Register now to get rid of these ads!

Making interior panels

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by orphanautomill, Mar 6, 2011.

1. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

I searched here but with no luck, what are you guys using for making interior door panels? I've ready that some are using cardboard, but I'd like to use something more water resistant than that.

Thanks in advance

2. I have used Masonite and covered with vinyl. The De Soto I have is missing the pass and driver panels and I am about to fall back to carbon fiber if left exposed or fiberglass and cover it. I guess its not traditional but there is some tradition in using what you have around and the skills that you have...

3. auto shop

auto shop
    from kentucky

I use 1/8 hardboard it works well. Some are using Abs plastic.

4. yekoms

yekoms

I'm not an interior guy. This is stuff that was found on the intenet. It worked good for me. I used Sintra board. I think that it is closed cell pvc plastic. My panels are not covered yet. They are two layers thick with the clips glued between them. I used clear plastic to make patterns.
    Smokey

Attached Files:

5. orphanautomill

orphanautomill

Thanks for all the good ideas. I was thinking of the closed cell pvc as well, I have a local supplier that I could get it from pretty cheap.

6. Gator

Gator

I buy 'hardboard' from the local upholstery guy, sometimes I'll use luan plywood.

If you're worried about moisture either put plastic between the board and the door or use ABS if it's a roadster, etc.

7. junkmonger

junkmonger

Sintra works best. It's a PVC based foam:

http://www.foamboardsource.com/sintra-pvc-foam.html

It can be shaped with a heat gun if you're careful, and it's waterproof, unlike masonite and other wood products. You can also cut it into strips and use it for tack strips to hang a headliner.

8. cruzingratiot

cruzingratiot
    from Detroit MI

9. yekoms

yekoms

In my pic hole in the hardboard is to back up the Sintra board while drilling it.
    Smokey

Drillin' it with a unibit... not a regular twist drill bit.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  10. I've used expanded PVC sheet a number of times. You can get it in several thicknesses from any plastics supplier. McMaster Carr probably has it too. For an original trunk panel look, get some pebble grain paper sheets from Roy Nacewicz. Glue it to the PVC but as you lay it down use wifeys pie roller to press out any bubbles. Then paint th paper any color you want. Roys paper loves paint. The end result looks identical to the pebble cardboard original panel, but will never be affected by moisture.

11. Blue One

Blue One
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Alberta

Probably the best thing you can use is 1/8" thick ABS plastic sheet. Easy to cut, really strong and you can even form it easily with a heat gun. You can drill it for clips etc. and it is waterproof. Just get black ABS sheet in 1/8" a 4'X8' sheet is reasonable enough in price.

You can also glue your upholstery to it with 3M Super 77 spray adhesive.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  12. Hey Gang,I can top all that..(my dad can beat up your dad) LOL.Really,go to lowes and get a 4x8 sheet of what I call Carwash Bd.It's part fiberglass and part plastic. It's $35 bucks a 1/8 sheet and wprks great.Cut it with snips or jigsaw. Can be nailed,stapled,screwed and glued. 3M 77 sticks to it well.

Attached Files:

13. I used aliminium sheeting for my roadster. Still good to this day after 30 years and i got caught in the rain with no roof many times.

14. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

Unless you are also using some mechanical adhesion method, don't use 3M 77 adhesive - it fails at high temp. Fine for room temperatures, but not cars (0-140 F). NAPA or a good auto parts store (one that caters to pros) will have a better spray adhesive, also by 3M. Costs more, but worth it.

15. butch27

butch27

Sulley: What name does Lowes sell it under?

16. BuiltFerComfort

BuiltFerComfort

I had that stuff in a car and it seemed it did not like the atmosphere or vibration after a while, and basically fell apart into tiny pieces. I've heard good things about "plastic corrugated" which looks like corrugated cardboard, but made of plastic, and is available at sign shops. It's sometimes free after an political season or going out of business sale ends.

17. Troyz

Troyz

X2- this is exactly how we did it. Bill (the guy in the picture) told me to use 1/8" abs. He's a second generation upholsterer with about 50 years experience. I trust him & the 4'X8' sheet of 1/8" ABS was $48 locally.

[​IMG]

18. Just fabbed panels for the coupe out of clear lexan. This stuff is great, cuts easily with snips, long cuts with a stomp shear if you got it, dress the edges with a block plane. You can bend it with a brake if need be, this crap is indestructable. Best of all you can see through it, so you know exactly where to place your panel clips.

19. FOURTYDLX

FOURTYDLX

ron m. and gabe use luan. Calif., but thats in closed cars,where do you buy black abs board.?

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  20. 1971BB427

1971BB427
    from Oregon

I use Masonite (pegboard material without holes) and cover it.
    My last two projects got black naugahyde over it:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. 8-Track

8-Track

the reason most profesional upholsterers still use 1/8 th Luan is that you can staple it without it breaking and you can also sew it thru your sewing machine, also glue will not last as long as a mechanicle fastener such as a staple

22. Bad Eye Bill

Bad Eye Bill
    from NB Canada

I used this stuff in my 51 Dodge, been there 10 years with no problems.

Gas stations and fast food restaurants usually give it away, got mine at McDonalds.

23. junkmonger

junkmonger

Some of the old guys still use wood products, but most upholsterers now use Sintra.

It doesn't delaminate and splinter like luan or crumble like masonite, and you can staple it or glue it with 3M 90 High Strength Spray Adhesive (Do NOT use 3M 77, because it will come apart in heat).

Unlike wood products, you can also shape it into compound curves if you need to. Do yourself a favor and spend a little more and you'll have a quality job that lasts.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2011
  24. How much and where to get Sintra.I've seen it on line but no price or ordering. I want to put a custom headliner in my '62 Ranchero.

25. mj40's

mj40's

26. falconeer

falconeer

Hey gang,
    This is my specialty. I have done 4 of my cars(62-65) Falcons using ABS plastic. It's about 25.00-30.00$ a sheet and is great to work with. The oldest door panels are on my 65 sedan delivery(about 6 years) with no problems what so ever. Did my 63 about 4-5 mts.ago. Ben out side in the weather every sense. If you go to TFFN, fourms, Interior, about page 4or5 i wrote an article on how to and what to use. Here is my site with pics:
    http://public.fotki.com/falconeer/

Hope this helps:
    Butch Evans (Falconeer)
    Thomasville NC

27. bct

bct

i 100% agree... even hardware store contact is better....the worse it smells the better it is!

28. 5window

5window

Hate to be stupid, but what does TFFN stand for? The Fast Food Network just didn't seem like the right place.:) Edit: Oh, wait,"The Ford Falcon News"! I'll leave this up, and endure the heat, so others can find your post.

29. csimonds

csimonds

I just used Luan a few weeks ago. I strolled my happy ass into Joann's fabrics, bought 3 yards of 1/2 inch foam, and 4 yards of black marine grade vinyl. I then went to Home Depot and bought 1 sheet of 1/8inch Luan. Here's a few before and after pics. Very easy!!!! Also check out this old tech that I used.........
    http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=115914
    Good luck,
    Chuck

Attached Files:

30. Not sure the correct name but its used for "bathroom board".On the same isle as paneling.
    It is smooth and dull on one side and shiney and orange peel texture on the other.