Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-20-2011, 12:29 PM   #1
langy
Old School HAMBer

Default My Willys Coupe build

I will start by saying I will be using a Fibreglass body, Here in England there isn't much chance of finding a Willys shell and the fibreglass bodys that are available are pretty rubbish.

This will also be a bit of a budget build but hopefully look Ok.

A chance came up to take a mould off an imported fibreglass american body that was known to be a good mould so a mould was made and here is the first body out. The doors & trunk are moulded in 2 halfs to make the fitment of hinges, locks and window mechanisms easier to install.

Pic by Martin Drake

Parts list so far is

GRP 41 Willys bodyshell
1948-58 FX3 Taxi chassis
Cadillac 500ci engine/TH400 auto
9" Ford axle
4.5" x 15 Ansen slot mags (front) 5 x 4.75" pattern
8.5" x 15 Ansen slot mags (rear) 5 x 4.75" pattern
Vega steering box

As you can imagine Willys chassis's are bit thin on the ground here so I will be using a 1948 FX3 London taxi chassis, Yep I know its an unusual choice but its already boxed and has a forged front axle and parallel leaf springs and looks old
The frame i picked up had been cut into several pieces for storage So will be put on the chassis jig after its sand blasted ready to be welded back together.

The front axle is quite a nice looking thing with just a few lumps and bumps that can be ground off. I will also be drilling it.
The front semi elliptics should cope with the added weight of the V8 Cadillac 500 i'm using as its a little further back than the 2.5 oil burner, If its a problem its easy to add leaves or get the springs uprated.

I'm going to deal with the front axle first, The stock rod operated brake obviously had to go along with the spindles, the spindles could be modified to accept other brakes/hubs but i found with a simple mod and spacer 37-41 early Ford spindles will fit a treat and allow the fitting of either 40 Ford or F100 drum brakes or if you wish a 11" GM brake kit.

The main mod is with the kingpins, on the FX3 axle the kingpins measure 0.875" the Early ford measure 0.811", The mod will be to drill out the axle boss to 1" and then ream to accept a sleeve to take it down to the ford kingpin size.

There is also a difference in the axle boss thickness, The FX3 is 2.152" whereas the Ford spindles are 2.914", A spacer approx .250" will take up the extra space and if fitted below the axle boss will give a little extra lift to the frontend

The kingpin angle is the same on both so we got pretty lucky there

Checkout my Willys project here http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572303

Last edited by langy; 07-26-2012 at 02:24 PM.
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 12:37 PM   #2
langy
Old School HAMBer

Default Re: My Willys Coupe build

Got the chassis back blasted and took it to my mates workshop who stores my chassis jig for me (its to huge for my shop), The *back door* had a half built frame on it so will have to wait

Seeing as i was somewhat stumped on the frame i decided to sort the various bits out on the front axle, The shock mount holes are tapered 3 degrees.

I turned up some tapered bungs with 1/2" holes to suit the shocks i have already.

These are pressed into the tapered holes and are really tight so don't need anything else.

There are some eared brackets cast in the axle for some sort of jacking system so were not needed, I will keep the upper ear as i may fit an anti roll bar and they are just in the right place.

Next i dealt with the kingpin size difference, The existing holes were bored out to 1" and a sleeve spun in the lathe with a 1" OD and 13/16" ID, These were then linished to be a press fit into the axle and then the holes was reamed to 0.815.

While the pillar drill was warm i decided to drill a few lightening holes in the axle, First i had to make a simple jig to hold the axle as the I beam sides are different widths so the axle won't lay flat on the table.

The jig was clamped to the table and a steel block wedge was put under the other side to keep it steady.
All had gone well with drilling the holes until i got up to the 1/2" drill, then the steel became incredibly hard and was taking the edge of the drills in seconds, after sharpening the bits several times i resorted to using carbide drills and these chewed through it much better, I don't know why it suddenly got so hard, anyone know ???
The holes were taken out to 3/4"

Checkout my Willys project here http://jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572303

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:13 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:42 PM   #3
GaryB
Alliance Member

nice work,seen those backing plates before?
Old 03-20-2011, 12:47 PM   #4
langy
Old School HAMBer

Found a few spare hours yesterday so welded the various chassis bits back together as the original owner had cut it into several pieces to make it easier to store I've kept the original front crossmember as its a nice looking piece, someone had been at it with a gas axe so there were a few holes to repair.
Once the frame was back together i noticed the front fixed shackle brackets were missing so had to make a pair, made them a little longer to get some lift on the front, I'm reusing the front shackles as they are nice pieces.

The FX3 was originally 112" wheelbase so 10" of the frame has been removed to bring it down to 102"

I will take some chassis pics tomorrow.

Here's the frame so far, It needed a lot of welding as the cuts wern't that neat, strong now though. Next job is to fit rear crossmember.
I'm going to get the front axle and rear axle in and then hopefully the engine.

Well the frame is now straight and true, had to take it off the jig as paid work was queeing up. Now i have the basic frame sorted i can start adding the various brackets etc etc.

I left the frame out last night and it rained and i now have a bit of patina on it , not a big problem as it will be media blasted again anyway and i just clean the metal where i will be welding. Its surprising how quickly things start rusting

The rear coilover crossmember, centre section & front crossmember was put in on the jig so it keeps it all nice.
I dragged the frame into the garden today as it has been really sunny for a change and the workshop is packed out anyways.

I wanted to get the front springs in place to check height etc etc, I had to cut the rear spring mounts i made as i made them to slip over the frame rails but i didn't notice that where they mount the inner of the frame was bulging slightly (probably been like it since it was made) anyway i decided to cut the legs off and tack weld into position just incase i need to move it. All the welding on this project is MIG.

I made some front brackets to give a bit of extra lift and welded them into position, the shackles are the original rear ones as they are a little longer than the old front shackles and give a bit more lift.

The centre section is just a K at the moment but i will add legs going forward once the motor is mounted. the lower rail is dropped for 2.5" diameter exhaust clearance

I next got the spindles out and reamed them to accept the early ford kingpins and slipped them into place, next i put the disc/hubs in place, the disc kt is a Speedway GM kit for early ford spindles and fits very easily, I'm not keen on using old brakes and this kit is a very good price. It made a nice change working in the sun

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:14 PM.
Old 03-20-2011, 12:52 PM   #5
langy
Old School HAMBer

Yes Gary I borrowed them off my 26T to check the fit, They will be going back

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
nice work,seen those backing plates before?

Old 03-20-2011, 12:59 PM   #6
woodienut
Grenade Inspector

Super please keep it coming. I might of made the sleeve and the spacer as one?

http://www.hubgarage.com/mygarage/woodie
Old 03-20-2011, 01:05 PM   #7
langy
Old School HAMBer

Your right of course but the only material i had at the time was only big enough for the sleeve unfortunately.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodienut View Post
Super please keep it coming. I might of made the sleeve and the spacer as one?

Old 03-20-2011, 01:15 PM   #8
BEAR

nice work keep going man

HAMB O'DEX ADD

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=615593
online   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 01:31 PM   #9
styleline

i be watching this one interesting

cheers
Old 03-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #10
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks guys, this has to be a bit of a budget build so some corners may be cut slightly, them Willys parts are a bit spendy

Old 03-21-2011, 01:53 PM   #11
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

That frame and front axle setup look perfect for a Willys build! I know this is going to be a great build! Looking forward to following along.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:00 PM   #12
Blacktop Graffiti

Dude I don't care if it's glass or not looks good to me.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:04 PM   #13
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Kev coming from you it means a lot, Your own car was a huge inspiration to me. I particuarly like the no nonsense look on yours, it looks tough !!!

Having seen your problem with the spider gears has made me decide to go with a 9" ford rear, I have a 8" rear but i'm concerned that the 1970 Cadillac 500 i'm using may well kill it fairly quickly ??? do you think i'm right ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi Kev View Post
That frame and front axle setup look perfect for a Willys build! I know this is going to be a great build! Looking forward to following along.

Old 03-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #14
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

An 8" Ford is a weak rearend for a Willys if you ever plan on stepping on it. Would probably last forever if you just drove around normally, having an automatic also is easier on it but if you ever want to make a run at the nostalgia drags or lay a patch for the boys you are risking breaking something. It would be hard to break an 8" in a roadster with skinny tires but a full bodied Willys with cheater slicks is a little harder on parts. 9" is surely a better choice.
Old 03-21-2011, 02:43 PM   #15
langy
Old School HAMBer

My thoughts exactly Kev, thanks for the input, its appreciated.

Quote:
An 8" Ford is a weak rearend for a Willys if you ever plan on stepping on it. Would probably last forever if you just drove around normally, having an automatic also is easier on it but if you ever want to make a run at the nostalgia drags or lay a patch for the boys you are risking breaking something. It would be hard to break an 8" in a roadster with skinny tires but a full bodied Willys with cheater slicks is a little harder on parts. 9" is surely a better choice.

Old 03-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #16
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

I will be following this one with interest. FX3 chassis looks like a great choice....
Old 03-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #17
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Guido, Its a little long at 112" but that bit was easily sorted interestingly the Austin 16 has exactly the same chassis and running gear but is 104" wheelbase.

I would like to publicly thank you for all the measurements and advice you gave me during the body process, Your a star mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I will be following this one with interest. FX3 chassis looks like a great choice....

Old 03-21-2011, 03:23 PM   #18
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for that blacktop, its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktop Graffiti View Post
Dude I don't care if it's glass or not looks good to me.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:33 PM   #19
Hot Rod Willys

I also will be watching your build, your frame is a very good choice as it looks very close to a Willys Chassis. Your skills are very impressive. Keep up the good work!
Old 03-21-2011, 06:01 PM   #20
BrerHair
Old School HAMBer

Learn so much from watching pros like you, langy. I'm in.

'51 Chevy build thread
Old 03-21-2011, 06:22 PM   #21
BadgeZ28

I am in also. I look forward to your progress on this project.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:38 PM   #22
wlspdshop
Alliance Member

This will be good.... very nice work.

JOE: Whadaya doin', creep?
CURT: Who Me?
JOE: No, I'm talking to the other fifty creeps here.
Old 03-22-2011, 04:19 AM   #23
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Dave, yes the frame is pretty close and you won't see much of it once under a body so i'm sure will be fine.
This started out as something to promote the glass bodys but i've always had a hankering for a Willys so will see it through to the end but my 26T project is getting priority.
Thanks for the input, its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCauley View Post
I also will be watching your build, your frame is a very good choice as it looks very close to a Willys Chassis. Your skills are very impressive. Keep up the good work!

Sponsored Links (Register now to hide all advertisements)
Old 03-22-2011, 04:20 AM   #24
langy
Old School HAMBer

I don't know about the pro comment as this is the first Willys i've done, I will try my best to get it to look right.
Thanks for the positives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrerHair View Post
Learn so much from watching pros like you, langy. I'm in.

Old 03-22-2011, 05:16 AM   #25
gasserkiwi
FNG

hey, nice job on the frame, its good to see that you are using what is at arms reach, looks like the car is going to be awesome, looking forward to following the build.
cheers Chris
Old 03-22-2011, 05:27 AM   #26
BrandonB
Alliance Member

After watching the build of your roadster and admiring your talents I know that this one will be just as impressive. Some people got it and some don't, you definitely do.
Old 03-22-2011, 07:12 AM   #27
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Chris, nice avatar !!! Is it your car ???
Yep on this one i will be using stuff i have around but i will have to buy certain parts as it wouldn't look right without them, the headlamp surrounds spring to mind, The grills are also expensive but thanks to my many friends on the HAMB i have a 58 Ford grill to fit, Thats saved a lot of money already and i also prefer the Ford grill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasserkiwi View Post
hey, nice job on the frame, its good to see that you are using what is at arms reach, looks like the car is going to be awesome, looking forward to following the build.
cheers Chris

Old 03-22-2011, 09:55 AM   #28
Racrdad

Fiberglass or not this is going to be one heck of a build I'm sure. Looking good so far, waiting for more updates!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:01 AM   #29
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Nice work on the frame ! I am not a fan of glass cars but a Willys is definately an exception to that ! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=466490
Old 03-22-2011, 10:20 AM   #30
RDR

vERY IMPRESSIVE!! I feel the same way you do about using what you have and adapting or fitting it to work...nice work and lots of ingenuity going on here langy.
Am enjoying this one for sure!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:36 AM   #31
jammersspeed
Grenade Inspector

looks great ! looking forward to more updates!!!
Old 03-22-2011, 10:40 AM   #32
El Hueso

Great start Langy. Way to think out of the box. I think that frame will look perfect under that Willys. Also I love the frame jig. Keep up the good work as usual.
Old 03-22-2011, 10:41 AM   #33
tinmann

Nothing like just jumping in there and getting the backbone taken care of. Looking forward to updates.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:17 AM   #34
TomT
Alliance Member

I know your work first hand, Langy, and I don't care if this is your first Willys as I know it will be first rate I'm sure! Looking to make a trip across the pond for a visit - don't know when as yet but I'll keep you posted when actual dates come available.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:19 PM   #35
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks mate, I will try not to let you down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatat View Post
After watching the build of your roadster and admiring your talents I know that this one will be just as impressive. Some people got it and some don't, you definitely do.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #36
langy
Old School HAMBer

I don't have any problem with glass cars at all, over here in england the scene would be fairly small without them, I try and make them look less glass by putting in original details, There are a lot of glass pnels around on the Willys so it might save me some work on this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racrdad View Post
Fiberglass or not this is going to be one heck of a build I'm sure. Looking good so far, waiting for more updates!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:25 PM   #37
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the vibes mate, its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolkemp View Post
Nice work on the frame ! I am not a fan of glass cars but a Willys is definately an exception to that ! Looking forward to the rest of the build!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:26 PM   #38
langy
Old School HAMBer

Good to hear mate, you may like this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDR View Post
vERY IMPRESSIVE!! I feel the same way you do about using what you have and adapting or fitting it to work...nice work and lots of ingenuity going on here langy.
Am enjoying this one for sure!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #39
langy
Old School HAMBer

Will post them as i progress but it maybe slow in places as priority is going on my 26T build, cheers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammersspeed View Post
looks great ! looking forward to more updates!!!

Old 03-22-2011, 02:28 PM   #40
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the thumbs up mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Hueso View Post
Great start Langy. Way to think out of the box. I think that frame will look perfect under that Willys. Also I love the frame jig. Keep up the good work as usual.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:29 PM   #41
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Tinman.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinmann View Post
Nothing like just jumping in there and getting the backbone taken care of. Looking forward to updates.

Old 03-22-2011, 02:32 PM   #42
langy
Old School HAMBer

That would be brilliant Tom, will be great to see you, I have lots of stuff to show you, any idea when ??? I'm getting excited already !!!
I hope you will find time to stay with us for a few days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomT View Post
I know your work first hand, Langy, and I don't care if this is your first Willys as I know it will be first rate I'm sure! Looking to make a trip across the pond for a visit - don't know when as yet but I'll keep you posted when actual dates come available.

Old 03-22-2011, 03:27 PM   #43
retro rodder
Grenade Inspector

cool build
Old 03-23-2011, 04:34 AM   #44
langy
Old School HAMBer

Guys i've been thinking about tyres, i've got a set of Ansens 4.5" front and 8.5" or 10" rears, all 15", what sort of sizes did they run back in the old days ???

Old 03-23-2011, 11:23 AM   #45
xracer40
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by langy View Post
Guys i've been thinking about tyres, i've got a set of Ansens 4.5" front and 8.5" or 10" rears, all 15", what sort of sizes did they run back in the old days ???

What you have should work really well. The 8.5" rears would have been pretty common in the 60's, the 10" rears more so in the late 60's and early 70's as tires got better and wider.

Let Her Loose!
Old 03-23-2011, 01:55 PM   #46
langy
Old School HAMBer

Yep i'm happy with the wheels but it was more the tyre info i was after, any idea's ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer40 View Post
What you have should work really well. The 8.5" rears would have been pretty common in the 60's, the 10" rears more so in the late 60's and early 70's as tires got better and wider.

Old 03-23-2011, 01:58 PM   #47
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

I would suggest 8.20 15 for the rear and 5.00 or 5.50 15 for the front.
Old 03-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #48
langy
Old School HAMBer

Any particular make Kev, i like your fronts with the whitewall, they are cool.

I have 820 firestones on another of my cars but the actual thread area on an 8" rim looks a little narrow ???

Quote:
I would suggest 8.20 15 for the rear and 5.00 or 5.50 15 for the front.

Old 03-23-2011, 02:46 PM   #49
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well its like the old days at the moment as i'm having to work on it on the drive, at least the sun is out

Finished the rear part of the centre crossmember & welded on some of the body mounting tabs.

Got the wheels out of the lockup last night and removed the spinners as i won't be using them and found that someone had drilled the wheels to bolt on the spinner plate , Not too much of a problem but i hadn't noticed it before, I will TIG the holes up later, heres one of the 8.5" rears, The radials will be going soon.

Set it all up on the drive to get an idea of height, Its high at the moment but I put 3 x 200lb mates on it earlier and it dropped to a nice height.
The Cadillac 500 is 625lbs but with an aluminium intake & headers is more like 580lbs so not too far off.
Put the steering arms on and I remembered i had made a stainless tierod for someone a whie back and they had never collected it so tried it for fit, It was 3/4" to long so i put it in the lathe and shortened it, Fits a treat now

Hopefully i will get the 9" rear mounted tomorrow evening and the night after get the motor in place.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:35 PM   #50
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

Personally I don't like whitewalls on a gasser. I have seen plenty of old gasser pics where the car had whitewalls but many more without and I think they look alot better without.

My front tires are BF Goodrich, available from Coker. Hurst or M&H would be my choice for the rear.
Old 03-24-2011, 12:16 AM   #51
40WILLYSCRAZY
Grenade Inspector

Hi: Well I finally caught one of you foreign guys measuring something in inches .
It happened to be your caliper checking out the spindles !!!! You just got busted by a Yank !!! HA - HA P.S. Keep up the good work.

Last edited by 40WILLYSCRAZY; 03-24-2011 at 12:43 AM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:42 AM   #52
langy
Old School HAMBer

Hi Bryan, I do most of my measuring in inches, i'm not a metric guy really.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 40WILLYSCRAZY View Post
Hi: Well I finally caught one of you foreign guys measuring something in inches .
It happened to be your caliper checking out the spindles !!!! You just got busted by a Yank !!! HA - HA P.S. Keep up the good work.

Old 03-24-2011, 05:24 AM   #53
langy
Old School HAMBer

Your too kind, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by claymore View Post
You can measure in either and your work will still be a masterpiece to behold.

Old 03-24-2011, 09:44 AM   #54
lawman
Old School HAMBer

One of the best posts we have had in a while !!!! This is real "Hot Rod "
building. We will all learn a lot from this build !!!! Keep up the good work and posting.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:50 AM   #55
Don Moyer
Old School HAMBer

usually I find these builds when it is too late and almost finished. Happy to find this one early! Don't worry about the fitting issues, most of the early glass parts didn't fit that well anyways...I like the direction you are going, like others, can't wait for your updates! The taxi frame and axle are very cool too!

Don
Old 03-24-2011, 11:56 AM   #56
blackjack

Steve - that taxi chassis looks better every time I see it - suprised that you are the first to see the potential - it should be a British Rodding staple. I have confirmed that the later (and very common and cheap) FX4 is the same but modified for IFS.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that your Willys body could be mounted on a 2CV chassis ;-)

Old 03-24-2011, 01:30 PM   #57
langy
Old School HAMBer

Never Geoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackjack View Post
Steve - that taxi chassis looks better every time I see it - suprised that you are the first to see the potential - it should be a British Rodding staple. I have confirmed that the later (and very common and cheap) FX4 is the same but modified for IFS.

BTW - I'm pretty sure that your Willys body could be mounted on a 2CV chassis ;-)

Old 03-24-2011, 01:32 PM   #58
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Lawman, This has to be a project built from cast off bits and ingenuity as all my money has gone elsewhere

i'm pleased to see it welcomed here, I did wonder about posting it as its a glass car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lawman View Post
One of the best posts we have had in a while !!!! This is real "Hot Rod "
building. We will all learn a lot from this build !!!! Keep up the good work and posting.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:33 PM   #59
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Don, I appreciate your comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Moyer View Post
usually I find these builds when it is too late and almost finished. Happy to find this one early! Don't worry about the fitting issues, most of the early glass parts didn't fit that well anyways...I like the direction you are going, like others, can't wait for your updates! The taxi frame and axle are very cool too!

Don

Old 03-24-2011, 02:02 PM   #60
lawman
Old School HAMBer

Langy, You are so welcome my friend. Good to see people in the "same Boat" as us ref to money!!!!! LOL My next car I hope will be a "Glass" 34 Ford.Keep posting as this is a great site and lots of great Guys and Gals.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:09 PM   #61
blackjack

[QUOTE=langy;6369465]Thanks Lawman, This has to be a project built from cast off bits and ingenuity as all my money has gone elsewhere [QUOTE]

Well that's not going to be a problem then Steve.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:35 PM   #62
langy
Old School HAMBer

Found a bit of time last night to start making the ladder bars, I had some stainless tube lined up for the job but the more i thought about it i really liked the idea of doing it the way they did in the old days with square tube.

I had some 1" x 1/8" wall on the rack so cut it to the lengths required and then drilled some 3/4" square bar to use as slugs in the end of the square tube, these were welded into the tube and tapped to accept rose joints in the front and clevis's in the rear.

Hopefully get to fit them tonight. They won't be fitted parallel like the old days though, that may well be fine on a strip car but this one will be street driven so they will be triangulated, Havn't made my mind up yet but the axle will be located by a watts linkage or a Panhard bar, it all depends whats laying about really.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:21 PM.
Old 03-24-2011, 02:50 PM   #63
fab32
Alliance Member

I'm watcing this one as I've never seen a drag car built starting with a fiberglass shell. Lots of glass cars but never from the first stages.

Frank
Old 03-24-2011, 03:09 PM   #64
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Frank, not really a true racecar though more of a street bully

Quote:
Originally Posted by fab32 View Post
I'm watcing this one as I've never seen a drag car built starting with a fiberglass shell. Lots of glass cars but never from the first stages.

Frank

Old 03-24-2011, 03:37 PM   #65
hoop

Excellent job you are doing.Iam very impressed!
Old 03-24-2011, 03:52 PM   #66
wlspdshop
Alliance Member

Looking good...

JOE: Whadaya doin', creep?
CURT: Who Me?
JOE: No, I'm talking to the other fifty creeps here.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:45 AM   #67
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks guys.

Old 03-25-2011, 05:10 AM   #68
Little Terry

I can't believe you're starting another one!

Watching with interest as always.

Mark.

My '41 truck project http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=268323
Old 03-25-2011, 06:02 AM   #69
fitzee
Old School HAMBer

I am liking this one. Using what you can get. That frame is interesting. I`ll be watch this one closely. Great work so far.
Old 03-25-2011, 02:11 PM   #70
langy
Old School HAMBer

Why not Mark, gotta keep busy you know

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Terry View Post
I can't believe you're starting another one!

Watching with interest as always.

Mark.

Old 03-25-2011, 02:33 PM   #71
langy
Old School HAMBer

Managed to get it all welded up, would of had it on its wheels but i have ford shafts with chevy pattern wheels so need a pair of adaptors.

Panhard rod tomorrow, or maybe a Watts linkage.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 03:02 PM   #72
Kustom Linez

Awesome. Looks great!

www.chopped.com.au
www.kustomlinez.com
Old 03-26-2011, 04:10 AM   #73
langy
Old School HAMBer

I had a few pm's (not sure why the question wasn't asked here ?) asking why i didn't mount my ladder bars parallel, so thought i would answer here.
Parallel is fine for the strip but this is a street car so no good for the street in my opinion, What you end up with is basically a big antiroll bar that can't articulate without binding, On the road this will unload the tyres and all sorts of funny handling issues will happen.
With the triangulated setup it all moves sufficiently without any binding.
Hope this helps someone.

Old 03-26-2011, 10:53 AM   #74
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well i'm at the stage where i needed the engine & trans in, Main problem is that the engine & trans is in the lockup up the road and weights 900lb odd, While pondering this small problem this morning my mate Charlie turned up in his Ranger pickup Within a short while we had loaded up the engine crane and was on our way Thanks Charlie !!!

Once back we unloaded it and jiggled it into position and put in a couple of temp supports, First thought was that the oil filter was going to be a problem but once we dropped the engine an inch everything was cool

I knew i would have to put in a curved piece in the gearbox crossmember as it needs to be raised 1" but without the engine in couldn't be pre determinded, Not a big problem really.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:22 PM.
Old 03-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #75
Topless Ford

Lookin Good!!!
Old 03-26-2011, 11:21 AM   #76
GaryB
Alliance Member

sorry if it has been asked before.what size is engine? lookin good by the way
Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #77
mrgrim
BANNED

Very nice!
Old 03-26-2011, 02:38 PM   #78
Don Moyer
Old School HAMBer

I didn't see if you said you were going to make the center of your k member drop out? If your building a gasser, transmissions tend to go bad every once in a while
Old 03-26-2011, 03:09 PM   #79
langy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryB View Post
sorry if it has been asked before.what size is engine? lookin good by the way
500ci Cadillac Gary

Sent from my iPhone using TJJ

Old 03-26-2011, 03:14 PM   #80
Pro Stock John
Old School HAMBer

I've gone 1.35 short times and low 9's with a 31 spline 9" setup, only thing I ever broke was eventually a posi got tired and then I did a spool.
Old 03-26-2011, 03:15 PM   #81
cactus1
Alliance Member

That chassis looks fantastic. I really like that front crossmember. This is coming together quickly!

Check out my '34 Chevy truck build thread here: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/s...d.php?t=371802
Old 03-26-2011, 04:07 PM   #82
langy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Moyer View Post
I didn't see if you said you were going to make the center of your k member drop out? If your building a gasser, transmissions tend to go bad every once in a while
No drop out cross member Don I prefer to pull the complete thing

Old 03-26-2011, 08:46 PM   #83
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Langy, The frame is sure coming along great ! Looking forward to further build info on your coupe.

Dave
Next to retire . . . . well maybe . . .
Old 03-27-2011, 05:42 AM   #84
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for your input John, its appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro Stock John View Post
I've gone 1.35 short times and low 9's with a 31 spline 9" setup, only thing I ever broke was eventually a posi got tired and then I did a spool.

Old 03-27-2011, 05:43 AM   #85
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks mate, i'm pretty pleased with it.
I did have some people here in England that questioned the use of the frame.
Yes its coming together fairly quickly, We have a pretty big show at Easter time in England with lots of prospective customers so i want to get it looking like a complete car so i can show the body kit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cactus1 View Post
That chassis looks fantastic. I really like that front crossmember. This is coming together quickly!

Old 03-27-2011, 05:45 AM   #86
HeyyCharger

It's good to see that checkered floor again!

Great build, once again....

HC.

"You gotta let the power speak..... You gotta learn to listen and feel it!"
Old 03-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #87
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the positives Dave.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 41 Dave View Post
Langy, The frame is sure coming along great ! Looking forward to further build info on your coupe.

Dave

Old 03-28-2011, 03:57 AM   #88
langy
Old School HAMBer

Ha ha ha, thanks mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyyCharger View Post
It's good to see that checkered floor again!

Great build, once again....

HC.

Old 03-30-2011, 02:09 PM   #89
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well progress has been slow as its been pissing down since monday

I did get to make some engine mounts last night though, I made the basic shape a while ago but they didn't get used so they ended up on the parts shelf, Which make them handy for this project

I wanted them to look old so decided to attach them to the frame with castle nuts and used Early Ford engine mounts.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2011, 02:22 PM   #90
Stan Lee
Grenade Inspector

I love reading your build threads your craftsmanship is top notch
Old 03-30-2011, 02:44 PM   #91
SteadyT

Who sold you the body?

This thread is really inspiring.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:26 PM   #92
langy
Old School HAMBer

I didn't buy the body, Its from our own moulds. glad you like it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteadyT View Post
Who sold you the body?

This thread is really inspiring.

Old 03-31-2011, 02:49 AM   #93
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the positives Stan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Lee View Post
I love reading your build threads your craftsmanship is top notch

Old 03-31-2011, 08:17 AM   #94
FlyFisher
Alliance Member

Another great build Langy!

Subscribed.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:35 PM   #95
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well it stopped raining for a while so i cracked on with the rest of the engine mounts, I didn't want the motor high in the rame so used alternative mounting positions.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:33 PM   #96
cakes

looks great man, I love reading through your builds

Looking for a 1957 GMC front lower filler panel, it goes behind the bumper
Old 03-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #97
xracer40
Grenade Inspector

"I did have some people here in England that questioned the use of the frame."

At the risk of being sent to some kind of HAMB purgatory,I think your frame has a cleaner look than an original willys frame. Although I do find it amusing that your low dollar build is being done in a high dollar driveway.
Brick work like yours for a driveway does not come cheap over here.

Let Her Loose!
Old 03-31-2011, 02:53 PM   #98
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the good vibes mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyFisher View Post
Another great build Langy!

Subscribed.

Old 03-31-2011, 03:04 PM   #99
kingfishhotrods
Grenade Inspector

great job. i really like what you are doing so far.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:09 PM   #100
langy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by xracer40 View Post
"I did have some people here in England that questioned the use of the frame."

At the risk of being sent to some kind of HAMB purgatory,I think your frame has a cleaner look than an original willys frame. Although I do find it amusing that your low dollar build is being done in a high dollar driveway.
Brick work like yours for a driveway does not come cheap over here.
Run of the mill driveway here mate, a lot of people have block paving.

Old 03-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #101
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

langy, Was wondering what the mounts you used were ? Kind of look like hockey pucks . . . . .

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 02:30 AM   #102
langy
Old School HAMBer

They are Speedway early ford mounts Dave, i kinda like them as they can be adjusted and if too soft i put hockey puks in to replace the rubber.

Quote:
langy, Was wondering what the mounts you used were ? Kind of look like hockey pucks . . . . .

Dave

Old 04-01-2011, 01:07 PM   #103
langy
Old School HAMBer

Did the mod on the centre section last night, raised it slightly for tailshaft clearance, Couldn't make the mount though as couldn't find the TH400 mount i bought.

I did the panhard bar the other evening in square to match the ladder bars but forgot to post the pics.

I had a few hours spare this afternoon and my mate turned up today with a van so i got him to use it to pick up the body from my lockup, once we got back with it we played arund and mocked it up.
The firewall was removed as it won't be needed.

I bolted in some temperary wood spars to hold the body at the right height.

This will have to be removed soon.

Drilled & bolted a fender on, and drilled and bolted the frontend together.

Next we mocked up to get an idea how it will look.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:13 PM   #104
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks cakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes View Post
looks great man, I love reading through your builds

Old 04-02-2011, 03:18 AM   #105
langy
Old School HAMBer

Glad your enjoying it mate, thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingfishhotrods View Post
great job. i really like what you are doing so far.

Old 04-02-2011, 05:10 AM   #106
fuzzybear

looks good mate. its funny seeing those "glass" bodies in the raw, they look like giant model kits. keep up the good work
Old 04-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #107
glenn33

Steve...You've got mad skills man. I'll be watching this one.

Old 04-02-2011, 09:33 PM   #108
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Langy, Car is really starting to show it's shape and stance. Will you be running slicks on sunny days ?

Dave
Old 04-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #109
Triggerman

Langy, I just read the six pages. It is very entertaining watching you make progress and seeing things from your point of view across the pond. Do the English still use Whitworth fasteners and tools?
The quality of your fiberglas looks excellent. I can't see any roughness on the underside. You didn't press mold it did you?
Old 04-02-2011, 11:50 PM   #110
GaryB
Alliance Member

lookin good
Old 04-03-2011, 08:54 AM   #111
langy
Old School HAMBer

I know what you mean mate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzybear View Post
looks good mate. its funny seeing those "glass" bodies in the raw, they look like giant model kits. keep up the good work

Old 04-03-2011, 08:55 AM   #112
langy
Old School HAMBer

hi Glenn, thanks mate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenn33 View Post
Steve...You've got mad skills man. I'll be watching this one.

Old 04-03-2011, 08:56 AM   #113
langy
Old School HAMBer

Cheers Dave, No slicks for us in England i'm afraid as its illegal here, but I'm hoping to have a pair of cheaters with a pattern soon.

Quote:
Langy, Car is really starting to show it's shape and stance. Will you be running slicks on sunny days ?

Dave

Old 04-03-2011, 08:58 AM   #114
langy
Old School HAMBer

No mate Whitworth went out years ago, Its virtually all Metric these days but i use UNF & UNC as much as i can but some fateners are tricky to get here.

Yes the glasswork is good, my laminator likes to get them as smooth as possible, He is a good guy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
Langy, I just read the six pages. It is very entertaining watching you make progress and seeing things from your point of view across the pond. Do the English still use Whitworth fasteners and tools?
The quality of your fiberglas looks excellent. I can't see any roughness on the underside. You didn't press mold it did you?

Old 04-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #115
INLAW MODEL A

Neat build, I like it. Always liked Willys since the movie Hot Rod came out in '79.

Let's go vintage drag racing!
July 18,19&20, 2014 Byron, IL

http://meltdowndrags.com/

Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #116
Noland

another awesome build
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 AM   #117
langy
Old School HAMBer

Not much work yesterday as it was my birthday and Sue insisted on taking me for a meal and beer

But i did sneak a bit of time in the morning, I picked up a pair of 9" shafts that had been drilled Chevy pattern so popped them in and bolted on my rear wheels, It looks completely different now, The tyres i will be running are gonna be 30" tall which is 2" bigger than the radials on the wheels a the moment.

I also taped a door into position and laid the hood in place to give a better idea of look.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:46 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:11 AM   #118
Crease
Old School HAMBer

lookin good!!!

"In the end its all about the friends you make while your here."
Collin Casey
Old 04-03-2011, 09:31 AM   #119
RetroSteel
Alliance Member

Your Willys mockup has the Stone, Woods & Cook look!
Attitude with altitude!
Old 04-03-2011, 09:34 AM   #120
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Mo, kind of you to say

Quote:
Originally Posted by RetroSteel View Post
Your Willys mockup has the Stone, Woods & Cook look!
Attitude with altitude!

Old 04-03-2011, 10:47 AM   #121
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

Sure looks like a high end build to me! Very nice work, and the stance is really great!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:03 AM   #122
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

langy, The coupe has a just right Gasser Attitude ! Bet it can pull the front wheels with that Caddy mill !

Dave
Old 04-03-2011, 02:25 PM   #123
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Dave, i mounted the motor a fair way back so there is every chance i guess.

Quote:
langy, The coupe has a just right Gasser Attitude ! Bet it can pull the front wheels with that Caddy mill !

Dave

Old 04-03-2011, 03:50 PM   #124
Triggerman

Geez that glass body looks straight. There're probably some Americans with Willy's kits that wish their bodies looked that good. Your laminator is talented.

How's the beer in Bushey? Someday I will travel to England and do the pub crawl...after the War Museum.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:18 PM   #125
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Looking great! It must be pretty exciting to see it look like a car for the first time!!

Old 04-03-2011, 06:28 PM   #126
gasserlouie

I have a really soft spot for Willys, especially when they are Gassers!!! Keep up the great job! Nice job.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:37 AM   #127
langy
Old School HAMBer

The beer is great mate, If you ever come over look me up and we will have a beer together

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerman View Post
Geez that glass body looks straight. There're probably some Americans with Willy's kits that wish their bodies looked that good. Your laminator is talented.

How's the beer in Bushey? Someday I will travel to England and do the pub crawl...after the War Museum.

Old 04-04-2011, 04:39 AM   #128
langy
Old School HAMBer

It is mate, its good to stand back and get a good view of it, thanks.

Quote:
Looking great! It must be pretty exciting to see it look like a car for the first time!!

Old 04-04-2011, 07:44 AM   #129
jammersspeed
Grenade Inspector

looking good!!!!
Old 04-04-2011, 09:00 AM   #130
Bigdaddykaddy
Grenade Inspector

Lookin Good keep it up !!
Old 04-04-2011, 01:30 PM   #131
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks guys

Old 04-08-2011, 04:39 AM   #132
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks mate, is that yours in your avatar ??? Looks pretty cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by gasserlouie View Post
I have a really soft spot for Willys, especially when they are Gassers!!! Keep up the great job! Nice job.

Old 04-08-2011, 03:00 PM   #133
langy
Old School HAMBer

These are the hinges i will be using, The u shaped bracket gets welded to the A post upright which then alows the hinge to be adjusted.

They were setup with a piece of 1/4" bar to align the hinge pins.

The firewall has now been removed.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.
Old 04-08-2011, 03:18 PM   #134
lorodz
Old School HAMBer

looks awsome ..keep at it ..
Old 04-08-2011, 08:55 PM   #135
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

Wow the sun really does shine there once in a while ..looking good!

Old 04-08-2011, 10:32 PM   #136
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

langy, Real good update. Looks like you are making some good progress on your coupe. Will stay tuned for your next update.

Dave
Old 04-09-2011, 04:52 AM   #137
langy
Old School HAMBer

Yes we have had it quite a lot this past 14 days.

Quote:
Wow the sun really does shine there once in a while ..looking good!

Old 04-09-2011, 09:06 AM   #138
langy
Old School HAMBer

Cheers Dave, hope to get the floor in shortly. Just been waiting for some dimensions off a friends steel body

Quote:
langy, Real good update. Looks like you are making some good progress on your coupe. Will stay tuned for your next update.

Dave

Old 04-09-2011, 08:29 PM   #139
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

langy, You are sure making some good progress. Have you decided what intake/carbs to run ? Is there many choices of intakes for your 500 Caddy ? I am sure what ever you do will look clean and mean !

Dave
Old 04-10-2011, 05:22 AM   #140
langy
Old School HAMBer

Not really sure yet Dave, there isn't much available thats in my budget, I would really like a dual quad setup but they sure are spendy

Quote:
langy, You are sure making some good progress. Have you decided what intake/carbs to run ? Is there many choices of intakes for your 500 Caddy ? I am sure what ever you do will look clean and mean !

Dave

Old 04-10-2011, 09:03 PM   #141
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Langy, If they make an aluminum intake for the 500 inch Cad - could you cut open the top of the intake and make a plate to weld to the intake for two 4 BBL carbs ? Would be neat if that was possible.

Dave
Old 04-11-2011, 03:34 AM   #142
langy
Old School HAMBer

I've got a few idea's floating in my head Dave. But for the meantime i will use an Edelbrock performer intake and a Holley 850

Quote:
Langy, If they make an aluminum intake for the 500 inch Cad - could you cut open the top of the intake and make a plate to weld to the intake for two 4 BBL carbs ? Would be neat if that was possible.

Dave

Old 04-12-2011, 02:19 PM   #143
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well got a few hours in last night and started to make up the firewall, Its made in 3/4" x 3/4" x 1/16 wall box, It all bolts in and the box was free has it had a bit of rust on it so will get media blasted and powder coated, It will get skinned in polished stainless sheet as i already have some, It will be held in place with rivets for an old timey look.

The frame will be tied into the door hinges, one thing i picked up talking to willys owners at Bakersfield was that on all the willys when you open the doors they drop, This obviously is because when the firewall gets shoved back the A post loses all its strength, gonna make sure the strength is put back in this one.

Last edited by langy; 04-30-2013 at 03:48 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:04 PM   #144
junkyardgenius

Looking good pard.
Old 04-12-2011, 03:13 PM   #145
Paul Y

Steve,

Yet another fantastic build.

If you had not already adopted Adam I would be asking for you to be my Dad....

P.
Old 04-12-2011, 04:17 PM   #146
langy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Y View Post
Steve,

Yet another fantastic build.

If you had not already adopted Adam I would be asking for you to be my Dad....

P.
Ha ha ha, that's funny Paul

Old 04-14-2011, 03:25 PM   #147
langy
Old School HAMBer

Finished the firewall frame now, just a bit of cleanup to do and blast & prime

Last edited by langy; 05-01-2013 at 03:31 AM.
Old 04-14-2011, 05:40 PM   #148
koolkemp
Old School HAMBer

That should take care of any cowl flex ! Looks great and will probably be stronger than an orig body!

Steve

Old 04-14-2011, 06:34 PM   #149
kisam
Alliance Member

What a cool build! Going to be watching this one.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #150
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

langy, Firewall brace/structure looks like a great design that should solve any sagging door problems. You sir, do some clean and neat work !

Dave
Old 04-15-2011, 02:19 AM   #151
langy
Old School HAMBer

Yep its certainly strong now, quite light too, I'm going to fit a couple of tubes from the firewall down to the front of the frame horns, I can also use these to mount the fenders also, cheers.

Quote:
That should take care of any cowl flex ! Looks great and will probably be stronger than an orig body!

Steve

Old 04-15-2011, 02:21 AM   #152
langy
Old School HAMBer

Cheers Dave, I've done better but i wanted to get this done quick so i can get the floor in as we have one of our biggest shows in 10 days time and i wanted to show the body to any prospective customers.

Quote:
langy, Firewall brace/structure looks like a great design that should solve any sagging door problems. You sir, do some clean and neat work !

Dave

Old 04-15-2011, 01:23 PM   #153
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks for the thumbs up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kisam View Post
What a cool build! Going to be watching this one.

Old 04-15-2011, 02:26 PM   #154
70dodgeman
Grenade Inspector

Looking good. Nice build.
Old 04-18-2011, 11:23 AM   #155
RaggedyRacing

Saw the bodyshell get a few column inches in this month's Custom Car, fantastic!

Will this be at Wheels Day?

Old 04-18-2011, 12:22 PM   #156
langy
Old School HAMBer

Unfortunately not, was trying to get it their but ricked my neck a few days ago lifting an engine so no work for a few days till it gets better

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaggedyRacing View Post
Saw the bodyshell get a few column inches in this month's Custom Car, fantastic!

Will this be at Wheels Day?

Old 04-20-2011, 01:11 PM   #157
langy
Old School HAMBer

Finished the firewall now, I was going to buy a sheet of polished stainless and do it it one bit but it was $155 for a 2metre x 1 metre sheet, Ended up using offcuts i had laying around, just had enough to do it in 3 pieces, its bolted in with 5mm button head bolts at the moment but these will be replaced with rivets when i have time.

Last edited by langy; 05-01-2013 at 03:32 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 01:51 PM   #158
Kiwi Kev
Old School HAMBer

Nice and clean, I like it!
Old 04-20-2011, 02:43 PM   #159
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Kev. hope you enjoyed your trip.

Quote:
Nice and clean, I like it!

Old 04-20-2011, 03:12 PM   #160
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

I am not usually a big fan of aluminum or stainless firewalls, but this one is tits! The button heads make it really pop....
Old 04-21-2011, 03:03 AM   #161
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks mate, I reckon it will look better when i get the rivets in though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weasel View Post
I am not usually a big fan of aluminum or stainless firewalls, but this one is tits! The button heads make it really pop....

Old 04-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #162
hemipwd41willys
Grenade Inspector

Nice job on the fire wall, looks great!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:30 AM   #163
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks, appreciate the comment

Quote:
Originally Posted by hemipwd41willys View Post
Nice job on the fire wall, looks great!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 AM   #164
R Frederick
Old School HAMBer

Your scrap pieces turn out better than my bought material. Looks good!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:45 AM   #165
langy
Old School HAMBer

ha ha ha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked50Coupe View Post
Your scrap pieces turn out better than my bought material. Looks good!

Old 04-21-2011, 08:51 AM   #166
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

I actually like the button head bolts on the firewall!
Old 04-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #167
langy
Old School HAMBer

I like your avatar mate, cool car

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971BB427 View Post
I actually like the button head bolts on the firewall!

Old 04-21-2011, 09:03 AM   #168
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
I like your avatar mate, cool car
Thanks Langy, that's my 1946 Austin gasser.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #169
langy
Old School HAMBer

Got anymore pics of it, Its a cool looker

Quote:
Thanks Langy, that's my 1946 Austin gasser.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 PM   #170
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Langy, Firewall is looking really good ! I would vote to keep the button head fasteners. They look kind of simple but clean.

Dave
Old 04-22-2011, 02:12 AM   #171
langy
Old School HAMBer

Cheers for the input Dave.

Quote:
Langy, Firewall is looking really good ! I would vote to keep the button head fasteners. They look kind of simple but clean.

Dave

Old 04-22-2011, 08:25 AM   #172
R Frederick
Old School HAMBer

Quote:

Dave
I agree, they do look good.
Old 04-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #173
langy
Old School HAMBer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wicked50Coupe View Post
I agree, they do look good.
Thanks dude

Old 04-25-2011, 10:44 AM   #174
langy
Old School HAMBer

Guys I've been looking for pics of gassers with early type wheelie bars made from leaf springs and a wheel added through the spring eye, what I want to know is how the springs were located ???
I only have a couple of pics of them and they look like the were attached to the chassis rails as apposed to the axle casing like the modern type, anybody know or have detailed pics ???

Old 04-26-2011, 01:44 PM   #175
SOLID9
Grenade Inspector

No pics but I've seen a couple of them. The guys just whack one end off the springs and bolt them up to the frame rails with U bolts. Just like you would a spring pack to an axle.
Old 04-26-2011, 01:54 PM   #176
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thats interesting about bolting to the rails, I've seen a couple of pics where they look like they are mounted on the rails but others have said they are mounted on the axle casing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID9 View Post
No pics but I've seen a couple of them. The guys just whack one end off the springs and bolt them up to the frame rails with U bolts. Just like you would a spring pack to an axle.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:13 PM   #177
farmer12
Alliance Member

Very awesome build so far! Keep up the good work. I'll be watching this one for sure. Great stuff!
Old 04-26-2011, 02:21 PM   #178
SOLID9
Grenade Inspector

Yeah that might be. Like I said I've only seen a couple of them and thats the way they had em set up. Kinda figure they wouldn't have much leverage on the car being mounted to the axle?
Old 04-26-2011, 02:23 PM   #179
1954satan
FNG

Quote:
Finished the firewall now, I was going to buy a sheet of polished stainless and do it it one bit but it was $155 for a 2metre x 1 metre sheet, Ended up using offcuts i had laying around, just had enough to do it in 3 pieces, its bolted in with 5mm button head bolts at the moment but these will be replaced with rivets when i have time.

hi steve, i wasnt paying attention there and for a split second i thought you had shoehorned another caddy motor in there, coming along nicely mate.
Old 04-26-2011, 02:29 PM   #180
langy
Old School HAMBer

These days they are all fitted on the axle as fitting to the frame would unload the rear tyres, Not sure if they would of known that back in the day ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOLID9 View Post
Yeah that might be. Like I said I've only seen a couple of them and thats the way they had em set up. Kinda figure they wouldn't have much leverage on the car being mounted to the axle?

Old 04-26-2011, 02:31 PM   #181
langy
Old School HAMBer

Now theres an idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1954satan View Post
hi steve, i wasnt paying attention there and for a split second i thought you had shoehorned another caddy motor in there, coming along nicely mate.

Old 04-26-2011, 02:41 PM   #182
langy
Old School HAMBer

Here's a pic of what i mean

Old 04-26-2011, 08:08 PM   #183
coololdcars
Grenade Inspector

If you look at the old gassers there are quite a few with the wheelie bars, usually running the bigger pnumatic tires , like a garden tractor or such....KS Pittmans 33 Willys had them!!
Old 04-26-2011, 09:24 PM   #184
patman

Wheels? We don't need no steenking wheels!

Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 PM   #185
patman

http://www.ltd-cars.com/price/willys-170621113580.htm

This might help...the underside shot shows the chromed spring bolted to the ladder bars/shock mounts:

Not a great shot of the wheels, but...

Old 04-27-2011, 02:19 AM   #186
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Patman, thats great.

Old 04-28-2011, 09:35 AM   #187
coololdcars
Grenade Inspector

BTW>....What are those door hinges?? I have a Willys going together right now, and your build is a wealth of information!!! The only difference so far is I'm using a stock Willys frame that I have boxed, along with a 413 Chrysler. Other than that it looks like my garage!!!
Old 04-28-2011, 02:07 PM   #188
langy
Old School HAMBer

I was going to get some repro Willys hinges but couldn't warrant the money i'm afraid So i went with Speedway hinges, They are slightly smaller but do the job. Link here http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Budget-Hinges,3402.html

Why don't you get a build thread going, we all love pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by coololdcars View Post
BTW>....What are those door hinges?? I have a Willys going together right now, and your build is a wealth of information!!! The only difference so far is I'm using a stock Willys frame that I have boxed, along with a 413 Chrysler. Other than that it looks like my garage!!!

Old 04-28-2011, 02:56 PM   #189
coololdcars
Grenade Inspector

Thanks a bunch!!!! I dunno about a new thread though......like I said it would be a rerun of yours!!
Old 04-28-2011, 03:18 PM   #190
langy
Old School HAMBer

Its good to bounce ideas off each other, We need to see pictures

Quote:
Thanks a bunch!!!! I dunno about a new thread though......like I said it would be a rerun of yours!!

Old 04-28-2011, 06:07 PM   #191
hemipwd41willys
Grenade Inspector

Quote:

I agree with LANGY. Start a tread of your own. It is good to see what ideas other people have when it comes to building cars. That and pics are always great to look at.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:14 PM   #192
unkamort
Alliance Member

Just read the entire thread (dont know how I missed it)
Thumbs up on a class A build... and a gentleman to boot.
Old 04-29-2011, 02:18 AM   #193
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks mate although i'm not sure about being a gentleman LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by unkamort View Post
Just read the entire thread (dont know how I missed it)
Thumbs up on a class A build... and a gentleman to boot.

Old 04-29-2011, 01:50 PM   #194
langy
Old School HAMBer

Well seeing as i have no interest in a royal wedding i thought i would make good use of the long bank holiday weekend.

Cut the front floor panel from a sheet of 12mm ply and clearanced it for the autobox, Its only bolted in at the moment, will glass it fully very shortly.

Once i had the floor in place i could get the front body mounts into place.

Next i made some plates up that bolt to the front mounts at the A post sandwiching the floor, this where my front cage mounts.

Next i made the B post mounts from 4" x 2" box, these needed to be strong as my main cage hoop bolts in here, the box was tapered and capped off and square plate welded to each mount. They are tacked in place and will get fully welded when the body is lifted off. (the box section in the pics is the temperary mounts)

2 more plates were cut and drilled to bolt in at the B post again sandwiching the 12mm floor, this is where the main cage hoop bolts in.

Next i started putting in the steelwork to stiffen up the B post and to provide a mounting point for the lock striker.

This is where it started raining so i retired to the workshop to find something to do, I had a offcut of 3" stainless exhaust tubing so decided to make a weight bar for the rear, i spun up some capping plates for the ends and welded them in place, then i gave the tube a quick polish as it makes it easier to full polish after the brackets were welded on. The brackets fix where the original Willys bumper irons fit, I will cut the bumper irons cutouts in the rear fenders tomorrow and hopefully get it bolted in place.

All in all a good productive day !!! Now for a nice beer or 2

Last edited by langy; 05-01-2013 at 03:34 AM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #195
41 Dave
Old School HAMBer

Langy, Now that bumper is quite a nice piece. Love the polished look to it. Was over at a friends house today. He was doing tin work for a Henry J. Neat old car with real 409 Chevy and drag auto trans (still had the manufacturers tags like it was fresh. My friend has about 600 hrs in the tin work and it is looking real good. I always like to see the details as a car is built.
Keep us posted on your coupes build.Going to be one neat ride.

Dave
Old 04-30-2011, 03:33 AM   #196
langy
Old School HAMBer

Cheers Dave, the bumper needs a final polish yet but came out good, hope to get it mounted today.
I love the Henry J's, they are very rare here in England, I also like the 409 and have one myself although it needs a full rebuild, infact this project nearly had it as the motor.

Quote:
Langy, Now that bumper is quite a nice piece. Love the polished look to it. Was over at a friends house today. He was doing tin work for a Henry J. Neat old car with real 409 Chevy and drag auto trans (still had the manufacturers tags like it was fresh. My friend has about 600 hrs in the tin work and it is looking real good. I always like to see the details as a car is built.
Keep us posted on your coupes build.Going to be one neat ride.

Dave

Old 04-30-2011, 06:09 AM   #197
Hot Rod Willys

Your doing a great job, I am really enjoying this thread! What about wood crush between the metals, are you going to make metal sleaves for the bolts where in goes thru the wood? One thing I do know for sure, you have lots of fab equipment we cant see. I do this stuff everyday and you just cant get the results your getting with normal backyard tools. Keep up the great work!
Old 04-30-2011, 06:43 AM   #198
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks Dave,Yes there are tubes slightly under the floor thickness, yes i have a fair bit of fab equipment but not much is getting used on this project, I wanted to do it mostly the old way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave McCauley View Post
Your doing a great job, I am really enjoying this thread! What about wood crush between the metals, are you going to make metal sleaves for the bolts where in goes thru the wood? One thing I do know for sure, you have lots of fab equipment we cant see. I do this stuff everyday and you just cant get the results your getting with normal backyard tools. Keep up the great work!

Old 04-30-2011, 10:10 AM   #199
1971BB427
Old School HAMBer

Love all the little details on the pieces you're building! They really make the build!
Old 04-30-2011, 11:27 AM   #200
langy
Old School HAMBer

Thanks dude, not as much detail on this one as i usually put in as its a tight budget but i still try and make them tidy.
We have a race series here called The Gasser Circus, I just signed up so need to get this done ASAP

Quote:
Love all the little details on the pieces you're building! They really make the build!

Old 04-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #201
langy
Old School HAMBer

Not such a productive day today mainly because its been bl00dy hot

I got the weight bar fitted and made a template for the trans tunnel and a few other boring bits. The trans tunnel could of been lower but i want to mount my shifter on it so i made it a bit higher.

Last edited by langy; 05-01-2013 at 03:35 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:07 PM   #202
hemipwd41willys
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Not such a productive day today mainly because its been bl00dy hot

I got the weight bar fitted and made a template for the trans tunnel and a few other boring bits. The trans tunnel could of been lower but i want to mount my shifter on it so i made it a bit higher.

Lookin good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Since it is so hot there can you send some of the heat my way. Woke up again this morning to another 1" of snow. That's 2 days in a row. Sure would be nice to be able to open up the shop doors instead of having to run the heaters. Enjoy the weekend!