Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-21-2011, 06:27 AM   #1
TDWZ28
Grenade Inspector

Default Hemi core (freeze) plugs

I fired up my 392 and had 3 of the core plugs leak. They must not have been installed right, cause 1 blew right out of the block. Hot Heads makes a set out of mild stainless that look pretty good. Anyone use them?

http://hothemiheads.com/main_caps/fr...stainless.html
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 06:28 AM   #2
345 DeSoto

Default Re: Hemi core (freeze) plugs

For as much as you're going to run the engine, go to NAPA and get the regular steel ones.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:45 AM   #3
Mr48chev
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 345 DeSoto View Post
For as much as you're going to run the engine, go to NAPA and get the regular steel ones.
Or a set of brass ones intended for marine applications.

They aren't that hard to install correctly and I've never had problems with stock style freeze plugs in any engine I have worked on. Put a bit of #2 Permatex in the hole or around the edge of the plug and drive it in using a driver or something the correct size for a driver.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:16 AM   #4
deuce354
Grenade Inspector

I used brass ones from NAPA, a slight coating of JB weld on the plug. Hold the round end of a ball peen hammer on the center of the plug, Hit the flat end of the hammer with another hammer to make a dimple in the plug. This expands the plug. Did mine 12 years ago Successfully
Old 03-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #5
deuce354
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce354 View Post
I used brass ones from NAPA, a slight coating of JB weld on the plug. Hold the round end of a ball peen hammer on the center of the plug, Hit the flat end of the hammer with another hammer to make a dimple in the plug. This expands the plug. Did mine 12 years ago Successfully
I forgot to mention these are disk type plugs , NOT cup type plugs
Old 03-21-2011, 09:32 AM   #6
George
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by deuce354 View Post
What he said!
Old 03-21-2011, 09:47 AM   #7
bangngears

Stock Hemi freeze plugs suck,they were not designed very well,especially when you have a Chevy water pump on the Hemi.I would put mechanical freeze plugs in and feel comfortable they will not fail out on the road. Been there and was not fun,luckily i was close to home.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:00 AM   #8
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bangngears View Post
Stock Hemi freeze plugs suck,they were not designed very well,especially when you have a Chevy water pump on the Hemi.I would put mechanical freeze plugs in and feel comfortable they will not fail out on the road. Been there and was not fun,luckily i was close to home.

WTF? Do you actually believe that the water pump is responsible for the system pressure?

The disc style 'sucks' only if you don't know how to install them.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Hansen.pdf
Old 03-21-2011, 10:13 AM   #9
Dreddybear
Old School HAMBer

I've had success with indian head around the plug.
online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
speedyb

Funny, I just pulled a 392 out of a 57 imperial and It had all of the original soft plugs still in place and leak free, Install the new ones correctly w/a little dab of leak lock around the edge.
Old 03-21-2011, 10:39 AM   #11
scootermcrad
Alliance Member

Standard disc type... Nothing fancy. Installed correctly and they should last forever.

Clean up the ID of the plug bore with a fine grit flap wheel or sanding drum. Don't take too much off or the disc won't over seat.

Apply sealer or JB Weld around the bore.

I use a piece of 1" diameter solid round stock and a big ass hammer to set it. The way mentioned above will work just as well. Needs a couple good solid whacks! Then wipe off any extra sealer after the install. If you use something silicone based, know that paint will not stick to it. JB Weld is a good way to go.

My blog:
scootermcrad.blogspot.com
Old 03-21-2011, 10:54 AM   #12
TDWZ28
Grenade Inspector

Thanks for the replies everyone. I put a stock steel one back in it. I used the aviation perma-tex sealer and a piece of 1" round stock with a rounded end on it for a punch. Warmed the engine up and it is holding.

Nice pictures scootermcrad! I appreciate it.
Old 03-21-2011, 11:05 AM   #13
tig master
Grenade Inspector

Perma tex is the answer

Tig
Old 03-21-2011, 11:10 AM   #14
Ebbsspeed
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73RR View Post
WTF? Do you actually believe that the water pump is responsible for the system pressure?

The disc style 'sucks' only if you don't know how to install them.

There are actually two sources of cooling system pressure in a running engine. The one we all are familiar with is the pressure from heated coolant expanding, and trying to turn into steam. The second source of pressure (in the engine not the radiator) is the spinning water pump. It is pushing coolant through a system that has restrictions, ie, the thermostat, and when the thermostat is closed the water pump does create some pressure. If it didn't, the coolant wouldn't circulate.

Proof? I witnessed it on a friends car last summer. Freshly rebuilt 327 Chevrolet, with plenty of power-enhancing internals and bolt-ons. He had about 500 miles on the engine, and decided to give it a little extra hard push to see what it would do. He wound it up tight leaving a stoplight, and the impeller cover gasket on the back of the water pump blew out. Where did that pressure come from?
Old 03-21-2011, 11:42 AM   #15
73RR
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsspeed View Post
There are actually two sources of cooling system pressure in a running engine. The one we all are familiar with is the pressure from heated coolant expanding, and trying to turn into steam. The second source of pressure (in the engine not the radiator) is the spinning water pump. It is pushing coolant through a system that has restrictions, ie, the thermostat, and when the thermostat is closed the water pump does create some pressure. If it didn't, the coolant wouldn't circulate.

Proof? I witnessed it on a friends car last summer. Freshly rebuilt 327 Chevrolet, with plenty of power-enhancing internals and bolt-ons. He had about 500 miles on the engine, and decided to give it a little extra hard push to see what it would do. He wound it up tight leaving a stoplight, and the impeller cover gasket on the back of the water pump blew out. Where did that pressure come from?

The pressure he saw was localized, the same kind of 'pressure' that builds when a pump cavitates. If he/you were to measure the 'pressure' increase downstream of the impeller you could also measure a similar 'pressure' decrease upstream. This is how pumps create 'lift', by producing a low pressure zone that the available fluid wants to fill. It is a closed system, you cannot just 'make' 17lbs of system pressure without an external force (heat). Yes, if you spin the pump long enough and hard enough you will create some heat but the impeller will be dead long before you build 17lbs pressure.

http://www.discoverthenetworks.org/Articles/Hansen.pdf
Old 03-21-2011, 11:47 AM   #16
ajmopar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebbsspeed View Post
He had about 500 miles on the engine, and decided to give it a little extra hard push to see what it would do. He wound it up tight leaving a stoplight, and the impeller cover gasket on the back of the water pump blew out. Where did that pressure come from?
Probably his leaking head gaskets.
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM   #17
Ebbsspeed
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 73RR View Post
The pressure he saw was localized, the same kind of 'pressure' that builds when a pump cavitates. If he/you were to measure the 'pressure' increase downstream of the impeller you could also measure a similar 'pressure' decrease upstream. This is how pumps create 'lift', by producing a low pressure zone that the available fluid wants to fill. It is a closed system, you cannot just 'make' 17lbs of system pressure without an external force (heat). Yes, if you spin the pump long enough and hard enough you will create some heat but the impeller will be dead long before you build 17lbs pressure.

If you read your response carefully, you will see that we are saying the same thing. There is system pressure from the heated coolant, and there is localized pressure between the water pump and the thermostat. Compared to atmospheric pressure, there can be higher pressures at the "high" side of the pump than the pressure in the radiator.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmopar View Post
Probably his leaking head gaskets.
Pretty good head gasket trick, in that they resealed themselves. We thought it might have been a head gasket failure that did it, but a compression test showed otherwise.

Last edited by Ebbsspeed; 03-23-2011 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:04 PM   #18
bangngears

In response to 77RR,as a matter of fact i do blame the Chevy water pump.Both times when i blew out a stock Hemi freeze plug it was because of a WOT blast down the boulevard.Now you will never convince me a freeze plug installed by exspanding it with a blow from a hammer on a dowel pin is as good as a mechanical freeze plug.Most of the racers back in the day had mechanical freeze plugs because stockers could not be trusted.The same freeze plug on 2 differant engines came out,middle plug on passenger side.If it works for you thats fine.Hope you dont have to learn the hard way.I have peace of mind with my mechanical freeze plugs.

Last edited by bangngears; 07-04-2011 at 06:10 PM. Reason: correction
Old 02-29-2012, 09:15 AM   #19
willys36

I drove my Willys for the first time in about a year this morning and blew the middle plug on the dirver's side for the third time in my 331 block. The Hemi hammer-in plugs are not a very good design, ast least for a block that has 60 years on it. Will hammer in another one but use epoxy this time. And believe me the water pump can add signficant pressure in the block behind even an open thermostat. First time I blew the plug was when I was cruising at temp and hit the throttle; BOOM steam everywhere!!
Old 02-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #20
racer-x

for a stock application if installed correctly the stockers should be fine. problems can arise when more power is built in the engine. the hot heads plugs are far superior to stockers. i had my car on the chassis dyno and blew out three stockers. if i was on the track and that happened i would have totaled the car. since i have installed the hot heads plugs i have had no more problems. the block only needs to flex a little bit to release the tension on the plug. mopar circle track racers used to drill and tap the block then bolt a metal strap across the plugs to hold them in. core shift,rust and flex all can release a stock plug. they are cheap insurance as far as im conserned. its just not worth the risk. why go cheap now on your build? how much money do you have in your car right now where you cant aford the best parts? if there was never a problem with the stock plugs no one would have spent the time to invent a better plug.
online   Reply With Quote