Welcome to the THE H.A.M.B. forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

Go Back   THE H.A.M.B. > General Discussion > The Hokey Ass Message Board

Old 03-06-2011, 04:27 PM   #1
IRON MAIDEN

Default Jaguar salisbury/dana 44 gear swap conversion kits????

Has anyone tackled a gear swap in a Jag Salisbury differencial? Converting it to Dana 44 gears. I have read that there are kits available so that you can choose the many gear ratios available for Dana 44s. My series 3 XJ6 IRS has 2.82's in it. I would like to run 3.73's or something up to 4.10's.
Anyone know of a source for kits?
offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 05:44 PM   #2
26 roadster

Default Re: Jaguar salisbury/dana 44 gear swap conversion kits????

good luck on that one. I have 2.88 in mine,got a 30 spline dana 44 trac-lok, jag stub axles are 19 spline. checked on new stubs and they were 900.00. my rear end guy wouldn't even talk to me about thicker gears for the carrier. randy's has a locker for 3.73 up for 280.00.
Old 03-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #3
Jim Stabe
Grenade Inspector

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
Has anyone tackled a gear swap in a Jag Salisbury differencial? Converting it to Dana 44 gears. I have read that there are kits available so that you can choose the many gear ratios available for Dana 44s. My series 3 XJ6 IRS has 2.82's in it. I would like to run 3.73's or something up to 4.10's.
Anyone know of a source for kits?
Check the last 2 posts here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/jag-...nd-190481.html
Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Pir8Darryl
Old School HAMBer

If the info on the above link is correct, I'd think it simple to just sleve the bolt holes in the jag diff. There's even a chance that someone already makes the "shouldered" bolts to make it a bolt-in.
Has a 4 year shelf life
Old 03-07-2011, 10:35 AM   #5
IRON MAIDEN

Yeah, I've read all those. I can find a 100 of those threads, yet none will actually provide a source for parts. How can soooo many people have and use these rears for hot rods, yet we can't find gear swaps for them? Makes me want to scrap the idea and go back to my Explorer 8.8 and make it easy.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:17 PM   #6
26 roadster

looked for months on the net and got a lot of "kinda like" info, nothing you could use. Jag parts are completely out of my price range and they are very loyal to their parts(nothing else works). I can't or don't want to change the rear in the TVR and I really need a steeper gear, I am sure there is a way.
Old 03-11-2011, 12:28 PM   #7
Weasel
Old School HAMBer

Talk to Curt Hamilton at Hamilton Automotive in Van Nuys, CA Tel 818 787-9695 - he's been rebuilding Jag rearends since the '60s and knows everything there is to know and then some....
Old 03-16-2011, 01:30 AM   #8
IRON MAIDEN

Thanks. I'll give it a try...
Old 03-16-2011, 02:21 AM   #9
Warpspeed

I think you might be in a whole world of pain trying to change the ratio of an existing Jag diff.

Jag did make a 3.77 factory ratio, it may be easier to hunt one of those down and swap the entire diff.

Here is a list of Jag years/models and the available ratios.
http://www.uk-hotrods.co.uk/v2/tech/...r/tech_jag.php
Old 03-16-2011, 04:36 AM   #10
Hnstray
Alliance Member

keep me in the loop..............

Ray
Old 03-16-2011, 05:38 AM   #11
zman
Alliance Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 26 roadster View Post
looked for months on the net and got a lot of "kinda like" info, nothing you could use. Jag parts are completely out of my price range and they are very loyal to their parts(nothing else works). I can't or don't want to change the rear in the TVR and I really need a steeper gear, I am sure there is a way.
lol, the parts are neither expensive or hard to find. all the bearings are standard gm bearings.. as for the gearsets, as I said before...

But you can use Dana 44 gears. You have choices, use the later style carrier or sleeved or shouldered bolts, the holes in the Salisbury carrier are 7/16" and the holes on the Dana 44 ring gears are 3/8". Easy enough. Gear sets are $200-250. I've also heard of taking the holes on the gear to 7/16"

Quit making everything so hard people...
Old 03-16-2011, 08:11 AM   #12
26 roadster

my cost on dana gears is $300, it is the carrier that is my problem. I need a 3.73 up carrier with 19 spline side gears. I have finally found one at Randy's. still, $600 bones is a lot for me. It is the choices I made that made it hard not my attitude.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
IRON MAIDEN

Randy's????
Old 03-16-2011, 10:45 AM   #14
Warpspeed

I am looking for a 3.54 Jag diff for myself right now. Should be able to get a whole rear end or just the bare diff for around $400 (or less).

A set of new Dana gears in Australia costs about $300 plus $100 freight from the US, plus all the worries about bolts and carriers, it is just not worth the trouble.

Just buy a second hand diff, and sell the one I now have, and it should cost just about zero to change the ratio without much messing around.
Old 03-16-2011, 10:49 AM   #15
IRON MAIDEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by zman View Post
lol, the parts are neither expensive or hard to find. all the bearings are standard gm bearings.. as for the gearsets, as I said before...

But you can use Dana 44 gears. You have choices, use the later style carrier or sleeved or shouldered bolts, the holes in the Salisbury carrier are 7/16" and the holes on the Dana 44 ring gears are 3/8". Easy enough. Gear sets are $200-250. I've also heard of taking the holes on the gear to 7/16"

Quit making everything so hard people...

As you said before ???

As far as it being hard, I've never fooled with a differencial other than pulling the cover to change the fluid. So this is 100% new to me. Then you add to it that there is nothing to be found online showing how to do a gear swap.....
At this point, I almost don't care if it is possi or not as long as I had proper gears. I too have read that you need a different carrier for the 3.73 and up gears. By the way, with no experience.....not even sure what the carrier is ; ) See my problem? Now we have someone saying the axle spline don't match the D44's.....
As much as I want to use the Jag rear suspension with the Jag front suspension, I may scrap the idea. The more I look at this, the cost to rebuild the suspension + the $$$$ and questions of the gear swap..... may just be too expensive to use. Might have to just use the Explorer 8.8 I have sitting here.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:00 AM   #16
Warpspeed

Dana 44's do have two different spline counts, the smaller is usually fitted to front 44 diffs with smaller axles, and the larger to rear 44 diffs with fatter axles in different applications.
Jaguar used both at different times.
No way of knowing what you have without disassembly.
Changing the side gears in the carrier is all that is required, but it is just one more complication.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:06 AM   #17
26 roadster

Randy's ring and pinion, helpful folks. a 3.73 up carrier(locker unit) was less than $300 w/ the 19 spline side gears so your stub axles will work. My budget is $1000 for a new carrier, gear and labor. In my case I am not going to replace my rear with a solid axle though. I have watched your thread, don't give up now man.
Old 03-16-2011, 11:05 PM   #18
IRON MAIDEN

Is that just the carrier or the gears too?
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 AM   #19
worken2much

I don't know jack about Jag rears. I have swapped gears in Dana 44's. If I remember correctly, I bought the gearsets off E-bay for aroud 120 - 150 bucks. New in factory styrafoam box.

There are two different Dana carriers. I believe the switch comes at 4:11. One carrier will accomodate 4:11 & lower, like 5:38 etc.

They are kinda a pain to set up. The pinion goes in first. The pinion bearings are a pres fit. Shops that do a bunch of these rears will hone out a pair of pinion bearings to make them a slip fit as the shims controlling pinion depth are between the rear bearing and gear. Consequently, if after installing the pinion the gear engagement with the ring gear isn't correct, the rear pinion bearing has to be pressed off again to change shims. It's a lot easier with the rear out of the car too.

Find yourself a local 4 wheeling Jeep shop. If they are the real deal they will be able to swap out your gears no sweat. Jeeps used the 44 too. It's one of the most popular rears ever. Came in Ford pickups, old Mercurys, IHC's. I've been told that even Honda used them in some of their cars.

Good luck
Worken2much
Old 03-17-2011, 07:18 PM   #20
26 roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRON MAIDEN View Post
Is that just the carrier or the gears too?
that was for a "posi" (locker) carrier. ring and pinion is 150-300 more and new bearings.
jags are not dana 44's, just that some of the parts interchange. this what I got when I searched the web, everything sounds easy, but no specific info. I am taking mine to the "cobra guy" locally and watch him do it. maybe then I will know exactly how to do it.