Register now to get rid of these ads!

Unchopping a chopped 57 Ford Ranchero windshield

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by exStreamliner, Mar 6, 2011.

1. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I'll start with a few current pixs and then start from the beginning

[​IMG]

2. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

The Ranchero was chopped 2 & 3/8"

[​IMG]

3. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Several years ago I purchased a chopped 57 Ranchero... intial cuts were made and it appeared to be well thought out or done by someone that had chopped one before... but... not having a windshied and being for sale for a reasonable price doesn't alway indicate a good chop... so when I measured a Retractable Hardtop cowl opening I thought I had the perfect solution - WRONG

4. Dads-53

Dads-53

My helpers are not as pretty as yours and don't dress that nice out in the shop.
    Good luck, had a 57 when my helper and I got married in 65.

5. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Those of you that know 57's are aware that the lower drian area below the wrap around windshield can get get moisture under the sealer and causes a rust problem... so replacing part of the cowl and replacing a windshield that would be an OEM replacement seemed logical at the time... and, I had the Retractable roof section in case we ran into trouble mating the surfaces (I had no idea how much trouble I was in)

[​IMG]

6. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

we measured the opening several times - because even though it measured the same it just didn't look right... but it still seemed the way to go... after we blasted the car another major problem came to the surface... the cowl had been hit and the repair was typical of the 50's - beat it out until the sheet metal hangs right, brase the seams in a few places, and drive it (after all ya can't see it)... now it made sense to remove all the damage while we were at it...

[​IMG]

7. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

8. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

First off... this seems like a lot of work... but, look at the original paint under the bed panel and add the fact that I have NOS quarters, rockers, fenders, and it if your going to decide to use the stuff - ya better have something worth putting the NOS parts on... the verdict is still out

[​IMG]

9. badshifter

badshifter

Wow! I'm sure it's gonna work out at some point, but this sure seems like the long way about doing, or undoing a chop.

10. nice and classy! the car is tits too! keep up the good work, thats a serious repair.

11. Geez , Thats all I can think of to say . You have quite a project ahead of you. Sometimes rust is not the only thing that you have to worry about . I am going to subscribe and watch your progress. Andy..

12. unbelievable, that is a lot of work, but judging by your other stuff, it looks like you're up to the challenge. Looks like you're going about it the right way. Keep us update. I love to see this stuff as it progresses.

13. iamflashman

iamflashman

I have an extra pretty decent windshield for 57 ranchero. If you come down for Lone star round up, hit me up and I could give it to you for testing and what not.

14. chevyshack

chevyshack

What car? Oh i see it now. lol Yea i would pass and just got one that wasnt chopped.

15. caseyscustoms

caseyscustoms
    BANNED
    from st.joe, MO

16. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

We didn't remove the chopped top... it's still chopped 2 3/8" inches... we replaced the front cowl section with a Fairlane 500 series cowl which has a factory chop of 1 1/4" which would result in unchopping (or opening) the windshied 1 1/8"

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Of the fourteen 57's I have owned over the years only two were the 500 series all the rest were the Custom 300 series.... in retrospect - it makes perfect sense that since the factory wasn't using the same upper door frames or roofs on the Fairlanes that changing the angle to lower the greenhouse and widening the roof to match was the easiest way to chop the top an inch and a quarter...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Holy can-o-worms batman!

19. Those windshields and rubbers are a nasty fit in an unchopped Ranchero. My trim never fit rite around the windshield. Love those cars though, especially chopped. Nice job, sometimes you have to slice and dice to make it rite. Pat.

20. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

I hate to keep skipping around... but, it might be easier to visualize seeing a comparision shot... so the final result is a chopped Ranchero with a Retractable cowl and front roof section which required new A pillar angles and wider front roof panel... all Ford
    [​IMG]

21. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

All I can say is that I want to see this one when it is done. You always read the so called advise when you contemplate chopping a wagon, Ranchero or Elkie or other rig with a taller roof that "oh yea, just stick a hardtop or rag top windshield in it an lower the roof to it. It doesn't look all that easy here but it looks like you are doing a hell of a nice job and have it well planned out.

22. badshifter

badshifter

I'm getting it now. More pictures of your helper would clear it up completely.

Boryca likes this.
  23. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

If you look closely at the picture to the left you can see how the A pillar was laid back during the chop... the one on the right is an unchopped door with the Retractable trim setting in front - the A pillar change is significantly more prominent... since the door would have to be re-chopped we started with a replacement passenger door to avoid any tweeks that the earlier fender bender might have caused...

[​IMG]

24. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Well planned... Hell NO! we just got caught with our pants down and had two choices... scrap it or fix it

25. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

[​IMG]

I wouldn't want anyone to loose thier focus... this is confusing enough! and, I was there...

26. The37Kid

The37Kid

Good luck with the project, look forward to more reports and photos. I'm a Pre 1941 car guy, seeing 1950's and '60's projects is just so overwhelming, so many things to align, and get to fit correctly. The time envolved is going to be off the charts, if you do keep track of it.

27. looks great, good idea to try a stock lower windshield surround to fix the problem, did you brace the frame or keep checking the fit to make sure no warping happened in the frame while welding? if you find post sedan 500 doors you can make stainless trim for the door surrounds. your going to have what would be a 500 Ranchero, real neat!

28. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Understood... this is the tow rig for the exStreamliner... that's what happens when you build a car that isn't street friendly or up-to-date for current racing safety spec's... I can look like I'm going to the races, cackle around the event and not be cited for no headlights or windshield... but I have a perfectly good 57 wagon that didn't need any body work... some folks just like to self-inflict pain...

[​IMG]

More pixs of the 27 @ http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431579

29. exStreamliner

exStreamliner

Now the saving grace... the 300 Series had a slightly higher crown than the 500 Series... but since the 500's were wider and the Ranchero roof had to be spread out to allow the Retract area to sit within the drip rails... it pancaked the Ranchero roof and they mated like factory parts... amazing

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]