Register now to get rid of these ads!

Tech- Recessed Split Wishbone Mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by iammarvin, Mar 9, 2011.

1. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

I did this before I knew how to take pictures so some pics are simulated.I had these brackets on a clapped out frame ( picture 1) . Didn't like the way they hung below the rails and when below the frame the kingpin angle was off. Found that if the bone was mounted mid frame it all came in line, but I didn't like the way the tie rod end stuck out from the rail. So I laid the bracket sideways and thought about recessing it.

Got some1 1/8 x 3/16 steel strap, tack welded it around the bracket (picture 2).

Use whatever means to get it around the curved part of the bracket. Make sure the taper for the tie rod is facing the correct direction before tacking. Take the now edged bracket to the frame and find where it fits with your wishbone lengh. I have 32 rails so I did not want to screw up the reveal. My A bone mounts well in front of the reveal so I centered the bracket in the frame, checked for clearence, then scribed around the bracket. I used a cut off wheel for the straight cuts and a sabre saw for
    the curve. Do not cut the very front vertical cut until later. Gently bend the frame metal inside and out of the way. Fit the bracket into the hole and adjust the depth of the tie rod mount, then adjust the angle of the recess. Scribe a line around the bracket lip (picture 3).
    Remove the unneeded metal and grind to fit (pictures 4 and 5). Make sure both sides are even, but you already knew that.

Tack in place,check wishbone mounting, lengh, kingpin inclination,and that the tie rod ends do not rub the recess's back side. This is where I shortened my bracket about inch and adjusted the frame where I bent back the metal. Weld it in (picture 6). Still need to finish grinding it smooth (picture 7).
    Since I am running no frame horns, this got me a lower stance without a dropped axle, more tire clearence in sharp turns, better scrub line, and what I think is a cool look.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      170.2 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      129.6 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      79.6 KB
      Views:
    • 004.JPG
      004.JPG
      File size:
      85.9 KB
      Views:
    • 005.JPG
      005.JPG
      File size:
      75.6 KB
      Views:
    • 006.JPG
      006.JPG
      File size:
      104 KB
      Views:
    • 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      109.5 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  2. choptvan

choptvan

pix are not showin up. try again.

3. George G

George G

Interesting but we need pics

4. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Sorry anyone. Wrote it, put in the pictures, started about 4 this afternoon. Got done round 8. Went to take a.....personel time. F n red x's...........had a drink........any help?

5. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

Help........please........don't wanna be included with the fan belt thingy......

6. Pics still not working.

7. tpahemi

tpahemi

Marvin, the car in your avatar is a repo of Marvin's 1967 car. I worked on the orginal, also the 1969, 1970 cars. Are you the owner of the 67 repro?

8. go to www.photobucket.com and open a free acount.

upload the pix to it.

once they are in the photo bucket album,

hover on the pic and select the *IMG* code it will copy the code for you.

paste in the message box and the pix will show on the forum.-

it will look like this- (I removed the last "]" so the code would show)
    http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/ozespark3/myforum1.jpg[/IMG

and pic comes up - [IMG]http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg107/ozespark3/myforum1.jpg

go here (second post) for a step by step- http://hotrodforum.freeforums.org/help-with-posting-pix-t54.html .

Last edited: Mar 10, 2011
  9. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

No, it was at GNRS. Very cool FED. I just took a picture.

10. iammarvin

iammarvin
    BANNED
    from Tulare, Ca

More pics.

Attached Files:

• 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      66.3 KB
      Views:
    • 009.JPG
      009.JPG
      File size:
      51.1 KB
      Views:
  11. Gimpapotamus

Gimpapotamus

Very interesting and clean set up. Does it affect the strenght or structural integrity of the frame?