos of the collection in print.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(top) This is a really cool photo of the Shop from where Bill DeCarr worked.
    In the photo we can see Larry's 1959 Caddy parked in front of the shop.
    We can also see Terry Holloway's 1957 Plymouth, and that car is most likely in for a redo at Bill's shop. The car was first painted in this wonderful olive green with beige, and was later redone with new molded in with bumperete front- and rear-end. It is parked on the left side in this photo. There is another 59 Caddy, and what looks like a 1955? Buick and a 1959 Chevy, all crammed in in front of the Ed's Auto Service Shop. This is the Shop that Bill DeCarr took over from Ed Schelhaas, and Larry would rent a spray booth from Bill. Bill and Larry where very good friends... like brothers.

[​IMG]

Larry's Firestone Blvd. Shop.

[​IMG]

(top) This very clean 1953 Ford Convertible was painted by Larry in one of his trademark outline paneled paint jobs. This time in candy red over gold with - hard to see in this photo - white striping. The car had been mildly customized with de-chromed and shaved body. Custom hubcaps and an aftermarket tube grille. Larry's shop was is the perfect backdrop...

[​IMG]

(Top) Larry Watson painted Ron Aguirre's Corvette the "X-Sonic" several times. This Platinum Pearl and Royal candy blue fogging version was done in 1963. Larry took this photo of the car and must have really liked it. Most likely it was hanging on his shop or office wall for a years hence the faded colors.

[​IMG]

(Top) Here is another photo of the Bill DeCarr Shop (former Ed Schelhaas) where Larry rented a space to paint his Custom Cars. I now have been able to identify this as the shop located at 10116 Artesia Boulevard, Bellflower, CA. and this was around 1960. The car is a wonderful mild customized 1958 Chevy owned by Dave Roberson. Painted Cherry burgundy over platinum pearl. Front of the side trim is swapped with a rear fender piece. Nice sculptured front fender tops. The interior is done in wonderful white tuck&roll. And we can see the Johnny Zupan/Bettancourt Mercury sitting against the wall behind the car. The building which is actually next door to Bill and Larry's shop is still standing today, and so is the shop.

[​IMG]

(Top) Here is a photo of bike that Larry painting. The paint almost looks like a semi gloss black, but in fact it is a pearl or platinum black. In the background we can see the 1955 Studebaker of Dick Gonzales....

[​IMG]

(Top) This photo, taken at another Watson Shop shows the Watson painted Jaguar for H.O. MacLean. The paint job in Candy Gold cost a staggering $165.00... In the back ground we can see Jim Streets (Skonzakis) Golden Sahara truck. This was the truck Jim got to drive around the Golden Sahara. Bill DeCarr customized it with among other things a 1960 Mercury grille, and Larry Watson painted it. This is the first version of the truck, later on it was redone with more custom work, and a flake gold paint-job.

[​IMG]

(Top) Another very interesting photo of the Artesia Blvd. shop is this one where Ed Roth is pushing his Rotar around. Perhaps pushing it into Larry's Paint booth with is at the end of this drive way...
    We can see the Jeep again on the right side, and the hay trucks across the street.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  2. These are great pictures Rik,thanks for taking the time to do this so everyone can see these great pieces of history.

3. Slim Pickens

Slim Pickens

Each photo blows my mind. Thanks for sharing BIG TIME. Thanks Rik. Slim

4. BLUE HEMI

BLUE HEMI
    from new jersey

5. Coooll. Thanks Rik.

6. Very cool. Look forward to seeing more. Thanks Rik!

7. Kripfink

Kripfink
    Member Emeritus

My absolute favourite period in Kustom history!Very cool.
    Paul

8. ol'chevy

ol'chevy

Cool stuff. You can see where they were still figuring it out on some.

9. 76cam

76cam

Awsome that box truck had to be the coolest.With that paint job on it. Thanks for sharing.

10. Harms Way

Harms Way

Very-Very Cool !

11. good stuff thanks

12. This is why we waited for the magazines to hit the stands back east, to see what was happening in California.

13. finkd

finkd
    Member Emeritus

THANKS RIK !!! keep em coming, I love all thses old pics. thanks soo much, for all your hard work and time. It is very important to get thses pics out for everyone to enjoy. jeff

14. 49toad

49toad

Thinks again Rik. With you and Kustoms Illustrated teaming up I can't wait for each issue. These photos show what " Old School " really was. Thanks again.

15. Wow, the next best thing to being there! Thanks for posting Rikster. E

Last edited: Mar 25, 2011
  16. model.A.keith

model.A.keith

Thanks Rik...........

Love the 'Roth shot'

Do you know anything about the 'Toad'..............??

17. ZomBrian

ZomBrian
    from in IN

DIG IT! Pictures of Watson's work really help illustrate the attitude and flair of the Technicolor revolution going on in the world at that time! Awesome. I'm gonna enjoy this.:D

18. 65Riviera

65Riviera

Cool, thanx Rik. Love me some color shots..

19. These are some great shots Rik. Thank you!

20. Wow great pictures Rik. Thanks so much for taking the time to post them.

21. RDR

RDR

Thank you Rik...WATSON LIVES ON!!!

22. Jim Bouchard

Jim Bouchard

Thanks Rik. Great pic's. I can just hear Larry now sayin' all those colors names and how he mixed them up. Talking about the Commie paint of today!

23. koolkemp

koolkemp

Keep them coming Rik, I have been enjoying them on Facebook !

24. bubba67

bubba67
    from NJ

Thanks Rik, awesome pics.

25. Eryk

Eryk

Thanks Rik.

And Thanks Roger!! ;)

26. hotrd32

hotrd32
    from WA

Absolutely amazing stuff Rik....did I miss the dates or are there any for the pics?

27. Dat Dirty Rat

Dat Dirty Rat

GOd i LOVE that 58...if i remember right it was in one of the mags waaay back but in black and white...its nice to see the color shot!!

28. Hot Rod Nut

Hot Rod Nut

That pic of Big Daddy is WILD! Thanks

29. Rikster

Rikster

Some of the photos have dates on them.. but most of them not.
    They range from 1956 to the late 1970's (and even later than that)

Apparently Larry took many photos, and luckily for us he kept most of them in his personal collection. Some of the photos are snapshots, fuzzy, out of focus, but even those are still amazing to see. Others are really nice and crisp, and are of great value to relive this very important period in the Custom Car history.

30. Rocky Famoso

Rocky Famoso
    BANNED

Thanks Rik, adding this thread to the Larry Watson fan club site on the H.A.M.B.